Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My SIL loved that movie and made us watch it a lot back in the 80s. I am not a big fan of films of musicals for various reasons and with a few exceptions (WSS) so this did not make me particularly happy. I should ask her if she still watches it!

PeterG

Buddy Games is a comedy from last year written, directed and produced by Josh Duhamel. The movie received zero Oscar nominations, perhaps wikpedia sums it up best: "The film received mostly negative reviews from critics, with most criticism directed at the plot, direction, and characters." The movie is not horrible, it does have a few laughs. Perhaps file this one under "stupid comedies to watch on a rainy day when my mind must not be taxed in any way". :lol:

Trailer for Buddy Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAf9B6Fuzwk

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Tonight I watched the 1954 musical Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Released with little publicity, it became a big hit and received five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture Of The Year (it won the Oscar for musical score). MGM expected Brigadoon to be their big hit, but it ending up losing money. I enjoyed Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, even though the middle of the movie has a big plot problem viewing the movie 70 years later. But the film itself self-corrects. I found the movie to be very well paced, with lots of energetic performances, lively music and enjoyable high-energy dance sequences. If you're into old-time musicals and haven't seen this one, I definitely recommend it.

Trailer for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sxc4RNxAQ8
I mean in it helps that Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is actually good. Sure it doesn't age the greatest but Brigadoon has a tonal issue that it really can't escape from. Also while I normally enjoy Van Johnson quite a lot, he's miscast in Brigadoon and it really stands out. YouTube the dance scenes and ignore the movie.

Seven Brides is a lot of fun even if, like you said, it does have issues when you watch it now as opposed to in the 1950's. It happens a lot (Kiss Me Kate how I love you but yikes), it's just kind of a thing I think one sometimes has to think about when watching classic movies.

LeafOnTheWind

I remember Seven Brides. I haven't seen that in forever. I do remember it being fun. I wasn't thrilled with the big plot problem as a kid. But as you said, it self-corrects by the end to some degree. I might have to look for that one. It was one of the few musicals I didn't mind as much. I think one of the most fun scenes was the barn raising party.

VGThuy

I like how one woman was all into it and asked the other girls while lying in bed in captivity, "I wonder which brother slept in this bed..." I was :eek: at that line and it's from the 1950s. I couldn't help but sort of respect that girl in a way. She knew what she wanted and she was gonna get it.

LeafOnTheWind

You could tell they were bored with the "safe" town guys they had known all their lives. The eternal movie choice that bad = exciting and nice = boring.

PeterG

You could tell they were bored with the "safe" town guys they had known all their lives. The eternal movie choice that bad = exciting and nice = boring.

Which men were good and which men were bad? The six brothers knew they were unworthy/unprepared for the women in town. They were very serious about listening to and learning from Milly about how a woman should be treated. And the men from town at the barn raising fought dirty with no provocation from the brothers other than the brothers were trying to woo the women the men from town thought belonged to them.

LeafOnTheWind

Which men were good and which men were bad? The six brothers knew they were unworthy/unprepared for the women in town. They were very serious about listening to and learning from Milly about how a woman should be treated. And the men from town at the barn raising fought dirty with no provocation from the brothers other than the brothers were trying to woo the women the men from town thought belonged to them.
I was thinking more of how they would have been initially perceived by the townspeople. The townies were the good guys and better marriage material (not really in reality). The wild men from the middle of nowhere not being good enough and the bad rough and tough guys. Movie viewers saw all this through a completely different perspective.

Cachoo

YouTube! I love that you can find these obscure films at the site. Years ago (1978) I saw a film called "Almost Summer" and the speech that one candidate made for high school president stuck with me. I cannot believe I found such an obscure film that was remastered on that site. Now that I watch again I recognize DiDi Conn, Tim Matheson and Bruno Kirby among a few others.

Cachoo

And bless YouTube: Here is the trailer for my favorite (and obscure) Kenneth Branagh film " A Midwinter's Tale."

annie720

Tonight I watched the 1954 musical Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Released with little publicity, it became a big hit and received five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture Of The Year (it won the Oscar for musical score). MGM expected Brigadoon to be their big hit, but it ending up losing money. I enjoyed Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, even though the middle of the movie has a big plot problem viewing the movie 70 years later. But the film itself self-corrects. I found the movie to be very well paced, with lots of energetic performances, lively music and enjoyable high-energy dance sequences. If you're into old-time musicals and haven't seen this one, I definitely recommend it.

Trailer for Seven Brides For Seven Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sxc4RNxAQ8
I LOVE Seven Brides! One of my favorite movies ever! I believe when Michael Kidd agreed to choreograph the film, he insisted that the Brothers be dancers. Other than Howard Keel, and Russ Tamblyn who was a gymnast, they were all professional dancers and went on to continue their dance careers. Of particular note are famed NYCB dancer Jacques d'Amboise, and recently deceased Tommy Rall, an ABT dancer who went on to do several musicals in the '50s and was considered by many to the finest dancer of his time. My favorite number in the film might be the balletic Lonesome Polecat. Unfortunately it was often considered expendable and was cut from many of the TV airings. In the late '60s I became obsessed with the TV series Here Come the Brides because it reminded me of the movie. 😆

