NCAA Gymnastics

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Yippee! My TiVo picked up THREE meets for January 10th, all on SEC. Missouri at Kentucky at 6, LSU at Georgia at 7:30, and Alabama at Auburn at 9. All times Eastern.

On the 11th, Oklahoma at Arizona State will air on ESPNU at 6:30.

Let the season begin!

Aceon6

My TiVo just picked up another meet, but it’s on an obscure channel. If you happen to get BYU-TV, Nebraska at BYU is airing tonight at 7:30 Eastern.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
My TiVo just picked up another meet, but it’s on an obscure channel. If you happen to get BYU-TV, Nebraska at BYU is airing tonight at 7:30 Eastern.

BYUTV is online too.
You have to register an email, but it’s perhaps the best produced college gym stream that’s completely free without geoblock.
They were a top 20 team and had the Super Mario Bros FX last season. :)
I believe they archive for about a month if anyone misses it.

Aceon6

Well, BYU was a pleasant surprise. With their best AAer out, and the fall on vault, I had them pegged as goners from the first routine. Nice recovery!

Lucy25

I heaven right now watching three different meets tonight on the SEC Network! Still routing for my fav LSU. Love seeing all the new freshmen on all the teams.

skipaway

SEC Broadcaster's Scantily Clad Girls Remark

The comment occurred during Saturday’s Arkansas-Missouri basketball game, as Booker and announcer Richard Cross discussed an advertised gymnastics broadcast.

As Cross mused the meet could be a good Valentine’s Day activity, Booker countered that his interest was in the “scantily clad girls.”

No one seems to be learning in the day and age of #MeToo. Would he have said this if his daughter was a gymnest? Probably not...what a dick.

Aceon6

Wow. I thought I was finally going to see Denver on ESPN2, but either ESPN OR my TiVo failed me. I wish I got more than SEC and BYU in my cable package.

West coasters, please fill me in.

annie720

Wow. I thought I was finally going to see Denver on ESPN2, but either ESPN OR my TiVo failed me. I wish I got more than SEC and BYU in my cable package.

West coasters, please fill me in.
I just got an email from Denver telling me the the meet is sold out. Just 90 minutes ahead of start time. Good thing I wasn't planning to go. :) I went to last week's meet with GW at Denver. Denver looked really good, but it was hard watching Lynnzee Brown sustain that wicked-looking injury on the final tumbling pass of the entire meet. ARghhh! I'm afraid her absence is going to have a big impact on the team's ability to score high. They really did look awesome last week.

Aceon6

Holy close meet. UCLA/Utah was ev er y thing. It’s a shame one team had to lose. Props to the Skinnerless Utah team.

Lucy25

Holy close meet. UCLA/Utah was ev er y thing. It’s a shame one team had to lose. Props to the Skinnerless Utah team.
It was great! I have a question, though. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about Kyla Ross‘s bar routine? I understand she has terrific form and all of that, but I just do not see the difficulty. What am I missing?

Aceon6

It was great! I have a question, though. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about Kyla Ross‘s bar routine? I understand she has terrific form and all of that, but I just do not see the difficulty. What am I missing?
The skills she’s doing are similar to others, but there’s hardly any downtime in her routine and she doesn’t need to stand on the bar and doesn’t need to muscle a handstand. She moves from skill to skill without any stops, so her routine looks more difficult.

Unfortunately, NCAA‘s expectations for a 10.0 start value actually discourages gymnasts from adding anything more risky in a routine, so she’s getting the “Olympian with excellent form” treatment. It’s a PCS bonus if you’re thinking skating.

Erin

Banned Member

I agree it's not that difficult, but it does meet the minimum requirements. Gymnasts start at 9.4 and then have to build up from there. She gets 0.1 bonus for the two D value individual release skills that she does back and forth between the bars, then another 0.2 for putting them in combination with each other, and she gets 0.2 for her dismount, which is an E. So she hits all the requirements to get to a 10.

After that, the question is form, and I do think her form is really special. There is really nothing to take from the routine when she hits the handstands and sticks the dismount, so that's why she gets so many 10s on the event. I personally think her routine is too easy to start from a 10, but since it does, I think the correct judging is to give her a 10 when she doesn't make mistakes because of the quality of the routine.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Just got tickets to the Big Ten gymnastics championships which are being held at Ohio State later this month. I am SO excited to see some college gymnastics in person again! I've gone to the regionals at OSU a few times but never an actual championships so I think this will be really cool. We're going to both the afternoon and evening sessions. Should be a great competition! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
If you can find a replay of Utah at Washington today from the Pac12 Network, I definitely recommend watching!

