Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
ISU feature, published today (March 20, 2018): Mirai Nagasu’s perseverance pays off (her Olympics team event FS video from the Olympic Channel is embedded)

I still love watching Mirai's TE FS over and over again (as well as all the TE really!).

Wow it seems like the Olympics were just yesterday but here we are at Worlds! Go Mirai! :cheer2::respec::cheer:

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Respectable if conservative skate for Mirai in the SP! She actually showed better presentation than I've seen in that program in a while. I wish she had gone for the 3A but not too bad! The under on the 3T did hurt a bit - I knew that with the fearsome Shin Amano in the House there would be no mercy on URs! He takes no prisoners! :COP::scream:

Imo Mirai should've have been a bit higher in the standings, in 7th but it's done and now I hope she brings that 3A back for the FS! Baby girl may or may not return next year - so if this is her final Worlds, I hope she goes out swinging!! :kickass:

nimi

Respectable if conservative skate for Mirai in the SP! She actually showed better presentation than I've seen in that program in a while. I wish she had gone for the 3A but not too bad! The under on the 3T did hurt a bit
Worse, the 3T was downgraded (<<). But that Mirai is still in top10 with basically a 3+2 is quite an achievement in itself, considering how many good skates with cleanish 3+3 we saw today.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Firedancer

Good skate by Mirai! Other than the error on the combination, everything else was very well done. And I definitely thought she should have been placed higher. It seemed like for some reason they stopped calling under rotations for the last group. Hoping to see the 3A tomorrow. And if this is her last competition skate (hope not!) I hope it is memorable and something she can always be proud of.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Worse, the 3T was downgraded (<<). But that Mirai is still in top10 with basically a 3+2 is quite an achievement in itself, considering how many good skates with cleanish 3+3 we saw today.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

ITA! I should have said downgrade rather than just under in my post! She's got a fight on her hands but if she nails her FS she may be able to pull up a couple of spots! :)

Good skate by Mirai! Other than the error on the combination, everything else was very well done. And I definitely thought she should have been placed higher. It seemed like for some reason they stopped calling under rotations for the last group. Hoping to see the 3A tomorrow. And if this is her last competition skate (hope not!) I hope it is memorable and something she can always be proud of.

THIS!! :respec: I think some of the skaters in the final group were given the benefit of the doubt but in any event, the SP is done - on to the FS for Mirai!

GullyGirl84

That's too bad about the combo. Mirai was solidly doing triple triples in her practice reports with no unders, and she's worked so hard on overcoming her rotation issues. I do hope that she shows some fight in her free skate.

edit: not sure if she will go for the triple axel in the long...she said "maybe, who knows" when asked about it...think maybe she is spent and gave all of the triple axels she had to give this season.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Now I'm wondering and playing the 'what if' game' lol! What might have Mirai scored if she'd gone for the 3A! What if she had nailed but still gotten the downgrade on the combo, or what if she'd stepped out of the 3A but fully rotated it, what if she rotated but fallen, what score, and so on! :D

Mirai's up second to last in the penultimate group - good spot and she goes up after Bradie: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/SEG004.HTM

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Now I'm wondering and playing the 'what if' game' lol! What might have Mirai scored if she'd gone for the 3A! What if she had nailed but still gotten the downgrade on the combo, or what if she'd stepped out of the 3A but fully rotated it, what if she rotated but fallen, what score, and so on! :D

Mirai's up second to last in the penultimate group - good spot and she goes up after Bradie: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/SEG004.HTM
She would have been top 4. She lost a lot of points on the combo and still managed 65 so that was great. I was actually very happy with her presentation this time around. I don't see her going for the triple axel in the long but she might surprise me. She hasn't landed any clean ones in practice even if they look lighter according to Jackie.

GullyGirl84

Yes, her PCs went up a few points from the Olympics. It's still a bit funny to me that the dress that Mirai ended up using in her short program for the 2017-18 Olympic season ended up being a design that she first wore at a random senior B in 2015. :p Call me a sucker, but I still think that she has more to give in the way of figure skating before she calls it quits (screw the triple axel, I want to see one of those clean triple lutz triple toes/triple salchow triple toes that she drills in practice!). I'm still not sure about the triple axel in the short strategy that they went for this season, but I think Mirai and Tom knew that they had to just go for broke to make the Olympic team. I always kinda felt like they should have just stuck with the one layout (that they used here). They were still having her do the lutz in the short through the grand prix. I miss her beautiful layback inna bauer into double axel that she used to do, and if she continues, I'm looking forward to seeing a new short from her.

