Movie/TV awards 2019-2020 thread

screech

Just watched JoJo Rabbit. I liked it a lot, and while I really liked Scarlett Johansson's character, I don't know if her performance was Oscar-worthy. The ensemble was fantastic though.

VGThuy

I saw 1917 last night. Very good. Fantastic cinematography, direction, background score, acting. Why did George Mackay not get any nominations? He was great IMO. Definitely the best movie I have seen so far this year.

Little women, which I saw couple weeks ago was just ok. Very good in some parts but overall unimpressive to me. However, I would give the best actress Oscar to Saoirse Ronan. Rene Z. Was great as Judy but Ronan was even better. This category has the potential for an upset.

Although I disagree with your assessment of Little Women, I do like your sentiments regarding Ronan. Honestly, that movie and all of the performances especially Ronan, Chalamet, Pugh, and even Dern's has stayed with me and I'm still thinking about them.

It's funny because I do my own personal awards every year (which I amend when I watch a movie I originally missed because unlike a film critic, I don't get paid to watch every American theatrical release), and I actually gave Ronan two Best Actress Awards out of the past four years for Brooklyn (that was close between her and Charlotte Rampling for 45 Years and Juliette Binoche for her underrated performance in Clouds of Sils Maria) and Lady Bird but this year (which I haven't done yet since I haven't watched nearly enough movies) I was leaning more towards Lupita Nyong'o for her captivating performance in Us (maybe it was the faces she was able to make), but I would not mind at all if Ronan won for Little Women because I'd think she'd be deserving. I still haven't seen nearly enough movies to make my picks this year.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Many nominated movies are not even in theatres yet. I feel frustrated because I have been waiting for Marriage Story and the Irishman in particular. I want to at least see them before Feb 9th. I don’t have a TV at the moment due to my move and the delays (technical difficulties) in getting cable. At least where I live, cable is needed even for basic stations. I hope to get it before Feb 9 and the odds are against that date. I may have to read pbp on fsu.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Many nominated movies are not even in theatres yet. I feel frustrated because I have been waiting for Marriage Story and the Irishman in particular. I want to at least see them before Feb 9th. I don’t have a TV at the moment due to my move and the delays (technical difficulties) in getting cable. At least where I live, cable is needed even for basic stations. I hope to get it before Feb 9 and the odds are against that date. I may have to read pbp on fsu.
I'm not sure about Marriage Story, but The Irishman's limited theatre run was back in December so you might be stuck on that one. Both are Netflix movies and they only need to make sure the movie shows in LA and New York by December 31st for Oscar consideration.

screech

I just finished watching Marriage Story. Of all the performances, Scarlett was the absolute standout to me. I found for the first half, something just wasn't coming across as 'natural' in Adam's performance (definitely improved in the second half for m). And while Laura Dern was great, I don't know if it's that great.
I also thought Ray Liota and Alan Alda (who during filming hadn't yet announced he had Parkinson's) were fantastic, as was the kid playing Henry.
The story was great, but I found some of the music between scenes made it seem like an 80s TV movie, and there were some odd fade-outs, and camera angles and zooms that just seemed weird to me.
I do recommend it, though I know viewers gave it mixed reviews.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is one of those years where all the winners will be super predictable:
Joker for BP
Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor
Renee Zellwegger for Best Actress
Brad Pitt for Best Supporting Actor
Laura Dern for Best Supporting Actress

I am not sure Joker will win BP. Too much competition. My vote goes to 1917, for BP and Director.

I believe Phoenix should win but you never know how the politics will work out.

Also not sure about Rene winning the best actress. She was very good as Judy but-

She has an Oscar. Ronan is young and the academy loves to crown young actresses (e.g. Jennifer Lawrence, Gwyneth Paltrow). Ronan will be very deserving compared to the two examples I used. I personally think she was the best this year. Hers was a multifaceted character while Rene Z. Seemed like one note - not her fault; it’s the way the movie was made.

Not sure about Dern because I have not seen Marriage Story. I don’t see Scarlett winning for JoJo Rabbit. Not enough screen time. Can Pugh pull an upset? Doubtful. Dern may win by default.

Brad Pitt is the only certainty. It is his time. I would have liked to see Jamie Foxx get the nomination and the win for Just Mercy.

screech

I am not sure Joker will win BP. Too much competition. My vote goes to 1917, for BP and Director.

