Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

VGThuy

After reading the few critiques out there, I've come to the conclusion that anybody who thinks Nomadland is disingenuous is just projecting their own feelings and politics onto the film and are more angry that the film doesn't take a strong enough stance regarding why the characters are where they are. That's fine, but it's not "disingenuous". The movie is full of actual people living this nomadic lifestyle in the United States, and even though they were playing fictional versions of themselves, they were basically telling their stories. It's one of the most authentic movies to come out outside of documentaries, and Zhao allows them to just speak their truths. There was plenty of criticisms of the current work culture, capitalism, and work-to-death norm from the characters themselves. It may not have been a Bernie Sanders speech, but it was there. Just because it didn't take an overly grim or critical tone of America and decided to show a balanced portrayal of people who really love that lifestyle and make it seem not to be as bad as it seems on the onset, doesn't mean there was nothing of substance to gain from this film nor did it mean it was absent of commentary or observation. It was very subtle and Zhao knows better than to input her own coloring of other people's stories and interpretations of how their lives ended up.

mjb52

Well this is raising my curiosity about Nomadland! The movie I'm talking about is Vagabond, by Agnes Varda, and it is very very bleak. But I loved it.

jenny12

We watched Jack Synder's Justice League and it was better than the original but I thought the original was pretty stupid so it's a low bar. The best thing I can say about it is that it only felt like 3 hours instead of 4. (But we did stop it twice to do things like let the dog out and pee.)

Agreed. I watched it out of curiosity and felt it was a real slog to get through. In general I’m not a fan of Zack Snyder as a director. He just doesn’t know how to pace a movie and make you feel connected to the characters. He has a specific style so I’ll give him that but he usually fails in terms of the construction of his films.

LeafOnTheWind

1. I missed the words 'in theaters' so I was trying to figure out how they proved the world record.
  2. That's a lot of money to spend in theaters
  3. I don't understand why some things even need to be a record
  4. People have strange hobbies

I'm pretty sure that I/my kids have watched Frozen 2 at least that many times. Give them a couple more months and we'll be getting up there with Raya and the Last Dragon (to it's credit I'm not completely sick of it yet!). A couple of times now they've watched it once with me and then again the same day with daddy or grandpa when I'm at work :lol:

vgerdes

I'm pretty sure that I/my kids have watched Frozen 2 at least that many times. Give them a couple more months and we'll be getting up there with Raya and the Last Dragon (to it's credit I'm not completely sick of it yet!). A couple of times now they've watched it once with me and then again the same day with daddy or grandpa when I'm at work :lol:
There are movies I've seen that many times. Just not in theaters. Cost prohibitive, IMO.

PeterG

Five Dances is a gay romance dance film. Some would say it is short on plot and just threw in a bit of a storyline with lots of dance routines, but I would disagree. I liked that the story had a slow ease to it, although the straight people subplot was a bit thorny. The performances are calm and understated, but not unpowerful. I enjoyed the sweet story and I loved the beautiful dance scenes even more.

@Artistic Skaters
@cocotaffy
@kwanfan1818

^ ^ ^ Those who have mentioned before that they like dance films. :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Finally watched 'Beanpole' (Russia). It was sitting on my table just because it was 2 hours and 17 minutes long. Also The background (post WWII Leningrad) pretty much told me that it would be yet another Russian movie that makes you feel hopeless. So I was not too excited about watching this but the reviews were so good that I didn't want to miss it. Like those hopeless Russian movies, this is also well done. Excellent acting, cinematography, direction. Unpredictable and constantly evolving.

I read that the director was just 28 years old and the two main actresses were acting in their first film. The movie slowly unfolds from a hospital scene into the lives of the various characters associated with it. There is a lot going on. Women and soldiers dealing with PTSD make it hard to watch at times. Once again we are reminded of what war does to people. The slowness didn't bother me because something was always happening.

The reviews on Netflix are mixed. Many 5 stars and many 2 stars. I would give it 4/5. If I watch it again, that may improve. There is a lot to absorb in one viewing, but I have no desire to see it again. It is emotionally draining.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So since we're in a new year, do we need a new thread or just a title change for this one?

