Madonna - Is it the end?

Husky

Didn't see the Eurovision song contest. But read the acid headlines in the newspapers.
They say she ruined her career. She couldn't sing, couldn't dance, was wearing a ridiculous costume, and sent out a weird message in Israel.

The truth is: she could never sing. Her costumes were always ridiculous and her messages weird. At least she could dance in former times.
So, why should THIS finally ruin her career?

Or are people just tired of the phenomenon, called "Madonna"? I mean, for a woman she held the title as the queen of pop for a really long time. Maybe the young generation can't connect to her songs and performances anymore.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Am not the younger generation and never liker her performances. I did, however, like her songs.
Either she could sing once or she had some really good sound people around her to correct it. Beats me why couldn't she just lipsing yesterday.
Obviously it's not the end, since she has shows scheduled in NY and somewhere else, if I recall correctly and people are queuing to buy the tickets. The show `Madonna' will go on. Hopefully with no live singing.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Madonna is already in the category of stars whose existing fans will still come see them (for lots of $$$) in droves but are no longer relevant to current music charts. This isn't likely to alienate her core base, who comes for the spectacle more than the live singing anyway.

MsZem

I see the sea
Madonna is younger than me but part of being a star is knowing when to retire.

But I saw a clip of 75-year-old Mick Jagger rehearsing for the upcoming tour and OMG does he have the moves. He’s not human.
The thing that gets to me is not his age so much as that Mick is a great-grandfather. Now that's just weird.

Know when to retire is something more performers (and skaters) should keep in mind. Look at Leonora! Didn't qualify out of the SP at Junior Worlds, switched to singing and made it to the Grand Final. And she did better than Madonna on the night ;)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The thing that gets to me is not his age so much as that Mick is a great-grandfather. Now that's just weird.

Know when to retire is something more performers (and skaters) should keep in mind. Look at Leonora! Didn't qualify out of the SP at Junior Worlds, switched to singing and made it to the Grand Final. And she did better than Madonna on the night ;)

Wait. The Danish girl was really a skater?

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I youtubed it to see the disaster, but really, that's how she's always sung. Her voice has almost always been altered in her albums. Her first album she had her voice sped up (think Lucky Star). Madonna will still have longtime fans who will go see her, much like Barbra Streisand whose voice is not really there anymore either.

Finnice

I have never been a fan of Madonna's music, but I do appreciate her as a messenger of women's rights and as a role model.
But the role model ceased quite a lot with this cosmetic surgery. I DO strongly believe in woman's right to decide what is done to her body. Cosmetic surgeries as abortion.

But yesterday it was just confusing.

Last edited:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I have never been a fan of Madonna's music, but I do appreciate her as a messenger of women's right and as a role model.
But the role model ceased quite a lot with this cosmetic surgery. I DO strongly believe in woman's right to decide what is done to her body. Cosmetic surgeries as abortion.

But yesterday it was just confusing.

She's a year older than me, so it was confusing for me to see her face compared to mine, though the neck never lies!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I haven't seen her after the surgery but I have always liked her music. There is a reason that she sold lots of albums. We all age & get to the point where we can't do things we could do when young but there's no reason to act like she never had a voice. Maybe she doesn't have relevance to young people but that doesn't mean that she never did. And just like we say about skaters, they should skate as long as they want to. Madonna should sing as long as there are people who want to hear her.

manhn

If I stopped supporting skaters after a bad performance, I would have no one to support. I can't see anyone who is still a fan of Madonna stopping to be a fan because of the show. But she certainly didn't gain any new fans either.

Anyways, I am no longer in the young demo, but I don't see the vocal talent of Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Halsey and other current pop stars. I like their songs, at least some of them, but I don't see them any more talented vocally than a young Madonna.

I thought she was fine at The Billboard Awards a few weeks back, although upstaged by Paula and Mariah. Madonna is still chasing trends, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed her new music. But her old work still stands up.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Her old music makes up a quarter of my favorite workout playlist. But even then she had great producers and a lot of chutzpah.