Not sure about Dern because I have not seen Marriage Story. I don’t see Scarlett winning for JoJo Rabbit. Not enough screen time. Can Pugh pull an upset? Doubtful. Dern may win by default.

Brad Pitt is the only certainty. It is his time. I would have liked to see Jamie Foxx get the nomination and the win for Just Mercy.
To be fair re: Scarlett's screen time in JoJo Rabbit (though I don't think she should win for her performance there), Judi Dench won supporting actress for Shakespeare in Love with only 8 minutes screen time...

The BAFTAs are today and will be the final predictor before the Oscars. As of right now I don't see any surprises at all in the acting categories - the main 4 have won all the major awards so far. I don't think it'll end up being a Glenn Close/Olivia Colman situation like last year.

I think 1917 is the BP frontrunner, but Parasite could sneak in there. I think it's between those two. However, if they split the votes, OATIH could get it in the end.

What I'm most interested to see is the screenplay awards. JoJo Rabbit won the WGA award for adapted screenplay, and Parasite for original screenplay (first foreign language film to ever win it). That seemingly makes them the frontrunners for the Oscars, but I think it's between JoJo and Little Women for adapted, and Parasite and OUATIH for original. To me, those are the most interesting and unpredictable of the 'major' categories.

If Taika wins, I fully expect the next Thor movie to include mentions of all the awards of those involved ("Starring Academy Award winner Natalie Portman, Academy Award winner Christian Bale, and Teen Choice Award winner Chris Hemsworth. Written and directed by Academy Award winner Taika Waititi")

VGThuy

My money is on the movie that the mostly older and white male membership will relate to, and a good contingent of the membership are British so if there’s one movie that will get that bloc vote, it’s gravy.

screech

So zero surprises at the BAFTA awards. Same four actors, same director, same best picture. And JoJo Rabbit and Parasite won for screenplay.

Andy Serikis was awarded the "Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema" Award. Has me wondering when his work will be shown the respect it deserves at the American awards shows. While his work is normally motion capture and a full performance, he's a main reason why there needs to be an award for voice work.

canbelto

The Academy Awards is going to be super duper boring ... Only thing suspenseful is whether Brad and Jen will have a 'shippy red carpet moment.

screech

The Academy Awards is going to be super duper boring ... Only thing suspenseful is whether Brad and Jen will have a 'shippy red carpet moment.
Why would Jen be at the Oscars?

Also, animated film will be interesting. The major awards have thus far been won by Missing Link (Globes), Toy Story 4 (PGA and Critic's Choice), and Klaus (BAFTAs). So no clear frontrunner there.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
And while Laura Dern was great, I don't know if it's that great.

What wins it for her is the speech she gives about how women cannot say what Scarlett thinks, the Mary and God speech. I have the movie queued up to that speech, it is excellent. Of course it was primarily due to the writing but she delivered it perfectly.

Parsley Sage

Also, animated film will be interesting. The major awards have thus far been won by Missing Link (Globes), Toy Story 4 (PGA and Critic's Choice), and Klaus (BAFTAs). So no clear frontrunner there.
Klaus also won the Annie Award for best feature film. No animated film that won both the Annie and Bafta has lost at the Oscars.

screech

What wins it for her is the speech she gives about how women cannot say what Scarlett thinks, the Mary and God speech. I have the movie queued up to that speech, it is excellent. Of course it was primarily due to the writing but she delivered it perfectly.
My favourite part of the movie was Scarlett's monologue when she meets Dern's character, IIRC one long take and lasting 5ish minutes. Perfectly realistic mix of explaining things, but also having scattered thoughts coming in and rambling a bit, with the realistic emotions too.

Least favourite part is
In the big fight scene when Nicole comforts Charlie after he flat out tells her that he wishes she would get an illness and die

Jay42

Also not sure about Rene winning the best actress. She was very good as Judy but-

She has an Oscar. Ronan is young and the academy loves to crown young actresses (e.g. Jennifer Lawrence, Gwyneth Paltrow). Ronan will be very deserving compared to the two examples I used. I personally think she was the best this year. Hers was a multifaceted character while Rene Z. Seemed like one note - not her fault; it’s the way the movie was made.
Oscar loves a comeback story though and this has been spun as a comeback for Renee Zellweger. I would love for Saoirse Ronan to win, she was beyond perfect as Jo March and she really should have won by now.

