Maia Shibutani Surgery

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just came here to add my well-wishes and prayers for Maia. I'm so thankful that the prognosis was good and the tumor was successfully removed. Not needing any treatment for the time being is a positive sign.

May God bless you, Maia. Sending prayers your way for strength and healing. 💞💓

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Wishing Maia a speedy recovery

Thank god this was discovered early. Wishing Maia a speedy and full recovery.

When cancer is caught can make all the difference. My mother’s bowel cancer was caught very early. She recovered very quickly after surgery. My father on the other hand was the kind of character who wilfully ignored anything to do with his health. One of my worst memories is of going to see him after not having seen him in some time, and finding that he literally could not walk more than a few yards - a fact that he had ignored for several weeks. I literally had to order him to get into my car, and I drove him to hospital. Far far too late - he was dead within a couple of weeks. An autopsy revealed that it had started in the gall bladder and had spread. Had he listened to the early warnings signs (which I later discovered he had been well aware of from a year - 18 months before he died), he would probably still be alive now.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Wow, didnt realize we had posting rules about stuff like that on this forum. Is there a sticky somewhere?

The point is that this is a thread about Maia, not about Brady. There are no specific 'rules' about discussing one skater in another skater's thread, and thread drift happens all the time. But it just seems a bit discourteous, given that Maia is dealing with what could be a life or death crisis.

And just in case you didn't know, criticism of a skater is generally not welcome in 'Cheer' threads about that skater.

Last edited:

Kecasyl

^ Oh we said hi. She didn't want to do the meet and greet and pictures with the group number skaters. Jason Brown, on the other hand, was happy to stand and take pictures with anyone, not just the skaters in the show. In fact, years ago we ran into him at the airport after Skate America and he was lovely to my then 10 year old. Chatted to her for about 20 minutes about practice, etc.

Again, she is human and an introverted one at that. She may have been having a bad day or something and she's allowed to. Every time I've seen her interact with "group skaters" she's been fine and even did the q and a at SOI last spring and was decent.
If you don't like her that's fine, but you don't need to trash her on the board.

Not all skaters have the outgoing personality like Jason, he is a rarity. But most are nice and if you are kind and treat them with respect regardless, they will be more willing to be open and more outgoing with you.

Should have just stuck to saying your nice things towards Maia and left it at that.

Enough drift. Back to Maia please.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Send Maia your suggestions! :D ("... please share your favorite must-see movies from this year or any other year - I’ll check them out.")

ETA: The second photo of her IG post is the list of all the films she's watched this year... impressive!
I should start keeping track of the movies I watch like this. I watch tons of movies a year and this could be fun.

I am glad the prognosis for Maia is good. Wishing her good health from here on out.

scooter

"Should have just stuck to saying nice things about Maia and left it at that". I did NOT trash Bradie. I just told you what our experience has been with this skater in response TO YOU. Just checking ladies, this IS a figure skating forum where we discuss figure skaters right?

Last edited:

scooter

Yes, and I could see your initial post where, in a thread about Maia’s health, instead of just complimenting Maia, you decided to take an unnecessary and unprompted shot at Bradie, as if you couldn’t compliment Maia without taking the time to say something nasty about another young woman.

Just because we don’t have a rule that says you CAN’T behave like trash doesn’t mean no one will call you out if you choose to be rude and inappropriate
Seriously? Take your medication. Thank goodness for the ignore button. Feel free to use it.

Last edited:

Kecasyl

"Should have just stuck to saying nice things about Maia and left it at that". I did NOT trash Bradie. I just told you what our experience has been with this skater in response to another member. Just checking ladies, this IS a figure skating forum where we discuss figure skaters right?
Saying she was cold and didn't want to do anything like you ASSUMED, and didn't know for sure was just mean and unnecessary. And this wasn't even a topic about her, it was about Maia and her health.

