Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

B.Cooper

Well, Tom Z. "liked" the post where Mirai announced she was going to the Oscars, he and Mirai are the only ones who truly can appreciate what went down at the Olympics for her, so I trust that they have a training plan in place for worlds. I also remember her saying in her Ice Talk interview after nationals that she had to turn down some interview requests because a lot of people wanted to interview her during "training time". Mirai more than anyone knows that going to worlds is one of the "prizes" of placing at nationals, after not getting to go in 2008 and 2014. After the team event, I figured that Adam and Mirai would be going to the Oscars.

Mirai is the one who had to sleep in a storage closet, become an Avalanche Girl to help pay her skating bills, skate for scholarship money at the collegiate championships, and skate at the Airforce Academy to get some extra ice time, so good for her for letting loose a little imo. Though I fully expect that if she has a poor performance at worlds, people will point to the Oscars (I remember Eurosport saying some nonsense like that about Gracie the year after the Olympics, like she was spending too much time with Taylor Swift, etc.). I wonder if Mirai and Adam are getting paid to go (to provide coverage for Access or something).

Don't let Mirai's backstory make you feel too sorry for her over the last few years. :) She has been supported thru a private foundation in Denver, Colorado, for quite some time, which has enabled her to fully focus on training and the fund has fully supported her training expenses (and some school at UCCS). Not many skaters have that sort of financial support i.e. not relying on sponsorship deals or working part time to support their skating expenses.

And, all the skaters at Collegiates are skating/competing for scholarship funds. ;-) It is part of the mission statement of the competition...

GullyGirl84

Don't let Mirai's backstory make you feel too sorry for her over the last few years. :) She has been supported thru a private foundation in Denver, Colorado, for quite some time, which has enabled her to fully focus on training and the fund has fully supported her training expenses (and some school at UCCS). Not many skaters have that sort of financial support i.e. not relying on sponsorship deals or working part time to support their skating expenses.

And, all the skaters at Collegiates are skating/competing for scholarship funds. ;-) It is part of the mission statement of the competition...

Yes, Mirai is more fortunate than others, but that doesn't mean the journey has been easy and that she hasn't worked her ass off. Did not mean to paint a sob story (so please don't put words in my mouth), but it's a fact that Mirai said that she wanted and needed her scholarship when she skated the collegiate championships, even if she has more "support" than the average skater.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am happy that Mirai is going to the Oscars. I am sure she is super excited. She has earned this mini break from skating. If anything, this will provide a reset to her, and even help her do better at worlds.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I'm well aware that the Oscars are 'only one night', but going seems to speak of a larger issue of lack of focus, and Mirai needs to be focused. Getting caught up in the hubaloo and off-ice activities of the 3A and team event affected her performances in the IE at the Olympics and I'd really prefer not to see that happen again at Worlds. I say this only because I think Worlds is an opportunity for her to make a great statement for next season, however, I don't think a mediocre to poor performance will be to her benefit for next year and I'd rather her not go than attend not fully prepared and focused.

So then all of those other Olympic athletes that have attended (and will be attending) the Oscars means that it 'speaks to a lack of focus' for them too? Or does that only apply to Mirai? Again, your post makes no sense at all. She's got plenty of time to 'regroup' if one can even call it that from one night at the Oscars before getting back to the grind for Worlds. And Tom and Mirai would know better than anyone how to prepare for that competition.

Well, Tom Z. "liked" the post where Mirai announced she was going to the Oscars, he and Mirai are the only ones who truly can appreciate what went down at the Olympics for her, so I trust that they have a training plan in place for worlds. I also remember her saying in her Ice Talk interview after nationals that she had to turn down some interview requests because a lot of people wanted to interview her during "training time". Mirai more than anyone knows that going to worlds is one of the "prizes" of placing at nationals, after not getting to go in 2008 and 2014. After the team event, I figured that Adam and Mirai would be going to the Oscars.

Mirai is the one who had to sleep in a storage closet, become an Avalanche Girl to help pay her skating bills, skate for scholarship money at the collegiate championships, and skate at the Airforce Academy to get some extra ice time, so good for her for letting loose a little imo. Though I fully expect that if she has a poor performance at worlds, people will point to the Oscars (I remember Eurosport saying some nonsense like that about Gracie the year after the Olympics, like she was spending too much time with Taylor Swift, etc.). I wonder if Mirai and Adam are getting paid to go (to provide coverage for Access or something).

