Kolyada Withdrawn from Olympics, Replaced by Semenenko

Andrea82

Thanks for that. I am not sure I understood any of it. So you are allowed to compete 8 days minimum post infection/departure. In that case Kolyada would have to be negative let’s say by the 5th of Feb and leave on that day. I guess they want to leave as a whole team and not let him fly out alone, which seems very harsh.
Tbh I am now wondering what condition he is in, having missed Euros too. I wonder whether he’s semi injured, has ********* and they just told him listen you need to give your spot to Semenenko, you can’t keep him waiting till the last minute given you are recovering from injury and now sick.
Strictly going by the rules, if you want to leave on Feb 5th, you need to send them documents about your recovery this Friday. So you need to be negative this Friday.

(edit: actually before because I forgot not to count Sundays)

But yes, I wonder the same thing you mention in the second paragraph given it has been reported he has been unwell. So he is missing also training, I would suppose.

Last edited:

seabm7

Thanks for that. I am not sure I understood any of it. So you are allowed to compete 8 days minimum post infection/departure. In that case Kolyada would have to be negative let’s say by the 5th of Feb and leave on that day. I guess they want to leave as a whole team and not let him fly out alone, which seems very harsh.

No, it's not that way. The regulation means 8 working days after you turn negative. If Kolyada becomes negative on Feb 5th, he can enter Beijing after Feb 17th.

SLIVER

No, it's not that way. The regulation means 8 working days after you turn negative. If Kolyada becomes negative on Feb 5th, he can enter Beijing after Feb 17th.
Did you skip out the weekend because it’s not a ‘working day’? Surely by working day they mean a calendar day, what's a working for an athlete and when it comes to covid?? But yes your point is taken. It's done now and there is no point speculating but the latest Kolyada could arrive is before the draw I guess, minus 8 days from that, so it's all super tight.
In any case, it goes back to what we were saying, anyone who tests positive now is going to struggle to make it, unless their illness is very short, their Federation is willing to change their flights etc and their event is at tail end of the Olympics. I wonder whether athletes that are there now and test positive have the same 8 day rule too, post infection.

Last edited:

AYS

🌻
Did you skip out the weekend because it’s not a ‘working day’? Surely by working day they mean a calendar day, what's a working for an athlete and when it comes to *********?? But yes your point is taken. It's done now and there is no point speculating but the latest Kolyada could arrive is before the draw I guess, minus 8 days from that, so it's all super tight.
In any case, it goes back to what we were saying, anyone who tests negative now is going to struggle to make it, unless their illness is very short, their Federation is willing to change their flights etc and their event is at tail end of the Olympics. I wonder whether athletes that are there now and test positive have the same 8 day rule too post infection.
If I'm reading that Handbook correctly (which is no easy feat), if you test positive there, it seems to state that you're out of competition (p 35). All the remaining rules and timings seem to relate to requirements around hospitalization (if symptomatic) or isolation (if asymptomatic), and I guess next steps for traveling home.

I have a friend who was recently detained for 10 days in a "C Hotel" (basically a prison) while in Panama on a business trip due to a pre-flight positive test and I must say the description of the conditions in Beijing, should you need to isolate, sound a lot better than what she endured. At least you get a window and training equipment if requested in Beijing! I'll bet you even get soap and a towel!

Ka3sha

According to Russian press, Kolyada tested positive in St Petersburg before leaving for the pre-Olympic camp in Krasnoyarsk. Evgeny Semenenko and Petr Gumennik (1st and only alternative now) have already arrived to Krasnoyarsk.

SLIVER

If I'm reading that Handbook correctly (which is no easy feat), if you test positive there, it seems to state that you're out of competition (p 35). All the remaining rules and timings seem to relate to requirements around hospitalization (if symptomatic) or isolation (if asymptomatic), and I guess next steps for traveling home.

I have a friend who was recently detained for 10 days in a "C Hotel" (basically a prison) while in Panama on a business trip due to a pre-flight positive test and I must say the description of the conditions in Beijing, should you need to isolate, sound a lot better than what she endured. At least you get a window and training equipment if requested in Beijing! I'll bet you even get soap and a towel!
The world has gone batshit crazy.

seabm7

Did you skip out the weekend because it’s not a ‘working day’? Surely by working day they mean a calendar day, what's a working for an athlete and when it comes to *********??

8 working days is needed to process the documentations provided by the athlete to the Beijing Organizers on the negative results. Yes, I skipped weekends because Saturdays and Sundays are not working days in China.

SLIVER

According to Russian press, Kolyada tested positive in St Petersburg before leaving for the pre-Olympic camp in Krasnoyarsk. Evgeny Semenenko and Petr Gumennik (1st and only alternative now) have already arrived to Krasnoyarsk.
I think this confirms that it might be combination of injury and the virus. I strongly believe if he could compete, was quite asymptomatic and was a big contender, the Russian Fed would have changed his travel plans and waited till the last second to replace him when they genuinely had zero other choice. It seems way too complicated and short now and he doesn't seem ready.

Andrea82

At page 36, they add:

– At an isolation facility:
– If you are asymptomatic, you will be tested every day, beginning 24 hours after your last test
– You will be discharged once you have two consecutive negative COVID-19 (PCR) test results with at least 24 hours between the two samples and no other COVID-19 symptoms
– If you wish to return to your Games-time role after recovery, you will be asked to adopt additional countermeasures that apply to close contacts. See page 38 for more detail

So they can theoretically compete again if they recover fast enough. I think it can work for sports such as biathlon, cross-country skiing, etc in in which there are lots of days between first and last competition and some athletes are entered in all of them.

AYS

🌻
The world has gone batshit crazy.
I've tended to err on the side of caution during the pandemic, but "zero tolerance" policies usually end up with pretty bad unintended consequences.

Re: Panama, my friend had the feeling, based on the runaround she and those who tried to help got, there was hinkiness :bribe: going on with these detainments. They wouldn't even let her get any additional test until the end of the detainment - it was completely and 100% required she be held for the full time (despite being vaccinated and the fact that this was to get on a US flight where the quarantine for asymptomatic had been already reduced to 5 days). The food was also inedible, but thank goodness her client managed to get some groceries in to her.

Agree, this seems like more than just the timing of a positive test in his case. First and foremost, I hope he gets better ASAP.

pointbleu

People well healed from Covid might test positive up to 6 months afterwards, even more so by the Chinese standards of PCR tests being set at 40 and not 30 or 35 in most other countries.

Seerek

So they can theoretically compete again if they recover fast enough. I think it can work for sports such as biathlon, cross-country skiing, etc in in which there are lots of days between first and last competition and some athletes are entered in all of them.

In addition to that, reserve athletes from the same country in cross country ski and biathlon are more readily available on site as last minute replacements in case of a withdrawal.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think this confirms that it might be combination of injury and the *****. I strongly believe if he could compete, was quite asymptomatic and was a big contender, the Russian Fed would have changed his travel plans and waited till the last second to replace him when they genuinely had zero other choice. It seems way too complicated and short now and he doesn't seem ready.
I said last week he would withdraw. When he missed Europeans, the flags were waving. Given the Russian media is already starting the critique of his skating, combined with injury and illness, I suspect it was just too much.

Yuri

There is also a lengthy Russian article in sports.ru that states while Kolyada likely could have recovered in time to travel for the men's event, Russia didn't want to take any chances since it would impact his training and likely make him unavailable for the team event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information