Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Does anyone know what kind of visa/residence permit does/did Evgenia have to train/live in Canada? I don’t understand why it was impossible for her to go back to Canada once she was back in Russia in June... Everyone who has residence permits/long-term visas are allowed outside Russia to travel to those countries, there are even direct flights to the US. Travelling between Russia and the US was never closed...

I think Evgenia didn't want to fly back to Canada because of the mandatory quarantine. She didn't want to lose any ice time. Although if she just got it over with in early spring like Jason Brown I doubt she'd look any worse off by now.

As far as I understand, Canada closed it's borders and only residents can come now - it took Jason Brown two times to get there and he managed to cross the border on his car, not using the planes and without having to change flights and etc. Evgenia doesn't have a residence permit, so for her it would have been almost impossible... She probably could have made it as far as the airport in Toronto and just to be asked to fly back. Too risky.

I understand Jason was finally able to get across the border from the US to Canada because he was able to prove that he works in Canada. It may be that his being a US citizen helped with that "I work there" process, where Evgenia is Russian, and might face some additional hurdles on that. And yes, absolutely - while Jason driving to the Canadian border and being turned back is one thing, flying all the way from Russia to Canada and being turned back, I understand at your own expense, is quite another. It'd be risky for her to have flown to Canada without being sure she'd be allowed in.

Hindernisse

I understand Jason was finally able to get across the border from the US to Canada because he was able to prove that he works in Canada. It may be that his being a US citizen helped with that "I work there" process, where Evgenia is Russian, and might face some additional hurdles on that. And yes, absolutely - while Jason driving to the Canadian border and being turned back is one thing, flying all the way from Russia to Canada and being turned back, I understand at your own expense, is quite another. It'd be risky for her to have flown to Canada without being sure she'd be allowed in.

She could have contacted the Canadian Embassy in Russia and try getting an official derogation. If it was rejected, it is one thing. If she never tried, that’s another.

lala

During her stay in Canada she learned how to look after herself properly. With health, nutrition, rehab and she has also learned to be very independent there so I have trust in her to be the adult in the renewed relationship.Stay strong Zhenya.

Ok. All of these. But will she compete in this weekend?

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Channel 1 just announced that they will show the footage from today’s practice at 3pm news show. Time to turn the tv one for the first time in 6 months :lol:

The USA edition of Channel One already did...and all of this just in time for their (Ch1 television) big “Return to Figure Skating on TV” weekend (showing TV version of test skates, cup, Tarasova documentary & TV movie romance “Lyod”...”Ice”)...whee!

starrynight

Medvedeva lasted the longest of any skater with Sambo 70 and had the best overall results and consistency. She got 2 world titles and an Olympic silver and lasted until 18.

A lot of that I think is because Evgenia was extremely goal orientated - but when she saw that Sambo 70 priorities had shifted from her goals, she wasn't sticking around.

Who knows, if Medvedeva just views Sambo 70 as an ends to a means, and Sambo 70 give her the results she is looking for, maybe this will be successful. After all, this is the girl who chased ice into regional Japanese towns this year. Why should we be surprised that she's chased ice into Sambo 70 if the circumstances suit?

She doesn't seem too happy..Maybe I'm wrong but her smily is not real..

Everyone looks awkward except Eteri who is smiling like a cheshire cat

starrynight

Well how old was Elizabet T when she won World Silver? I think an adult, right?

19 I think.

But being an 'adult' is just as much a state of mind than a number.

I would describe an adult skater as being one who is sufficiently emotionally mature and developed to have adult independence and autonomy.

It's more about crossing that line to a point where training methods designed for children stop being useful.

:rofl: the only one in skates is Daniil...he'll be performing Kostornaya's old programmes for Med so she can memorise them :rofl:

Either that or the Algeria program needs more miming added.

barbarafan

Ok. All of this. But will she compete in this weekend?
Could be.. I suppose it depends upon her back. This time there will be no baggage to deal with. Brian loves all his students as if they are his children and he only wants what is the best thing for his students to go forward. His hands are tied in this matter as the government has to protect all against ******* and it is working but it will be slow and sure. I am sure he has told her how much he cares and that his phone and doors will always be open to her. He has her back.