Yes, we discuss figure skaters here but again let's be more classy about it.

scooter

And just in case you didn't know, criticism of a skater is generally not welcome in 'Cheer' threads about that skater.
When did Maia's diagnosis become a Bradie T Cheer Thread? In point of fact all I did was mention our experience in real life with Bradie in a truthful manner in passing, while saying a nice thing hoping for Maia. But shoot me now.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
When did Maia's diagnosis become a Bradie T Cheer Thread? In point of fact all I did was mention our experience in real life with Bradie in a truthful manner in passing, while saying a nice thing hoping for Maia. But shoot me now.

Again, this topic is done in this thread. I don't want to see any more about Bradie or your experience with her or any more responses to you about it.

Maia Shibutani, anyone?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Again, this topic is done in this thread. I don't want to see any more about Bradie or your experience with her or any more responses to you about it.

Maia Shibutani, anyone?

Thank you. I could not figure out why I was reading about other skaters in this thread.

My sister was over the other night. She doesn't know a lot about skating. We have had a great time watching Ted break it down after the skate.

I was talking about Maia having surgery. I played their "Fix You" It was - is totally gorgeous. So beautifully skated. Those twizzels (after explaining what a twizzel was)........They left an indelible mark on the sport.

Anita18

It depends!
When cancer is caught can make all the difference. My mother’s bowel cancer was caught very early. She recovered very quickly after surgery. My father on the other hand was the kind of character who wilfully ignored anything to do with his health. One of my worst memories is of going to see him after not having seen him in some time, and finding that he literally could not walk more than a few yards - a fact that he had ignored for several weeks. I literally had to order him to get into my car, and I drove him to hospital. Far far too late - he was dead within a couple of weeks. An autopsy revealed that it had started in the gall bladder and had spread. Had he listened to the early warnings signs (which I later discovered he had been well aware of from a year - 18 months before he died), he would probably still be alive now.
Same with my mom. She ignored her weight loss and weakness for maybe a year. She didn't tell anyone how bad it was getting, not even our dad. She always wore loose clothes, to hide how skinny she'd become. By the time she collapsed and was taken to the hospital, it was stage 4 stomach cancer already spread to her brain and liver. She died a week and a half after she was diagnosed.

I'm sorry you had that experience too @Maofan7. :fragile:

I'm SO glad that Maia's medical team caught it early! Sometimes it really is luck, that she was ill with something else and had it checked out. I hope she has a swift recovery.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Same with my mom. She ignored her weight loss and weakness for maybe a year. She didn't tell anyone how bad it was getting, not even our dad. She always wore loose clothes, to hide how skinny she'd become. By the time she collapsed and was taken to the hospital, it was stage 4 stomach cancer already spread to her brain and liver. She died a week and a half after she was diagnosed.

I sometimes wonder if it is a conscious choice not to seek medical help when she was clearly conscious enough that something was not right to try to hide it like that.

My father chose to not seek medical help, he weighed himself daily, so was fully conscious of his abnormal weight loss.
My mother chose to seek medical help, and had all of the intervention possible.

Having viewed both of their journeys, I would say my father's journey was the preferable one.
He stayed at home living a normal life, surrounded by loved ones, and just quietly slipped away.

Whereas my mother went to hell and back, in and out of hospital, suffering horrible side effects from the drugs that were supposed to be helping her. Her life was not extended by medical intervention and the quality of her last months was vastly inferior to that of my dads.

Consequently I can offer you some comfort @Anita18, that judging from personal experience, your mother's choice to live a normal life might well have been a good choice.

VGThuy

@Sylvia in the Shibs thread shared Maia’s latest IG post:

Maia's New Year's Day message (copied out below):

There was laughter, joy, struggle, fear, and through it all, I grew.
It was an incredible, gratifying, and terrifying year of my life - a beautiful year and decade with a complicated ending.
I wrote this at the end of 2018, and now it gives me comfort as I look ahead to 2020:
“While no year is complete without stress, struggle, doubt, loss, or challenges, it has been our ability to handle the adversity and push forward that defines us. If 2018 was a difficult year for you, remember this: ‘The sun must set to rise.’ Here’s to 2019. Keep dreaming!” A year later, and it’s all still true.
The sun must set to rise.
I am recovering, I am grateful, I am strong, and I will get through this.
As the sun sets on 2019, and rises in 2020, I’m still fueled by passion, pushed by desire, and inspired by the world.
I want to feel, share, create, inspire, and be my best self. And I wish the same for you.
Appreciate every moment - those wanted, and those not asked for.
Do good and do well. Give back and never give up.
Keep dreaming. I will.