THIS! :respec:

Yes, Mirai may have better sponsorship now but that's NOW. It wasn't in the days as far as I'm aware when she won Nationals. AFAIK she had little financial help at all apart from her parents and some funding before she left for Colorado. Imagine if her training had been fully funded right from the beginning!

Don't know if they'll be paid, but the vids posted by Mirai with Adam on her IG Story are adorable! I downloaded them for posterity! They both look like they're having lots of fun and can't wait for the Oscars! Good for them. They've earned some downtime and the right to let loose at the Oscars!

Eta: I too wish to see footage of the Team Event from Eurosports with NO Tara and Johnny (especially Tara, much as I've always been a fan).

Last edited:

B.Cooper

Yes, Mirai is more fortunate than others, but that doesn't mean the journey has been easy and that she hasn't worked her ass off. Did not mean to paint a sob story (so please don't put words in my mouth), but it's a fact that Mirai said that she wanted and needed her scholarship when she skated the collegiate championships, even if she has more "support" than the average skater.

All skaters need financial support. :)

B.Cooper

And, to add to discussion on the athletes that are attending events this weekend in LA (Mirai at the Academy Awards)....Ladies SP in Milan is March 21st, leaving two weeks for training before the ladies depart for Milan (assumption ladies depart Saturday 3/17, arrive Milan Sunday 3/18. Two days of practice before the SP. I would hope Mirai has been training in LA, with the Oscars on Sunday night, that would potentially put her back in Colorado sometime on Monday. Two solid weeks to train. It probably isn't about physical readiness, but mental readiness at this point.

leigh466

giselle23

Two videos with Mirai & Adam:
https://www.nbc.com/access/video/mi...ars-in-case-he-makes-out-with-someone/3677500
https://www.accessonline.com/articles/adam-rippon-mirai-nagasu-want-have-3-way-margot-robbie-oscars/

They are so sweet and adorably cute! I think a lot of us have forgotten how very, very young we still were in our 20s (*cough* attack dog Phil Hersh*cough*) I hope they have a wonderful time!

Forever on #teamMirai

Mirai is so cute! Adam, too, but I'm also on team Mirai forever.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Same here! Forever on #teamMirai! :respec::rockstar::cheer2::cheer:

Heck, OT but I'm also forever on #teamAdam, #teamShibSibs, #teamNathan, #2018USFSOlympicTeam! My all time fave Olympic team for sure! Love every skater on that team to bits! That's why they're all my avatar this month! In their honor! #teamKaren and #teamVincent too!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Spun Silver

Microsoft Education recognizes Mirai's achievement at the Olympics first up for Women's History month! https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/969663488028065792

https://twitter.com/MicrosoftEDU/status/969641251057233920

@MicrosoftEDU
We're celebrating #WomensHistoryMonth w/ a little twist: by recognizing women MAKING history! First up: @mirai_nagasu! Her accomplishment is proof that hard work pays off!

They got that right! Awesome Mirai! Congrats! :respec:
So cool, esp that she's the first one they recognize! :biggrinbo

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai (wearing Tadashi Shoji): https://twitter.com/VogueRunway/status/970426737820610560

Joint interview on red carpet (video): http://www.accessonline.com/article...ars-kelly-marie-tran-crashes-their-interview/
On the 2018 Academy Awards red carpet, Olympic figure skaters Adam Rippon and Mirai Nagasu chat with Access' Scott Evans and Kit Hoover about their fab fashion. Plus, they freak out while when "Star Wars" actress Kelly Marie Tran crashes their interview.
ETA recap article with Access' video embedded: http://www.accessonline.com/article...ars-kelly-marie-tran-crashes-their-interview/

People (includes video): Olympic Skater Mirai Nagasu Jokingly Offers to Do Triple Axel for I, Tonya Sequel — in a Blond Wig!

Access' video "Mirai Nagasu & Adam Rippon Show Off Their Pre-Oscars Glam Routine": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDPzfAD--U

6-minute red carpet video: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...katers-mirai-nagasu-adam-rippon-talk-53505377

Interview with Entertainment Tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5u0CVEnrc

Last edited:

nimi

Somebody at Getty isn't very good at their job. :rolleyes:

Getty Mixes Up Two Asian-American Women at the 2018 Oscars

On the bright side, Jackie gets a shout out!

Eagle eyed Jackie Wong was quick to catch a very confused Getty Images moment on Twitter.

It seems like someone at the photo agency mixed up two Asian-American women. Star Wars actress Kelly Marie Tran was mislabeled as Olympic figure skater Mirai Nagasu and vice versa happened.

Last edited:

GullyGirl84

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information