Nathalie Péchalat

Minou

Multiple news sources have announced that Péchalat has been elected president of the FFSG : https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-art...eration-francaise-des-sports-de-glace/1119731 with 504 votes ¨for¨ and 154 blank ballots with the public health quarantine playing a significant role in her triumph.

Briefly in English: https://www.reuters.com/article/fig...als-pull-out-citing-coronavirus-idUSL8N2B70P1

Having recently read Sarah Abitbol´s book, but having also donated it to a local library, I recall her outreach to Péchalat having had mixed and not entirely positive.

I concur that those who found the book a quick and easy read. It is also very informative. Outside of the issues at hand, Abitbol comments on Marina Viatcheslavovna Anissina´s accent and treatment of her partner as well as the reason for a delay in announcing Abitbol and Bernadis´ withdraw from the 2002 Olympic competition.

With good wishes for everyone´s health,

aftershocks

Banned Member
Multiple news sources have announced that Péchalat has been elected president of the FFSG

Hurrah, hurrah! :respec: :cheer2:

Having recently read Sarah Abitbol´s book, but having also donated it to a local library, I recall her outreach to Péchalat having had mixed and not entirely positive.

Well, can we please give Péchalat a chance first? She was only just voted in as FFSG President, after the long dictatorial reign of a tyrant, no less.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And then shared Morgan Cipres's endorsement on her Instagram as if it's something to be proud of.

Push ahead of the line then to lead the lynch mob... :drama: Scorched earth scorn and revile is hardly helpful. Millions of wrongs buttressed by revengeful, hateful, spiteful attitudes solve nothing.

Good luck to Péchalat. She has a very difficult task ahead of her.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
And then shared Morgan Cipres's endorsement on her Instagram as if it's something to be proud of.

I really had no clue she was that much of an unimprovement over DG. Sigh.

Push ahead of the line then to lead the lynch mob... :drama: Scorched earth scorn and revile is hardly helpful. Millions of wrongs buttressed by revengeful, hateful, spiteful attitudes solve nothing.

Good luck to Péchalat. She has a very difficult task ahead of her.

:rolleyes: Or, just a thought, she shouldn't be proud of an endorsement from someone... under high suspicion, at best.

You're being willfully ignorant in avoiding that.

okokok777

Well, can we please give Péchalat a chance first? She was only just voted in as FFSG President, after the long dictatorial reign of a tyrant, no less.

I can only speak for myself, but the following actions have led me to be less than optimistic about Péchalat's presidency:

- She announced her campaign without informing the members of the "resistance group" (a group of former athletes, including Abitbol, Peizerat, Gusmeroli, Delobel, Schoenfelder, Candeloro, etc.) that she had met with (and worked closely with several members during this situation). IMO the fact that she decided to run for FFSG president without informing a group that was actively advocating for the de-certification of the FFSG was concerning.

- Her policies, especially the fact that she doesn't plan to clean house at the FFSG. The language she uses (such as stating that she doesn't want to go on a "witch hunt", that the goal is "to reassure parents and not become paranoid", etc.) also makes me very uncomfortable.

- IMO her IG post re: the Jean Dujardin-Roman Polanski scandal was problematic AF. I spoke about my opinions on it in another thread:

Her comments about "not going on a witch hunt" or extensively cleaning house of the FFSG along with the circumstances surrounding her candidacy had already made me deeply uncomfortable - this IG post pushes that feeling to deep concern about the future of the FFSG under her rule.

How can she support her husband's "artistic choice" when that choice involves working with a convicted child rapist & fugitive? How can she support that choice while also calling herself an advocate for survivors?

She & her husband have both cited the important subject matter of the film as a defense for his decision to participate - that shows me that they're completely missing the point. One of the hallmarks of rape culture is that abusers are able to move on with virtually no consequences while their survivors are frequently re-traumatized. When big-name celebrities choose to work with someone like Polanski, a message is conveyed: it's okay to sexually abuse children as long as you're a successful/talented. This type of behavior can be seen in a lot of communities: music, sports, academia, religion, etc. & is a huge contributor to the culture of silence.

- Reposting Morgan Cipres's endorsement of her campaign on IG - a huge no-no

My criticisms & opinions of Pechalat has to do with her actions. In re: to her presidency, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I can only speak for myself, but the following actions have led me to be less than optimistic about Péchalat's presidency:

- She announced her campaign without informing the members of the "resistance group" (a group of former athletes, including Abitbol, Peizerat, Gusmeroli, Delobel, Schoenfelder, Candeloro, etc.) that she had met with (and worked closely with several members during this situation). IMO the fact that she decided to run for FFSG president without informing a group that was actively advocating for the de-certification of the FFSG was concerning.

- Her policies, especially the fact that she doesn't plan to clean house at the FFSG. The language she uses (such as stating that she doesn't want to go on a "witch hunt", that the goal is "to reassure parents and not become paranoid", etc.) also makes me very uncomfortable.