She's Jennifer Aniston, I'm sure they could think of some reason for her to be there.

It's definitely going to be interesting seeing what happens with Animated film, that's kind of unusual but I don't hate it.

Uncertainty is nice, I'm probably just going to follow the Oscars online this year because I'm very uninterested in most of the winners for the big categories.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Totally disagree. It was one of the few genuinely original and surprising movies I’ve seen in a long time. I thought it was excellent. Plus it was beautifully shot.

If blood, gore and violence against other people, not to mention lying, is beautiful that’s your opinion.

Last edited:

oleada

I’m not talking about the subject matter; I’m talking about the way the movie was shot. The peach sequence was brilliant. I also feel like the plot was completely unpredictable which is very rare these days.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I’m not talking about the subject matter; I’m talking about the way the movie was shot. The peach sequence was brilliant. I also feel like the plot was completely unpredictable which is very rare these days.

It’s not enough for me.

VGThuy

Holy crap, Joaquin Phoenix’ speech really went there regarding the way awards ignore the talents and output of people of color, how he’s part of the problem by not always being parts of sets that are truly inclusive, how that’s not enough, and how those who benefitted from systemic racism have the responsibility to dismantle it since they are the ones with the power:

I love that he said that at BAFTA too since they have been noted for ignoring a lot of POC talent even in the same year other awards recognize it like their seemingly anti-Denzel Washington bias since he’s like never nominated while he’s been nominated numerous times at Oscar and let’s not forget last year’s Oscar winner Regina King not even being nominated there (or at SAG to be fair which made her Oscar win one of the weirdest since it was kind of predictable while going against history and the odds at the same time).

I would say he clinched the Oscar with that speech but he may have pissed some Academy members off since they aren’t close to being as progressive as they are made out to be.

jenny12

Completely agree! I was completely transfixed for the entire film and thought the cinematography was absolutely stunning. The use of tension was really palpable and I felt such anxiety as watching it in a good way since it totally had me on the edge of my seat. All of that combined with some interesting class commentary. I'd be very happy if it won Best Picture.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Random thoughts-

It takes a sick mind to make a movie like Parasite. I don’t understand the fascination for blood and gore. Quite a few movies with OTT violence have won BP and I hated most of them. War movies are excused for the violence though.

I would much rather see something like ‘Pain and Glory’ win that award than Parasite.

Consider the sacrifices made by brave soldiers in a movie like 1917, for example, and there are so many uplifting films, not necessarily about war. Ford v Ferrari was a pretty good movie without war or sacrifices. Even Joker was ok, though in one scene I had to close my eyes, knowing what was coming. My point is that it is not necessary to show violence in the worst possible way in a movie.

I am likely to see Irishman this week because it is running in a theatre here. I am tired of gangster movies, but I will see it anyway. I am curious to see why it received so many acting nominations.

What about the Two Popes? Is it running anywhere at all? I like to see movies in theatres, not on a tiny screen at home. The experience is very different. This year has been frustrating in that sense.

Best picture Oscar has become very unpredictable ever since they started allowing 8-10 nominees in that category. The movie with the most awards doesn’t usually win the BP (at least in recent years). I would like the academy to go back to the 5 or 6 nominees for BP, so the truly deserving movie can win the BP.

Last edited:

Jay42

@Vash01 The Two Popes is also a Netflix movie, I also genuinely don't know how long it had it's theatre run for. I knew with The Irishman because it being a Scorsese movie it got a lot of attention, but both Marriage Story and The Two Popes were smaller films so I think their theatre runs might have just been long enough to qualify them for the Oscars.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Thankfully next Monday here in Australia is a public holiday. A movie going friend of mine and I are having an Oscars party to watch it as it is on during the day.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Now I have seen all the short films that were nominated. I need to go to Short.tv or tv.short and vote for my favorites. Here are my picks-

Animated - Sister
Live action - Saria (close second- A Sister)
Documentary - Skateboarding and In the absence (Tie)

I went to Shorts tv and voted. They let you vote only once. Out of curiosity I tried tovote for two different films. It didn’t work.

The results will be announced in 2 days and 19 hours - it means before the Oscar ceremony?

Right now the leaders are-

Animated short- Memorable (I don’t remember seeing this in the theatre, and they had shown 8 films!). I voted for Sister.

Live action short - Saria (35 percent)

Documentary short - Learning to Skateboard in a war zone (42 percent)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information