Minimum Total Element Scores (TES) for 2023 ISU Championships

Sylvia

TBD
Creating a thread for the new season...

The Council determined that the Skaters/Couples participating in the ISU Championships 2023 must
have reached the following Minimum Total Elements Scores during the ongoing season (2022/23) or
the two immediately preceding seasons (2021/22 and 2020/21):

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023:
SP/RD FS/FD
MEN 34.00 64.00
WOMEN 32.00 53.00 (previously 30 / 51)
PAIR SKATING 29.00 46.00 (previously 27 / 44)
ICE DANCE 33.00 49.00 (previously 33 / 47)

ISU European, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023:
SP/RD FS/FD
MEN 28.00 46.00
WOMEN 25.00 42.00 (previously 23 /40)
PAIR SKATING 25.00 42.00
ICE DANCE 28.00 45.00 (previously 28 / 44)

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2023:
SP/RD FS/FD
JUNIOR MEN 25.00 44.00 (previously 23 / 42)
JUNIOR WOMEN 25.00 40.00 (previosuly 23 / 38)
JUNIOR PAIR SKATING 23.00 34.00
JUNIOR ICE DANCE 24.00 38.00 (previously 23 / 37)

Note regarding the Covid-19 situation:
In case that due to the Covid-19 pandemic an extended number of Competitions are cancelled during
the fall 2022, the Council will review the situation in regard to the Minimum Total Elements Score again
at the time of the October Council meeting.
The required Minimum Total Elements Score for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free
Skating/Free Dance to participate in Senior ISU Championships (ISU European Figure Skating
Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, ISU World Figure Skating
Championships) can only be obtained in Senior International Competitions. Likewise, the required
Minimum Total Elements Score for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free Skating/Free
Dance segment to participate in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can only be
obtained in International Junior Competitions.
The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and
must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph
7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the
ongoing or two preceding seasons (see above-mentioned Council decision) in both segments, Short
Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair
Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).
While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a
total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached
at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one)
days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry
deadline).
If it would become evident that the number of entries based on the Minimum Technical Elements
Scores listed above would be significantly higher or lower than expected, the ISU Council reserves the
right to adjust the Minimum Technical Elements Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned
objective.
ISU Members will be informed latest 45 days prior to the entry deadline of the respective
Championships if the announced required minimum Technical Score will be adjusted or will remain as
announced. In case of the continental Championships the announcement for both European and Four
Continents Championships will be made 45 days prior to the entry deadline of the earlier
Championships, in this case the European Championships.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
The communication has been revised and scores in season 2020/21 won't count any longer.

(Page 4)

The Council determined that the Skaters/Couples participating in the ISU Championships 2023 must have reached the following Minimum Total Elements Scores during the ongoing season (2022/23) or the two immediately preceding seasons (2021/22 and 2020/21)

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication No. 2500 - Entries for ISU Figure Skating and Synchronized Skating Championships 2023 (August 2, 2022): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/29157-isu-communication-2500/file

In accordance with Rule 378, paragraph 2, the following ISU Members shall have the right to enter more than 1 competitor, pair or dance couple:

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023
Men
3: JPN, USA
2: CAN, FRA, GEO, ITA

Women
3: KOR, JPN, USA
2: AZE, GEO, GER

Pairs
3: CAN, JPN, USA
2: AUT, FRA, GEO, GER, GBR, NED

Ice Dance
3: FRA, USA
2: CAN, GBR, ITA, LTU, ESP

ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2023
Men
3: ITA, RUS*
2: AZE, CZE, FRA, GEO, LAT

Women
3: RUS*
2: AZE, BLR*, BEL, EST, GEO, POL, SUI

Pairs
3: ITA, RUS*
2: BLR*, GEO, GER, HUN, ESP

Ice Dance
3: RUS*, ESP
2: FRA, GBR, ITA, LTU, UKR

* subject to the lifting of protective measures as per ISU Communication 2469

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2023
Men
3: CAN, KAZ, USA
2: EST, JPN, ITA, SWE, SUI

Women
3: KOR, USA
2: EST, JPN, SUI

Pairs
3: AUS, CAN, GEO
2: CZE, FRA, GER, ITA, UKR, USA

Ice Dance
3: CAN, USA
2: CYP, FRA, GER, GBR, KOR

Note regarding the Covid-19 situation:
In case that due to the Covid-19 pandemic an extended number of Competitions are cancelled during
the fall 2022, the Council will review the situation in regard to the Minimum Total Elements Score again
at the time of the October Council meeting.

