Matti Nykänen has passed away

Finnice

There has been lots of mourning here in Finland. He was a great ski jumper, but had some difficult times afterwards, problems with alcohol, family violence etc.
But today he seems to be deeply loved by both Finnish people and ski jump fans everywhere. Lennä Nykäsen Matti...(the song about him...)

Finnice

According to a Finnish friend of mine, the Finnish government is considering a state funeral for Nykänen.
Yes, they are. I have mixed feelings about that. He really was a great athlete, but his life post sports was a mess.

We have a parlament election coming in two months, maybe someone at the goverment is fishing some votes.

Despite of all the controversy, I am sad that he died just when the life seemed a bit easier for him.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Well, he WAS one of the greatest sportsmen his country ever had. So he deserves some recognition for that and should be remembered for his achievements.
And since Finland thoroughly enjoyed following his life post-sports and still loved "their" Matti, I think it would be fine. He entertained the entire country by being in the yellow press almost constantly for 30+ years. I'd consider this a feat not everyone is able to achieve.

emason

With the exception of figure skating I am not a sports fan at all, but even I know who he was. Condolences to all who loved or admired him.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
There won't be a state funeral according to my Finnish friends. His family would rather have a small ceremony.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Matti's funeral took place earlier this month. Although he didn't get a state funeral, the Finnish government paid for the ceremony etc.
He is to be cremated and his urn to be placed next to his father's in Jyväskylä.

I watched the movie about him today and really enjoyed it. He was somewhat of a talented tragic clown.

40 days have passed since he left us. Farewell, Matti!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information