Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Last edited:

nimi

I hope that Mirai has been training....
No reason to think she hasn't been.

The Oscars night was, what, a little over a week ago, and after that there has been no media appearances that I know of... Plus it looks like she hasn't been very active on social media, either (there was that post about KT tape and this one but not much else), which is to be expected if she's been busy focusing on her training.

Basically, I assume no news is good news.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
No reason to think she hasn't been.

The Oscars night was, what, a little over a week ago, and after that there has been no media appearances that I know of... Plus it looks like she hasn't been very active on social media, either (there was that post about KT tape and this one but not much else), which is to be expected if she's been busy focusing on her training.

Basically, I assume no news is good news.
I hope you are right although I have seen quite a few posts on her instagram story about eating junk food and cheat meals. With Med withdrawing with little to no warning I am nervous.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I was thrilled when that popped up on my Instagram! YAY! :cheer2::cheer:

So I guess that answers the doubters who were certain Mirai wasn't going to Worlds just because of the Oscars! :D

And I really want try that KT Tape....I also want to know where Mirai got her sports bra LOL!

Mirai and Adam Win The Oscars!
Your new avatar is great. I hope Mirai does wear a custome like that soon, she really liked both of her Oscar dresses.

GullyGirl84

Mirai was practicing at an LA rink the day before the Oscars. One thing about Mirai is, she might not always compete well, but she is a training beast. If she doesn't do well at worlds, I really don't think that it will be for lack of training or diet....the whole "she didn't take the individual event seriously enough" is an urban legend. Plus, Evgenia's withdrawal was really not out of nowhere, she has been injured and people have been talking about it.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Mirai was practicing at an LA rink the day before the Oscars. One thing about Mirai is, she might not always compete well, but she is a training beast. If she doesn't do well at worlds, I really don't think that it will be for lack of training or diet....the whole "she didn't take the individual event seriously enough" is an urban legend. Plus, Evgenia's withdrawal was really not out of nowhere, she has been injured and people have been talking about it.
Thank you so much for the update!!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
The casting director of DWTS name-dropped Mirai, Adam, Nathan, and the Shib Sibs

“… If I could just do a season of ice skaters, that would be fantastic because I could have filled it up just with them.”

She does want athletes 'from all corners' though!

On Mirai: “I think she’s adorable, and I’m still really making the picks on who it is, but obviously she, Adam [Rippon], Nathan [Chen], the Shibutani’s.”

Since Mirai and Nathan are still competing I think the casting director should maybe split it! One season with Adam and the Shibs, another with Mirai and Nathan (if he's interested - I'm not sure - has he has said that he is??).

Just the same, Mirai, Nathan, Adam and the Shib Sibs are my absolute favorite skaters and my heart would soar if any or all of them were chosen! On the other hand, it makes me sad because one by one a fave would be eliminated...:( but then, maybe one of them could win the Mirror Ball trophy (I'm thinking Adam since he's so popular now). But it would be yet another dream come true for Mirai to be on DWTS! I hope it comes true for her! :cheer::cheer2:

Maximillian

RIP TA
The casting director of DWTS name-dropped Mirai, Adam, Nathan, and the Shib Sibs

“… If I could just do a season of ice skaters, that would be fantastic because I could have filled it up just with them.”

She does want athletes 'from all corners' though!

On Mirai: “I think she’s adorable, and I’m still really making the picks on who it is, but obviously she, Adam [Rippon], Nathan [Chen], the Shibutani’s.”

Since Mirai and Nathan are still competing I think the casting director should maybe split it! One season with Adam and the Shibs, another with Mirai and Nathan (if he's interested - I'm not sure - has he has said that he is??).

Just the same, Mirai, Nathan, Adam and the Shib Sibs are my absolute favorite skaters and my heart would soar if any or all of them were chosen! On the other hand, it makes me sad because one by one a fave would be eliminated...:( but then, maybe one of them could win the Mirror Ball trophy (I'm thinking Adam since he's so popular now). But it would be yet another dream come true for Mirai to be on DWTS! I hope it comes true for her! :cheer::cheer2:

I've been under the understanding that unless that are absolutely huge stars, Olympic athletes really need to be on the DWTS right after the Games they just competed in, otherwise, the theory goes, no one will know who they are (silly, I know), I think that's why Laurie Hernandez competed right after Rio, as opposed to Simone Biles, the reasoning being that Biles was a big enough star that she could compete whenever because everyone knows her.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I've been under the understanding that unless that are absolutely huge stars, Olympic athletes really need to be on the DWTS right after the Games they just competed in, otherwise, the theory goes, no one will know who they are (silly, I know), I think that's why Laurie Hernandez competed right after Rio, as opposed to Simone Biles, the reasoning being that Biles was a big enough star that she could compete whenever because everyone knows her.

This is true. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure but I think Adam is probably the biggest star to come out of the Games, and imo Mirai triple Axelled her way to fame outside of the skating community as did Nathan with his 6 quad FS (5 landed cleanly). Nathan has also been in so many ads, big ones like the Super Bowl! The Shibs have several endorsements as well. I still think Mirai and Nathan could delay another season due to their world wide exposure at the Olympics and they'll be fine.

GullyGirl84

Knowing nothing about Dancing with the Stars, other than the one episode that I have watched in its history, my sense is:

1.) Their number 1 priority for this season would be Adam

2.) Their second priority for this season (in terms of figure skaters), if they couldn't get Adam, would be the Shibs. Though maybe they would go for both Adam and the Shibs. Would Virtue and Moir be interested? I have a feeling that the Shibs would be more likely to do it than they would be.

