NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

aftershocks

Banned Member
You have to select NBCSN or OlyChan in the top menu bar on the NBCSports.com main page, then sign in with those credentials. That will show all that content IF you have a cable plan that includes NBCSports and/or the OlyChan. It’s much easier in the app, everything just shows side by side.

Okay, thanks. That means you can't get optional coverage with only the NBC Gold subscription.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks, but that's not what you seemed to indicate in your initial phrasing:

Gold subscribers have a choice of US Nationals replays. Clicking on the one labeled Gold gives you the Tanith/Charlie version. Click on anything else, it's Tara/Johnny...

meggonzo

Banned Member
I finally got an email response from NBC Gold support for the laptop login issue that occurred the Saturday morning of Euros and U.S. Nats. I forgot I even submitted an issue with them. Of course the response was generic and would not have solved the issue, had I received it in a timely manner.

mollymgr

I finally got an email response from NBC Gold support for the laptop login issue that occurred the Saturday morning of Euros and U.S. Nats. I forgot I even submitted an issue with them. Of course the response was generic and would not have solved the issue, had I received it in a timely manner.
They are not helpful at all. The emails usually arrive two weeks later with a nonanswer reply.:wall:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Gold members can get free access to other sports passes now. Watch for the email from NBCSports. I signed up for golf, snow and cycling. Free stuff! Thanks, NBC,

maureenfarone

Wow NBC Gold has finally put the replays back on the Roku app. The replays have been missing since January and 3 emails and calls later it looks like it might be fixed. Maybe I'll try watching Euros Mens competition which I never finished!

maureenfarone

I use Roku and the replays have always been available.
I guess the problem didn't happen for everyone. I contacted support 3 times and got the same story each time that something happened when the app was updated and replays were missing for Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Firesticks. A friend who has a Roku (and lives very far away from me with a different provider) had the same problem I did. I realized during U. S. Nationals that the replays were missing from the Roku. No amount of logging out and back in or initializing solved the problem. I called for the 3rd time last week and got the same answer - but just now I checked and it appears they are back. After the news I'll see if Europeans is available and watch the Mens competition. Believe me, I have been totally angry about this situation.

I could find the competitions on my very old laptop, but the sound is terrible so watching for hours is just not an option.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Is anyone other than me waiting for Sports Gold to do an automatic renewal charge even though there's no guarantee there will even be a season?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I mean I'm sure they can do it if you opted in to auto-renew regardless if the season starts in September or in May. It takes two seconds to go to your profile and turn it off, if you have it set to that.

Debbie S

In past years, renewal has been charged mid-late August. By then, we should know if there is a GP season and USFS will likely have made a decision about the qualifying season. If there won't be any skating, I assume we won't be charged?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
In past years, renewal has been charged mid-late August. By then, we should know if there is a GP season and USFS will likely have made a decision about the qualifying season. If there won't be any skating, I assume we won't be charged?

If they advertise the new year to say that it includes all the past seasons archives worth of footage and you keep it as auto-renew, I'm sure that it becomes your fault for not stopping subscription. A lot of companies earn endless money from people who are too lazy or forget to cancel their memberships.

aftershocks

Banned Member
ETA: My comments are in reference to Debbie S' post:
They would need to make an official statement well in advance that auto-renewals will not take effect due to the season not taking place, unless they plan to provide some type of content at a substantially reduced price.

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

^^ They would need to make an official statement well in advance that auto-renewals will not take effect due to the season not taking place, unless they plan to provide some type of content at a substantially reduced price.
Tony is right. I don't think they are required to do anything. The last time they charged my card was Sept 2019 so I went in and removed auto renew. I am sure I will get an email reminder to change it back if there is a season of any kind.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I mean I'm sure they can do it if you opted in to auto-renew regardless if the season starts in September or in May. It takes two seconds to go to your profile and turn it off, if you have it set to that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have just opted out and have suggested to a number of my friends (who might not have been thinking about it) that they do the same.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yeah, I didn't even realize I could turn it off as many of my other subscriptions don't have this feature or rather it's not a simple switch but requires a bit of work. And sometimes no warnings before they charge you either. This was very easy.

Debbie S

If they advertise the new year to say that it includes all the past seasons archives worth of footage and you keep it as auto-renew, I'm sure that it becomes your fault for not stopping subscription. A lot of companies earn endless money from people who are too lazy or forget to cancel their memberships.
True. Although as rfisher noted, they usually send an email before they charge, so we'll probably get a chance to decline then. Good to know it's easy to switch off auto-renew. I'll wait a few more weeks and see if we'll actually have anything to watch this season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks @Lizziebeth. I actually hadn't seen @Tony Wheeler's post before I posted. I intended to reference @Debbie S' post with my comments. We'll see what happens. NBC definitely should make some kind of an announcement under these unusual circumstances.

Personally, I'd rather not lose all the previous archived events, which possibly could happen by turning off auto-renew. I can't see them charging the full annual fee if they aren't going to provide new season content.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Now there’s one more thing to keep an eye on. It wouldn’t surprise me if they move all the sports from Gold to Peacock. The original intent of Peacock was to launch in time of the 2020 O’s and have the real-time events there and charge many $$$.

Lizziebeth

Thanks @Lizziebeth. I actually hadn't seen @Tony Wheeler's post before I posted. I intended to reference @Debbie S' post with my comments. We'll see what happens. NBC definitely should make some kind of an announcement under these unusual circumstances.

Personally, I'd rather not lose all the previous archived events, which possibly could happen by turning off auto-renew. I can't see them charging the full annual fee if they aren't going to provide new season content.
Well, I do not want to be charged this year if there are no events. If the season appears, I can join again. Getting a refund can be a pain.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Personally, I'd rather not lose all the previous archived events, which possibly could happen by turning off auto-renew.
That would be illegal. You've paid for them. They can't deny you access just because you turn off a feature that they provide to everyone. You've still paid.

maureenfarone

Usually NBC send out an email with info and cost information for NBC Sports Gold. I haven't received an email yet and definitely want to see any of the qualification and mini GP events which are held.

Has anyone received an email from NBC about the figure skating pass?

sk9tingfan

Usually NBC send out an email with info and cost information for NBC Sports Gold. I haven't received an email yet and definitely want to see any of the qualification and mini GP events which are held.

Not yet. The same occurred to me this morning.

annie720

Nope. Last year I received a renewal email on Aug 16 for a subscription that expired on Sept 16. My current subscription expires on Sept 1 and I've heard nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information