The aftermath of DG's resignation - what next for the FFSG?

Viscaro

Not sure I prefer Pechalat over Pezeirat (both have pro and cons I guess as a non insider), but I really do not see her as DG’s puppet.
I understand some of you might dislike her because you want the whole FFSG to go down though.

In some comment on Gabriella Insta post I saw someone asking for a FFSG president from the speed skating part of the FFSG, not the figure skating part. Maybe it would be a good reset ?

Orm Irian

Not sure I prefer Pechalat over Pezeirat (both have pro and cons I guess as a non insider), but I really do not see her as DG’s puppet.
I understand some of you might dislike her because you want the whole FFSG to go down though.

In some comment on Gabriella Insta post I saw someone asking for a FFSG president from the speed skating part of the FFSG, not the figure skating part. Maybe it would be a good reset ?

Or from bobsled, a sport that seems to have got massively screwed over funding-wise by DG.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I thought LeGougne was kicked out of the French federation after she spoke up in SLC, as in being permanently barred from being a member. Or has she been rehabilitated since then?

ChiquitaBanana

According to a tweet with a link to the article, Le Monde is reporting that Marie-Reine Le Gougne, of the Salt Lake City "incident", is a candidate for FFSG President.

The article, in French: https://t.co/xYwKhYB6gK?amp=1
According to a tweet with a link to the article, Le Monde is reporting that Marie-Reine Le Gougne, of the Salt Lake City "incident", is a candidate for FFSG President.

The article, in French: https://t.co/xYwKhYB6gK?amp=1
The only thing that comes to my mind... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c45FtDhdDoY

Nmsis

I thought LeGougne was kicked out of the French federation after she spoke up in SLC, as in being permanently barred from being a member. Or has she been rehabilitated since then?
No, she wasn't.
The FFSG is like a family. There are brawls. There is no eviction.
Proof is that Marie-Ange Marie Calixte (bobsled). The FFSG is suing him and he pushed Gailhaguet to the ground. (Gailhaguet said Marie Calixte punched him ; Marie Calixte said "look at me, now look at Gailhaguet ; if I punch him, he wouldn't get back on his feet").
He is still there.
And I would bet he is going to be a candidate since he and Le Gougne are the "forever" candidates since 2004. They always get a minimal amount of votes but they still are candidates.
The exception was 2018 where neither Le Gougne or Marie Callixte were and Gailhaguet was unopposed, which was quite surprising.

okokok777

A former figure skating coach from the Asnières skating club has been "indicted and imprisoned" for the sexual assault and rape of three teenage girls.

The three women filed a complaint on February 4th for incidents dating between 2005 and 2009. At the time, all three were between the ages of 14 and 16 while the suspect was between 25 and 27. The former coach denies any force and his attorney shared the following statement: "He talks about having relationships with these two young women*. He was a very young coach and they never expressed the slightest refusal."

*I believe that this was in referring to this section:

At the material time, all three were between 14 and 16 years old. One of them, the oldest, denounces acts of sexual assault dating back to 2005.

The other two, now aged 26 and 27, accuse their former coach of raping them when they were teenagers. The suspect was between 25 and 27 years old at the time and is accused of having forced them to have sexual relations within the Asnières club.

The suspect was arrested on February 11th and criminally charged & jailed on February 14th. The three complainants state that Sarah Abitbol's book prompted them to report.

Asnières skating club is also connected to abuse allegations stemming from the 1980's (Source):

- Hélène Godard alleges that she was molested by her former coach, Jean-Roland Racle in the locker rooms.

- Beatrice Dumur and Anne Bruneteax allege that they were sexually abused by their former coach, Michel Lotz, starting when they were 13 when they were boarding at his apartment. Lotz was a coach at Asnières at the time & lived in an apartment inside the skating rink.

text_skate

Maracineanu is setting things into motion. Good for her, and those who participate! And hopefully good for the athletes, who need support

Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu unveils plan to combat sexual violence in sport

The main principles of this plan were revealed during a National Convention for the Prevention of Sexual Violence in Sport, at the headquarters of the French National Olympic and Sports Committee (CNOSF), on Friday.

