Maia Shibutani Surgery

OlieRow

Yes, sounds like she went to the ED with what ultimately ended up being a stomach virus and as part of her work-up had a CT which revealed the renal mass. Hoping all ends up being benign and she has a speedy recovery.

Tinami Amori

In view of all the internet-gossips that take place (in ALL places, don't mean USA), i found this comment somewhat troubling.

"While this is deeply personal news, I don’t want rumors to spread, or for anyone to worry in case people say they saw me at the hospital."

A person in a critical condition needs to worry about "rumors not to spread, because someone sees her in a hospital"... not making public statements, not commenting on social media..... just laying in an emergency room, and has to worry about gossips.

love skating

Clueless American
@SLIVER I think the poster meant that the stomach virus ended up being a blessing because it led them to discover the mass.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The benign stomach virus led them to do an MRI which helped them catch the more dangerous mass hopefully at an early stage. So sorry if I worded that poorly. My gosh I would never make light of the possibility of cancer - cancer has sadly touched my family way too often - I've lost my father as well as many other close relatives to this horrid disease. I absolutely hate it and know the seriousness of it. I was being thankful that Maia got screened when she did. I'm thankful that my brother and aunt are cancer survivors cause they caught it early. I apologize again if my words did not come across correctly. I'm horrified that I was misunderstood. I think we are all supporting Maia and keeping her in our best thoughts.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I've had this surgery. She had a partial nepthrectomy, likely with the DaVinci robotic system (no open incisions) and would have gone home the next day. Recovery is rapid and relatively easy. She's certainly not the typical patient for this but according to my urologist, more young women are being diagnosed and they aren't certain why. But, catching it as an incidental finding (that's how mine was found as well) means it was caught early and the prognosis is good.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I've had this surgery. She had a partial nepthrectomy, likely with the DaVinci robotic system (no open incisions) and would have gone home the next day. Recovery is rapid and relatively easy. She's certainly not the typical patient for this but according to my urologist, more young women are being diagnosed and they aren't certain why. But, catching it as an incidental finding (that's how mine was found as well) means it was caught early and the prognosis is good.
DH also had a partial nephrectomy. The finding was oncocytoma which is probably what her doctor is thinking as the 40%.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!

I studied renal cell carcinoma for my Master’s - it has a relatively large age range but Maia would really be on the low end. 60’s is more the peak. So it’s interesting what your urologist said.

Here’s hoping that’s not what Maia has, and if so that it was indeed caught early enough (fortunately sounds like it). :( There’s been good advances treating RCC with immunotherapy, it’s developing resistance to treatment that’s the big problem.

sjs5572

I studied renal cell carcinoma for my Master’s - it has a relatively large age range but Maia would really be on the low end. 60’s is more the peak. So it’s interesting what your urologist said.

Here’s hoping that’s not what Maia has, and if so that it was indeed caught early enough (fortunately sounds like it). :( There’s been good advances treating RCC with immunotherapy, it’s developing resistance to treatment that’s the big problem.
My friend had renal cell carcinoma diagnosed when he had an MRI for an unrelated back problem. It was caught early and he is fine ten years later with no post-operative treatment. Stage 1 generally has a good prognosis.

Sylvia

TBD
Maia's update today (she ends: "... I’m grateful for all of the messages of encouragement - I feel very cared for and supported. This recovery will take time and I’m still waiting on news, but I’m determined to come back stronger.":

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Maia's update today (she ends: "... I’m grateful for all of the messages of encouragement - I feel very cared for and supported. This recovery will take time and I’m still waiting on news, but I’m determined to come back stronger.":
Go big brother Alex! Good brother.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
The bad news: Maia's pathology came back deficient renal cell carcinoma. The good news: her prognosis is good as this cancer rarely metastasizes and resection is the prescribed treatment, which has already been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information