Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

kwanatic

You’re low balling her. If she hits everything in her SP, she will score 76-78 and in her FS now she’ll get 142-145. It’s the Olympics, they will inflate her score.

Not low balling, just being cautiously optimistic. They'll definitely reward her for going clean again but I don't know by how much. I've learned to stop trying to figure out how the judges come up with scores nowadays. If she's 100% clean I could see her hitting 74-76. I can't see the judges giving her 78...then again I couldn't see the judges giving Zagitova nearly 160 points for that program so, again, I have no idea what the judges will do.

A 78 would be massive and would put her in medal contention. If Mirai delivers on the technical end that's going to boost her scores but I don't know by how much. Will they bump her PCS by 0.25-0.50 per each component? Or give her the Russian treatment and boost her from earning around 32 to 36?

No way to know. I just hope she goes out there and lays it down, regardless of the score.

Skittl1321

Wow, it's a forgone conclusion to the world the Russians will take the top 2 medals? Surprises do happen; look @ '14! :rolleyes:

Like Surprise! The OAR athletes withdrew!

Because they are so far ahead it would take a MAJOR MAJOR surprise.

toddlj

As much of a fan as I am, I still wouldn't want Mirai to succeed only because of someone else's injury or withdrawal or meltdown. I hope everyone does their best and the cards will fall where they will. If she skates well, I will be happy, placement be damned.

Spun Silver

As much of a fan as I am, I still wouldn't want Mirai to succeed only because of someone else's injury or withdrawal or meltdown. I hope everyone does their best and the cards will fall where they will. If she skates well, I will be happy, placement be damned.
Er, I want her to sneak in and take advantage if there's an opening. It would be amazing if this were like Vancouver again and almost every lady skated clean. That is very rare but sometimes Olympic marvels happen. But if this is more like a normal event, mistakes will happen and i hope Mirai will be right there skating her best as she did in Vancouver and just now the team event.

Fiero425

Er, I want her to sneak in and take advantage if there's an opening. It would be amazing if this were like Vancouver again and almost every lady skated clean. That is very rare but sometimes Olympic marvels happen. But if this is more like a normal event, mistakes will happen and i hope Mirai will be right there skating her best as she did in Vancouver and just now the team event.

Amen and hallelujah to that! We all know if the situation was reversed, Russians would snatch any medal available to them! They had some lean years; esp. when Maria Butryskaya blew it before '94 Lillehammer Games and they had no female entrant! :rolleyes: :40beers: :respec:

toddlj

OK, I admittedly agree with all this but I will not wish injury or meltdown on anyone. That's just bad karma. I will only wish for the best for everyone.

ETA: I bet some people are screaming "FALL" at the screen when Zagitova skates. Not me!

Last edited:

Spun Silver

OK, I admittedly agree with all this but I will not wish injury or meltdown on anyone. That's just bad karma. I will only wish for the best for everyone.

ETA: I bet some people are screaming "FALL" at the screen when Zagitova skates. Not me!
Wont be me, I love Zags. I'm not rooting for anyone to fail, but chances are someone will make mistakes and I hope Mirai will be the one who takes advantage if they do.

Skittl1321

99% of the time I like for skaters to do their best.
Every once in awhile when I really want someone else to win, I've been known to say "fall but don't get hurt".
I really really don't want anyone to get hurt...

Fiero425

Wont be me, I love Zags. I'm not rooting for anyone to fail, but chances are someone will make mistakes and I hope Mirai will be the one who takes advantage if they do.

As much as I want to like the Russian skaters, I can't stand the one arm above the head on every jumping pass! If it's once in a while I can deal with it, but it's just not pretty! In some cases it downright ugly and they need to all STOP IT! :scream: :kickass:

Spun Silver

LOL. Med's are ugly IMO but Zags does them nicely. It's not they who need to stop it, it's the IJS. The girls are being smart - and incredibly strong.

nguyhm

For the Olympics my wishes have always been for Mirai to:
Make the Olympics team - and she did - with flying colors - rightfully and deservedly
Deliver a clean 3Axle at the Olympics - and holy cow she did
Skate lights out - she did at the team event
She exceeded my expectations - Mirai being the first American lady to deliver a 3Axle at the Olympics and the first Senior lady to ever perform a clean 8 triples program are ice(cream) on the cake. Double history making... I feel like a proud mom at the kids' graduation :cheer2::biggrinbo

pkmnfan

Today at work, I attended an all-hands meeting with over 100 people. At the end of the meeting, our team leader gave a presentation on our organization's accomplishments so far in 2018. He put a picture of Mirai on the last slide and said that we accomplished so much that it was like doing a triple axel. I was more excited about him mentioning Mirai to everyone than his compliments about all we accomplished.

GullyGirl84

Here are some cute videos of Mirai on the NBC Olympics website:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/car-qa-team-usa-figure-skater-mirai-nagasu
In-Car Q & A with Mirai Nagasu

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mapping-journey-mirai-nagasu
Mapping the Journey with Mirai Nagasu (I love the story that Mirai tells about her mom)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/how-mirai-nagasu-designed-her-own-sushi-roll
from Mirai’s interview on NBC Sports Network a few days ago

Nick McCarvel just tweeted that he told Mirai after the US Ladies press conference last night that she was channeling her inner Adam Rippon with sass, and she told him “Maybe Adam has actually been channeling me this whole time, Nick” https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/965215009398648832 :lol:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Nagasu firmly in Olympic medal conversation
Armed with triple axel, 24-year-old possess skill set to make podium run

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/19/266713000

"I've had her in the conversation for a week," said Robin Cousins of Great Britain, the 1980 Olympic gold medalist and BBC commentator.

"When I saw her at the team event with a triple axel as big as many men's, I said, 'That girl came for one thing, to prove she is part of history,''' said Tomas Verner, 2008 European champion and Czech TV commentator.

GullyGirl84

Yes, I've read a few articles where Mirai is now being discussed as a potential contender for bronze, including a few articles from Christine Brennan. All do acknowledge that in "joining the conversation", she is among a large group (Daleman, Kostner, Osmond, Sotskova, Miyahara, Sakamoto, etc...am I forgetting anyone? :p) who are in the conversation as well.

From reading Jackie Wong's reports, it sounds like Mirai is practicing very well...but I have yet to read about her doing a "clean" sp runthrough, and I think that she's fallen on the axel in the sp runthroughs that I've read about. Outside of the sp runthroughs, her standalone 3A attempts and long program 3A attempts have been good. But seeing how they scored her in the long, I think she would need a clean SP to have a chance, so I'm not getting too excited...yet. In thinking about the program that Mirai did in the team event, yes, she came in 2nd, and we have discussed at length what is lacking components wise in the program. But she also did a clean 8 triple long, including a triple axel. Spin level and step sequence level downgrades be damned, I've seen worse programs than that reach 140 in the last few years. So while I'll be cautiously optimistic, I'm still mostly expecting Mirai to place lower than someone who could potentially have a clean SP, and then do only a 4-6 triple LP and be placed over her due to components. Maybe by keeping my expectations low, she'll exceed them, like in the team event. Conversely, I could also see her getting a scoring bump after the team event.

On another note though...I think that the press that Mirai has gotten from the triple axel and team event bronze make her post-olympics :bribe: seem more promising than they were before. She said to Nick McCarvel yesterday that "hopefully her and Adam would be competing against each other soon in a different competition", but I think that the Dancing with the Stars schedule would conflict with her Stars on Ice tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information