Entries from Belarus and Russia are all subject to the lifting of protective measures as per ISU
Communication 2469.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaana

The men´s technical scores are way too low, IMO and should be at least:

WC 38/68
EC and 4C 32/50

Foolhardy Ham Lint

ISU Communication No. 2500 - Entries for ISU Figure Skating and Synchronized Skating Championships 2023 (August 2, 2022): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/29157-isu-communication-2500/file

In accordance with Rule 378, paragraph 2, the following ISU Members shall have the right to enter more than 1 competitor, pair or dance couple:

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023

Pairs
3: CAN, JPN, USA
2: AUS, FRA, GEO, GER, GBR, NED
For a split second I got excited and thought that Australia had qualified two teams for 2023. Then I realised this meant AUT (Austria).

Andrea82

As expected, many skaters achieved TES minimums for Junior WC in Courchevel and Ostrava JGPs.

However, I would like to highlight two achievements at SEA Open this week.
Pagiel Yie Ken Sng (Singapore) and Douglas Gerber (New Zealand) achieved the minimum TES for Four Continents. So far, they are the only male skaters from their country having the minimums for 4CCs.
Last appearance for New Zeland in the Men discipline was 2010 (Cameron Hems finishing last). I don't think Singapore ever took part to 4CCs in Men.

Last edited:

airgelaal

As expected, many skaters achieved TES minimums for Junior WC in Courchevel and Ostrava JGPs.

However, I would like to highlight two achievements at SEA Open this week.
Pagiel Yie Ken Sng (Singapore) and Douglas Gerber (New Zealand) achieved the minimum TES for Four Continents. So far, they are the only male skaters from their country having the minimums for 4CCs.
Last appearance for New Zeland in the Men discipline was 2010 (Cameron Hems finishing last). I don't think Singapore ever took part to 4CCs in Men.
Unfortunately, no. Because

The required Minimum Total Elements Score for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free
Skating/Free Dance to participate in Senior ISU Championships (ISU European Figure Skating
Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, ISU World Figure Skating
Championships) can only be obtained in Senior International Competitions.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Osipova/Epstein earned their Worlds FS TES min at Lombardia Trophy this morning. They already had the Worlds SP TES min, and Danilova/Tsiba have both of the increased Worlds TES mins, so Netherlands will be able to use both of their Pairs spots at Worlds this season.

Karen-W

Once this weekend's competitions are complete (Santa Claus Cup & Bosphorus Cup), there are only 3 competitions left for singles skaters to earn their Euros TES mins (there are 2 competitions in early Jan that will give any 4CCs singles skaters one last chance); for dance there is 1 left for those seeing Euros TES mins (plus 1 in January for 4CCs); and for pairs, there is just 1 competition left to earn their Euros/4CCs TES mins (no early Jan competitions include pairs) -

Asian Open FS Trophy - Dec 5-9 (entries/results page only shows singles - no pairs or dance - http://fisid.org/wp-content/ddb/)
Golden Spin - Dec 7-10 (pairs & dance included)
Latvia Trophy - Dec 16-18
Edusport Trophy - Jan 11-15
FISU World University Games - Jan 13-15 (dance included)

Ahead of Jr Worlds & Worlds, there are plenty of opportunities for singles skaters to achieve those elusive TES mins, but there are only 3 competitions that include dance and only 2 that include pairs -