Last edited:

giselle23

The judges just don't give any love to Mirai. At least her PCS went up a little bit but she is still given low to middling GOE.
I do not understand only +1 on her combination spin--maybe an IJS guru can enlighten me--and lower GOE on her layback than Zagitova. She got a number of zero GOEs on her 2A,too, even though that jump is one of her best. So far, she hasn't been hitting the 3A in practice, so it made sense not to go for it here. I hope she starts hitting it and can go for it in the LP.

Spun Silver

The judges just don't give any love to Mirai. At least her PCS went up a little bit but she is still given low to middling GOE.
I do not understand only +1 on her combination spin--maybe an IJS guru can enlighten me--and lower GOE on her layback than Zagitova. She got a number of zero GOEs on her 2A,too, even though that jump is one of her best. So far, she hasn't been hitting the 3A in practice, so it made sense not to go for it here. I hope she starts hitting it and can go for it in the LP.
It was a beautiful skate. I think the judges have her pegged as an inconsistent skater so she doesn't get the boost. But it's great that her PCS went up. This was the first skate all season where she didn't even try the 3A "in her mind". It's definitely better to do a beautiful 2A than to balk or pop it. She has some time to rest and practice so let's hope she will #finishstronger here, as she posted on Instagram. It's probably a tall order, and it will take a 3A, but if she and Bradie could finish 6th and 7th, they would both come home to a lot of praise. Maybe being under the radar as she is right now is just the thing she needs to do it.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Yes, her PCs went up a few points from the Olympics. It's still a bit funny to me that the dress that Mirai ended up using in her short program for the 2017-18 Olympic season ended up being a design that she first wore at a random senior B in 2015. :p Call me a sucker, but I still think that she has more to give in the way of figure skating before she calls it quits (screw the triple axel, I want to see one of those clean triple lutz triple toes/triple salchow triple toes that she drills in practice!). I'm still not sure about the triple axel in the short strategy that they went for this season, but I think Mirai and Tom knew that they had to just go for broke to make the Olympic team. I always kinda felt like they should have just stuck with the one layout (that they used here). They were still having her do the lutz in the short through the grand prix. I miss her beautiful layback inna bauer into double axel that she used to do, and if she continues, I'm looking forward to seeing a new short from her.

I agree that Mirai still has more to give in the sport! She's added the 3A to her arsenal only just this year, along with putting the 3S back in. I think another season of training the 3A she's going to be hitting it all the time in competition! But also, I would love love love to see her improve on the PCS side - get back that wonderful performance quality that she once had pre-2012, or even better than that! Maybe BACKLOAD another jump or two in her programs! I do hope if she stays another season, that she does an upbeat SP, not something lyrical and slow, but something right up there with "Pirates of the Caribbean". Mirai has said that is one of her favorite SPs (if not THE favorite). She's still in fabulous shape, if she can stay healthy she can keep improving for a bit longer!

Spun Silver

^ Has any lady ever hit the 3A all the time? I know Mao didn't. And Rin Nataya in juniors didn't, at Jr Worlds. I haven't seen all Midori Ito's skates (my bad).

I too feel it would be crazy for Mirai to retire right after conquering the 3A. Right now, it seems that her heart's desire is to get on DWTS and earn a living from "being a star" and, I guess, skating in shows, like Meryl. The odds are not in favor of that, alas. Hopefully another good skate, a lovely vacation, and the prospect of working with a new choreographer (I hope) will reinvigorate her to give it at least one more season. Nothing against Jeff Buttle at all, but I feel like Mirai needs some variety. And also, ITA, at least one upbeat program. Maybe an upbeat SP and a fiery dramatic LP, or vice versa. Would Body Heat make a good SP? It would be kind of Vanessa Jamesian. :)

Firedancer

I definitely think Mirai has more to give. Not only has she learned the 3A and added the 3S back to her programs but she has significantly improved her under rotations. There is no reason to think she can’t go another year if she wants to. And now the pressure of building a resume to make another Olympic team will be off.

I agree I would like to see a new choreographer (just for someone new) and something upbeat. What about working with Shae Lynn Bourne? She seems like she could work with Mirai’s maturity and give her something upbeat and fun.

GullyGirl84

I mean, Mirai goes to college, is in a serious relationship, and has been in the public eye since she was 14 years old, so I also wouldn't blame her if she wants to move on in life. :) I still feel like maybe she would want to do one more season? But isn't it interesting that Adam has devoted his life to skating, but has said recently that he would like to have a career and be known for other things, and for people to say "do you know that he went to the Olympics too?". I know that Mirai has also said that she would like more opportunities for her personality to shine. She's been on a rollercoaster these last few months...from Olympic hero to media punching bag...godspeed Mirai, I hope that you get to drink your champagne and you do you. The Olympic monkey from the last four years is off your back.