DobrinFan

19 I think.

But being an 'adult' is just as much a state of mind than a number.

I would describe an adult skater as being one who is sufficiently emotionally mature and developed to have adult independence and autonomy.

It's more about crossing that line to a point where training methods designed for children stop being useful.

Well whatever they are doing works for Moris, now we'll see if it works for Evgenia, whatever the method.

kwanatic

OMG, this is so good it has to be fattening! :lol::lol::lol: It's like a great trashy tv show! So. Much. DRAMA!! :watch::watch::watch:

I never would have expected it given the way they left things but I guess it just goes to show that burned bridges can be reconstructed.

I feel like if we weren't in a pandemic and Evgenia was able to be in Canada training, this would not have happened. But with her stuck in Russia unable to return to TCC, she's losing time. Long distance training is one thing but this is long long distance, like other side of the world long distance. I'm sure they tried to make it work but Evgenia is clearly behind and needs a face-to-face coach. I'm shocked she didn't go for someone else given the way she and Eteri left things but I understand her motivation in returning. Love or hate her, Eteri is still a "hit maker" when it comes to skaters so I get why Evgenia would go back to what she knows.

I do agree that Evgenia has matured and grown a lot with Brian and TCC so it will be interesting to see what kind of working relationship she and Eteri will have. I'm doubtful it will be what it was. This is a great opportunity for Eteri to cement herself as a coach who can handle working with adults. Evgenia will be her oldest skater and, given that she's regressed since they last worked together, if Eteri can manage to get Evgenia back to the kind of consistency she had at her peak, or OMG got her beyond where she was...that would be pretty remarkable.

OTOH I don't really know what can be done with Evgenia in terms of making her competitive with Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Valieva and Trusova. With Eteri's political backing Evgenia will likely get (unwarranted) higher PCS which would probably place her in line with Kostornaia who earns the top PCS...but there's only so much she can do from a TES standpoint. A quad is possible but risky seeing as how Evgenia is dealing with chronic injuries. A 3A is out of the question as she's still struggling with her 2A... Does she actually have a shot at making it back to the Olympics? I don't think so...then again I never thought we'd see Eteri and Evgenia back together so needless to say stranger things have happened.

I wonder how Alina feels about this? I can't wait to watch this play out!

insideedgeua

Well, I for one am happy for Evgenia.

She’s been through a lot. She’s grown and developed independence and obviously feels like there is something that she still needs to achieve.

I’m as surprised as anyone though as it was only a few days ago that we saw her skate with Brian watching via iPhone.

Another crazy twist in the plot. I’m keen to see where this leads though.

NAOTMAA

Is this a joke? After all the drama I can't help put laugh

I guess she kind of pulled a Sasha Cohen. Left home to experience a new point of view and new things only to return home later.

DobrinFan

It's OFFICIAL, the Federation has posted the news on their website!!!

Medvedeva will train under the guidance of Eteri Tutberidze
16 September 2020

From September 16, figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva will continue her preparation for the season in Sambo 70 at the Khrustalny ice rink under the guidance of coach Eteri Tutberidze.

The coach and the athlete met and discussed further joint work aimed at preparing for this season. Between the athlete and the coach, there is complete mutual understanding. Brian Orser also understood the situation.

- I am very grateful to Brian for his understanding and the work done. We start training with Eteri Georgievna today. We will work and try to show the maximum possible result, - said Evgenia Medvedeva.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
:rofl: It's not just the "Medvedeva is evil" group who will have to reconcile their opinions. The "Eteri is evil and it's good that Janny escaped her evil clutches" group who have some rethinking to do as well.

I'm sitting here :rofl: at all the conflicting angst.

No, not at all, they will just "feel sorry for Janny" that she has to do this politically and professionally.

I believe this is a path to the Zagitova style "retirement" and I doubt we'll see Med at Nationals.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
During her stay in Canada she learned how to look after herself properly. With health, nutrition, rehab and she has also learned to be very independent there so I have trust in her to be the adult in the renewed relationship.Stay strong Zhenya.

This. Take good care of yourself, Janny, and sneak some food to Anna and Kamila and the rest as often as you can. Best case scenario, she can be a good role model for the others, showing them you don't have to starve yourself and to bow down every time Eteri screeches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information