NBC to show 2 hour commemorative of American skating Sunday afternoon at 2 PM EST

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
NBC has scheduled a 2 hour show commemorating 100 years of American skating for this Sunday at 2 PM EST.

A two-hour special commemorating the 100th anniversary of U.S. Figure Skating airs on NBC on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.

NBC Sports analysts and national champions Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir will relive top performances from the U.S. Championships over the last decade, interviewing skaters including Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Nathan Chen, Gracie Gold and Mariah Bell.
So they’ll relive the NBC era...and to heck with the other 90 years? Puh-leez don’t call it a “commemoration of 100 years...” So no Peggy, Dick, Janet, Dorothy, Scott, Brian, Blumberg-Siebert, Tai/Randy, Carrutherses, etc. Just Chen (justified) and pre-puberty Liu, a couple of Ice Dance teams thrown in.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
So they’ll relive the NBC era...and to heck with the other 90 years? Puh-leez don’t call it a “commemoration of 100 years...” So no Peggy, Dick, Janet, Dorothy, Scott, Brian, Blumberg-Siebert, Tai/Randy, Carrutherses, etc. Just Chen (justified) and pre-puberty Liu, a couple of Ice Dance teams thrown in.
My thought Exactly!!

Colonel Green

Don’t you make them pay another network for the rights to things!

manhn

How long has NBC aired Nationals? If it's just the past decade, then I can't be too upset. Can't expect them to have the rights to ABC's footage. But the first sentence made me really excited.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Well it looks like we know Mariah Bell will win Nationals... Why the hell would they show HER?! She's cute as a button, but her skating is weak. No consistent 3/3, no great international results. But she is SO ADORABLE!!!! gag. USFS strikes again....

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Well it looks like we know Mariah Bell will win Nationals... Why the hell would they show HER?! She's cute as a button, but her skating is weak. No consistent 3/3, no great international results. But she is SO ADORABLE!!!! gag. USFS strikes again....
Alright, this is some nonsense. Two GP medals last season, a great Nationals free skate, solid results for team USA the last few years. Guess what? With Liu not eligible for senior events yet, she is nationally the highest-ranked athlete at the moment.

Tennell gets beat up a ton on this board and by Weir for a while, but now it seems that’s going to shift to Bell. I get it. Her LP is pretty terrible IMO. But it’s not as if she came out of nowhere and hasn’t produced any decent results.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Alright, this is some nonsense. Two GP medals last season, a great Nationals free skate, solid results for team USA the last few years. Guess what? With Liu not eligible for senior events yet, she is nationally the highest-ranked athlete at the moment.

Tennell gets beat up a ton on this board and by Weir for a while, but now it seems that’s going to shift to Bell. I get it. Her LP is pretty terrible IMO. But it’s not as if she came out of nowhere and hasn’t produced any decent results.
What is Bradie's international ranking compared to Bell?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Bradie is actually #2 in the world standings, but last year's Worlds was cancelled so take with a grain of salt.

Last season's World Rankings, she was 6th and Bell was 27th.

Frau Muller

How long has NBC aired Nationals? If it's just the past decade, then I can't be too upset. Can't expect them to have the rights to ABC's footage. But the first sentence made me really excited.
Oh, knowing NBC, this will be just a rehash of their coverage since about 2014 - the start of the Tara-Johnny era - to promote upcoming Nationals and show corny Toyota & Homelight ads. I may peek-in just to hear the fake build-up to Ladies...”Will Alysa three-peat?” You know it’s coming. Who’ll use the word “three-peat” first? Maybe have a drinking game? 😝

tony

What is Bradie's international ranking compared to Bell?
So now ISU rankings mean everything? They have very similar results the last few seasons. This is the 100 years of USFS thread. Bell is nationally the highest-ranked eligible skater.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Hope y'all enjoy watching 100 years of USFS. My local NBC channel is showing FIS Alpine Skiing. It's the Worlds Cup - Women's Giant Slalom from Courchevel, France. Since there's no Dorothy, Scott, Brian, Tai & Randy, Peter & Kitty, Michelle Kwan, etc. etc. etc., I won't mind so much.