GullyGirl84

Whatever. If that's Mirai's last performance, I think she can go out with head held high. She was a bit tight, but I still don't think that the score reflected what was put out on the ice (though the technical panel seems to be a bit more "consistent" than they were in the short...for "some" people only though...), especially compared to some others. Jackie Wong is pretty accurate about calling the unders, and he didn't call them in real time either. But I guess that I should rewatch the slow mo...even Bradie got called. People who are giving her a hard time for not going for the triple axel seriously crack me up...they can get off of their high horse, they have no concept about what it takes/what toll it takes on the body to be going for the triple axel and eight triple free skates all season. I'm still not sure whether this worlds skate makes it more or less likely that she will return next year. Mirai also posted a cute "vlog" about her Olympic experience.

Spun Silver

I just feel bad for Mirai because placing tenth at her last two events takes away from the luster of her historic 3A and team bronze, and the rewards she could have gotten from them. But I am not a marketer so maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

Frida80

Mirai has the harshest tech controller Shin Amano. It was good idea leaving out the 3A because he's never called any of Mao's clean. I don't agree with some of his calls. The flip and lutz were iffy, but the combos were definitely clean! He torpedoed her score by at least Seven points, and she was clearly devastated. I'm so angry he had to be at Worlds and ruin it for so many skaters.

Last edited:

worldsnice12

I dont think there is anything for Mirai to be ashamed of with her performances here in Italy. The fact that I believe there were only a few 3A attempts in practice sort of was an indication that she did not have the same "agressive" approach as previously in the season (which is understandable). I think there are only a few skaters that have the ability to be in tip top shape both mentally and physically over a full season.
I was really proud of how she fighted through her LP and I was as emotional as Mirai in the end of that program. If this was her final competitive skate (which a part of me would have a hard time to accept), I will forever cheerish her for her perseverance, the highs and lows during her career and of course THAT Olympic Team LP which will always be a part of my "best of" memories as a skating fan.
I will forever be impressed with her drive to get back on that National podium and to rightfully earn a spot on the Olympic Team. She was the one who learned to jump the 3A at a late stage of her career, added a difficult 3/3 combo AND regained her 3S...my hat is off to her for these accomplishments.
Selfishly, I would love if she found motivation to continue for another season but if this is the end, so be it.

Frida80

Mirai’s vblog was so tear inducing. It was so hard for her to keep going after that backlash from reporters.

If Mirai has a fairer tech panel, she would’ve walked away with only one or two unders and a higher placement. Alas, she had Shin Amano. The man that called all Mao’s axels under and never had any love for Mirai. It was so disappointing seeing his name on the tech panel at worlds. I knew she couldn’t get a fair shake. It was so unfair! Those combos were clean! She’s worked so hard, just to have her 3F+3T combo called under by a blind man. Pathetic.

Mirai’s blog sounds like she’s mentally finished. She technically has two guaranteed spots at the GP. But she has to ask herself what she’s now competing for. Before, she was striving to get to Korea. That dream is achieved, as is her dream for an olympic medal. It has to be painful to see someone take all your hard work and throw it in your face like that. I hope she sticks around. But if she wants to move on, I’ll try my very best to accept it. Even though I’ll cry buckets.

I’d rather she take one more year and go out in a high note. She just got her highest components score ever! With another year and some work, I can completely see her on the podium at her GP events and at the GPF like she’s always dreamed.

Spun Silver

To finally get a components lift is a big deal. I hope that softens the blow of this placement and the harsh calls a little.

My only concern is for her to be able to reap the rewards of a successful career as she deserves. If she can do that now, I'm OK with her retiring. Sad and emotional, but OK. If not, then I hope she has it in her to fight her butt off for one more season, show off that 3A and work on the components, so she really can go out on a high note.

She is spent now, but maybe after SOI she'll be ready to get back to work. It looks like she only has a week or so off before she has to start SOI rehearsals. Oh well - at least the pressure is off and she'll enjoy SOI. I thought it was cool how she invited everyone to the Meet & Greets so she can meet us!

Edgecase

I just watched her FP and I would have called the back ends of both the flip-toe and the 2a-3t clean. Only the lutz was very clearly UR. I would really like her to continue because I feel she could take her components to a new level. She may be very tired both mentally and physically but her skating at this function did not appear gassed.

That said, if she chooses to retire she has so much to be proud of. I hope some of the younger generations of skaters will look at her as an example of how perseverance pays off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information