Volvo Open Cup - Jan 18-22 (dance)
Bavarian Open - Jan 31-Feb 5 (dance & pairs)
Jevrivag Cup - Feb 3-5 (dance)
Icelab Cup - Feb 3-5 (pairs)

There are 5 additional competitions during the last 3 weeks of February for dance teams seeking Worlds TES mins, 2 of which also include pairs on the schedule -

Egna Dance Trophy - Feb 9-12
Ephesos Cup - Feb 14-18
Sarajevo Open - Feb 17-19
IISF Ice Mall Cup - Feb 21-24 (includes pairs)
Challenge Cup - Feb 23-26 (includes pairs)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Those TES minimums for Women for Worlds got really high, imho too high. I get they don't want to have 40+ ladies competing in the SP but it looks like an overkill to me.

With Russians, UltraCs, and the Shvetsky Factor gone for a while (ever?)…the Women’s elements totals should go down a bit. Let’s return to reality.

RoseRed

For the women's Worlds field:

Japan, USA, Belgium and South Korea have 3 spots. Georgia, Azerbaijan, Germany have 2 spots.

Listed skaters are those who have the minimums currently. Where a country has a few options like Japan I won't give a list.
  1. Japan 1
  2. Japan 2
  3. Japan 3
  4. USA 1
  5. USA 2
  6. USA 3
  7. South Korea 1
  8. South Korea 2
  9. South Korea 3
  10. Germany 1 (Nicole Schott)
  11. Germany 2 (Kristina Isaev)
  12. Belgium 1 (Loena Hendrickx)
  13. Georgia 1 (Anastasia Gubanova)
  14. Austria (Olga Mikutina or Stefanie Pesendorfer)
  15. Bulgaria (Alexandra Feigin)
  16. Canada (Madeline Schizas or Gabby Daleman)
  17. Cyprus (Marilena Kitromilis)
  18. Czechia (Eliska Brezinova)
  19. Estonia (Eva-Lotta Kiibus or Niina Petrokina)
  20. Finland (Janna Jyrkinen or Oona Ounasvuori)
  21. France (Lorine Schild or Lea Serna)
  22. Great Britain (Kristen Spours)
  23. Hungary (Julia Lang)
  24. Italy (Anna Pezzetta)
  25. Moldova (Gracheva)
  26. The Netherlands (Lindsay van Zundert)
  27. Norway (Gomez)
  28. Poland (Ekaterina Kurakova)
  29. Slovenia (Dasa Grm)
  30. Switzerland (five options)

Nina Pinzarrone (Belgium) has met the minimums as a junior, so if she's in shape after her injury she could get them at Golden Spin. Alina Urushadze (Georgia) and Yi Zhu (China) have the minimums but haven't competed this season, so I didn't count them on the list.

I think whether the minimums are too high depends on what size of field they're aiming for. Probably at least a couple of the ones I have listed will end up not at Worlds with injuries and such (trying to be realistic) and many of these countries only have one option. But probably at least a few more skaters will get their minimums in time for Worlds also.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Japan, USA, Belgium and South Korea have 3 spots. Georgia, Azerbaijan, Germany have 2 spots.

Listed skaters are those who have the minimums currently. Where a country has a few options like Japan I won't give a list.
  1. Japan 1
  2. Japan 2
  3. Japan 3
  4. USA 1
  5. USA 2
  6. USA 3
  7. South Korea 1
  8. South Korea 2
  9. South Korea 3
  23. Hungary (Julia Lang)
  25. The Netherlands (Lindsay van Zundert)
  26. Poland (Ekaterina Kurakova)
  27. Slovenia (Dasa Grm)
  28. Switzerland (five options)

Nina Pinzarrone (Belgium) has met the minimums as a junior, she's competing at Golden Spin. If she's in shape I think Belgium will have a 2nd woman. Alina Urushadze (Georgia) and Yi Zhu (China) have the minimums but haven't competed this season, so I didn't count them on the list.