Sports federations alongside the Minister. The sports federations are the main guests of this day, and workshops begin with them "as of this afternoon" to build a prevention plan with the executive. This work will give rise to a summary and proposals in May.

General controls and training. Among the measures planned, the government plans to generalize "integrity checks" to all federations and clubs, as well as a compulsory training module for sports educators on ethics and integrity.

Free the voice of the victims. Roxana Maracineanu signed an agreement with the National Telephone Reception Service for Children at Risk (Snated). The number 119 for Children in danger could now hear what the victims in the sports field, after training of listeners by the Sports Directorate.

Interview in L'Équipe
For Roxana Maracineanu, the national convention for the prevention of sexual violence was "very rich in lessons"

Here is the google translated transcript:

“What did you think of the first debates on the prevention of sexual violence ?
I found this morning very rich in lessons. We crossed different experiences with women who expressed themselves because they knew this problem. They were able to exchange content that gave a taste of the training that we will be able to set up in the sports movement, provided by these associations to raise awareness of the collection of speech, the alert, the way we create a group to support victims and those who have seen nothing. I am convinced that only in this way can we move forward.

Who are you referring to when you say "On"? [on (fr.) = you/they/one (engl.)]
It is not only the sports movement that will be able to advance the cause. It needs the State and not only the Ministry of Sports because, for years, the sports movement has operated with the Ministry of Sports and we have seen that in some cases, however reported by the press and punished by justice, well we didn't know how to do it. We need to get closer to the people who know how to collect the voice of children. We are fortunate to welcome sometimes young children into our associations and we can teach them something more than playing sports: undressing and dressing all by ourselves independently without the presence of an adult, say "I know how to wash myself ". Bring them this education of the relationship with the body which is rarely addressed in school, sometimes not addressed in the family because of lack of time and words.

Have you regretted the absence of several Federation presidents (11 out of 36) in the amphitheater?
All the sports federations were represented by women, often the referents on the question. It is not a problem of women. It is a problem of jurisdiction and of higher authorities. The little message I wanted to get across is that the presidents who were not there for X or Y reason will be there tomorrow and that they will hear these words said today. I fully trust the National Olympic and Paralympic Committees ( CNOSF and CPSF)to send the message clearly to the Federation presidents because it is a theme that deserves to be carried high, strong. We are entering an elective period this year and in 2022 for winter sports. I expect prevention against sexual violence to be a real campaign commitment by the current presidents who want to represent themselves, but also by all the candidates who could stand in these elections.

Checking the integrity of the "acteurs" is one of your priority matters.
The experiment that we are carrying out with the French Football Federation in the Center-Val de Loire is coming to an end. We are going to draw lessons from it and set up a generalisation at the level of the FFF and its 2 million licensees. This will give us a good indicator of how this can happen in a Federation. Afterwards, I think that it is mainly team sports that will take over because it is especially in these sports that there are volunteer coaches in contact with children. In other sports with more specific regulations, you must have a professional sports instructor card which is already checked. Our common ambition with the sports movement is to create a file of 1.8 million volunteers in France, define its scope and see how this information can go back to the Federation. We must also see how to group them with the other Federations and transfer them to the Ministry of Sports because the Federations will not have access to the file directly, it is the central administration of the Ministry of Sports which will be able to cross the information with the Ministry of Justice. "

Last edited:

Minou

According to the Le Monde article, which is locked for subscribers after the first couple paragraphs, it is Ms. Le Gougne herself who informed the newspaper of her candidacy. Le Gougne insists that Ms. Pechelet's candidacy is receiving strong support from Gailhaguet's most loyal supporters.
Also, according to the article Le Gougne received a 3-year suspension for the SLC debacle. She is marketing herself a an agent for change who has always stood up for all the ice sports and who did not cheat at SLC.

jenniferlyon

According to the Le Monde article, which is locked for subscribers after the first couple paragraphs, it is Ms. Le Gougne herself who informed the newspaper of her candidacy. Le Gougne insists that Ms. Pechelet's candidacy is receiving strong support from Gailhaguet's most loyal supporters.
Also, according to the article Le Gougne received a 3-year suspension for the SLC debacle. She is marketing herself a an agent for change who has always stood up for all the ice sports and who did not cheat at SLC.