- IMO her IG post re: the Jean Dujardin-Roman Polanski scandal was problematic AF. I spoke about my opinions on it in another thread:

- Reposting Morgan Cipres's endorsement of her campaign on IG - a huge no-no

My criticisms & opinions of Pechalat has to do with her actions. In re: to her presidency, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worse.

To each their own. I don't know enough about French fed politics or Péchalat's personality and intentions to make advance judgments.

What I will say is being a scorched-earth, high-and-mighty, know-it-all avenging angel for whatever reason is not something I agree with or align with.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Pechelat is no improvement. She accepted and was happy to receive support from a sexual predator (Cipres) and has defended a paedophile (Polanski). She had her chances to prove she'd be a fresh start and blew them.

The optics of this are horrendous given WHY the election took place in the first place.

I hope the Sports Minister uses the nuclear option.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Sometimes things need to be burned to the ground, and the ground salted.

A Trump prescription perhaps? Nope, not even then. I wouldn't want to see our nation's capitol burned to the ground.

I suppose French fed politics will be keeping fs fans entertained and avid for Hunger Games flame-throwing for some time to come. :angryfire

misskarne

I suppose French fed politics will be keeping fs fans entertained and avid for Hunger Games flame-throwing for some time to come. :angryfire

You disgust me. This is no trivial drama, no matter of favouring one team over another - it's not even a scoring scandal (and heaven knows the French Fed has had enough involvement in those). This is a matter of systemic, evil sexual abuse, and multiple sexual abusers, being covered up and protected by the president of the French Federation. And who do they elect in his place? One who has received the support of, and was proud to receive the support of, a sexual abuser; one who has defended a known paedophile.

DG's tentacles are spread wide through the French Fed; Pechelat is little more than a puppet and, it seems, a puppet who also associates with abusers and will protect them. She is no suitable replacement, and since she was apparently the option the French Fed chose, then they have brought the scorching of their own earth upon them.

Tinami Amori

You disgust me.
Quite insulting other posters! nobody gives a shit what disgusts you, you're a virtual entity, there are millions like you. For the record - you disgust me with your righteous moralistic attitude of just one insignificant virtual voice who thinks she is a voice of the world. fix your own life, not others..... you got plenty to work on.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Just as an FYI, and an odd trivia: Polanski and Samantha Geimer are friends on internet, email each other. She (back even when young) refused a second trial, agreed to financial settlement in private, and when she received her last payment of 600,000+ USD, she started defending him, saying she does not want his life ruined, and this is becoming a witch hunt, which she objects to because she want a talent like Polanski to have a good life. (i can find and post links).

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Just as an FFI, and an odd trivia: Polanski and Samantha Geimer are friends on internet, email each other. She (back even when young) refused a second trial, agreed to financial settlement in private, and when she received her last payment of 600,000+ USD, she started defending him, saying she does not want his life ruined, and this is becoming a witch hunt, which she objects to because she want a talent like Polanski to have a good life. (i can find and post links).
He's still a rapist.

And Pechalat should have stayed out of it and away from Morgan Cipres. Leaving aside the moral aspects, it shows extremely poor judgment on her part. I thought she was smarter than that.

misskarne

Just as an FYI, and an odd trivia: Polanski and Samantha Geimer are friends on internet, email each other. She (back even when young) refused a second trial, agreed to financial settlement in private, and when she received her last payment of 600,000+ USD, she started defending him, saying she does not want his life ruined, and this is becoming a witch hunt, which she objects to because she want a talent like Polanski to have a good life. (i can find and post links).

Ah, of course. Here comes Tinami to defend the paedophile, right on cue. Because of course, in Tinami's world, grooming and emotional manipulation do not exist, and there's just no way the victim could have been threatened or manipulated into saying such things.

Tinami Amori

Ah, of course. Here comes Tinami to defend the paedophile, right on cue. Because of course, in Tinami's world, grooming and emotional manipulation do not exist, and there's just no way the victim could have been threatened or manipulated into saying such things.
Tinami defended a poster from YOU, (and talking in your style of commenting) you dumb shit! That's was a lame attempt...

VarBar

Multiple news sources have announced that Péchalat has been elected president of the FFSG

It's as if someone were pushing them to show the whole world their true colors and dig their own graves in the process. And take the entire federation down with them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
You disgust me. This is no trivial drama, no matter of favouring one team over another - it's not even a scoring scandal (and heaven knows the French Fed has had enough involvement in those). This is a matter of systemic, evil sexual abuse, and multiple sexual abusers, being covered up and protected by the president of the French Federation. And who do they elect in his place? One who has received the support of, and was proud to receive the support of, a sexual abuser; one who has defended a known paedophile.

DG's tentacles are spread wide through the French Fed; Pechelat is little more than a puppet and, it seems, a puppet who also associates with abusers and will protect them. She is no suitable replacement, and since she was apparently the option the French Fed chose, then they have brought the scorching of their own earth upon them.

