Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

lexeoe

Victoria's Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre has a maximum capacity of 7400. Just odd Skate Canada is going for a smallish venue. Of the 3 i mentioned above, the smallest is Winnipeg at just a few hundred above 15000. I think Quebec City's new arena is somewhere at 17000-18000. Unless Toronto puts forth a bid with Ricoh Coliseum.

clairecloutier

I wonder, too, why they're going for a small venue. What were ticket sales like for 2013 Worlds in London?

kirkbiggestfan

GPF in Quebec City was a bust. It was in a very small venue and was not even sold out. It was a blast to be so close to the best skaters in the world..but not good for skating.
Worlds are easier to fill in seats, but Skate Canada would probably be worried to fill the bigger arena in Quebec City.
If Worlds were in Montreal at the Bell Center, there is no doubt that it would be a huge success. Not sure how it would work out with the hockey schedule.

skategal

Bunny mama
I would say because of the hockey schedule, that there is not much of a chance of Worlds being in Montreal.

I'd love to be proven wrong though....

quartz

scratching at the light
What other countries are bidding? How likely is it that Canada will get it?
My Skate Canada trip this fall is paid for, so now all my toonies and loonies are going towards this possibility. So much fun just anticipating it. And planning potential outfits to wear!!

Seerek

Boston managed to schedule both Celtics and Bruins on the road this year.

Los Angeles had to schedule Clippers/Kings/Lakers on the road in 2009.

I think it's doable for Montreal.

...Then again, the province of Quebec hasn't hosted nationals since Chicoutimi in 1989....
Montreal hosted Nationals back in 1983.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As I understand it, Skate Canada is asking for expressions of interest in hosting so that it can put together a bid for worlds. First it has to choose a host city/venue, and then it has to bid - and other federations might be doing the same thing. So at this point there is no guarantee at all that Worlds is even going to be *anywhere* in Canada.

quartz

scratching at the light
As I understand it, Skate Canada is asking for expressions of interest in hosting so that it can put together a bid for worlds. First it has to choose a host city/venue, and then it has to bid - and other federations might be doing the same thing. So at this point there is no guarantee at all that Worlds is even going to be *anywhere* in Canada.
But speculation is our favorite pastime on FSU, it's what we do!

peibeck

Simply looking
Not that it makes a difference what I think, but Vancouver Worlds in 2001 was such a pleasure because the west coast weather was so mild.

Worlds in Calgary in 2006 though? :cold: Same with faux London.

Vancouver for the win!!! :p

dramagrrl

Please not Vancouver. They've already had Worlds (and it was awesome, as were the Olympics there, as I was lucky enough to attend both), plus it's SO freaking expensive to fly from Toronto to Vancouver that it might as well be in another country. (In fact, it would probably be cheaper if it were in another country, depending. :p)

lexeoe

It will come down to willingness of those with NHL teams. Vancouver and Boston was able to do it, I don't see how others can't. As much as I love Vancouver, my money is either on Quebec City or Winnipeg. But Vancouver has major selling points that can't be ignored.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My money is on Vancouver!

Vancouver hosted worlds in 2001. I was there and loved Vancouver (though I hated the result of the pairs competition). I prefer Toronto or Ottawa - cities I have not yet visited

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Just curious - has Skate Canada ever lost a Worlds bid? Did London have competition?

Montreal would be too good to be true so not holding my breath. But if there was any chance at getting the Bell Centre it'd be for Worlds, not SC or Nats...

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
Full house every day. Some of it was the Tessa and Scott effect but SW Ontario loves its figure skating.

vesperholly

Full house every day. Some of it was the Tessa and Scott effect but SW Ontario loves its figure skating.
2013 Ladies FS looked to be sold out. I was able to get a single ticket in the nosebleeds a few weeks before. Plenty of Yuna ubers in my section that probably drove down for Toronto just for her (didn't show up until the final flight) :lol: :rolleyes:

honey

I seem to remember Phil Hersh tweeting about empty seats in London. This article also talks about the empty seats from the first 3 days http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/15/t...-world-figure-skating-championships-in-london

I think the London worlds sold decently and they did likely sell out for the dance and women final, but the arena was only configured to seat 7,000. I have a feeling Skate Canada is probably not keen on having worlds in an NHL arena again after what happened at 2006 worlds in Calgary. I found an archived article which said total attendance was 94,000 for that event (which would have included more sessions than it does today because of the qualifying round) and said that most sessions were "half empty". From what I remember of the event on TV, half empty seems like an exaggeration, but maybe others who were there can comment.

I think that popularity in Canada is in a better place today than it was in 2006, but they probably aren't confident they'd get a respectable sized crowd in a larger venue. For the most part they've stayed away from venues larger than 10,000 for all their events since then with a handful of exceptions.