Does she think 2002 was THAT long ago, or does she think people are THAT stupid?

cs.berlin

The registration deadline for the election of the FFSG president expired this week - what does the candidate list for the election on 14 March actually look like? It could be that after waking up from the current deep sleep it means again: this is not what we wanted ...

Following Nathalie Pechalat (36), two-time European ice dance champion in 2011 and 2012, former figure skating judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne (58), Damien Boyer-Gibaud (35), president of the Angers Ice Dance Club, and Hubert Godefroy (73), former president of the Federal Council and vice-president of the FFSG, a certain Marc Bella (58) is the last candidate in the race for the presidency for the time being.

Marc Bella is running for the presidency for the fifth time and is now trying to fill the gap left by Didier Gailhaguet following the sexual abuse scandals that shook the FFSG. "I, who am outside the media frenzy, bring the election of a candidacy that can bring serenity [...] I was an athlete in these cases, along with many of the protagonists. I know many of them. Of course I care," he explains.

At 58, the former 500m short track world champion in Milan in 1980, 11 times French champion and European champion in 1989, bronze medalist in short track speed skating at the 1,000m of the 1988 Calgary Olympics, is anything but a stranger in the field. The athlete from 1976 to 1992 took over the coaching role in the French national team after the Olympic Games in Albertville. He is now a retired member of the national police force and the United Nations and, above all, "a man of challenges", whom the recent upheavals of "his" federation have allegedly made "immensely sad". "I would like to play a role in the necessary reconstruction that lies ahead of us, in order to restore the image of our now ailing multisports federation and, above all, to restore the confidence of young sportsmen and women and their parents". [...] There are many things that interest me, such as the promotion of small sports within the association. And working with an association in the context of child protection to ensure that what happened never happens again".

And: Marc Bella wants to be "the man for the job": "Due to my past as an athlete, coach and manager, but also as a policeman, I have the skills to fill this position and bring justice", he claims, while "the time two years before the Olympic Games will be quite short without further scandals".
Source

Former skater Philippe Candeloro (48), a two-time Olympic bronze medalist in 1994 and 1998, then sports consultant and TV presenter, was also a candidate for the post of FFSG president. However, he has now decided not to stand for election. In his opinion, the choice of a successor was made in complete haste, possible candidates like him were not in a position to include such a decision in their career and life planning at such short notice in order to be able to win fair elections in peace.

Candeloro: "I asked myself many questions because we did not foresee Didier Gailhaguet's resignation so quickly, so suddenly. There are a lot of things to sort out, that's for sure [...], but it's a bit of a pity that everything collapsed so quickly. I don't think that any of the candidates today are really ready [Note: capable, impartial, independent and unencumbered enough ...] to take over the job."
Source

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Well, that should instantly disqualify her, especially when the reason the FFSG needs a new president is related to sexual abuse. What a slap in the face that must be for the victims.

Eleanor2

I'm disappointed in Pechalat. She could have supported her husband without writing this.
Lol, this is why I don't like this woman. She is unbelievable. I can understand why she would not take part in her husband's career and let him live his professional life. However, I CAN NOT understand and I am shocked she gives an opinion on the Polanski's case. Don't care about how the US justice system work, don't care about what deal he had that was going to be ignored, the guy raped a 13 year old after drugging her. She must be out of her freaking mind to challenge people to watch this documentary and think this would somehow make it okay to work with that perv. She should be reminded that other victims came forward. Polanski is a disgusting human being and anyone trying to defend anything linked to these sexual abuse cases is as disgusting as he is. I hope she doesn't get a position near the FFSG. Toxic woman and a hypocrite.

okokok777

I'm disappointed in Pechalat. She could have supported her husband without writing this.

