Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Darkverse

In addition to my previous thoughts, I hope Kostornaia says nothing.

However, let's get real, Kostornaia is already 16. Since Kostornaia is apparently very bright, she probably already saw a pattern and made a reasonable prediction about where she would be by 2022 if she stayed.

Maybe Shcherbakova, also being 16, will be in a better place since she has something that resembles a 4Lz, although picking with a full blade could cause the technical panel to call it a Loop jump or unlisted jump.

However, my guess is that the 14 year olds with quads in Eteri's group will be her favorites by 2022, like Zagitova was by 2018.
Kostornaia will be 17 this month, she is a year older than Shcherbakova and Trusova.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I admire Kostornaia. I think she is smart, articulate, and wise....to say nothing of being a fabulous skater.

I have no problem believing the Eteri may not be the best place for her to be. She certainly produced great young skaters.

The thing I don't understand is why she would go to Plushenko. He is an amazing skater. But he has yet to show that he is an amazing coach

Skating and coaching are two different skill-sets. Not saying you can't do both, just that one does not automatically inform the other.

Darkverse

I admire Kostornaia. I think she is smart, articulate, and wise....to say nothing of being a fabulous skater.

I have no problem believing the Eteri may not be the best place for her to be. She certainly produced great young skaters.

The thing I don't understand is why she would go to Plushenko. He is an amazing skater. But he has yet to show that he is an amazing coach

Skating and coaching are two different skill-sets. Not saying you can't do both, just that one does not automatically inform the other.
Who else would take her at the last moment? Even not at the last moment I can't imagine there are a lot of takers for an Eteri skater Eteri wants to keep. Plus it is quite likely Rozanov that's her main motivation, not Plushenko himself.

starrynight

Plushenko has buzz though. The fact that he is an unknown entity is significant.

I expect any other coach would be seen as a step back.

Whereas Plushenko’s group is something that has momentum as a new shiny thing.

Also Plushenko has the power and ego to stare down Eteri and the Machine that supports her. That’s significant too. I don’t think anyone else in Russia has the power to really wade into a war with Eteri.

dinakt

Because Plushenko proved that he is not intimidated by Eteri. A gamble for Trusova and Kostornaia, for sure, but they trust Rozanov.

Also Plushenko has the power and ego to stare down Eteri and the Machine that supports her. That’s significant too. I don’t think anyone else in Russia has the power to really wade into a war with Eteri.

This. I think the fact that Plushenko does not feel he needs to tiptoe around Team Tutberidze is the main factor. Plus, shows and connections, and Plushenko is ambitious. Plus Rozanov.

hanca

Values her privacy
Because Plushenko proved that he is not intimidated by Eteri. A gamble for Trusova and Kostornaia, for sure, but they trust Rozanov.

This. I think the fact that Plushenko does not feel he needs to tiptoe around Team Tutberidze is the main factor. Plus, shows and connections, and Plushenko is ambitious. Plus Rozanov.
I think Pluschenko still gets the thrill from competition (based on how long he managed to compete, then coming back again after he retired, and finally retired only after his body really started falling into pieces). Now he has a chance to get to another olympics, even if as a coach and not as a skater, so I think he is super motivated to do his utmost best to get the results. And it also helps that in December there was the exchange on public media between Pluschenko and Tutberidze and on that occasion she suggested that he isn’t a coach because he hasn’t achieved anything yet as a coach, so having one or two ex-Tutberidze’s skaters and getting them to olympics would be like sticking his middle finger at her. I don’t think Kostornaya could have found a more motivated coach!

layman

When Alysa Liu left her, Laura Lipetsky (her former coach), kept it classy, saying "no comment...I don't want to distract Alysa or undermine her training in any way."

Eteri, as per usual, paints hersef as the victim while proceeding to tear down, trash, dismiss and abuse the minors that she used to train (tear down, trash, dismiss and abuse) because they were lucky enough to get away from her. The woman is a manipulative, narcissistic sociopath. I would not trust her to train a python (her own species), much less a human child and I hope that Valieva and Sherbakova get away from her too.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I woke up around 3 am Saturday morning and couldnt sleep (possibly the drinking) and saw some news about this.

I been meaning to come here and see who started a thread about it... BUT... I have no time to sift through these 9 pages... can someone be a doll and DM the need-to-know details....... I would greatly appreciate it..

why is everyone bailing? Is Plushy that good?

Is she getting the flowers she wants?