Taylor Swift has a just-decent voice but shines as a songwriter. Some of her songs, like All Too Well and Mean, catapult me back to the teenager I once was. Grande has a good voice, I think. Katy Perry can sing but she’s so damn obnoxious. Of all the current women, P!nk is far and away my favorite.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I've heard Grande live & I thought she sucked without all the studio help. I like Pink too but also Jessie J & Megan Traynor.

BittyBug

Disgusted
https://youtu.be/iYtKXeRsJdM?t=331

If you're going to put yourself on stage like this at this age, you need to make sure that you are killing it. If this was Tina Turner, she'd be nailing it. Unfortunately, this is just no a good performance.

I love Madonna, but she's trying to win the battle against time and no one can win that one. The fillers, the desperate attempt to remain relevant - it's like trying to swim against the tide. There is grace in letting go. Maybe she should think about that.

watchthis!!

https://youtu.be/iYtKXeRsJdM?t=331

I love Madonna, but she's trying to win the battle against time and no one can win that one. The fillers, the desperate attempt to remain relevant - it's like trying to swim against the tide. There is grace in letting go. Maybe she should think about that.

But Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney and Elton John get a free pass? Which female singers over the age of 60 have you deigned fit to be able to leave her home?

BittyBug

Disgusted
But Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney and Elton John get a free pass? Which female singers over the age of 60 have you deigned fit to be able to leave her home?
Well I obviously struck a nerve with you, but I'm not sure why you seem to think that in order to criticize Madonna I need to criticize others as well, male or female. Madonna can do whatever the hell she pleases, including leaving her house looking like a claymation figurine, and I can criticize her for trying to cling to a youth and talent long gone, and you can like it or not. :rolleyes:

Miezekatze

I youtubed it to see the disaster, but really, that's how she's always sung. Her voice has almost always been altered in her albums. Her first album she had her voice sped up (think Lucky Star). Madonna will still have longtime fans who will go see her, much like Barbra Streisand whose voice is not really there anymore either.

Yeah, I watched the ESC, thougth I was going to die of boredom while waiting for Madonna and the points (when did they start having all those interviews and guest performers) , wathced the performance, found it quite nice (I did prefer the Billboard one, which seemed more motivated and I could have done without the Like a Prayer part, which was just a copy from the MET gala 2018, but apart from that I think it was totally ok.

As for the vocals, as a longtime Madonna fan, I watched the performance and thought she sounded about exactly the same as she always did (even though she DID have some good live vocal moments over the decades, mostly IMO when she sang acoustic ballads on tour, her live vocals always were rather erratic, ranging from bad to "ok" to "surprisingly good"). Probably it was not a good idea to sing live at an event like this when only singing 2 songs, but oh well. I was very irritated by the reactions the next day. Maybe it's quite an achievement that all the press and public seems to have forgotten that singing live was never her strength :lol:

As for Barbra Streisand, I watched her concert from 2016 on Netflix and while I thought that she sounded rather "rusty" during the first 30 minutes of the concert, but then her voice got stronger and I found the rest of the concert very impressive. I assume older voices might need more "warming up" time. And I think if you are a fan of someone for decades and you still want to see him, you're going to have realistic expectations, no matter if it's Barbra or Guns N Roses (who also were trashed badly for their concerts in the German media last year) or Elton John or whoever.

I think it seems that "legends" seem to be met with a bit unfair expectations.
I watched Taylor Swifts stadium tour on Netflix too and IMO she dances very little (and not very good) and her voice also often didn't sound all that great on a lot of parts of the tour, but she's generally a rather good live singer I think and she's at the top of her game age-wise. I did not think that Madonnas performances were that much worse than what I've seen from Taylor and it seems a bit unfair that people seem to expect that she's going to be some "legend" that's greater than everybody else, just because she's had this big career that most people are never going to have in the first place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information