Maia Shibutani Surgery

giselle23

The bad news: Maia's pathology came back deficient renal cell carcinoma. The good news: her prognosis is good as this cancer rarely metastasizes and resection is the prescribed treatment, which has already been done.

Sending best wishes to Maia for a full recovery. Scary that she has cancer but the outlook does look good. I am a cancer survivor who also received a good prognosis and I am still here!

scooter

She's a lovely person when you meet her. My kid did the SOI group number the last two years. There are some people (Maia, Jason B) who are SOOO nice and others that are stuck up and cold (I'm looking at you Bradie Tennell). I hope all the best for her recovery.

alexikeguchi

Even as an oncologist, I had never heard of SDH deficient renal cell CA until Maia's diagnosis. I just read up and saw that it was only first described in 2004 and accepted as a distinct subtype in 2016. It seems the good news on top of the early stage at which Maia's was detected and removed is that it is less aggressive than typical RCCs; however, the downside is that the vast majority reported are due to an inherited SDH deficiency which can predispose to other rare types of cancers. It sounds as if Maia's physicians had a good idea what they were looking at going in, so I'm sure she'll continue to get first class evaluation and surveillance. IIRC her father even worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for a while, so she is probably lined up with the world's leading experts. Still, this news has to be such an emotional blow, so adding my prayers for strength and continued healing.

dds262

And your point is....
Even as an oncologist, I had never heard of SDH deficient renal cell CA until Maia's diagnosis. I just read up and saw that it was only first described in 2004 and accepted as a distinct subtype in 2016. It seems the good news on top of the early stage at which Maia's was detected and removed is that it is less aggressive than typical RCCs; however, the downside is that the vast majority reported are due to an inherited SDH deficiency which can predispose to other rare types of cancers. It sounds as if Maia's physicians had a good idea what they were looking at going in, so I'm sure she'll continue to get first class evaluation and surveillance. IIRC her father even worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for a while, so she is probably lined up with the world's leading experts. Still, this news has to be such an emotional blow, so adding my prayers for strength and continued healing.

awful to be diagnosed with a disease that has so little history and data.....awful for a young person to be carrying the burden of cancer around. Great to have first class care and monitoring, and a supportive family. Praying for strength and emotional peace for her.

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm glad that Maya's prognosis is good and wish her all the best in her recovery. She's unlucky to have had a malignant tumor at such a young age, but very fortunate to have a loving and supportive family to help her through all this.

For anyone here who has had several family members diagnosed with cancer, especially if it was similar cancers and/or at a young age - please consider genetic counseling. If there's an underlying issue causing this, you need to know about it sooner rather than later.

cgh_11

For anyone here who has had several family members diagnosed with cancer, especially if it was similar cancers and/or at a young age - please consider genetic counseling. If there's an underlying issue causing this, you need to know about it sooner rather than later.
I second this comment. After losing her mother in her 60s, my mom was diagnosed with 3C ovarian cancer at 68. I have since been tested and at the age of 47 now know that I have 2 mutations that put me at an extremely high risk for cancer (85% lifetime risk of breast cancer). I will go ahead with multiple 'preventative' surgeries in the coming months and now live with the knowledge that each of my children has a 50% chance of inheriting these mutations which is very difficult to live with, but at least I can try to do something so that I can be here to raise my kids and when they reach their adult years they will have the knowledge to make informed decisions.

euterpe

My husband died of what was probably kidney cancer. He had Lynch syndrome, a genetic mutation that predisposes those who carry it to many types of cancer, including colon, kidney, uterine, ovarian and pancreatic. His father died of cancer, as did his aunt, several cousins, and a sister (who had multiple types, including thyroid, colon and uterine; she survived over 30 years until she finally succumbed to pancreatic cancer). His younger sister was diagnosed with kidney cancer 15 years ago, and had one kidney removed, but is OK today.

My older daughter has inherited the gene and had a complete hysterectomy and has to be checked annually for colon cancer. My younger daughter doesn't have the gene. My son has steadfastly refused to take the genetic test.

Messalina

Passing a violinist playing "Fix You" at a pedestrian mall, I had a visceral reaction and then immediately teared up thinking about Maia. I'm so glad her condition was discovered and treated early and hope she has a speedy recovery and can return to the ice when she wants to.

Heartfelt best wishes to @cgh_11 and @euterpe and your families. It's awful not just living through this kind of thing, but also having to worry about your children going through it. We want to spare them so much in life and feel so helpless when we can't. I struggle with the knowledge that it's good to be informed early but also totally understand a young person not wanting to do the genetic testing. It's hard to live with a Damocles' sword. I wish for the best possible outcome for everyone facing cancer in its many manifestations.

Kecasyl

She's a lovely person when you meet her. My kid did the SOI group number the last two years. There are some people (Maia, Jason B) who are SOOO nice and others that are stuck up and cold (I'm looking at you Bradie Tennell). I hope all the best for her recovery.

If you say hi to Bradie and put yourself out there to talk to her and understand that she is still pretty shy and awkward you would see that she opens up and is a very nice person.

scooter

^ Oh we said hi. She didn't want to do the meet and greet and pictures with the group number skaters. Jason Brown, on the other hand, was happy to stand and take pictures with anyone, not just the skaters in the show. In fact, years ago we ran into him at the airport after Skate America and he was lovely to my then 10 year old. Chatted to her for about 20 minutes about practice, etc.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
^ Oh we said hi. She didn't want to do the meet and greet and pictures with the group number skaters. Jason Brown, on the other hand, was happy to stand and take pictures with anyone, not just the skaters in the show. In fact, years ago we ran into him at the airport after Skate America and he was lovely to my then 10 year old. Chatted to her for about 20 minutes about practice, etc.

And you felt that this, of all threads, was an appropriate thread to post your complaints about Bradie’s personality?

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

You know what - not the place nor the time to discuss Bradie's shortcomings. Take a second to think before you post.

scooter

Wow, didnt realize we had posting rules about stuff like that on this forum. Is there a sticky somewhere? PerkyShaeLynn, It's fairly rude for you to tell another poster to think before they post. And Theatergirl1122, as you can see I was replying to the prior post. Whatever.

I'll say it again, I wish all the best for Maia and I sincerely hope that she has no further health issues. They live in the next town over and used to practice at our home rink often. A very nice, hardworking family all the way around and I hope that both kids are healthy for a very long time (like 90 years).

Sylvia

TBD
Send Maia your suggestions! :D ("... please share your favorite must-see movies from this year or any other year - I’ll check them out.")

ETA: The second photo of her IG post is the list of all the films she's watched this year... impressive!

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Wow, didnt realize we had posting rules about stuff like that on this forum. Is there a sticky somewhere? PerkyShaeLynn, It's fairly rude for you to tell another poster to think before they post. And Theatergirl1122, as you can see I was replying to the prior post.

Yes, and I could see your initial post where, in a thread about Maia’s health, instead of just complimenting Maia, you decided to take an unnecessary and unprompted shot at Bradie, as if you couldn’t compliment Maia without taking the time to say something nasty about another young woman.

Just because we don’t have a rule that says you CAN’T behave like trash doesn’t mean no one will call you out if you choose to be rude and inappropriate

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information