3.) They would be interested in Mirai if they could get Adam and do an Adam/Mirai combo. In their pre-Oscars Entertainment Tonight interview, Mirai said "We love to compete. I think that I could take [Adam] on pretty well". Adam said that he would be interested in doing it, which I think could bode well for Mirai's chances. But I'm not sure if they would take Mirai as a sub for Adam, and that her being there could also depend on how many of the "gold" winners from the Olympics say no. Interestingly, when Entertainment Tonight asked them if Dancing with the Stars would be next, Mirai said "I hope so...", and then hesitated, and Adam said "We still have the World Championships to go", and Mirai looked at him and nodded. I just thought that was interesting because Adam had already committed to not going to Worlds at that point. I'm not sure if Nathan would be into competing on Dancing with the Stars, yet at least...

This is all just reading the tea leaves. I still think that it's kind of funny how much Mirai wants to compete on Dancing with the Stars, and I find it endearing tbh. But if she doesn't get picked, I don't think that she will be devastated.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Knowing nothing about Dancing with the Stars, other than the one episode that I have watched in its history, my sense is:

1.) Their number 1 priority for this season would be Adam

2.) Their second priority for this season (in terms of figure skaters), if they couldn't get Adam, would be the Shibs. Though maybe they would go for both Adam and the Shibs. Would Virtue and Moir be interested? I have a feeling that the Shibs would be more likely to do it than they would be.

3.) They would be interested in Mirai if they could get Adam and do an Adam/Mirai combo. In their pre-Oscars Entertainment Tonight interview, Mirai said "We love to compete. I think that I could take [Adam] on pretty well". Adam said that he would be interested in doing it, which I think could bode well for Mirai's chances. But I'm not sure if they would take Mirai as a sub for Adam, and that her being there could also depend on how many of the "gold" winners from the Olympics say no. Interestingly, when Entertainment Tonight asked them if Dancing with the Stars would be next, Mirai said "I hope so...", and then hesitated, and Adam said "We still have the World Championships to go", and Mirai looked at him and nodded. I just thought that was interesting because Adam had already committed to not going to Worlds at that point. I'm not sure if Nathan would be into competing on Dancing with the Stars, yet at least...

This is all just reading the tea leaves. I still think that it's kind of funny how much Mirai wants to compete on Dancing with the Stars, and I find it endearing tbh. But if she doesn't get picked, I don't think that she will be devastated.

I don't think Virtue and Moir can compete on DWTS because they're Canadian - but I could be dead wrong! Have non-Americans competed on the show before?? I've only watched DWTS when gymnasts or skaters have been on.

nimi

Mira interview: link 1 (People.com, with videos popping up) & link 2 (text only)

a couple of excerpts...

re: heading to Worlds
Now, Nagasu is taking things one day at a time. She doesn’t think about how her performance at worlds might compare to or even top that breakthrough first Olympic skate a few weeks ago.

But, she says, “I want to peak in Italy.”

“I’m more like a live-in-the-moment kind of person, but anything is possible,” she says. “And even at the Olympics I know where I made my mistakes and people who watch me every day said, ‘Oh you can even do better than that,’ and so I know it’s possible.”

re: Oscars
“I didn’t have to compete and I was not nominated for anything and I literally got to sit there while people made me beautiful, so I was in heaven,” Nagasu says playfully. “I had a really great time, and I really enjoyed my experience — and also it was an open bar, so that was fun.”

Last edited:

worldsnice12

I must admit I am a bit nervous about Mirai not knowing her mindset coming into these Worlds. I was happy to see that post on instagram rippin of an easy looking 3S/3T in what looked like a public rink.
After reading the People interview it seems as she trust her "plan" (I suppose Tom mad a training plan for the whole season including post Olympics) so physically, she still seems to be in form. I hope that mentally, she also feel prepared and most importantly motivated to end the season with two good performances.

Maximillian

RIP TA
I'm not sure of Mirai's mindset, either, but I have to say that I'm glad to see that she backed off social media and went back to training post-Oscars. I suspect that she is as prepared as she possibly can be for Worlds. Not sure how she'll skate at World, but I do think that she did the best she could possibly do in terms of prep for Worlds.

Spun Silver

I'm always anxious for Mirai so what else is new? I just want her to end the season on a high note (with another 3A). I can't imagine the pressure that jump places on the psyche but I saw it for years with Mao. And she's been on a roller coaster since winning that bronze medal. Focus, focus and GO, MIRAI!!! :respec::fan21::cheer:

GullyGirl84

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/mirai-nagasu-world-figure-skating-championships/
Here's a new NBC article with some quotes from Mirai. It says that she has not decided whether or not she will continue after this season (though her quotes in the article don't exactly say that, and it sounds more like generic stuff she has said at the end of each season? I could see her retiring after this season though even though she has said recently that she plans to keep competing, but I am also so weary of journalists and their own interpretation of Mirai comments at this point).

I know that Mirai said in the TSL interview from a few years ago that she wants to have a moment when she knows that she is done skating and that she has done everything she can or could have, and that she doesn't know whether she'll have a moment, but she hasn't yet. So I hope that (whether or not it's at Worlds or in subsequent seasons) Mirai is able to have that moment she is looking for. :) So many skaters have had their careers cut short due to injury, Mirai has really been relatively "lucky" that she has had a long career and that the injuries she has had have still not taken her "out" of any seasons.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
According to Jackie, Mirai's 3A is looking good!

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/975789727877140480

YAY! :cheer::cheer2: Here's hoping Mirai keeps her mojo going all the way through two great skates!

Ot, ugh I hate Mondays! So busy in the morning/afternoon I missed Jackie's initial reports! I think he's watching Nathan, Max, and Vincent's practice now. Hoping he has great things to say about all our U.S. skaters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information