It also has a 7+ minute video of her and Alex’s year in review with some never before seen footage. It sort of ends on a bittersweet note.

eusebius

Send Maia your suggestions! :D ("... please share your favorite must-see movies from this year or any other year - I’ll check them out.")

ETA: The second photo of her IG post is the list of all the films she's watched this year... impressive!

This is really cool. Way to go Maia! And this inspired me to seek out Steven Soderbergh's lists, which can be found on his appropriately titled "Soderblog". (Note: he includes on his 2018 list, from January 5: "US FEMALE FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS" :cheer2:

Also I would like to add my voice to the chorus of those wishing Maia long life and excellent health!

VGThuy

I don’t know if this is actually recent but a few hours ago, Kirk Myers of Dogpound Gym uploaded a video of Maia working out with Rupi Kauer. If it’s recent, then Maia looks great.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I don’t know if this is actually recent but a few hours ago, Kirk Myers of Dogpound Gym uploaded a video of Maia working out with Rupi Kauer. If it’s recent, then Maia looks great.

@VGThuy I recognize the same scene (both two ladies are in the same cloths but the clips are not actually the same) in the IG video (around 4:15 time mark) in #108 post. I wonder if it's not recent but she looks great anyway. Wishing her all the best for recovery & rehab.

DreamSkates

"Should have just stuck to saying nice things about Maia and left it at that". I did NOT trash Bradie. I just told you what our experience has been with this skater in response TO YOU. Just checking ladies, this IS a figure skating forum where we discuss figure skaters right?
Yes it is a forum with many THREADS, this one being about Maia. Just check the thread title before posting.

VGThuy

@VGThuy I recognize the same scene (both two ladies are in the same cloths but the clips are not actually the same) in the IG video (around 4:15 time mark) in #108 post. I wonder if it's not recent but she looks great anyway. Wishing her all the best for recovery & rehab.

I had a feeling that may be the case. I’m just worried. She and Alex haven’t really updated, which is unusual for them, and I’m clamoring for news. I guess I was being too optimistic.

VGThuy

Maia posted a small update saying she’s doing a little better and has been going on walks.

On her stories, it seems like she’s taking downtime to watch some films on The Criterion Collection :respec:.

JOHIO2

having had abdominal surgeries in the past, even the so-called band-aid/laproscopic type where they send you home the same or next day, means ya feel pain and soreness for weeks. So, Maia should be finally starting to feel better a month later. Glad she found out and took care of that mass and that she will recover fully.
I am all too familiar with living with a genetic issue. Mine is ADPKD, which is Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. It's taken a quarter of a century (since my diagnosis. 68 yrs of living!) for my genetics to finally send me to stage 5 and getting ready for dialysis is no fun. On the other hand, it has given me that long to wrap my head around the fact and get emotionally ready for it. Whatever genetic factor was involved with Maia's problem, she and her family, including brother Alex, now know what to look out for and what they need to do to stay healthy. I truly expect that we will hear much more when Maia is feeling better, physically and emotionally. She and Alex have been so active on multiple media in the past, that I am sure she will be updating us and educating us on what happened. When she is ready....Take your time to get well, Maia!

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Sunrise in LA, @alexshibutani carrying my stuff & making me smile, gloomy weather in Detroit, and sunset in Philadelphia. Today’s itinerary of 2 shorter flights vs. 1 direct flight wasn’t the most efficient travel day, but sometimes progress takes compromise.
Over the past 6 weeks, it’s felt like all I could do was react to things. Committing to this trip was intimidating, but having a goal helped me push through some hard times.
Recovery is ongoing, but that’s ok. Today feels like a win.

You got this! 💪💞

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information