Kolyada Withdrawn from Olympics, Replaced by Semenenko

SLIVER

There is also a lengthy Russian article in sports.ru that states while Kolyada likely could have recovered in time to travel for the men's event, Russia didn't want to take any chances since it would impact his training and likely make him unavailable for the team event.

Bingo, this is what I was trying to understand. In ‘theory’ it could be possible but it’s unlikely and they’re not willing to change everything for him. God forbid if this were Valieva, I am sure different steps might have been taken. Not criticising Russian Fed, I understand their decision.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
lets just hope he didnt infect anyone else, Mishin and Semenenko better stay in their own bubble and dont go other skaters coaching camps

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Failed PCR test :(.

Edit: More details from Olympics.com. Kolyada is symptomatic.
This is so awful, I really feel for him. Such a beautiful skater, especially when he's on. I wish a speedy recovery for him and much better days ahead. 🙏

emilieh

Beijing 2022 has said that they are expediting the time for the "recovery documents" now, although an updated time table was not given. It does seem like there may have been enough time for the individual event IF he tests negative soon, but there's no guarantee of that, and I've known people that have alternated between negative and positive tests for several weeks after being ill.

Ka3sha

Well, according to Vaitsekhovskaya, ice dance alternatives and their coach (one of Khuda/Bazin and Samokhin) also tested positive, and they have already arrived to Krasnoyarsk.
Match TV confirmed positive tests for Egor Bazin and Denis Samokhin.

Scott512

Sorry to hear this for Misha and for the Russians because I was hoping just yesterday that they had escaped the Coronavirus issue heading into the Olympics. Skaters from St. Petersburg have really been hammered with this virus for the last year-and-a-half.

I don't know why figure skaters from Moscow seem to have had fewer problems with the virus in the last year-and-a-half than skaters from St Petersburg have. Can anyone explain that?

Last edited:

ostile17

After the positive cases in Krasnoyarsk:

Irina Zhuk: departure of dancing couple Stepanova and Bukin for Krasnoyarsk in question

Hanna

Skating junkie
Well, according to Vaitsekhovskaya, ice dance alternatives and their coach (one of Khuda/Bazin and Samokhin) also tested positive, and they have already arrived to Krasnoyarsk.
Isn't he Kazakova/Reviya's coach, too? Now I fear.... :fragile:

Edit: Yeah might definitely be better for StepBukhs to not go to Krasnoyarsk at this point. Or anyone. Is that an option or is it mandatory for them?

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
There is also a lengthy Russian article in sports.ru that states while Kolyada likely could have recovered in time to travel for the men's event, Russia didn't want to take any chances since it would impact his training and likely make him unavailable for the team event.

This seems ... harsh.

What's the big deal with just taking him out of the team event, letting him prepare and then travel on his own, if possible?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Kolyada has tested positive for ********* and is out of the Olympics.
This has got to be just absolutely gutting for these skaters. You work your whole life. You skate when you are tired. You skate when you fall. Everyday you get to the rink and skate, practice, try to perfect. All with an Olympic Dream.
Then two weeks before, you have the horrific luck to get the crud. In spite of the fact that I always have told my kids that life is not fair...............this is NOT FAIR!

Ka3sha

Edit: Yeah might definitely be better for StepBukhs to not go to Krasnoyarsk at this point. Or anyone. Is that an option or is it mandatory for them?
Not mandatory, especially under these circumstances. However, the situation in Moscow itn't better, to say the truth.
I guess Morozova/Bagin, who are now the 1st alternatives, will also stay in Moscow for now, especially since they are training all together.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Totally understandable............tragic, but a harsh reality.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Match TV confirmed positive tests for Egor Bazin and Denis Samokhin.
A lot of people have been carping on how causal a lot of the Russian skating community has been about the crud. Having so many positives like this at this time does seem to suggest they were correct about this.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Notably, the article says this happened before he left for the training camp in Krasnoyarsk.
I couldn't open the link, so I don't know what the article says.

The really bad thing is he may have infected others at the training camp.

This could turn out to be very bad for Russia.

soogar

To be honest, seeing how lax a lot of the Russian team and journalists were in Tallinn I am not surprised at the further positives. :shuffle:
I think Eteri is going to maintain her bubble. Mishin‘s group has always been lax with Covid. I think Eterie will do everything possible to ensure that her pair team and female skaters will be Covid free so they can compete.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
After the positive cases in Krasnoyarsk:

Irina Zhuk: departure of dancing couple Stepanova and Bukin for Krasnoyarsk in question

I hope StepBuk skip Krasnoyarsk. Also everyone who is not already there.

ostile17

No, no, no!!! Not StepBukin, please, after what they went through four years ago. The article is rather vague. Hope that they’re just skipping Krasnoyarsk and still going to Beijing.
Well, they were supposed to leave for Krasnoyarsk tomorrow but as Zhuk mentioned, their departure is now in question. I'm sure they will be smart enough to skip it!!

Nikita and Vika have left for Krasnoyarsk on Sunday (as per Nikita's IG) so they are already there...
If they end up not making it to Beijing, it could even mean an Olympic podium for S/B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information