Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
If it's true what Danny G. said, then it really was a bad way to part with your team.
Kostornaia is still young, but this behavior is not your typical "teenage rebellion", but a calculated and ruthless betrayal. I can imagine Team Tutberidze is hurt. I'd be as well.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Question: in Russia is the choreography proprietary? Does the skater purchase the choreography and can do as they wish if payment has been made? Basically, can she use the programs Dani G choreographed skating for Plushenko's group?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
She can and will get new programs. The clip they showed on Instagram gave me one thought only, "she deserves better."
She could use them, but won't or she could not use them and will have to get different programs? Are the programs the property of Dani G or Kosternaia? If they are now hers to keep or not, I'd be a little annoyed if I were Dani for wasting his time.

DobrinFan

She could use them, but won't or she could not use them and will have to get different programs?

No, I believe these are the property of the school. She will change them as Sambo70/Eteri will not let her use them and Plushenko/Alena probably don't want to anyway. Most who change coaches leave the program unless the school/previous team is okay with it. But I've only really seen that with novice boys who transition in Russia and leave the programs (like I said I only watch junior boys so what others skaters this age in Russia do, I don't know).

Polina for example had programs made at Eteri but when she went to Buianova got new ones. Same with Kovtun's transition to Goncharenko. He left the new programs with the previous team.

ETA: when Radionova left for Buianova she did keep her SP by Shae-Lynn but this was paid for by Radionova and her sponsors. So if they paid for it themselves, they can keep them.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Hmmmm....I do have to wonder why she waited to tell them if that's the case. One, I'd be annoyed if I were Team Eteri as well, and two) she has to start over with completely new programs. She couldn't even use last seasons. The test skates are in September and that doesn't leave her much time. Even if the international GP events are cancelled, Russia's internal competitions will be fierce and they may well use them for all skaters with regard to getting an invitation to Russian nationals instead of just those who don't get GP spots. This could be a problem for Medvedeva as well if she actually goes back to Canada. Interesting possibilities.

Polaris

Okay, now that my jaw has picked up again - I don't get why Kostornaia would move to Plushenko. Kostornaia is super well rounded and was faring well in Eteri's camp. I don't see Plushenko helping out much, and his coaching skills are dubious.

DobrinFan

"You always try to find an excuse for anything you do." Tutberidze about the departure of Alena Kostornaya

Following Alexandra Trusova, figure skater Alena Kostornaya left the coaching group of Eteri Tutberidze. European champion, winner of the ISU Grand Prix finals, holder of two world records passed to Evgeni Plushenko. In an interview with TASS, Tutberidze revealed the details of the last days of working with the athlete, talked about the staging of her new programs and her attitude to what happened.

Eteri Georgievna, how did Alena work at the training camp in Novogorsk?

Until July 15, she trained well, was recovering with an excellent mood, preparing for the season. Two programs were staged - short and free, and in our professional opinion, they should have made at least a splash in figure skating. It was a godsend for her and for the situation in the world.

Already on July 16, she was in a rather sour mood, then she was unwell, she did not go out on the ice, and on the evening of the 18th we talked, Alena announced her plans for the transition. She then left the base, citing health problems.

- Did you manage to recover after switching to Plushenko Sasha Trusova ?

- No, of course. But you always try to find an excuse for any deed, you try to look at the world through their eyes. Understand that they want to win in this situation. But for this you need to talk.

- What did Alena lack?

- She said that she cannot be on the ice with a certain list of athletes. We try to keep the skaters separate. We had five people on the ice, and there was enough time for each. Yes, when there are ten of them, I, of course, no longer have time. But we have three coaches on the ice.

Of course, our coaching staff is offended that we were chosen simply as a headquarters with which we can guarantee to go through training camps for recovery. With Alena, a week was spent on staging, but we could spend this time on other athletes, to embody our other creative ideas. Of course, this is devastating.

- Eteri Georgievna, it turns out that Evgeni Plushenko goes with your athletes to the Olympics.

- Yes, although he did not have time to guarantee himself this initially. Now Plushenko receives ready-made athletes and a certain guarantee for the Olympics.

- Can you justify such transfers of ready-made athletes to other coaches?

- I can only say that I have never lured anyone away. How can an athlete be given a guarantee of results and success? It takes a long way.

Interviewed by Veronika Sovetova

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
Eteri made a point of telling Medvedeva that all her skaters get equal chance, but my guess is she has a clear favorite who gets quickly dumped for the next shiny toy. It is human nature to have a favorite and to feel snubbed if you are no longer the favorite. Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva, Trusova, now Kostornaia clearly felt snubbed, and Zagitova "took a break." Eteri is probably focused on Valieva now. She's grown an embarrassment of riches, but if she turns her back on them at 17 or 18, she shouldn't be so surprised if last year's #1 who has not retired now feels snubbed.

bardtoob

Julia left like half a decade ago, then got treated for an eating disorder and moved on with her life in a major way.