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I LOVE Seven Brides! One of my favorite movies ever! I believe when Michael Kidd agreed to choreograph the film, he insisted that the Brothers be dancers. Other than Howard Keel, and Russ Tamblyn who was a gymnast, they were all professional dancers and went on to continue their dance careers. Of particular note are famed NYCB dancer Jacques d'Amboise, and recently deceased Tommy Rall, an ABT dancer who went on to do several musicals in the '50s and was considered by many to the finest dancer of his time. My favorite number in the film might be the balletic Lonesome Polecat. Unfortunately it was often considered expendable and was cut from many of the TV airings. In the late '60s I became obsessed with the TV series Here Come the Brides because it reminded me of the movie. 😆
Jeff Richards (the tallest brother, Benjamin - whose "bride" was played by Julie Newmeyer, soon to be Newmar) was not a professional dancer. The other four younger brothers besides Russ Tamblyn were indeed all fine professional dancers.

annie720

Jeff Richards (the tallest brother, Benjamin - whose "bride" was played by Julie Newmeyer, soon to be Newmar) was not a professional dancer. The other four younger brothers besides Russ Tamblyn were indeed all fine professional dancers.
Totally forgot about him. Thanks! Wasn't he the ball player?

PeterG

Van Life is a 2019 documentary about three couples and one young woman who all leave behind their regular lives to live fulltime on the road and explore America. It's only 58 minutes long, I would have liked to have seen another person or couple (or two) added to the mix that showed some more diversity. One of the couples are retired seniors, but the other five people are all Cauacasian, middle-class and in their 20's or 30's. Still, I enjoyed this, getting to live a different kind of life through these people. I couldn't find a trailer for this documentary on youtube, but there is a trailer on the amazon page for this movie at this link:

vgerdes

Just saw "Nobody." If you're a fan of movies like "John Wick," I would highly recommend it. High-octane action. Plus Christopher Lloyd kicking butt at age 82. :)

PeterG

Valley Girl was re-made last year and I never saw the original, so I decided to watch it instead of the new one. It was made to capitalize on the craze around Frank Zappa's song Valley Girl. Zappa later tried to sue the makers of the film (he lost) as he claimed the movie infringed on his trademark. The biggest name in the cast is Nicolas Cage in his third movie role (after Fast Times At Ridgemont High and before Rumble Fish). This was when Cage was choosing interesting film roles instead of crappy B-movie action dreck. :lol: Cage is good in this (and kinda sexy). :D The movie co-stars Frederic Forrest (Oscar nominee for The Rose) and Elizabeth (E.G. Daily), famous for the Pee Wee Herman movies (Dottie) and a LOT of voice work (The Rugrats). Daily also made some really great pop/dance albums back in the 80's.

I liked the movie, but perhaps the best thing about it is the soundtrack (music removed from the movie because of costs include songs by the Clash, Culture Club and Bananarama). Some of the songs from the film include:

Modern English - I Melt With You
Josie Cotton - Johnny, Are You Queer?
The Flirts - Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)
Payolas - Eyes Of A Stranger
The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Trailer for Valley Girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSX4YgdKKMk

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Promising young woman' last week. Interesting storyline And ending. Revenge without guns. However the whole idea of why she does it seems unrealistic to me. Carey Mulligan is considered the favorite for Best actress, by Goldderby. This year's award is unpredictable IMO and I like that.

Cachoo

I watched “The Courier” and enjoyed the story, especially since it was true and, as usual, Benedict C’s performance. The cast was solid.

watchthis!!

Skin is a pretty good movie about Sandra, a girl in South Africa in the 1960's. Her parents are both white, but she has an appearance which results in her being classified by the government as "coloured". Sandra is brought up by her parents as white, but when they try to register her for a private school, they are challenged as to their daughter's ethnicity. Sophie Okonedo does a great job playing Sandra in her later teens until middle age. And good performances from Sam Neill and Alice Krige playing her parents. Was surprised to see that this movie didn't get any major award nominations, only recognition from various city film festivals.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
WaPo has an article in which a couple of critics recount the Oscar Best Picture nominees each year since 1977 and say which film really should have won each year (in their opinion). I don’t agree with all their choices but it’s kind of a fun read.

I disagreed with so many opinions in this article that I won't even comment. The list is too long. I agreed on one. Broke back mountain should have won instead of Crash.

annie720

WaPo has an article in which a couple of critics recount the Oscar Best Picture nominees each year since 1977 and say which film really should have won each year (in their opinion). I don’t agree with all their choices but it’s kind of a fun read.

I strongly disagree with many of the comments but I enjoyed reading the article. It reminds me of how many films I never saw, and I need to do something about that.

VGThuy

I disagreed with a good portion of their choices but I loved reading their rationales or when they were split and fought amongst themselves.

PeterG

I don't remember there being any talk about this year's Razzie award winners:

40th Golden Raspberry Awards

I have lots of problems with this year's Razzies. First, I don't know why they have so many movies and performances that I have never heard of. That seems like taking the easy way out rather than go after people and the movies they are in which we knew existed before hearing of them in the Razzie nominations. Did any of you know that Hilary Duff was in a movie this year? Or in any movie in the last TEN years??

The Fanatic? Never heard of it. Same for The Haunting of Sharon Tate, Zeroville and Dragged Across Concrete. Has anyone even heard of these movie titles, let alone known anything about these movies?

I also disagree that The Hustle (Anne Hathaway, Rebel Wilson) was up for multiple awards. I thought this was a silly, fun movie. I definitely recommend it.

But I did laugh at these nominees under the "Worst Screen Combo" nominees: John Travolta & any screenplay he accepts. And Sylvester Stallone & his impotent rage – Rambo: Last Blood. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information