Mirai Nagasu Cheer thread: Return to Olympus

livetoskate

Oh that's too bad they weren't there! I hope Mirai can have 2 kick ass performances in the individual event too. I wonder if she could try to rack up a few more points by sticking her hand over her head on a few jumps, tack on a double toe on something, or backloading the program at this late hour? Watching Zagitova, I'm impressed by her jumping ability but think she could be another Sotnikova, getting her medal and leaving the competitive scene quickly. It would be awesome for Mirai to get another medal.

Spun Silver

Oh that's too bad they weren't there! I hope Mirai can have 2 kick ass performances in the individual event too. I wonder if she could try to rack up a few more points by sticking her hand over her head on a few jumps, tack on a double toe on something, or backloading the program at this late hour? Watching Zagitova, I'm impressed by her jumping ability but think she could be another Sotnikova, getting her medal and leaving the competitive scene quickly. It would be awesome for Mirai to get another medal.
She has been training a Rippon (Manley) 3 Lz but personally I think she would be crazy to try it here for the first time. Although I did just read how Dick Button did the first 2A at the Olympics the day after he learned it. :lol:

Willin

@AngieNikodinovLove Oh, totally. Her program is very lacking in transitions and other choreography. She also apparently tripped twice before the 3A (I didn't see it, but they were showing her from the waist up). Still, it doesn't make what she did any less impressive. Doing the 3A at the Olympics and getting no URs is a huge step up for Mirai, and if she needs no choreography to do it and get that 137+ free skate score, go for it. There are plenty of skaters who had transitions and jumps that she could beat with a score like that.

ks777

I am in awe of her focus and determination. I didn't even see them but she said she tripped a couple of times at the beginning of the program and still went for the 3A! What a tribute to her training and character. She's not poor little underachieving Mirai any more. She is the two-time Olympian who's only the third lady in history to land a 3A at the Olympics - in the glorious company of Midori Ito and Mao Asada. What a club! I am imagining them clinking glasses in Tokyo next fall! :D

Brava, Mirai!!!!! You took charge of your destiny like the Olympian you are!
I thought she tripped a few times and was so worried.

barbk

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/mirai-nagasu-triple-axel-life-coach

"
In 2014, Mirai Nagasu took third at the U.S. Championships, but she was passed over for an Olympic spot for Ashley Wagner because of Wagner’s international resume. It was gut punch moment for her.

Did she go home and eat In ‘n’ Out cheeseburgers? Well, yes. Adam Rippon joined her to do just that. But then she got back to work, added the hardest jump a woman has ever done in figure skating, skated her best program of the year in the team event, and helped the U.S. win bronze.

So the next time you get screwed over at work? Think about Mirai. When Greg from marketing takes your idea and then gets credit for it? MIRAI.

Oh, you thought you were going to get to go to the big conference in Hawaii, but Marcia swooped in and took your spot? MIRAI...."

:D

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Gabby, Carolina and Kaori all with underrotations.

Mirai with a completely clean sheet.
Wow @ Jae Eun Chung.

The Olympics I tell you.
Does that mean that Mirai is one of only a few women who successfully completed 8 clean triples in a single program? Pretty sure Mao Asada did it at one time, and IIRC Midori Ito has several 7 triple ones with a 3A but not with 2 other repeated triples.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Does that mean that Mirai is one of only a few women who successfully completed 8 clean triples in a single program? Pretty sure Mao Asada did it at one time, and IIRC Midori Ito has several 7 triple ones with a 3A but not with 2 other repeated triples.
Mirai is the first ever female skater who delivered a CLEAN 8 triple program in OLYMPICS. Mao got a few URs in Sochi when she skated that legendary long program to Rach 2. Rika Kihira did a CLEAN 8 triple program in an international competition earlier but it was NOT in OLYMPICS. Mirai made a history! So much happy for her. :respec:

ETA:
Rika Kihira's protocol in 2016 JGPS (Ljubljana, Slovenia)

Last edited:

leigh466

SHES GETTING BETTER AND BETTER..... WOWWW

Question.. she got the lowest PCS of everyone. Deservedly??

Don't care what anyone says. NO. I call BS!~ Total BS. Mirai has gorgeous posture and carriage. She is elegant, graceful, fluid, actually balletic, as opposed to stuffed into a tutu, and I saw lots of improvement in movements stretched out and held. She is a joy to watch!

Spun Silver

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/mirai-nagasu-triple-axel-life-coach

"
In 2014, Mirai Nagasu took third at the U.S. Championships, but she was passed over for an Olympic spot for Ashley Wagner because of Wagner’s international resume. It was gut punch moment for her.