They used the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa which seats 19,000 for 2008 Skate Canada and 2014 Nationals, and the Colisée in Quebec City for 2007 Skate Canada which seated 15,000. The Pacific Coliseum was used for 2008 Nationals and 2009 4CC, but this likely was chosen because it was the olympic venue. Other than that, all the events have been in small-mid sized venues. In the last 10 years, they've hosted 23 events (1 Skate Canada and 1 Nationals each year, plus 1 4CC, 1 GPF and 1 Worlds) and only 5 times used a larger venue.

Especially given that their current established draws (Chan, V/M and D/R) will almost certainly be retiring after 2018, I'm not surprised they're wanting to stay in a smaller venue for 2020 Worlds.

manhn

09 4CC in Vancouver showed that 4CC in NA can actually attract a crowd. And it wasn't just because it was the year before the Olympics. Washington State residents will come up to Vancouver for a major skating event. And Vancouver is an easy enough flight for those in Japan, China and Korea.

06 Worlds in Calgary suffered for being post-Olympics. In London's defence, those "empty" seats were probably sold--the people just didn't show up. That happened in Boston too. But I really question SC's decision to host Worlds in such small, out-of-the-way places. I very much doubt that V&M fans from London would not have made the trek to, say, Toronto or Montreal.

Anemone

I wish it would be Ottawa or Kingston, but I don't know if their venues are big enough, especially Kingston.

TD Place in Ottawa (where Canadians is being held in 2017) is a 10,000 seat arena. Yes, they have a home hockey team in the 67s, but they are likely much eaiser to schedule on the road than the Sens would be. I would think that Canadian Tire Centre is bigger than they would want, as seating there is something in the 19,000-20,000 range. Lots of hotels in town (though not many very close to the arena if they went with the CTC), and certainly the international airport needed.
I would think the K-Rock Centre in Kingston is probably smaller than they would want, as seating there is only in the 5,000-6,000 range and everyone would have to fly in to Ottawa and then drive two hours or so to get to Kingston. Or fly into Toronto and drive 3 hours.

Rock2

Feel free to chew on this list of arenas from wikipedia. Looks like the numbers are slightly inflated in terms of seating capacity but I think they are close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_Canada

I'm not sure what's available for practice facilities as I realize that's a factor. My guess otherwise is there are 4 front runners that fit arena criteria:

1. Halifax
2. Ottawa - TD Arena
3. Vancouver - Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre (successfully hosted many Davis Cup tennis ties)
4. Victoria

I think those are your realistic players.
I'd forget Toronto because there is only one arena that fits and Ricoh means dealing with MLSE (big sports conglom)...which means $$$

Alberta is suffering corporately due to oil shock that looks to be extended. I'd factor out Red Deer although arena is good. Might not be the right time for that area.

The cities that seem interesting but I'd kick out for low corporate base include Windsor, Moncton, Saint John, St. John's, Kelowna, Kamloops, Abbotsford, Lethbridge

If I was to call out two real wildcards they would be Regina and Kitchener although both arenas are a smidge under capacity. Saskatchewan's got money and a rabid fan base. Kitchener has a strong corporate / tech base and fan base and 45 mins from Toronto airport. But the small ice surface -- even for Canada -- is cringeworthy. And, also close to London, which last had it. So, I'm thinking no.

Rock2

I was at 4CC in 09. Was a decent crowd but nothing woo-hoo-ish.
And certainly nothing going on in the upper deck....that is until Saturday night when they were hanging off the rafters to watch YuNa and Mao skate...and then the place emptied out immediately thereafter.

peibeck

Simply looking
I seem to remember Phil Hersh tweeting about empty seats in London. This article also talks about the empty seats from the first 3 days http://www.lfpress.com/2013/03/15/t...-world-figure-skating-championships-in-london

I think the London worlds sold decently and they did likely sell out for the dance and women final, but the arena was only configured to seat 7,000. I have a feeling Skate Canada is probably not keen on having worlds in an NHL arena again after what happened at 2006 worlds in Calgary. I found an archived article which said total attendance was 94,000 for that event (which would have included more sessions than it does today because of the qualifying round) and said that most sessions were "half empty". From what I remember of the event on TV, half empty seems like an exaggeration, but maybe others who were there can comment.

Calgary Worlds suffered from being right after the Olympics, and many/most of the Olympic medalists passed on going, so I don't think that helped ticket sales.

London Worlds were just about sold out for the dance and men's finals, and sold out for the ladies, pretty much the same as in Boston this year. But honestly, part of what I think the attendance problem (in both of those cities) was related to the cost of tickets and other sundry costs that come with attending a week long event. Add to that, the complete panic people made about lack of hotel space for Worlds in London, CA, and that probably kept some people away as well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm one of them: after my Kitchener SC experience where my hotel was overbooked, and I was sent to a hotel not within walking distance, I decided never to attend an event without many hotels and reliable transit to the arena, ie tours with arranged transport, a limited number error of NA cities, or Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information