Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:cheer: she did it. She won consecutive medals at Worlds/Olympics for the same period of time that the U.S. Ladies have gone without winning a medal at a Worlds/Olympics. :40beers:

Tara Lipinski may not have pointed that fun-fact out for us this week, but it is very much a thread. :glamor:

bardtoob

I still don't understand how she didn't see that guy the first half-lap around the rink.

1. Maybe she was confused and thought it was typical German humor at first?
2. Maybe she was unfazed at first because isn't a man in a tutu what most people expect at a figure skating competition? :lol:
3. Maybe he got on the ice after she?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
That's such a crazy stat. She's still the only skater most of my friends can name. When she left, so did the last remnant of the Nancy/Tonya saga. I think the massive coverage of her, of her quiet story, allowed the audience to endear themselves to her. She also hit all the boxes: sympathetic, from a working class family, hard worker, pretty, good attitude, didn't come across as fake, and got results.

Too many of the U.S. Ladies these days seem to be more talk than walk. From a powerhouse to a country of Brezinas. :yawn:

bardtoob

:cheer: she did it. She won consecutive medals at Worlds/Olympics for the same period of time that the U.S. Ladies have gone without winning a medal at a Worlds/Olympics. :40beers:

Tara Lipinski may not have pointed that fun-fact out for us this week, but it is very much a thread. :glamor:

You mean Tara skipped saying the Kween lived long ;)

... "Long live the Kween! Long live the Kween! ..."

rhapsody

That's such a crazy stat. She's still the only skater most of my friends can name. When she left, so did the last remnant of the Nancy/Tonya saga. I think the massive coverage of her, of her quiet story, allowed the audience to endear themselves to her. She also hit all the boxes: sympathetic, from a working class family, hard worker, pretty, good attitude, didn't come across as fake, and got results.

Too many of the U.S. Ladies these days seem to be more talk than walk. From a powerhouse to a country of Brezinas. :yawn:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bardtoob

Well, skaters nowadays can -- and do -- get 6.00's, but it's not the same thing as the Kween's 6.0's. :COP:

:lol: 6.00 would be like getting a 4.2-4.8 in the Kween's day. I don't know when she got a mark that low. When she was 12, she got a 4.9 in technical merit at US Nationals and placed 6th despite outskating at least a few of those above her; she completed more triples than the 2nd place finisher, Lisa Ervin. She probably would have gotten higher marks if she had been age eligible for Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htevMS0Vnyc

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

:rofl: Dying here. I was going to say comparing US ladies to Brezina is a little harsh, but both seem to have a penchant for finishing FORTH

Vagabond

Seriously a thread about Michelle Kwan that stands on it's own as a Michelle Kwan thread and hasn't become a Michelle Kwan thread on the basis of hijacking a thread that was totally unrelated to Michelle Kwan just so people could mention Michelle Kwan.

If you want, we could let the thread drift to some other, seemingly unrelated topic, like who will be Spain's second and third entries in the Men's competition at next year's Worlds. ;)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
If you want, we could let the thread drift to some other, seemingly unrelated topic, like who will be Spain's second and third entries in the Men's competition at next year's Worlds. ;)
Nah it would have to be a thread about how shit US ladies skating is because they haven't earnt the US 100,000 spots at next year's worlds.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Seriously a thread about Michelle Kwan that stands on it's own as a Michelle Kwan thread and hasn't become a Michelle Kwan thread on the basis of hijacking a thread that was totally unrelated to Michelle Kwan just so people could mention Michelle Kwan.

And then there is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwGZDfu-PZI

Purple
And then there's this at the 2004 Campbells competition.
Bolero!

Not too shabby, either! Kudos to the Kween!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information