I think whether the minimums are too high depends on what size of field they're aiming for. Probably at least a couple of the ones I have listed will end up not at Worlds with injuries and such (trying to be realistic) and many of these countries only have one option. But probably at least a few more skaters will get their minimums in time for Worlds also.
Belgium has 3 spots - both Jade Hovine and Nina Pinzarrone need to achieve the Sr TES mins (Jr TES doesn't count for Sr). Theoretically, if Pinzarrone is back to her pre-injury level, she'll easily get them. Hovine has been trying for a couple of seasons at least and hasn't hit them yet, so I'm not sure she is a good example of someone negatively impacted by this season's increase.

It does feel like there are less women who will have the TES mins than in past seasons, in general, though, especially when you look at the list as laid out.

Andrea82

1. Japan 1
  2. Japan 2
  3. Japan 3
  4. USA 1
  5. USA 2
  6. USA 3
  7. South Korea 1
  8. South Korea 2
  9. South Korea 3
  23. Hungary (Julia Lang)
  25. The Netherlands (Lindsay van Zundert)
  26. Poland (Ekaterina Kurakova)
  27. Slovenia (Dasa Grm)
  28. Switzerland (five options)

Nina Pinzarrone (Belgium) has met the minimums as a junior, she's competing at Golden Spin. If she's in shape I think Belgium will have a 2nd woman. Alina Urushadze (Georgia) and Yi Zhu (China) have the minimums but haven't competed this season, so I didn't count them on the list.

There has been some additions last week (not yet updated on ISU statistics page)

29. Norway (Gomez. Achieved both SP and FS minimums at Santa Claus Cup)
30. Moldova (Gracheva. Achieved SP minimum at Bosphorus Cup. Already had the FS one)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought Pinzarrone is too young for Senior competition?
She turned 16 in November and was 15 by the "before July 1" deadline. The as-is age changes in the upcoming seasons won't impact her or anyone else who was a 15 or older by July 1 2022 and skating Senior.

Andrea82

Trying to do RoseRed's exercise on Men

1) Japan 1
2) Japan 2
3) Japan 3
4) USA 1
5) USA 2
6) USA 3
7) Canada 1
8) Canada 2
9) France 1
10) France 2
11) Georgia 1
12) Georgia 2
13) Italy 1
14) Italy 2
15) Austria (Zandron or Maierhofer)
16) Azerbaijan (Litvintsev)
17) China (Boyang)
18) Spain (Guarino)
19) Estonia (Selevko #1 or #2 or Levandi)
20) Great Britain (Newberry)
21) Germany (Starostin)
22) Hungary (Vlasenko)
23) Israel (Gorodnitsky)
24) South Korea (Cha, Lee or Kyeong)
25) Latvia (Vasiljevs)
26) Mexico (Carillo)
27) Poland (Samoilov or Witkowski)
28) Switzerland (Britschgi)
29) Slovakia (Hagara)
30) Sweden (Majorov or Nordeback)
31) Turkey (Demirboga or Oktar)
32) Ukraine (Shmuratko or Marsak)
+
33) Australia (Kerry, currently injured)
34) Czech Republic (Reshtenko, not seen this season)
35) Kazakhstan (Shaidorov* not competed this season yet)

Andrea82

Pairs World Championships potential entries so far

1) USA 1
2) USA 2
3) USA 3
4) Japan (Miura/Kihara)
5) Canada 1 (Stellato/Deschamps)
6) Canada 2 (McIntosh/Minar)
7) Canada 3 (Matte/Ferland)
8) France 1 (Kolovev/Kolovev)
9) France 2 (Vouillamoz/Giniaux)
10) Georgia 1 (Safina/Berulova)
11) Georgia 2 (Metelkina/Parkman)
12) Germany 1
13) Germany 2
14) Great Britain (Vaipan Law/Digby)
15) Netherlands 1 (Danilova/Tsiba)
16) Netherlands 2 (Osipova/Epstein)
17) Australia (Golubeva/Giotopoulus)
18) China (Peng/Jin)
19) Czech Republic (Zukova/Bidar)
20) Italy
21) Ukraine (Holichenko/Darenskyi or Sierova/Khobta)
22) Spain (depending on when Barquero's ban ends)

