Kolyada Withdrawn from Olympics, Replaced by Semenenko

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This seems ... harsh.

What's the big deal with just taking him out of the team event, letting him prepare and then travel on his own, if possible?
They should have done that. He is 26. Probably his last chance for another Olympics.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, they were supposed to leave for Krasnoyarsk tomorrow but as Zhuk mentioned, their departure is now in question. I'm sure they will be smart enough to skip it!!

Nikita and Vika have left for Krasnoyarsk on Sunday (as per Nikita's IG) so they are already there...
If they end up not making it to Beijing, it could even mean an Olympic podium for S/B!
Yes, SinKats have been in Krasnoyarsk a couple of days already. It would definitely be something else if the Russian Olympic dance teams wound up being StepBuk, DavSmo, and MorBag.

I will be very crushed for StepBuk if they don't make it to Beijing after the disappointment of 2018, so I'm going to be praying good things for them until they are safely within the closed loop bubble.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think Eteri is going to maintain her bubble. Mishin‘s group has always been lax with *********. I think Eterie will do everything possible to ensure that her pair team and female skaters will be ********* free so they can compete.
But not Morisi? :D
Nikita and Vika have left for Krasnoyarsk on Sunday (as per Nikita's IG) so they are already there...
If they end up not making it to Beijing, it could even mean an Olympic podium for S/BChock/Bates!
Ahem.

ostile17

As it became known to SE, at the training camp of the Russian national figure skating team in Krasnoyarsk, three participants were tested positive for coronavirus. The first is figure skater Yegor Bazin, a reserve team in ice dancing, performing together with Elizaveta Khudaibeodiyeva. The second is the coach of this pair Denis Samokhin. The name of the third source was not named, but this is a coach from the headquarters of Alexei Mishin.

In addition, according to SE sources, there has been no de facto “bubble” in Krasnoyarsk until today. It was decided to tighten the rules for contacts between skaters and the external environment only today after positive test.

The training camp in Krasnoyarsk will last until February 1, when the team will fly to Beijing

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
In addition, according to SE sources, there has been no de facto “bubble” in Krasnoyarsk until today. It was decided to tighten the rules for contacts between skaters and the external environment only today after positive test.
What in the h*ll? Are they effing nuts?

Do we know whether or not the Moskvina pairs are in Krasnoyarsk yet or not?

skateboy

And of course because of the most ridiculous rule ever he has to withdraw from now even though his event is in 14 days, when 99.99% he will be negative and no longer infectious.
Agreed, although he is probably in no shape to train, during the most important weeks of an athlete's career. :(

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I had thought that the Russian training camp was similar to the “bubble” situation in LA for the US skater, but sadly not. I know that there are limited departure airports for the Beijing destination and thought that might be why they had their team gathering in one place. But had thought they would keep the skaters more isolated.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There are going to be more positive tests from team Russia, aren't there :(
I am really worried about all their skaters that are already there, and those who are not in Krasnoyarsk but will be on the same flight to Beijing.

This blows my mind. How could they take such a terrible chance With their skaters and coaches, with Olympic medals on line?

Last edited:

Lacey

I remember Kolyada so well from Worlds in Boston in 2016. A Russian fan came and sat in the seats next to us to watch him compete, I had no idea who he was and and yet I cried when she did when he very surprisingly placed fourth--I will never forget his tremendous sense of style.

I am so very sad for his C****** diagnosis this Olympic season. Tragic.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I remember Kolyada so well from Worlds in Boston in 2016. A Russian fan came and sat in the seats next to us to watch him compete, I had no idea who he was and and yet I cried when she did when he very surprisingly placed fourth--I will never forget his tremendous sense of style.

I am so very sad for his C****** diagnosis this Olympic season. Tragic.
He was great at the 2016 worlds. People were talking about him as reminding them Of Kulik. I had watched him since his junior years and loved him. After the 2016 Worlds, where he skated two clean programs, he became very inconsistent. I still enjoy his skating and I was hoping that he would skate great in Beijing. I am very disappointed.

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
I agree with those who said that this will not be the last case and I am angry. This was probably not avoidable and there will be others who will go the same route. But the lax treatment of co*vid in the last two years from Russian skaters, coaches and staff was visible to all of us and it is very very likely that some of these positive cases might have been avoided. And they KNEW - even when they did not take the illness itself serious, they KNEW what it would mean for the skaters.

If S/B have to withdraw I would be even more sad, even though I am no particular fan of theirs but it would be just cruel to be denied the Olympics for a second time.

zebraswan

Mishin never wore his mask correctly over the past 2 years. I don't understand how he was allowed to bring his team to the camp with 2 positive tests in the group (Gleb and Mikhail) and now a known third case? That is beyond irresponsible. It's not their first outbreak, either! I would not be surprised if Zhenya tests positive soon.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Actually why do they have this training camp, particularly in the days of C19, etc.? What can they learn at this camp that they cannot at their regular rinks?
I believe that Krasnoyarsk is also about policy/medical/pr debriefings, similar to what Team USA skaters will receive at the staging base in CA.

Hedwig

Antique member
Mishin never wore his mask correctly over the past 2 years. I don't understand how he was allowed to bring his team to the camp with 2 positive tests in the group (Gleb and Mikhail) and now a known third case? That is beyond irresponsible. It's not their first outbreak, either! I would not be surprised if Zhenya tests positive soon.
that is what I was thinking. The infection came from Mishin's team to Kolyada - odds are they were picked up at Euros (or at some other place where the team member was blasé about protection) and gave it to Kolyada.

With Omicron I am so much more willing to give everyone a free pass - it is just spreading like wildfire and even at the most cautious you could have bad luck. But seeing Mishin (who I respect a lot) and his mask wearing at Euros again made my blood boil - and now Kolyada has to miss the Olympics.

co*vid sucks so so so so much.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Channel One news report on Team Russia’s (ROC) final preps, including listening to Putin’s pep talk via Zoom. (Sorry that Kolyada’s not there.) Figure skating delegation’s part begins at the 2:50 mark. Kamila stands and talks to Putin, on behalf of team…Putin seems quite taken by the sweet young team leader!

p.s. I’m not so sure about the powder-blue suits (pajamas?) on the women.

Last edited:

Icetalavista

Even if C***** didn't exist, the pre-Oly training camp would make little sense to me. Drag everyone to an unfamiliar rink. Upset their daily routine. Add on the time investment & stress of travel right before a long flight. Make everyone drag ALL their costumes, practice gear, skates to the camp. Makes no sense at all.

skatfan

Even if C***** didn't exist, the pre-Oly training camp would make little sense to me. Drag everyone to an unfamiliar rink. Upset their daily routine. Add on the time investment & stress of travel right before a long flight. Make everyone drag ALL their costumes, practice gear, skates to the camp. Makes no sense at all.
I think this is happening in a lot of countries this time because of the paperwork, COVID testing, processing (getting the uniforms etc) and charter flights out. Figure skaters in the US are bubbling somewhere near LA.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Before the 2018 Olympics, the skaters flew to a pre-Olympics camp in Japan to acclimatize. I guess that was the same logic with this camp - to get the skaters into the same time zone as the games.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Before Vancouver, the Russian team came early and they practiced west of Vancouver, Abbottsford IIRC. They let in a limited number of standees to watch practice.

It also gives the team a chance to bond as Olympians, as well as acclimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information