Just editing. My Direct TV schedule is messed up apparently. According to my schedule, the 100 years of USFS is scheduled for Saturday, 1 p.m. central time.

I may need to reset my HD terminal so it will update. All I know is that my schedule is messed up.:huh:

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

The press release does does say...

More than 100 years of national competition produced legends of the sport. Notably, since World War II: seven-time U.S. champion Dick Button, nine-time champion Michelle Kwan, five-time pairs’ champions Karol Kennedy and Peter Kennedy and Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner and six-time ice dance champions Davis and White
... so I think a lot of the skaters you mention will be recognized.

As far as "a couple of ice dance teams thrown in" - :rolleyes:. Davis and White more than deserve inclusion.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So now ISU rankings mean everything? They have very similar results the last few seasons. This is the 100 years of USFS thread. Bell is nationally the highest-ranked eligible skater.
No need to be spikey :)

What do you mean, highest ranked eligible skater?

NAOTMAA

I do hope it doesn't turn into a Lui hype event. Girl doesn't need anymore pressure then she already has and the general public don't need to be given potential false hopes. What her skating will look like post puberty is still up in the air

After everything that happened with Gracie and Nathan bombing the SP in Korea I would think they learned a lesson in over hyping but the last two nationals and the way they've been talking about Alysa seems to suggest they haven't. They never ever do so I guess its stupid to expect it :lol:

tony

No need to be spikey :)

What do you mean, highest ranked eligible skater?
Welp, just as I said in the post prior: Liu is not eligible for senior competition. Bell was 2nd at Nationals. She’s the top-ranked eligible skater nationally, and for good measure, she also won Skate America.

And spikey? Did you read the prior comments?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@tony I believe that poster was referencing/ satirizing a discussion currently going on in the US ladies thread. If you didn't have that context, yeah his comment would look very strange.

Frau Muller

The press release does does say...

... so I think a lot of the skaters you mention will be recognized.

As far as "a couple of ice dance teams thrown in" - :rolleyes:. Davis and White more than deserve inclusion.
Ah, so they’ll flash b&w photos of the earlier US greats...in a 30-second montage, most likely? No, thanks. A true commemoration of 100 years of US skating would show substantial clips & some full programs of the greats. True history. The sort of historical arts programming that used to be on PBS but even PBS has a commercial patina now.

Last edited:

mtnskater

I can’t believe all the complaining and griping here for an event that hasn’t even aired yet. 🙄 I got very excited when I read that NBC is doing a figure skating broadcast this weekend. I am grateful for any skating TV coverage we get this year and will enjoy the show!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I can’t believe all the complaining and griping here for an event that hasn’t even aired yet. 🙄 I got very excited when I read that NBC is doing a figure skating broadcast this weekend. I am grateful for any skating TV coverage we get this year and will enjoy the show!
Well, when you read the show description... How much can you celebrate 100 years of US Figure Skating when you're only reliving/reairing programs from the past decade? That's 90 years worth of archival footage that NBC isn't willing to go negotiate with ABC or CBS for access. That is a damn shame because who wouldn't want to see footage of some of the legendary skaters the US has produced. Some enterprising, skilled person could probably put together a better commemoration just using videos on YouTube than what we are likely to get this Sunday from NBC.

Frau Muller

By the way, didn’t NBC create (own rights to) those four gorgeous Peggy Fleming specials from the 1968-73 period (Here’s Peggy, Sun Valley, Fm Europe with Love and Peggy Visits the USSR)? If NBC really cared about skating history they’d restore and release them as a DVD boxed set. 😉

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I threw in my suggestions, but I suspect only one of them will make it. And I hope they get aired with the original commentary, because whatever you think of Scott Hamilton, at least he brought the requisite amount of excitement to Jason's Riverdance. The thought of Weir ruining that skate is pretty horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information