Did she go home and eat In ‘n’ Out cheeseburgers? Well, yes. Adam Rippon joined her to do just that. But then she got back to work, added the hardest jump a woman has ever done in figure skating, skated her best program of the year in the team event, and helped the U.S. win bronze.

So the next time you get screwed over at work? Think about Mirai. When Greg from marketing takes your idea and then gets credit for it? MIRAI.

Oh, you thought you were going to get to go to the big conference in Hawaii, but Marcia swooped in and took your spot? MIRAI...."

:D
I love this so much. Maybe she will be on South Park or SNL soon!

ToFarAwayTimes

Don't care what anyone says. NO. I call BS!~ Total BS. Mirai has gorgeous posture and carriage. She is elegant, graceful, fluid, actually balletic, as opposed to stuffed into a tutu, and I saw lots of improvement in movements stretched out and held. She is a joy to watch!

I think Mirai has improved a lot from a few years ago. She could still improve her presentation more. She's just not consistent with it through an entire program. Just moments here and there and then flat-lining in between..

But this is the thing...her presentation is never BAD. She never does anything ugly. There are some young ladies getting scored much higher than her who have UGLY moments. The gap between her and the top should not even be close to what it was tonight, especially considering her technical content.

Meoima

I think Mirai has improved a lot from a few years ago. She could still improve her presentation more. She's just not consistent with it through an entire program. Just moments here and there and then flat-lining in between..

But this is the thing...her presentation is never BAD. She never does anything ugly. There are some young ladies getting scored much higher than her who have UGLY moments. The gap between her and the top should not even be close to what it was tonight, especially considering her technical content.
I think it's her projection is not huge. She does not emote as much as other skaters (example Ashley). But yes she never does anything ugly. I am ok with her PCS because she does not do many transitions and more focus on landing her jumps but they're much better than in the past so it pays off.

Jagerboy

When I read that Mirai nailed her program, the first thing that popped into my mind was, take that, Frank Carroll. I will never forgive him for how he treated Mirai when she was down. I hope many of those that counted her out, feel bad. Shame on the USFSA for hyping her now when they threw her under the bus when she needed support the most.

annie_mg

She has been training a Rippon (Manley) 3 Lz but personally I think she would be crazy to try it here for the first time. Although I did just read how Dick Button did the first 2A at the Olympics the day after he learned it. :lol:
S/S did a throw triple axel after trying it out for the first time in practice the day before in 2012. It can happen! :)

ToFarAwayTimes

I think it's her projection is not huge. She does not emote as much as other skaters (example Ashley). But yes she never does anything ugly. I am ok with her PCS because she does not do many transitions and more focus on landing her jumps but they're much better than in the past so it pays off.

I don't think it's always about emoting. There are some skaters who have that fake cheesy look whenever they skate and I can't stand it. It's more about being into the program and performing. Mirai does this better than she did a few years ago and her programs aren't as empty. I do think she can improve more but personally, I would rather watch her skating style than someone who is doing too much in their program without rhyme or reason or any sense of the music.

Mirai did 8 triples clean. She landed a triple axel. She didn't have an ugly moment in her entire skate. She lost by 21 points. There is still a major problem with figure skating judging and it's a systemic problem that as a fan, makes me want to see the whole thing get blown up and not watch anymore.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I don't think it's always about emoting. There are some skaters who have that fake cheesy look whenever they skate and I can't stand it. It's more about being into the program and performing. Mirai does this better than she did a few years ago and her programs aren't as empty. I do think she can improve more but personally, I would rather watch her skating style than someone who is doing too much in their program without rhyme or reason or any sense of the music.

Mirai did 8 triples clean. She landed a triple axel. She didn't have an ugly moment in her entire skate. She lost by 21 points. There is still a major problem with figure skating judging and it's a systemic problem that as a fan, makes me want to see the whole thing get blown up and not watch anymore.

Preach, it's a major problem if a skater can meander around the rink for 2 minutes without a single jump, throw one arm overhead with each cymbal crash of the music, and somehow that's PCS worth over 9 out of 10 points.

Meoima

I think it's more about Zagitova was scored too generously than Mirai was underscored. I'd say some of the landings Mirai look tight but I'd give her benefits of doubt as they're more on the borderline side than downright UR. I think one more issue is consistency. If she skates like this throughout the season her PCS would get a huge boost. But it is too difficult to skate well with a 3A in the layout.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Just woke up to the new about the 3A and Mirai in 2nd in the Ladies TE. Amazing! So proud and now she has an Olympic medal. Such a terrific day to be a Mirai fan! And seriously, as angry as I was about Sochi, the fact that last night was the consequence of that, almost makes it okay for me...almost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information