Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

mag

I wonder about Abbotsford? I think they bid for Skate Canada a few years back. They have an international airport but are also a smaller centre which might be able to get the whole community involved.

algonquin

What about Mississauga? Kinda of an ugly city, but the arena is close to the Toronto airport. Also, it is reasonably close for me. :D The last Worlds were in Ontario, so Skate Canada will probably look elsewhere.

lise

If it was in Winnipeg I would go for sure!! Arena is great, close to hotels and restaurants and affordable!

jersey1302

Winnipeg had a bid in to host in 2013 but lost to London. I wonder if it will be their time. Biasly as I live there.. amazing if it came here. The only think Winnipeg has ever hosted was the 2004 World Team Challenge when the MTS Center opened and they sold out the lower bowl with out opening the upperdeck which would be about 8,000. I honestly think if Winnipeg hosted it they could get close to a sell out building. Its so centralized its easy to get to.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I've been to worlds in Edmonton, Vancouver, and Calgary. All great experiences, although in Edmonton and Calgary, the weather barely rose above zero.

Japanfan

The only think Winnipeg has ever hosted was the 2004 World Team Challenge when the MTS Center opened and they sold out the lower bowl with out opening the upperdeck which would be about 8,000. I honestly think if Winnipeg hosted it they could get close to a sell out building. Its so centralized its easy to get to.

Winnipeg also hosted Nationals in 2001.

jersey1302

Winnipeg also hosted Nationals in 2001.

well right but I meant international competition. Nationals had a pretty decent crowd there too at the old Winnipeg Arena. I was at that. They had about 10,000 for the mens free skate.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wonder about Abbotsford? I think they bid for Skate Canada a few years back. They have an international airport but are also a smaller centre which might be able to get the whole community involved.

The arena is the right size, about the same as Kelowna's, but not enough hotel rooms within reasonable distance. The closest hotel that anyone would want to stay in is about a 15-minute walk. There's probably also not enough hotel rooms total in the city for an event with that many spectators and participants.

Reactions: mag

barbarafan

I vote for Montreal; great destination city!

I vote for mtl too.. it is close to me....also - 2 great skating centres (Gadbois and Gauthier's)as well as at least a 3rd coming up (yvans Desjardins )so their athletes will be able to have little disruption to their training routines. There are many more rinks where other countries could perhaps rent ice if they wanted to come early. Loads of hotels a metro ride of short taxi or even walk away. They also have downtown (that I know of)apartments which can be rented by the week so diet can be better monitored. Ontario skaters just down the road...6 hr drive or less than an hr flight.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm always o_O when figure skating fans fret over the cold. It's a winter sport, taking place during the winter months, almost always in wintery locations, in arenas filled with ice. Layers, people! It's not that complicated.

Worlds is in March, which is Spring. ;):p

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I would rather have -15 an snow then rain... hate the rain. I don't want Canada to host worlds I'm having too much fun going to other countries. But if it has to be here i vote for Quebec!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information