Perky Shae Lynn

I woke up around 3 am Saturday morning and couldnt sleep (possibly the drinking) and saw some news about this.

I been meaning to come here and see who started a thread about it... BUT... I have no time to sift through these 9 pages... can someone be a doll and DM the need-to-know details....... I would greatly appreciate it..

why is everyone bailing? Is Plushy that good?

Is she getting the flowers she wants?
You really did miss everything. So Tutberidze is actually sending Kostornaia flowers because according to the typically gracious Eteri, she kicked Alyona out. For (wait for it... wait for it...) being a DIVA.

Willin

Honestly I think there's a few upsides to Plushenko. I think Sergei was probably a big factor, but there's a couple other things there.

1. Plushenko is Plushenko. He's a huge name who will get money and sponsorships both by virtue of his name and by all his connections/fame in Russia. Even though a lot of that goes to him in particular, he does spread the wealth by using his connections to get his skaters sponsorships and opportunities (shows, education, coaching gigs) that Sambo 70 skaters can't easily get. Eteri's name is reliant on her students. Once they fade, she and her connections leave that student for the next one. Plushenko tends to support other skaters. Plushenko even does favors like finding and making opportunities for retired skaters who were never associated with him while competitive. And if Eteri stops having successful students in such a large number, the fame and money she has to give right now dries up. Plushenko's won't dry up as readily.

2. Plushenko is a really petty guy who acts childish - but typically only to his peers at any given time. He doesn't trash his students quite like Eteri does. I'd imagine it's easier to work with someone who you know won't trash or insult you if you, a teenager, makes a change.

Tobbe

Well, let's get real. Every figure skater is a diva. It's in the nature of the sport.

As I understand it, the only option for Kostornaia to change at this time of the season is to Pluschenko's camp. Because he is private. All other changes must be done by the end of May.

But there is something we don't know here. The whole thing seems to be a bit sudden. Something must have happened. And I can't shake the feeling that this is just a teenager's mood swing. Does Trusova have something to do with it? Surely these girls have communicated with each other. Trusova might have painted a picture that this is heaven with lots of freedom and wonderful conditions. Every teenager loves freedom...

starrynight

There’s no way these girls lack self discipline. They are all incredibly focused - that particular kind of focused teenager is actually far more disciplined and focused than an adult will ever be. It’s that youthful tunnel vision where the world is still so small you’re not aware of thoughts outside of those immediate goals.

So I think it’s a very big stretch to just say it’s a teenage mood swing.

These are not the teenagers who are smoking behind the bike sheds. I’m still young enough to remember these kinds of mindsets.

Willin

And there were reports circulating among legit FS print news as early as April/May that Eteri's absence led many students to look into moving away from her. The announcement's sudden, but I highly doubt the actual change was...

hanca

Values her privacy
Honestly I think there's a few upsides to Plushenko. I think Sergei was probably a big factor, but there's a couple other things there.
2. Plushenko is a really petty guy who acts childish - but typically only to his peers at any given time. He doesn't trash his students quite like Eteri does. I'd imagine it's easier to work with someone who you know won't trash or insult you if you, a teenager, makes a change.
You are joking, right? Sakhanovich and Tarakanova... Sakhanovich ended up having an emotional breakdown and being hospitalised after Pluschenko handled their break up in public media!

Interview wih Serafima Sakhanovich about her break up with Pluschenko:

and here Pluschenko has his parting shot at Tarakanova (google isyour friend, if you decided to have a short memory):

Last edited:

Bigbird

Russian coaches seem particularly temperamental and petty. These kids have it difficult regardless. Maybe Kostornaia just needed a change to help her focus on her last two seasons?

DobrinFan

As I understand it, the only option for Kostornaia to change at this time of the season is to Pluschenko's camp. Because he is private. All other changes must be done by the end of May.

No coaching changes can happen after May. Kolyada this summer went to Mishin after May for example.

hanca

Values her privacy
No coaching changes can happen after May. Kolyada this summer went to Mishin after May for example.
I think, it depends on WHO does it. Sometimes the rules don’t apply for some people... it is not only in skating world. In outside world it is the same.

barbarafan

Plushenko is a figurehead. There is a team of coaches that will be handling Kostornaia's training. Rozanov's defection from camp Eteri was a very big deal. Might have opened the floodgates.
So if both Trusova and Kostomaia are entered in competitions they might have Plushenko and Rozanov at the boards to steady and inspire them. That could be a nice plus.

starrynight

I know choreography is being discussed, but I went back and looked at Trusova and Kostornaya's programs from last season and gosh... it's not like it could get worse. All the leg kicking and awkwardly lifting legs in the air. Kostornaya is such a beautiful skater -- why any choreographer would crush her strengths like that, I don't know.