Eteri mentioning Julia at all is Eteri's problem alone. Normally I would say Eteri "needs to get a grip" but probably "let it go" is more appropriate.

Once Julia put forward a requirement not to go out on the same ice with Zhenya ... Then Zhenya refused to skate with Alina ... And now from Alena we have received a whole list of girls non grata. That's where we parted with her ...

The girls change but the behavior remains the same.

I am going to assume it is the team that elicits the behavior from the girls because I don't think the evidence indicates the ice and facilities elicit the behavior.

Last edited:

DobrinFan

- Can you justify such transfers of ready-made athletes to other coaches?

- I can only say that I have never lured anyone away. How can an athlete be given a guarantee of results and success? It takes a long way.

LIES! That's not what Kanysheva said :watch: Maybe not her personally, but someone told Kanysheva, "Eteri would love to see you in her group." This per the skater herself and how she refused at first.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
With Alena, a week was spent on staging, but we could spend this time on other athletes, to embody our other creative ideas. Of course, this is devastating.
Such as deciding whether to use glass breaking sound FX or record scratching sound FX to highlight skaters lifting their legs for no reason?

Such as creating a customized magic eight ball with mostly affirmative answers for questions like the following:

Should we add another transition? It is decidedly so.

Does my face need more fillers? As I see it, yes.

Should I also trash Lipnitskaia and Medvedeva every time I make classless comments about a teenager switching coaches? It is certain.

Is your newest ten-year-old skater at Sambo who just posted a quad on Instagram more likely to retire for health reasons before attaining JGP age eligibility or to switch to Hot Sergei? Better ask later.

hanca

Values her privacy
Eteri made a point of telling Medvedeva that all her skaters get equal chance, but my guess is she has a clear favorite who gets quickly dumped for the next shiny toy. It is human nature to have a favorite and to feel snubbed if you are no longer the favorite. Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva, Trusova, now Kostornaia clearly felt snubbed, and Zagitova "took a break." Eteri is probably focused on Valieva now. She's grown an embarrassment of riches, but if she turns her back on them at 17 or 18, she shouldn't be so surprised if last year's #1 who has not retired now feels snubbed.
Based on my personal experience with four different coaches, plus observing quite a few other coaches at the rink, most coaches have their favourites, no matter how much they like to say that they don’t. Whether they dump the favourite for the next shiny thing, I think it is natural, up to some extent. Even though it sounds cruel, coaches are the same like any other professionals - they love the skaters who bring them the results, because that reflects on them as a coach. And because there is a very short time window when female skaters are most successful (let’s say the age between 15-17 because younger is not eligible to seniors and older is already beaten by the next 15 year old), it is natural that the favourites (those who bring the results) will frequently change. Especially when she has a line of girls waiting for their turn to win the medals.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
No, I believe these are the property of the school. She will change them as Sambo70/Eteri will not let her use them and Plushenko/Alena probably don't want to anyway. Most who change coaches leave the program unless the school/previous team is okay with it. But I've only really seen that with novice boys who transition in Russia and leave the programs (like I said I only watch junior boys so what others skaters this age in Russia do, I don't know).

Polina for example had programs made at Eteri but when she went to Buianova got new ones. Same with Kovtun's transition to Goncharenko. He left the new programs with the previous team.

ETA: when Radionova left for Buianova she did keep her SP by Shae-Lynn but this was paid for by Radionova and her sponsors. So if they paid for it themselves, they can keep them.
Stolbova/Klimov won the Olympics/took silver for Mozer with Velikov's programme...

Vagabond

This isn't really germane to the thread, but Sambo-70 should change its name to something less problematic.

MsZem

I see the sea
This isn't really germane to the thread, but Sambo-70 should change its name to something less problematic.
I have no idea what the origin of the name Sambo-70 is, but isn't Sambo a type of martial art in Russia? Why would they change the name based on its (obviously*) problematic meaning in another language?

ETA: some Wikipedia research - the club was founded by Judo & Sambo world champion David Rudman in 1970, and eventually branched into skating.

* Less obvious than I realized, as some of the posts on the next page show.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sambo (Russian: са́мбо, pronounced [ˈsambə]) is a Soviet martial art, an internationally-practised combat sport,[2][3] and a recognized style of amateur wrestling included by FILA in the World Wrestling Championships along with Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling.[4][5]

It originated in the Russian SFSR in Soviet Union. The word sambo is an acronym of the romanization samozashchita bez oruzhiya (Russian: самозащита без оружия), which literally translates to 'self-defence without weapons'.[6] The correct, official English spelling, approved by USA Wrestling and the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee, is SOMBO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information