Karen-W

Pairs World Championships potential entries so far

1) USA 1
2) USA 2
3) USA 3
4) Japan (Miura/Kihara)
5) Canada 1 (Stellato/Deschamps)
6) Canada 2 (McIntosh/Minar)
7) Canada 3 (Matte/Ferland)
8) France 1 (Kolovev/Kolovev)
9) France 2 (Vouillamoz/Giniaux)
10) Georgia 1 (Safina/Berulova)
11) Georgia 2 (Metelkina/Parkman)
12) Germany 1
13) Germany 2
14) Great Britain (Vaipan Law/Digby)
15) Netherlands 1 (Danilova/Tsiba)
16) Netherlands 2 (Osipova/Epstein)
17) Australia (Golubeva/Giotopoulus)
18) China (Peng/Jin)
19) Czech Republic (Zukova/Bidar)
20) Italy
21) Ukraine (Holichenko/Darenskyi or Sierova/Khobta)
22) Spain (depending on when Barquero's ban ends)
Additionally, there are at least 5 teams from other countries going for the mins at Golden Spin this weekend - Austria, Hungary, Philippines, South Africa & Sweden. I doubt Mauder/Wilkinson from South Africa will get it based on their Warsaw Cup showing, but Schaller/Mayr (AUT), Gamez/Korovin (PHI) & the Crafoords (SWE) only need the SP min as they've already achieved the FS min.

Plus, Smart/Mattick will probably compete at either Bavarian Open or Challenge Cup to get their Worlds mins and use GBR's 2nd spot.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I will continue to marvel that Canada managed to hang on to two spots in men, but not 3 spots in dance.
Let's look at the potential Dance teams list:

1) France 1
2) France 2
3) France 3
4) USA 1
5) USA 2
6) USA 3
7) Canada 1
8) Canada 2
9) Great Britain 1 (Fear/Gibson)
10) Italy 1
11) Italy 2
12) Lithuania 1 (Reed/Ambrulevicius)
13) Lithuania 2 (Ramanauskaite/Kizala)
14) Australia (Harris/Chan)
15) Azerbaijan (Carhart/Kolosovskyi or Ritter/Brykalov)
16) China (Wang/Liu, Chen/Xing or Li/Wang)
17) Czechia (Taschlers or Cimlova/Polizoakis)
18) Estonia (Mazingue/Gaidajenko)
19) Finland (Turkkila/Versluis or Orihara/Pirinen)
20) Georgia (Kazakova/Reviya)
21) Germany (Janse van Rensburg/Steffan, Luft/Pfisterer or Matthaei/Liebers)
22) Hungary (Ignateva/Szemko or Hancock/Fourati)
23) Israel (NosoSibs)
24) Japan (KanaDai or KoKo)
25) Kazakhstan (Nauryzova/Datiev)
26) Latvia (Ipolito/Russell)
27) New Zealand (Lafond-Fournier/Kam)
28) Poland (Borysova/Freeman, Oliver/Graham, or Polibina/Golovishnikov)
29) Slovakia (Pucherova/Lysak or Simova/Aksenov)
30) Ukraine (Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Larson/Kapran or Pinchuk/Pogorielov)
  • Armenia (Azroian/Gruzdev need the RD)
  • Netherlands (Jakucs/Galli need the RD & Verhaegh/van Geffen are also very close on both so it's possible one or both could get them before Worlds)
  • Norway (Bjorkli/Koszuta need the RD)
  • Switzerland (new team of Sassi/Morini earned the FD at NRW Trophy; less than a point from the RD)
So, right now, 30 teams, potentially 34. I don't think it's all that likely that one of the two other British dance teams will achieve the Worlds TES mins, and I don't think the new Spanish dance team (Val/Kazimov) will be eligible to compete at Challenge Cup to earn the mins ahead of Worlds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information