NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

BittyBug

Disgusted
FYI there is a technical issue currently preventing Sports Gold from working on laptops and desktops. They are aware of and working on the issue. In the meantime, it works on mobile.

CassAgain

Yeah, I had never used it on my Kindle Fire or phone so I was logging in for the first time. Do you have to download something to support the player?

kwanatic

What’s the deal with the replays? Ever since my FireTV updated this app I can no longer access any of the previous events. Only thing available for replay are the events from this past week... Anybody else having this issue?

Hedwig

Antique member
Is there a way for viewers outside the US to watch Nationals? I would buy a season pass to NBC gold but I cannot do that being outside the US.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
What’s the deal with the replays? Ever since my FireTV updated this app I can no longer access any of the previous events. Only thing available for replay are the events from this past week... Anybody else having this issue?
I’m using a Fire Stick. All the replays are showing including the option for the Whites over you know who. I’d email support. Include your device info and ISP info.

maureenfarone

I have a Roku and have the same problem. I sent an email and received a response that the videos were not uploaded when the app was updated. I waited a couple of weeks and sent another email and received a reply that work was being done and I should be able to see them shortly. I checked a few days ago and the only replays available are from Euros and this Nationals. I can access all the videos from my laptop, just not with the app on the Roku.

BaileyCatts

Is the stream when you watch on Sports Gold the same thing you are seeing on NBC/NBCSN, or a completely different camera views? So basically you are watching the NBC broadcast, just with no commentary or different announcers (but you get the entire event, not just last groups that NBC shows), is that right? I don't have it so just wondering what you are actually seeing.

Aceon6

Is the stream when you watch on Sports Gold the same thing you are seeing on NBC/NBCSN, or a completely different camera views? So basically you are watching the NBC broadcast, just with no commentary or different announcers (but you get the entire event, not just last groups that NBC shows), is that right? I don't have it so just wondering what you are actually seeing.
Yes and no. For the earliest group(s) and events that aren’t going to be broadcast live on over the air NBC, US Nationals can be a stripped down production... typically one or two cameras, no close ups, no onscreen graphics, no replays. For ISU events other than SkAm, they tap into the ISU stream with graphics and replays.

JOHIO2

FYI there is a technical issue currently preventing Sports Gold from working on laptops and desktops. They are aware of and working on the issue. In the meantime, it works on mobile.
Gold has been a problem on laptops and desktops ALWAYS. The only reason I am not constantly complaining about that is the fact that I prefer to use my tv and Roku. And even there, NBC Gold has had problems this week. I do not see why NBC has such problems. I "cut the cord" several years ago and use several streaming apps with my Roku. Even the "free" apps do NOT have the constant problems that Gold has shown. NBC better "get with the program" before the Olympics. If they think fs fans are complainers, just wait until they see what people wanting to see Olympic events will say about them and their glitches!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oddly enough, I've had MUCH better luck with the desktop/laptop version than I ever had with the app. It's beginning to look like I may have to uninstall and reinstall the app every time I want to use it.

annie720

Oddly enough, I've had MUCH better luck with the desktop/laptop version than I ever had with the app. It's beginning to look like I may have to uninstall and reinstall the app every time I want to use it.
Same for me. I've never had any problems on the laptop and that's how I usually watch. My TV has the app through xfinity and the main problem with that is with the replays. I can see all of the older stuff but can't figure out how to fast forward. I can FF through the replays on roku, but it doesn't have the older material. Both of the TV options have been fine for live streaming.

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
The app update on my Fire has made the experience less stellar for me.
It used to remember your selection of sport if you exited the app and went back without turning the firestick off, now it doesnt. The icons are also bigger, so it feels like it takes longer to navigate to the figure skating replay.

In general I'm still annoyed that when you only have ONE subscription (no cable, no nothing, just figure skating gold), it doesn't show figure skating first in the app. Or at least remembers the selection or hides all the crap I don't have access to (I realize they want to sell me all the other sports, so that is not happening).

I also wished, since they should have access to it?, that you could pick the audio track, eg commentary or no commentary.

but over all I'm still satisfied with the general quality of the stream and the speed at which the replays are up (I rarely have time to watch live). Enough to keep paying.

Oh one more thing - I know from my husbands MTB watching on redbull tv that they have a cool feature on the replays that tags the stream with the riders names so you can fast forwards to the ones you want to see. I really would love that feature!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Last night the Mens FS disappeared from the list of Replays on my TV (which uses a different version of the App from when I watch using AppleTV). Has anyone else experienced that?

I was hoping they were patching Jason and Nathan back into the replay, but that is probably wishful thinking. :)

maureenfarone

Last night the Mens FS disappeared from the list of Replays on my TV (which uses a different version of the App from when I watch using AppleTV). Has anyone else experienced that?

I was hoping they were patching Jason and Nathan back into the replay, but that is probably wishful thinking. :)
The Men's FS is available on NBC Gold on my Roku. Right now I am watching Tomoki and expect to see Nathan and Jason since the Gold stream continued on with no interruption for breaking news. I don't know what the replay from NBCSN would show.

dinakt

I am sending good thoughts for people who had feed interruptions. I feel for you, as I had no reliable feed with icenetwork for years and it was incredibly frustrating.
So far, NBC Sports Gold has been like a dream. Good quality, no interruptions, totally reliable (knocking on wood 1000 times so I do not regret writing it)- I am using Safari.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I couldn't watch any of Nats/Euros on my desk top. It was fine during the GPF. Tech person on the phone couldn't help me. I watched on my tablet.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I feel guilty reading about everyone's troubles because NBC Sports Gold has been pretty much perfect for me. Very occasionally, I have to log out and log back in, but it takes seconds and then everything is fine again. I'm on a desktop Mac using Firefox.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I feel guilty reading about everyone's troubles because NBC Sports Gold has been pretty much perfect for me. Very occasionally, I have to log out and log back in, but it takes seconds and then everything is fine again. I'm on a desktop Mac using Firefox.
I never had a problem at all until this year's USChamps. Whateverr happened between Dec-Jan..no idea.

Last edited:

Aceon6

I never had a problem at all until this year's USChamps. Whater happened between Dec-Jan..no idea.
My guess is a server move or a change in how they did load balancing. I noticed that they had changed the apps quite early, so had time to make sure everything was working.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
My guess is a server move or a change in how they did load balancing. I noticed that they had changed the apps quite early, so had time to make sure everything was working.
My friend had watched all yr on her Smart TV and all of a sudden could not. Tech support told her she needed an apple tv, or a firestick or ROKU..She kept him on the phone explaining that she never had before..and finally he fixed things for her. Very frustrating.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't know if people have noticed, Gold subscribers have a choice of US Nationals replays. Clicking on the one labeled Gold gives you the Tanith/Charlie version. Click on anything else, it's Tara/Johnny including all the NBC fluff.

Really, how do you access this alternative coverage? There's no indication of this option on the website. When I click on NBC sports television event replays for figure skating, it automatically defaults to NBC Gold coverage.

Aceon6

Really, how do you access this alternative coverage? There's no indication of this option on the website. When I click on NBC sports television event replays for figure skating, it automatically defaults to NBC Gold coverage.
You have to select NBCSN or OlyChan in the top menu bar on the NBCSports.com main page, then sign in with those credentials. That will show all that content IF you have a cable plan that includes NBCSports and/or the OlyChan. It’s much easier in the app, everything just shows side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information