@HeatherC Nice! Hopefully Minnesota and Nebraska perform to potential so it's a good battle with Michigan. :) And good luck to your team.

Aceon6

UCLA has prohibited spectators from senior night. I wonder if the various divisional championships will be impacted and how that might change nominations to sectionals? Personally, if a team’s NQS is within a half point of the cutoff, I’d let them qualify.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
No Big Ten championships for me next weekend now. They've restricted the spectator list for the event to families, coaches, officials, and a few others with special permission, none of which include me. I am SO disappointed because this event doesn't always come this close to me so I have no idea when I might get to go to it again. :(

BTW-I understand the need to act with the whole COVID-19 thing and making the safe decision but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed that I have to miss attending the event now. :wuzrobbed

Bellanca

No Big Ten championships for me next weekend now. They've restricted the spectator list for the event to families, coaches, officials, and a few others with special permission, none of which include me. I am SO disappointed because this event doesn't always come this close to me so I have no idea when I might get to go to it again. :(

BTW-I understand the need to act with the whole COVID-19 thing and making the safe decision but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed that I have to miss attending the event now. :wuzrobbed
You can be disappointed, I am. My colleagues and I were set to cover NCAA events, Worlds, etc., etc., but not counting on that so much now - or at least at the moment.

Look on the bright side, it appears (cautionary assumption) they are still moving ahead w/ Big Ten. Subject to change, of course. Sadly, this cannot be said for many other sporting events. That’s okay. It is the correct call (for the moment) to cancel or postpone. The majority of athletes will adjust. They're hearty souls. The hard part and heartbreak is for the athletes who have a shorter competitive shelf life or who are in the latter to ending stages of their competitive careers. This is a setback for them. 😢

ETA: I had to clean this comment up. I was on my iPhone when posting, initially, traveling bumpy terrain while trying to type... rarely turns out well. :cautious: My thoughts and opinions remain the same, but I felt like my comments needed some adjustment and clarification.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Good news for NCAA spring athletes. Anyone who’d like to compete in 2021 is getting an extra season of eligibility. We might see a few as those already planning on grad school may decide to give it one more season.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Good news for NCAA spring athletes. Anyone who’d like to compete in 2021 is getting an extra season of eligibility. We might see a few as those already planning on grad school may decide to give it one more season.

Oh that is good news! Do you have a link please? I hope that eventually that will include gymnasts like Kyla Ross! Otherwise, what an awful way to end ones NCAA Gymnastics career. 😢

Aceon6

Oh that is good news! Do you have a link please? I hope that eventually that will include gymnasts like Kyla Ross! Otherwise, what an awful way to end ones NCAA Gymnastics career. 😢
To qualify, the athlete must remain a full time student, so I don’t expect that many to stay with their current schools/programs unless they need credits to graduate.What will be exciting will be to see if any stars decide to pull on leos for a brand new school as grad students. Grad students don’t have to sit out a season.

Erin

Banned Member
Gymnastics is a winter sport rather than a spring sport, so it appears they are still deciding what to do about those sports. I'm hoping they allow the gymnasts an extra year. The other question will be how it affects scholarship limitations.

I think if they do allow it, there will be plenty who will be ready to move on in any event. E.g. there are lots of gymnasts who could redshirt due to injury and choose not to take it. Often their bodies are just barely hanging on. But I could see as many as half taking the extra year.

Aceon6

Systemic racial problems coming to light at Auburn and other programs. Reports range from daily micro aggressions to outright racial bullying. I guess if you’re not the star, it can be downright depressing to be on some teams.

Rob

Beach Bum
It seems that even being the star wasn't enough to protect minority athletes. In this ESPN article, NCAA all-around champ Kytra Hunter talks about racist treatment at Florida.
And Kennedy Baker says the same. Wow. I do see at least one gymnast on the Florida roster during that time who was from the gym Gabby Douglas spoke negatively about after her OGM.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
ESPN article about racism in collegiate women's gymnastics

Black collegiate gymnasts describe culture of racism, isolation

There's a lot here with stories from Alabama, Auburn, and Florida among others. Reading it I was struck that Tia Kiaku must be an incredible leader, which is why Alabama worked so hard to silence her.

[During a team meeting]Kiaku said she did not explicitly call any teammates racists but rather explained how their words and actions "had racist connotations."

According to Duckworth's notes to university officials, the parent of one white gymnast called to say she was "very upset about their child being accused of being a racist in a team meeting." Duckworth then took time to visit each of the girls who "were traumatized." She did not reach out to Kiaku until two days later, when she asked Kiaku to meet in her office [to encourage her to 'step away' from the program

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information