Right back at you. You're high-and-mighty and know-it-all. As I already said, I don't know much about French fed politics. Those who do can commence getting out your score cards. :rolleyes: I was not discussing allegations of sexual abuse. I was referencing the scorched-earth notion of 'burning everything down.' Innocents can be harmed with that no-holds-barred approach. But lynch mob mentality will have their way, every f'ing time. Give yourselves a huge pat on the back those of you who have all the answers.

Mad for Skating

Let's try to keep the drama and pettiness out of the situation and talk about the facts.

When I first heard that Pechalat was aiming to replace Gailhaguet, I was open to it because I figured anything would be better than Gailhaguet. I liked her as a skater and am hoping that she can bring some honesty to this federation after so many years of corruption and lies. However, there are two sketchy things we need to examine:

- She defended her husband's work in a Polanski film. It seems that her first loyalty is to her husband rather than the safety of the sport. To be fair, I don't think we can expect her to publicly denounce her own husband. However, the wording of her statements gave me the impression that she didn't really care about a rape victim as much as she cared about defending her husband. It wouldn't have been that hard to say a general statement like "I believe rape is wrong and I stand with survivors" without throwing her husband under the bus. If Pechalat really didn't want to get involved, she could have just said nothing, but when she decided to speak up, she placed herself in the middle of the situation, and she needs to take responsibility for what she said. (Also, it's not like Polanski was just accused of rape; he pleaded guilty).

- She reposted the endorsement from Morgan Cipres. That was completely unnecessary. If she really wanted to show that skaters were supporting her, she could've just reposted Vanessa James's story - it was the exact same post. Once again, Cipres isn't just suspected of sexual misconduct, it's been proven. He apologized for it, which means that he admits that he did it. Even Gailhaguet, who lied for years to cover up sexual abuse scandals, was willing to admit that Cipres did "something stupid", to say the least. By reposting his post, Pechalat is sending the message that sexual harassment towards minors is not that serious.

I hate to say it, but Pechalat had two strikes against her before she even got into office. Defending someone for working with a man who raped a 13-year-old girl and accepting support from a man who sent nudes to a 13-year-old girl does not inspire confidence that this woman will do a great job cleaning up a federation with a history of covering up sexual assault and harassment. Maybe she really doesn't understand how her actions affect the rest of the world, but if she's going to be the president of a skating federation, it's her job to promote athlete safety. I know we don't have all the details, but I don't like what I'm seeing. Obviously, taking over a skating federation after so many years of corruption is a huge undertaking, and I hope Pechalat will use this opportunity for good, but I'm not feeling overly optimistic about this.

Also, even if Samantha Geimer has chosen to forgive Polanski, that still doesn't mean he is innocent, and that still doesn't mean that we should turn a blind eye to what he did. As I said before, he confessed to raping a teenage girl, then evaded arrest and has been living comfortably in France with no consequences. (In my opinion, if he really felt remorse for his crime, he would've returned to the US and served his sentence). If you don't think there's anything wrong with this, then you should take a good look at your own definition of right and wrong.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Sigh. Why does Jean Dujardin appearing in a Roman Polanski film mean he endorses Polanski's behavior in Hollywood years ago? No, don't bother answering those of you who have all the answers and all the self-righteous judgement calls.

Péchalat did not win the job of judge, jury and executioner. Certainly, there are enough avengers around to take care of that. Let Péchalat have the opportunity to do the job for which she was elected please, before deciding that you know what kind of decisions she will make that are related to her job, not to her husband or to her friendships.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Sigh. Why does Jean Dujardin appearing in a Roman Polanski film mean he endorses Polanski's behavior in Hollywood years ago? No, don't bother answering those of you who have all the answers and all the self-righteous judgement calls.

I'll answer anyway, regardless of whether you think I'm self-righteous.

It is arguably a tacit endorsement. The actor is going to work for someone who is guilty of rape and should be in jail. If people and producers refused to support Polanski, he couldn't make movies.

Doesn't look much better than a producer hiring Kevin Spacey and actors then agreeing to work with him.

I would like society to be sending a strong message about sexual harassment/abuse.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'll answer anyway, regardless of whether you think I'm self-righteous.

It is arguably a tacit endorsement. The actor is going to work for someone who is guilty of rape and should be in jail. If people and producers refused to support Polanski, he couldn't make movies.

Doesn't look much better than a producer hiring Kevin Spacey and actors then agreeing to work with him.

I would like society to be sending a strong message about sexual harassment/abuse.

Why be selective, go ahead and get on your high horse about Woody Allen and all the actors who have worked with him after the allegations of his sexual abuse. Really there's no end to the bad people who need punishing, and the poor decision-makers who have had the nerve to associate with them after the fact, in whatever capacity. Such excoriations and list-making will take up the rest of your lifetime. I'm sure you'll have plenty of help.

There are ways to send strong messages about sexual harassment/abuse, and prevention without resorting to lynch mobs bent on exacting unrelenting, never-to-be satisfied, revenge. The matter of justice is another thing entirely. Too often, justice doesn't happen. But rushing head-long with know-it-all judgments and lumping situations together IMO isn't helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information