Magnitude 6.4 Earthquake Rattles Southern California

skatesindreams

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Man...watching this on the news. My family is ok. The 6.6 1994 Northridge Earthquake (I was living in Northridge at the time) caused billions of dollars worth of damage and dozens of lives (including the mother of one of my friends) There are power lines down (causing fires) rocks strewn around on the roads. They are expecting a 5.0 aftershock with in the next day or so. The aftershocks are typical with earthquakes but really scary.

love skating

Clueless American
It was pretty big. Felt like a rolling earthquake, not a jolt and it lasted a good long time. I could see my tree outside shaking back and forth, as well as my hanging lamps but nothing fell down in my house. I was surprised when I heard how far away it was which told me just how big an earthquake it was. So far I have seen the usual coverage of things falling off shelves and cracks in the road over there but haven't heard of any severe injuries so I hope it stays that way and hope everyone is safe!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I kept expecting it to get stronger and stronger, the Big One we've feared about. Hope everyone near Ridgecrest is safe.

Susan1

I cannot imagine living in California and waiting for "the big one". There was a ~5.0 in Evansville, Indiana in 2008 and it woke me up in Miamisburg, Ohio (almost 300 miles away). Felt the aftershock too, 5 hours later. Hope everybody is safe.

Peaches LaTour

I was in Northridge, too. Really scary. I wouldn't want to experience anything stronger.

They are saying this was a "pre-quake"? I never heard that term before during the entire 20 years I lived in Southern California, despite the numerous quakes we had.

Right now I live in the Pacific North West which is prime for "A Big One". People here are totally not ready for it.

Japanfan

Right now I live in the Pacific North West which is prime for "A Big One". People here are totally not ready for it.

I'm in the PNW, and yes, totally not ready for the 'Big One'. But I'm glad we don't live in a high rise, or in an area full of high rises.

Peaches LaTour

I'm in the PNW, and yes, totally not ready for the 'Big One'. But I'm glad we don't live in a high rise, or in an area full of high rises.

They are predicting a tsunami equal to the one in Japan a few years ago if the Cascadia Seduction Fault line ruptures. Hope you don't live near the coast.

Josh78

I cannot imagine living in California and waiting for "the big one". There was a ~5.0 in Evansville, Indiana in 2008 and it woke me up in Miamisburg, Ohio (almost 300 miles away). Felt the aftershock too, 5 hours later. Hope everybody is safe.

I remember feeling both of those (the first one woke me up in the middle of the night and the second one I was completely conditioned for because I was home alone without any other distractions that morning and remember feeling what I thought was a sonic boom -- or dynamite blast from a quarry a few miles away that we're used to feeling booms from -- but then feeling the shaking just seconds later -- and I'm roughly the same distance in the opposite direction). Growing up in the New Madrid Fault zone here in Missouri we had earthquake drills and were conditioned to be aware, but I couldn't imagine experiencing one in a place more known for them!

AxelAnnie

I was in Northridge, too. Really scary. I wouldn't want to experience anything stronger.

They are saying this was a "pre-quake"? I never heard that term before during the entire 20 years I lived in Southern California, despite the numerous quakes we had.

I listened to the people from the USGS. Part of what they are saying is that with improved technology they have added to their ability to observe and predict. OTOH they were defending their Earthquake Alert System, that did not get triggered. This part was all over my head..........something about how deep the actual quake was (10 miles) how it moved to the surface, did it break the surface, was it a shift/slide. In the middle of the Northridge Quake, I actually had the thought that I would look out my window and see San Francisco.......thinking the earth moved that much.

The USGS said they can predict where, but not when. Not exactly helpful.

Peaches LaTour

I thought our apartment building would come down in Northridge. I lived in downtown Ventura at the time. That one really scared me.

Apparently this quake was only a 4.5 in L.A., but it ruptured water mains there which seems a bit odd to me that a movement that small could do that kind of damage.

I thought it was only in L.A., itself that they failed to trigger the alert because they thought it would not be that strong there?

I am wondering how far this fault line was from the San Andreas. I am thinking the San Andreas is about 20 miles West of Bakersfield? Apparently no horizontal connection between the two, thank goodness.

Susan1

I remember feeling both of those (the first one woke me up in the middle of the night and the second one I was completely conditioned for because I was home alone without any other distractions that morning and remember feeling what I thought was a sonic boom -- or dynamite blast from a quarry a few miles away that we're used to feeling booms from -- but then feeling the shaking just seconds later -- and I'm roughly the same distance in the opposite direction). Growing up in the New Madrid Fault zone here in Missouri we had earthquake drills and were conditioned to be aware, but I couldn't imagine experiencing one in a place more known for them!
Yeah, it was ~5:30 a.m. here. The drawer pulls on my dresser rattling woke me up! I think this house must be on an Ohio fault line. I've felt four here. In 1980, there was an earthquake near Maysville, KY (~100 miles) that we felt here. I was sitting on the couch and it started shaking. Oscar (dachshund) was running around barking and my dad went out to the garage cause he thought the garage door fell off or something it was so loud. I don't even remember where the other two's epicenters were in the last 10 years, but what I was sitting on shook. And I've never felt one in any other house or apartment I've lived in.

