Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

kwanatic

I knew she was going to land it here, I just knew it. :rollin:

It was a gorgeous jump...but then to go out and hit 7 more triples after that? I'm so floored by her focus and determination!

I figured she'd place 3rd or 4th in that field (which was a really tough field) if she skated decently, but she beat out everyone except Zagitova. True both Carolina and Kaori had issues but she beat out a clean* (haven't checked the protocols yet) Gabby Daleman and that's a big deal. Those points were essential in separating the US from Italy for the medal. OMG, Mirai has an Olympic medal now!! :biggrinbo

What's even better is that Mirai can ride this wave into the individual event. If she can skate cleanly in the SP her PCS are going to go up...and if she can repeat her performance from last night in the FS, they'll go up even more. She's putting herself in the position to crack that top 5.

I'm so unbelievably proud of her. No one ever thought it would happen (a clean 3A and 7 triples) but she did it and made history in the process:
- 3rd woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics
- 1st American to land a triple axel at the Olympics
- 1st senior woman to execute a fully ratified 8-triple program

SO PROUD!! :cheer2:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
So happy for Mirai. She really went for it. I almost lost it when she tripped twice in the first turn and opening cross overs but she held tough and went on skate so well. The thing is that she can do much better than that program still. The flip combo didn't get any +GOE overall and the spin and footwork lost a level. I hope can complete those elements a little better and go for the top 5!! I have watched the axel so many times. :fan::fan::fan::fan:

nimi

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Midori Ito
Mao Asada
Mirai Nagasu

The Three M's who landed the triple axel in the Olympics. Pretty good company for Mirai.

Midori and Mao won silver medals at their Olympics. Can Mirai join them in that too? It doesn't seem likely but the Olympics do bring surprises. After last night's performance she should be considered at least a contender for the bronze, along with many others (Sotskova, Kostner, Osmond, Daleman)

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I knew she was going to land it here, I just knew it. :rollin:

It was a gorgeous jump...but then to go out and hit 7 more triples after that? I'm so floored by her focus and determination!

I figured she'd place 3rd or 4th in that field (which was a really tough field) if she skated decently, but she beat out everyone except Zagitova. True both Carolina and Kaori had issues but she beat out a clean* (haven't checked the protocols yet) Gabby Daleman and that's a big deal. Those points were essential in separating the US from Italy for the medal. OMG, Mirai has an Olympic medal now!! :biggrinbo

What's even better is that Mirai can ride this wave into the individual event. If she can skate cleanly in the SP her PCS are going to go up...and if she can repeat her performance from last night in the FS, they'll go up even more. She's putting herself in the position to crack that top 5.

I'm so unbelievably proud of her. No one ever thought it would happen (a clean 3A and 7 triples) but she did it and made history in the process:
- 3rd woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics
- 1st American to land a triple axel at the Olympics
- 1st senior woman to execute a fully ratified 8-triple program

SO PROUD!! :cheer2:

Initially i had thought Mirai would get the team bronze because of other strong skaters on her team, but it was Mirai that brought that bronze medal home, by creating a big lead over Italy. That one point lead was making me very nervous. Going into FD i was feeling relaxed and confidenr that she and the USA team will win the bronze.

kwanatic

So happy for her. She looked like the happiest person in the world on that medal stand. When it comes to Olympic years she delivers.

I'd amend that to say when it comes to February, Mirai delivers. :D

Mirai is a late season skater. She revs up during the first half of the season and really finds her stride by the second half. Unfortunately she rarely gets the chance to compete beyond maybe 4CC. Just when she gets going her season is over and she has to start over again.

She's competing in February and March this season. This is like prime time for Mirai which makes me hopeful we'll see strong performances in the individual event as well. :cheer2:

SkateFanBerlin

Preach, it's a major problem if a skater can meander around the rink for 2 minutes without a single jump, throw one arm overhead with each cymbal crash of the music, and somehow that's PCS worth over 9 out of 10 points.
Exactly. The judging has just become a joke. Whatever the new flavor is wins the PCS lottery. Lyp was going to be then queen, then Tut, then Med, now Zag. These girls are given the points too early.

Mirai looked lovely and strong. 21 points behind? Ridiculous!!

olympic

The ladies LP team event had me in a state. My heart was pounding in my throat when Mirai took the ice. When she landed the 3A, I literally jumped and clapped, scaring my husband.

I sat through Sakamoto, Daleman and Kostner, thinking the judges would place someone ahead of her. I thought for sure the judges would pump up Kostner’s PCS and put her in the lead. By the time Zagitova took the ice, I knew she would rocket ahead but it didn’t matter anymore.

Spun Silver

I'd amend that to say when it comes to February, Mirai delivers. :D

Mirai is a late season skater. She revs up during the first half of the season and really finds her stride by the second half. Unfortunately she rarely gets the chance to compete beyond maybe 4CC. Just when she gets going her season is over and she has to start over again.

She's competing in February and March this season. This is like prime time for Mirai which makes me hopeful we'll see strong performances in the individual event as well. :cheer2:
But she also does some of her best work at her first, pre-GP events. So maybe she just doesn't like the GP. :)

Or come to think of it, maybe she is crushed by schoolwork in the fall!

mag

Not sure if it showed up on the NBC feed, but I watched on CBC and the Canadian bench just exploded when Mirai landed the 3A. Yes, they are competing against each other, and yes they all want to win, but I think there is real respect among the skaters because they know how hard they all work. Seeing someone come back the way Mirai has and land that smokin 3A must be a real thrill for them all.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not sure if it showed up on the NBC feed, but I watched on CBC and the Canadian bench just exploded when Mirai landed the 3A. Yes, they are competing against each other, and yes they all want to win, but I think there is real respect among the skaters because they know how hard they all work. Seeing someone come back the way Mirai has and land that smokin 3A must be a real thrill for them all.

They didnt show it on NBC but may be there is a youtube of the Canadian reaction somewhere?

I would also like to see Tom Z.'s reactions during Mirai's skate. We saw Adam's on NBC.

Yes, the skaters really respect each other when someone does something extraordinary. The team event is a great platform for that.

Spun Silver

I wonder how Mirai's life will change now. I think she just became America's sweetheart. I am not too worried about a repeat of the Lipnitskaya history because Mirai is older and more media-experienced and Tom Z will help keep her focused. He has a training plan for every single day at home, so I'm sure he has one for the Olympics!

But after the Olympics I wonder about endorsements, TV opportunities like DWTS, etc. I do hope she stays centered enough to finish school and keep skating at least one more season. But what a Cinderella story (sorry, Bradie!). No one deserves it more than our girl.

Maximillian

RIP TA
So thrilled for Mirai here - an 8 triple free skate at the Olympics - a new record for a lady! She’s gotta stay focused now - would love her in the mix for an individual medal.
I've been thinking the same thing, and I think having Tom Z. might be a big help, there seems to be a lot of mutual respect there and he seems to be hyper-organised, so I'm hoping he'll have her back on a schedule and not get too caught up in her 'moment'. I still think she can do great in the ladies event, though as it has been mentioned spots 1-2 seem to be locked because the GOEs and PCS for Med and Zags are off the charts right now.

skatfan

Yes Tom Z I’m sure has a whole plan. And may I say that Tom Z is such a class act with Mirai. He took her on when no one else would, refused to take input from other previous coaches who wanted to give dirt on her, saying he wanted her to have a fresh start. She’s so mentally strong now.

eurodance2001

I liked that too; Duhamel especially jumped up and I almost expected her team to have to restrain her.. LOL.. The Canadian team was just WOW and applauding and happily cheering on.. It was great to see..

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information