PeterG

Secretariat is a wonderful movie. It came out in 2010 and has a fantastic cast: Diane Lane, John Malkovich, Margo Martindale, Nelsan Ellis (True Blood), Scott Glenn, Kevin Connolly, AJ Michalka (of AJ and Aly game), Dylan Baker and James Cromwell. But the movie is Lane's. (Although Secretariat is quite the star as well. :D)

The tone of the movie has a nice calmness to it, even though pretty much every part of the movie is Lane's character having to overcome obstacle after obstacle. Lane really centers the movie in a warm, yet strong performance. The movie builds nicely as well, as a movie like this should. Two thumbs up for sure. :)

Secretariat movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKmuvjL2cVw

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Haven't posted here for quite a while because have been very busy. But I have been going back into the vault with movies lately. I find the history of movies very interesting, particularly when it comes to genres. The quality of the movies may not be that great, but what they contributed to working against stereotypes is really fascinating. Particularly when it comes to women.

My most recent film was a 1973 Blaxploitation movie called Coffy starring Pam Grier. Her character plays a nurse who is out for revenge against the guys who gave drugs to her sister - all of them. She absolutely kicks arse. It is really groundbreaking for having a black woman being the star of an action movie. Some of the dialogue is a bit stilted and maybe not the best direction but it had a strong storyline and Pam Grier was really good in the title role. And what is very interesting some of the music soundtrack was used by Tarantino in Jackie Brown. Some of the songs were pretty corny but other parts of the soundtrack were very cool. Now looking out for some other Pam Grier movies. Started watching Sheba Baby on Youtube - yet to finish that one.

Apart from that I had friends over the other night and we watched A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger. I had never seen it but thoroughly enjoyed it. Such good fun. Absolutely threw period authenticity out the window and did not take itself seriously at all. Looked like the cast had fun making it and it showed.

vgerdes

Apart from that I had friends over the other night and we watched A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger. I had never seen it but thoroughly enjoyed it. Such good fun. Absolutely threw period authenticity out the window and did not take itself seriously at all. Looked like the cast had fun making it and it showed.
I loved A Knight's Tale. It was so very, very different from anything else that I had seen. Pure escapism. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Secretariat is a wonderful movie. It came out in 2010 and has a fantastic cast: Diane Lane, John Malkovich, Margo Martindale, Nelsan Ellis (True Blood), Scott Glenn, Kevin Connolly, AJ Michalka (of AJ and Aly game), Dylan Baker and James Cromwell. But the movie is Lane's. (Although Secretariat is quite the star as well. :D)

The tone of the movie has a nice calmness to it, even though pretty much every part of the movie is Lane's character having to overcome obstacle after obstacle. Lane really centers the movie in a warm, yet strong performance. The movie builds nicely as well, as a movie like this should. Two thumbs up for sure. :)

Secretariat movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKmuvjL2cVw
I really enjoyed this movie.

clairecloutier

So I had never heard of Mad Max Fury Road, but my husband and I watched it recently because we had HBOMax. Afterward I said to him, "I think that may be one of the best pure action movies I've ever seen." And then I looked it up online and found out that many action movie directors are apparently obsessed with it! :lol: (My husband actually didn't like it quite as much as I did.)

I think my favorite part was the near-continuous action with the truck. And also that we weren't subjected to long self-aggrandizing monologues from the villain. (I have grown enormously tired of the latter trope in action movies.) I also liked that Charlize Theron was so kick-ass, but not in a show-offy way, and also that there was no romance between her and Tom Hardy.

PeterG

Two movies, one which made me seek out another.

Odd Thomas is a 2013 "supernatural mystery thriller" based on the first of a Dean Koontz book series. Anton Yelchin stars as Odd (that's really his first name) who is able to see the dead. When his town is threatened by nasty dead entities, he must try to save his town without those entities gaining awareness of his ability to see them. The movie is entertaining enough, thanks to the performances of the cast. I would recommend it mainly if you are a fan of Yelchin. Co-starring is Willem Dafoe (fairly thankless role) and Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle, A Wrinkle In Time) and Patton Oswalt in tiny roles.

Love, Antosha is the second movie, which is about the life of Anton Yelchin, who was killed in a freak vehicle accident at the age of 27. He had a VERY loving family, his parents have been mentioned on FSU before, I'll include a quote from wikipedia for those who might not know of them: "Irina Korina and Viktor Yelchin, were pair figure skaters who were stars of the Leningrad Ice Ballet for 15 years".

The love he had for his parents is highlighted in this documentary and this movie might be the first time it became public knowledge that he was born with (and struggled throughout his life with) cystic fibrosis. Also surprising was learning about his interest in the alternative lifestyles community, which the movie doesn't state whether he became active within the community or was just fascinated by it and wanted to learn more about people different from himself. The movie has interviews from Jennifer Lawrence, Kristen Stewart, John Cho, Jodie Foster, Chris Pine, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zoe Saldana and many others. I recommend this one, much more than Odd Thomas, but probably only if you enjoyed any of Yelchin's movies and would like to know more about him - and witness how loving a family unit can be.

