Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

jtpc

Continuing on the Montreal discussion, there is a new sports complex being built in Laval, which I think would be an appealing venue as a possible Worlds host. Place Bell is scheduled to open this fall, and has a seating capacity of 10,000 (which meets the requirement outlined in the Skate Canada proposal). According to the Place Bell website, in addition to the main rink, there are 2 practice rinks on site as part of the complex (one ice surface is NHL sized, the other ice surface is Olympic sized), so that would solve practices. You have international airport access close by, lots of hotel rooms in downtown Montreal, and the complex is adjacent to a metro stop, so it's easily accessible for fans. I'm assuming that since it would be a relatively new building by the time March 2020 rolled around (2.5 years old), it would meet whatever technical specifications are required. Assuming there is flexibility there for the Laval Rocket to play their hockey games on the road for 10 days-2 weeks, it could definitely be a place to consider.

https://placebell.ca/en

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The issues I don't think is venues but the LOC and bid. It is a lot of volunteering and labour intensive. In Ontario COS an EOS have done fabulous jobs with their tens. Nationals in Kingston was very well organized. I hope those sections and Quebec put in bids. From a fan perspective I would love Montreal, Quebec City, Kingston or Ottawa.

skategal

Bunny mama
My spidey senses are telling me it will be in Ottawa in the arena where they just had Nats (I forget the name...)

That's based on nothing only a gut feeling.

I would be okay with that.

Catherine M

The Laval rink sounds perfect so hopefully it is in consideration.

Of all the the events I've been to in Canada, my favorite place is Kingston, Ontario. So put me down for either Kingston or Laval.

pat c

I want it to go to a place that at the most requires only one change of flights. I would prefer somewhere that has a direct flight, but none of this get one a plane, change flights and then have to find a rent a car or a bus or train to get you to your final destination. London was a lovely locale, but not again for that very reason.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I got to London with only one connection, and I live in a city that doesn't have a ton of flight options to Canada.

Rock2

The best arena where you don't kick out a pro sports team for 10 days is Quebec City. Beautiful new facility that likely won't have an NHL team in there by 2020 although I can't comment on practice facilities. Laval would be perfect but just like Ricoh in Toronto it's connected to a big hockey team so it'll take $$ to move the team out .

Next tier down is the aging warhorses in Ottawa, Hamilton, Halifax, Vancouver, Saskatoon. Although the cities are fine, the facilities collectively give me a big case of the mehs.

Too bad Northlands (1996 worlds) in Edmonton is about to be renovated into a bunch of small rinks. We coulda done that.

I think that's your list. Otherwise you're into the arenas with 5K+ seats (Kitchener, Victoria, Windsor, Regina, Kingston, Moncton, St. John, Mississauga etc) and those seem barely adequate for Nationals.

pat c

BC, AB, ONT and NS have had worlds. So maybe QC will the next destination, but I wouldn't bet $$ on it. ;)

WildRose

The best arena where you don't kick out a pro sports team for 10 days is Quebec City. Beautiful new facility that likely won't have an NHL team in there by 2020 although I can't comment on practice facilities. Laval would be perfect but just like Ricoh in Toronto it's connected to a big hockey team so it'll take $$ to move the team out .

Next tier down is the aging warhorses in Ottawa, Hamilton, Halifax, Vancouver, Saskatoon. Although the cities are fine, the facilities collectively give me a big case of the mehs.

Too bad Northlands (1996 worlds) in Edmonton is about to be renovated into a bunch of small rinks. We coulda done that.

I think that's your list. Otherwise you're into the arenas with 5K+ seats (Kitchener, Victoria, Windsor, Regina, Kingston, Moncton, St. John, Mississauga etc) and those seem barely adequate for Nationals.

Northlands as it is, is way too big - if they want to go NHL sized then they might as well put it in the new arena. They were able to work around NHL teams in Edmonton and Calgary before - it's the size that rules the NHL arenas out.

Rock2

Northlands as it is, is way too big - if they want to go NHL sized then they might as well put it in the new arena. They were able to work around NHL teams in Edmonton and Calgary before - it's the size that rules the NHL arenas out.

Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg could be convinced to vacate for a week for not much money, yes. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, not so much.

Northlands hosted 1996 worlds so I'm not sure what the issue is there. You just curtain off most of the upper deck if tickets don't sell. They just did that for men's world curling champs and it worked well. Anyway, moot point. Arena is closed.

I'd like to see Quebec but I'm not sure what attendance would be like. GPF was in a little piddly convention center I think it was. Ottawa and Halifax would support better but I'm so over these cities and their venues.

WildRose

Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg could be convinced to vacate for a week for not much money, yes. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, not so much.

Northlands hosted 1996 worlds so I'm not sure what the issue is there. You just curtain off most of the upper deck if tickets don't sell. They just did that for men's world curling champs and it worked well. Anyway, moot point. Arena is closed.

I'd like to see Quebec but I'm not sure what attendance would be like. GPF was in a little piddly convention center I think it was. Ottawa and Halifax would support better but I'm so over these cities and their venues.
Northlands was completely sold out for Worlds in 1996 - nothing was curtained off. Regardless, that was then and times have changed. It is old & run down and in a bad part of town and it is time for it to be shut down and repurposed. Personally I'd much rather be at the new arena downtown with decent concession food and a huge scoreboard screen, close to restaurants, bars, hotels, transportation, and a practice rink. I'm not saying they would fill it, but they would sell more tickets in the new building then they would anywhere else in Alberta.

Reactions: mag

cygnus

The Laval rink sounds perfect so hopefully it is in consideration.

Of all the the events I've been to in Canada, my favorite place is Kingston, Ontario. So put me down for either Kingston or Laval.

Much as I love Kingston, I think it may have fewer hotels than fake London.

Winnipeg

Let's have it in Winnipeg! :cheer:

Brand new big airport, short cab ride downtown, MTS Centre a great venue downtown, lots of hotels downtown, lots of excellent restaurants downtown:40beers: and all within walking distance.......... :cheer2::cheer2:

Very convenient in all categories.........including overall cost.

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm fine with it being pretty much anywhere in Canada - although the west coast is pretty expensive for my piggy bank. But I do have $400 in change saved already!

skategal

Bunny mama
I'd be okay with winnipeg.

As much as I love the west coast, I kind of hope it doesn't go there as it is as far away from me as you can get and the time committment would be just so much more than I was hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information