I've been pretty open about my opinion on Pechalat's campaign on this forum - this statement adds even more to my concerns. Her comments about "not going on a witch hunt" or extensively cleaning house of the FFSG along with the circumstances surrounding her candidacy had already made me deeply uncomfortable - this IG post pushes that feeling to deep concern about the future of the FFSG under her rule.

How can she support her husband's "artistic choice" when that choice involves working with a convicted child rapist & fugitive? How can she support that choice while also calling herself an advocate for survivors?

She & her husband have both cited the important subject matter of the film as a defense for his decision to participate - that shows me that they're completely missing the point. One of the hallmarks of rape culture is that abusers are able to move on with virtually no consequences while their survivors are frequently re-traumatized. When big-name celebrities choose to work with someone like Polanski, a message is conveyed: it's okay to sexually abuse children as long as you're a successful/talented. This type of behavior can be seen in a lot of communities: music, sports, academia, religion, etc. & is a huge contributor to the culture of silence.

Pechalat has done some very important work in anti-sexual violence advocacy & she played a big role in ending Didier's reign - things that I am incredibly grateful for. With that said, I don't support her candidacy. I think her priorities are out of order & that she won't make the changes needed.

Orm Irian

I was willing to give Pechalat the benefit of the doubt until I'd had a chance to read in more detail about her platform, but I'm coming down against her candidature now. I don't like any of the others either, though. None are fully engaging with the central issue and those who are engaging to some extent aren't doing it well from what I see. It feels like they're all focussed on saving the Federation and its reputation first and foremost, whereas I'm increasingly of the hope that the Minister for Sports will drop that bomb that's currently hanging fire and demolish the whole thing.

I can understand why the athletes are looking for options that won't uproot their seasons and disrupt careers and clubs, but we have a broader perspective than them and can afford to take more things into account.

VarBar

I'm increasingly of the hope that the Minister for Sports will drop that bomb that's currently hanging fire and demolish the whole thing.

IMO the demolishing should start with the Ministry of Sports itself but after reading Maracineanu's interview with L'Equipe I dont' pin much hope on her either. Just a bunch of grand words signifying nothing.

MsZem

I see the sea
Well, that should instantly disqualify her, especially when the reason the FFSG needs a new president is related to sexual abuse. What a slap in the face that must be for the victims.
I agree. Her post was unnecessary, but if she felt the need to support Dujardin, she could have at least stopped after noting that the subject of the film is important (it is). The additional part about Roman Polanski and how people would learn more from the documentary than from a former skater - come on. You're not just a former skater, you're running for president of an organization that has enabled sexual predators for decades and needs cleaning up. If your approach is anything other than zero tolerance for sexual predators in any context, you have no business being in a leadership position.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Both Morgan Cipres and Vanessa James publicly endorsed Nathalie Péchalat on their Instagram accounts today. Add that to the growing number of reasons why her (almost inevitable) win will be unfortunate.

:eek:

They must really be out of touch with reality if they don't realize how bad their reputations are right now. And that their endorsing a candidate might be like the kiss of death for that candidate's chances.

okokok777

Both Morgan Cipres and Vanessa James publicly endorsed Nathalie Péchalat on their Instagram accounts today. Add that to the growing number of reasons why her (almost inevitable) win will be unfortunate.

:eek:

They must really be out of touch with reality if they don't realize how bad their reputations are right now. And that their endorsing a candidate might be like the kiss of death for that candidate's chances.

Nathalie reposted Morgan's endorsement of her in her IG story today. I don't think any of these people really understand the optics, TBH

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information