Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

Frida80

Its great that Mirai is getting so much attention and praise. She has earned it through hard work and perseverance.

I know, right? She just became a household name over night! It’s so cute!

Her boyfriend has arrived and they spent her off day together. Then tomorrow she be back at the rink to train for the individual. Time to start folding again.

Spun Silver

I mentioned this in another thread, but red is really the power color of these Olympics:

Mirai LP
Bradie SP
Patrick LP
Shibs FD
V/M FD
ETA:
Sakamoto LP
Zagitova LP
Kostner SP
Jun Hwan Cha SP
Any more?

All these Mirai memes wouldn't be nearly as good if she were wearing white, light blue or even black. Red rocks!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I mentioned this in another thread, but red is really the power color of these Olympics:

Mirai LP
Bradie SP
Patrick LP
Shibs FD
V/M FD
There are more but I'm forgetting who.

All these Mirai memes wouldn't be nearly as good if she were wearing white, light blue or even black. Red rocks!

Sakamoto LP

GullyGirl84

Question-I know that Phil mentions in his article that Mirai is the first woman to do a clean eight triple free skate at the olympics, but is she also the first senior lady to do a clean 8 triple free skate (without unders or edge calls) period?

Earlier, Mirai's wikipedia page had been updated to read that she was the first "female" to do a clean 8 triple free skate, but that's gone now (not that I'm taking wikipedia edits to mean anything ;)). Is it because Rika Kihira was the first to do a clean 8 triple free skate, and that Mirai is the first senior lady to do a clean 8 triple free skate?

Given how much trouble the technical panel has given Mirai over the years for her edges and rotations, I just want to make sure that she is getting credit for every little piece of history she is bringing to these games. Though obviously the team event is a bit different if the subs are not performing both programs (to account for tiredness maybe), but still.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think one of the early skaters in the mens SP wore red- may be the one from S. Korea?

Did Carolina wear red for her SP? If my memory serves me right, she did.

Spun Silver

@GullyGirl84, it seems Mirai is the first sr lady to do it anywhere, with Rika Kihira being the first jr lady, but we should probably pose this Q as a separate thread to be sure. I definitely wouldn't use Wikipedia as a source on something like this. Whoever are in charge there are not figure skating experts! (I tried putting in Mirai's first ratified 3As last fall, and some editor totally changed and messed it up, grr).

Spun Silver

When everyone in the US team box cheered

Is this list only for the skaters in the Team Event?
Not necessarily. We should probably start a new thread about this too! Feel free if you have time!

I'm not sure what your first line is referring to.

GullyGirl84

@GullyGirl84, it seems Mirai is the first sr lady to do it anywhere, with Rika Kihira being the first jr lady, but we should probably pose this Q as a separate thread to be sure. I definitely wouldn't use Wikipedia as a source on something like this. Whoever are in charge there are not figure skating experts! (I tried putting in Mirai's first ratified 3As last fall, and some editor totally changed and messed it up, grr).

Thanks, yeah, when I saw that Mirai's wikipedia had been updated, I thought it wasn't accurate and that Rika Kihira did it first...for what it's worth, in Jackie Wong's "Ode to Mirai", he said that he researched and the only other clean 8 triple free skate he could find was Rika at 2016 JGP Slovenia. I stay away from editing wikipedia, but someone updates it for Mirai after her competitions, so I wish that they could add that she's the first senior lady to do a clean 8 triple free skate. On another note, Mirai's picture on wikipedia is from when she was 16 years old, it seems like it should be updated at this point.

ToFarAwayTimes

If Mirai lands her 3A and 8 triples in the individual event and polishes up just a little bit more (level 4s etc.) then I hope she wins. The Russians don't deserve the marks they are getting and the 20+ gap is a scandal. It really is. I'm almost to the point where I want someone with 2 falls to win by 10+ points so the IOC is once again pressured into revoking the ISU's membership from further Olympic games.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
If Mirai lands her 3A and 8 triples in the individual event and polishes up just a little bit more (level 4s etc.) then I hope she wins. The Russians don't deserve the marks they are getting and the 20+ gap is a scandal. It really is. I'm almost to the point where I want someone with 2 falls to win by 10+ points so the IOC is once again pressured into revoking the ISU's membership from further Olympic games.

Agreed!

Mirai painted a picture and a program.

Zag is just frantic skating and movement with Small jumps and with all content in the backend and completely unbalanced. If you ask me Id have her no higher than 3rd/4th.

Guinevere

It's great that Mirai is getting so much attention and praise. She has earned it through hard work and perseverance.

I like that she's getting the attention for what she laid down on the ice, not because of "feeling bad for her" like how casual skating fans reacted after 2014 Nationals.

People (meaning casual skating fans) seem to forget she was so damn close to unseating Joanne Rochette from the bronze in Vancouver (though for obvious sentimental reasons and as a Canadian I won't complain).

I also think her 3A is the cleanest and purest one I've seen from a woman so far. Huge height, great form in the air, no question about under rotating.

screech

People (meaning casual skating fans) seem to forget she was so damn close to unseating Joanne Rochette from the bronze in Vancouver (though for obvious sentimental reasons and as a Canadian I won't complain).
I'm happy for Mirai, and she absolutely killed it in the team event, but people have been rewriting this history for 8 years. Joannie was not even 0.5 from Mao in the LP, and was 3 points out of silver overall. She beat Mirai by 12.5 points in the total score (5 points in the FP). Mirai was 6th in the SP and 5th in the FP (Laura Lepisto was ahead of Mirai in 4th in the FP). It was nowhere near as close as people like to make it out to be, and not just because of Joannie's situation.

kwanatic

Isn't it interesting how life turns out? Mirai missing the Sochi Olympics was both the best and worst thing that could have ever happened to her. Even though it hurt, look what that pain and disappointment pushed her to do. I don't know that she would have been as motivated and determined to succeed had she not had that event in her life as her driving force for the last 4 years. She fought back hard and look where she is now.

Everything happens for a reason :)

So excited to see her in the individual event. I'm thinking if she can nail everything in her SP she has a chance of scoring 73-75 which would likely put her in that top 6...and if she can repeat her performance from the FS, she'd likely hit 140.

Frida80

Isn't it interesting how life turns out? Mirai missing the Sochi Olympics was both the best and worst thing that could have ever happened to her. Even though it hurt, look what that pain and disappointment pushed her to do. I don't know that she would have been as motivated and determined to succeed had she not had that event in her life as her driving force for the last 4 years. She fought back hard and look where she is now.

Everything happens for a reason :)

So excited to see her in the individual event. I'm thinking if she can nail everything in her SP she has a chance of scoring 73-75 which would likely put her in that top 6...and if she can repeat her performance from the FS, she'd likely hit 140.

You’re low balling her. If she hits everything in her SP, she will score 76-78 and in her FS now she’ll get 142-145. It’s the Olympics, they will inflate her score.

bardtoob

I think Mirai is competing with Osmond, Daleman, Kostner, Satoko, etc. for Bronze. I do not see a scenario where Zagitova and Medvedeva do not claim the gold and silver ... And I'm fine with it.

I would like to see Mirai shine some more because that is what she came to the Olympics to do.

... Mirai has really transcended the traditional podium goals in a way that is true to the Olympic motto, "Faster, Higher, Stronger".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information