Bigbird

I know choreography is being discussed, but I went back and looked at Trusova and Kostornaya's programs from last season and gosh... it's not like it could get worse. All the leg kicking and awkwardly lifting legs in the air. Kostornaya is such a beautiful skater -- why any choreographer would crush her strengths like that, I don't know.
He lacks imagination. One trick pony. I honestly can't understand all the fuss.

starrynight

He lacks imagination. One trick pony. I honestly can't understand all the fuss.

Out of the three girls, all three free programs aren't worth watching again. The most significant thing that stayed with me after watching them was that pressing fear that Scherbakova's landing leg was going to snap in two under her. That and all the girls having the same awkward leg pick ups a few times through all of their programs.

I think the programs just get points because they are obviously very difficult because they are so busy and the jump content.

I just really hope Plushenko gets a good choreographer in for Kostornaya. It would be nice to see what she could do with an elegant, graceful program.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I've been bothered by Tutberidze & co. choreography since 2014 or so, and especially when Medvedeva was winning everything. It's just too much of a sprint, non-stop something going on which earns the PCS I suppose, but there's not really a lot of highs or lows or variety in anything. And it's always delivered in the same manner of 'okay, arm movement now. leg up now.' I guess that's what bothers me the most- it's all choreographed precisely, but we don't see much emotional delivery change, if at all, from many of the group.

While some of the skaters seem to have the understanding that they can make it their own (Kostornaia), many just plow right through everything in a robotic manner. Watch the first 20 seconds or so of Zagitova's free skate from last season: none of those movements make any sense to me. Complex- yeah. But not really anything finished off or matching the music or setting any kind of mood. There are a multitude of ways to get transitions and 'composition' into the program, but they go all-out at times.

That said, Daniil hasn't been all bad. I'm still a huge fan of what they did with Zagitova in (2017 and) 2018 and I wasn't even bothered by Kostornaia's LP last year and obviously her SP was wonderful. Even Trusova's SP was pretty decent IMO.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that Pluschenko’s camp discourages gimmicky costumes (with flaps or moveable layers that give the impression of a mid-routine costume change). Better for a skater to have good choreography...pay more for choreography, less for a complex costume.

lala

You are joking, right? Sakhanovich and Tarakanova... Sakhanovich ended up having an emotional breakdown and being hospitalised after Pluschenko handled their break up in public media!

Interview wih Serafima Sakhanovich about her break up with Pluschenko:

and here Pluschenko has his parting shot at Tarakanova (google isyour friend, if you decided to have a short memory):
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.championat.com/figuresk...na-ustraivala-isteriki-postojanno-revela.html [/ URL]

Yes, this is true, unfortunately. Plushenko had bad mooth after their switch. I was angry on him. I hope he will develop as a coach in this matter, too.

But I must say Sima's words are so weird for me. I know she is beloved here but she talks too much and very differently. In same months she praised Plushenko after that she gave an interview and had bad words on him. She received grants from Plushenko she trained for free at tha Academy. Plushy payed her medical threatment when she arrived in summer of 2017 because she was injured. Plushenko already had signed contracts about shows when Siima arrived unexpectedly. The academy was 3 months old. Plushenko postponed his shows in Slovakia when became clean no one can go to SLC with Sima.
According to her interview she complained that she lived in a very bad apartement in Moscow and she has no money....

Bellanca

Eteri's style or method of coaching is exacerbated by her ott reactions when students leave for other coaches - and also her penchant for attracting attention to herself, e.g., mugging for the cameras, melting down in interviews or on social media, this stuff bothers a lot of people. Personally, I don't care; it does not affect me that way. I tend to laugh at her temperamental outbursts. However, an abusive environment? That's different, and I have zero tolerance for that, as anyone should, but Eteri's drama queen stuff on the side? Nah. We've had plenty of blustering, swaggering coaches, and coaching personalities across the (sports) board in the past (knowingly or not) upstaging their athletes. That side of Eteri is nothing new.

Plus, her record of success riles people and invites intense scrutiny and inevitably will bring on criticism. Whether or not she is truly a coach that crosses the line is subject to a predictable and ongoing investigation and further debate.

I think when you have the top two or three skaters in the world practicing at the same rink and being trained by the same coach, problems are inevitable. It gets tricky after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information