Trailer for Odd Thomas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbHQ_Rk-T1Q

Trailer for Love, Antosha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzrFqZcosI0

PeterG

Spaceship Earth is a 2020 documentary which I highly recommend. I just typed up what the movie is all about...then deleted it all. :lol: But in case you decide to see it, I don’t want to spoil it. So…what if a group of people who met in the late 60’s ended up in the 90’s and were so concerned over the years about the environmental future of the planet, that they decided to create an enclosed replica of plant earth, in which no one would leave for two years? To see if this would be sustainable for recreation on other planets? Would this project succeed? Might anything not work out as planned?

Trailer for Spaceship Earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JOwk2iD80M

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched Wild Mountain Thyme on dvd. So so story but gorgeous scenes of Ireland. I have never been there but I hope to visit some day. Emily Blunt was pretty good in the lead role. Good cast- Christopher Walken in the father's role. Jamie Dornan (Fifty shades) is the male lead. I watched it twice because I didn't quite get it the first time. The accent was not a problem for me.

So I had never heard of Mad Max Fury Road, but my husband and I watched it recently because we had HBOMax. Afterward I said to him, "I think that may be one of the best pure action movies I've ever seen." And then I looked it up online and found out that many action movie directors are apparently obsessed with it! :lol: (My husband actually didn't like it quite as much as I did.)

I think my favorite part was the near-continuous action with the truck. And also that we weren't subjected to long self-aggrandizing monologues from the villain. (I have grown enormously tired of the latter trope in action movies.) I also liked that Charlize Theron was so kick-ass, but not in a show-offy way, and also that there was no romance between her and Tom Hardy.
My husband has attempted to get me to watch it a few times but I’ve always resisted though I generally love anything Charlize Theron does. You’re making me want to watch it now. My husband thanks you, lol.

Japanfan

I watched it out of obligation as it was nominated for an Oscar Best Film. It really is remarkable. Charlize was phenomenal. And the action sequences are more balletic than gruesome.
If you are a fan of Charlize, I highly recommend 'North Country', which is about a woman who works in a mine, where she is routinely abused and ridiculed, and facilitates the first ever class action suit against a mine (I think that was the reason for 'first ever' but may not recall correctly). Woody Harrelson plays the lawyer who takes on the case, his reason being that such a case has never been tried before. Francis McDormand is powerful in a supporting role.

It's a wonderful movie with all the ingredients of a Hollywood favorite - the 'little person' who takes on the system and wins.

Unfortunately it didn't get much press - probably because it was about a woman. :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I'm actually thinking of watching Fury Road again before we suspend our HBOMax subscription. :lol:

@VGThuy You had recommended Tokyo Story on HBOMax, and we watched it, and I did really like it and found it interesting. Afterward I watched Late Spring, which I also liked a lot. Thanks for the recommendation.

PeterG

I was SO looking forward to The Lodge, a 2019 psychological horror film by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala, who made the wonderfully scary 2014 film Goodnight Mommy. Franz used to be a film journalist and Fiala is her nephew. I can't recommend Goodnight Mommy enough, but The Lodge ended up being a disappointment. Which is a shame because it's wonderfully made, with great performances and beautifully shot winter footage from outside Montreal. The script is the problem, specifically the general theme. The dialogue is good, but the basic storyline, which is only revealed at the end of the movie is haunting...and not in a good "horror movie" kind of way. So I'm disappointed with being disappointed after enjoying their earlier movie so much. So skip this one and watch Goodnight Mommy instead.

Big thumps up for the lead performance by Riley Keough though (who happens to be Lisa Marie Presley's daughter). Keough is perfect in this role and carries the movie perfectly. Hopefully she finds other work which is less disturbing. Or disturbing in a good way (for you fellow fans of psychological thriller movies).

Trailer for The Lodge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Ltg-wv714

Trailer for Goodnight Mommy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCjApb9EDcg

PeterG

Tonight I watched the 1954 musical Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Released with little publicity, it became a big hit and received five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture Of The Year (it won the Oscar for musical score). MGM expected Brigadoon to be their big hit, but it ending up losing money. I enjoyed Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, even though the middle of the movie has a big plot problem viewing the movie 70 years later. But the film itself self-corrects. I found the movie to be very well paced, with lots of energetic performances, lively music and enjoyable high-energy dance sequences. If you're into old-time musicals and haven't seen this one, I definitely recommend it.

Trailer for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sxc4RNxAQ8

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information