AxelAnnie

Yep - 7.1 in Ridgecrest. Can see it shaking in Hollywood. Luckily it is in a pretty isolated part of California. They are now saying that the 6.4 is a foreshock to this one,.....which is now the main shock.

China Lake Air Force Base was closed after yesterday's. They are trying to get people in there to assess the damage.

IceSlider

We've been watching this unfold from the UK, please stay safe, especially with the aftershocks. Best wishes all in CA.

Josh78

I don't even remember where the other two's epicenters were in the last 10 years, but what I was sitting on shook.

If I remember correctly (and time makes it fuzzy for sure), both epicenters were in southeastern Illinois along the Wabash River (which flows on the border of Illinois and Indiana before emptying into the Ohio River) on the Wabash Fault, which is a northern extension of the New Madrid Fault Zone...

Susan1

If I remember correctly (and time makes it fuzzy for sure), both epicenters were in southeastern Illinois along the Wabash River (which flows on the border of Illinois and Indiana before emptying into the Ohio River) on the Wabash Fault, which is a northern extension of the New Madrid Fault Zone...
I was the only one of anyone I knew in the area who felt them. I'd have to go back through my old emails to see when they were. The one on a Saturday morning, I was sitting finishing the last chapter of a book before I took them back to the library. I wouldn't have been sitting there otherwise. I emailed the local t.v. station asking if it was an earthquake. They hadn't heard anything, but called me back a couple hours later and asked if i would be interviewed. I said no, it wasn't that big a deal, and told the reading story and just that the love seat bounced a couple times and the picture window next to me rattled - no thunderstorms in the area. On the news later they mentioned that a few people around the area felt it.

On our local news last night, they said that there is a "Seismic Zone" in Anna, Ohio, where they have felt more earthquakes from other places than anywhere else in Ohio, and had some big ones way, way back. It happens to be about 100 miles directly north of here. There must be something attached underground to this house! ha ha Earthquakes - not funny. Tornadoes and blizzards are bad enough.

Susan1

I was the only one of anyone I knew in the area who felt them. I'd have to go back through my old emails to see when they were. The one on a Saturday morning, I was sitting finishing the last chapter of a book before I took them back to the library. I wouldn't have been sitting there otherwise. I emailed the local t.v. station asking if it was an earthquake. They hadn't heard anything, but called me back a couple hours later and asked if i would be interviewed. I said no, it wasn't that big a deal, and told the reading story and just that the love seat bounced a couple times and the picture window next to me rattled - no thunderstorms in the area. On the news later they mentioned that a few people around the area felt it.

On our local news last night, they said that there is a "Seismic Zone" in Anna, Ohio, where they have felt more earthquakes from other places than anywhere else in Ohio, and had some big ones way, way back. It happens to be about 100 miles directly north of here. There must be something attached underground to this house! ha ha Earthquakes - not funny. Tornadoes and blizzards are bad enough.

I actually checked my old Outlook emails for the subject "earthquake" and then found the details online.

12/30/10
A 4.2 magnitude earthquake rattled residents in north central Indiana Thursday morning.

The US Geological Survey confirmed that the quake struck just before 7 a.m. Evansville time, five miles southeast of Greentown (46 miles NNE of Indianapolis).

11/10/12
A 4.3-magnitude earthquake, which is not generally considered a strong earthquake, struck in eastern Kentucky just after noon today local time (November 11, 2013). The quake struck eight miles west of Whitesburg, Kentucky, at 12:08 p.m. EST (17:08 UTC). The shallow epicenter – only 0.7 miles deep – was under the Appalachian Mountains town of Blackey, near the Virginia border. There were no immediate reports of damage in the eastern Kentucky area. A U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist told NBC News that the tremor was felt from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Atlanta, Georgia.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They talk about it every time there is a quake. Is this the biggest one in the series with some aftershocks expected but not as strong, or the pre-quake to a bigger one.

This is the first time I remember it actually being a pre-quake though. :D

Apparently you could even feel it up here in NorCal but I never feel them until they are 5.5 or bigger and it wasn't that big up here. In fact for the second one, I was at a restaurant where someone got a notice on his phone right after and none of us felt it.

My kid in LA felt them both of course.

Japanfan

They are predicting a tsunami equal to the one in Japan a few years ago if the Cascadia Seduction Fault line ruptures. Hope you don't live near the coast.

Right on the coast. :(

Though fortunately not in a high-rise, but in a one-story house. And not in an area of high-rises.

The earthquake question is not one of if, but rather of when. But I think most people here do not have an earthquake preparedness kit.

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

Right on the coast. :(

Though fortunately not in a high-rise, but in a one-story house. And not in an area of high-rises.

The earthquake question is not one of if, but rather of when. But I think most people here do not have an earthquake preparedness kit.

Are you built on reclaimed land?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information