Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
What does it even mean that someone can't coach in the US? Can they be banned from private rinks where they are hired by parents as private coaches? Does it mean that the NHL or a university couldn't hire them as a skating skills coach?

They can be banned from being credentialed and from being hired where the internal rules require professional accreditation, which might be revoked, or professional membership, which may be able to be revoked or denied, but I don't see how that stops people from coaching.

Vagabond

But he can, possibly just not in the US.
The complaint may lead to a ban in Canada. As a practical matter, even without a formal ban enforceable elsewhere, his prospects would be limited. His reputation would precede him.

Former Lurve Goddess

Not to be unkind or put any burden on you specifically, but that will take a rather large effort of athletes and other interested parties to lobby for and demand for that to be accomplished. Instead of (or in addition to) complaining here about this specific allegation, perhaps such energy and passion should be spent actively engaged in that effort, as difficult as that may be.
Hah, just what I need. ;) Another cause to get caught up in:drama:. And yes, an international safesport body would be a huge undertaking requiring cooperation from a number of parties who likely won't want to cooperate. But a goddess can dream:). And this thread has prompted me to donate to Gymnasts for Change who have been at forefront of speaking up for women athletes and advocating against abuse in Canadian sport.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
The complaint may lead to a ban in Canada. As a practical matter, even without a formal ban enforceable elsewhere, his prospects would be limited. His reputation would precede him.
You would think so.

And yet, parents are lined up around the block to send their athlete kids to be coached by coaches with known abusive behaviour.

It wouldn’t be me though with my kid.

Vagabond

You would think so.

And yet, parents are lined up around the block to send their athlete kids to be coached by coaches with known abusive behaviour.

It wouldn’t be me though with my kid.
Which is the point. Regardless of what happens to the complaint, his coaching prospects have dimmed, and they will dim further if the he loses.

We live in an imperfect world, but loss of earning potential for him and further healing for her is probably the best achievable outcome here.

Judy

Yes, it's true that CBC has had to face budget cuts, but that does not excuse CBC Sports from completely cutting all figure skating TV coverage.

Canada is a top country in figure skating and we always got TV coverage of major events before. To not even have any TV coverage of Canadian Nationals or a World Championships taking place here in Canada is unacceptable.

CBC Sports gives hours and hours of TV coverage to hockey and other sports, so you think they could at least spare a few hours for TV coverage for figure skating.
Yeah I know but they no longer get all the hockey. 2 days before NYE CBC announced they were cutting traditional coverage of festivities and celebrations throughout city/provinces. I personally don’t watch television coverage but CBC is largely funded by government due to Cdn content. Figure skating is important to fans here but .. 🤷‍♀️they need to get rid of her. She was moved down to an interim position at some point before this too. Anyways .. complicated there’s moe to it but ….it’s also a very political decision to cut funding.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Which is the point. Regardless of what happens to the complaint, his coaching prospects have dimmed, and they will dim further if the he loses.

We live in an imperfect world, but loss of earning potential for him and further healing for her is probably the best achievable outcome here.
My point is that I don’t think there will be a shortage of coaching work for him unfortunately unless there is a ban because most parents don’t seem to care as long as they think their child will be “a champion.”

Everyone calls me a helicopter parent so my response is not a good one to go by. :lol:

Judy

My point is that I don’t think there will be a shortage of coaching work for him unfortunately unless there is a ban because most parents don’t seem to care as long as they think their child will be “a champion.”

Everyone calls me a helicopter parent so my response is not a good one to go by. :lol:
The majority of parents would react as you and you’re not a helicopter mom.

i highly doubt he’s focussed on coaching now anyways. It’s a serious accusation.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Yeah I know but they no longer get all the hockey. 2 days before NYE CBC announced they were cutting traditional coverage of festivities and celebrations throughout city/provinces. I personally don’t watch television coverage but CBC is largely funded by government due to Cdn content. Figure skating is important to fans here but .. 🤷‍♀️they need to get rid of her. She was moved down to an interim position at some point before this too. Anyways .. complicated there’s moe to it but ….it’s also a very political decision to cut funding.
For the benefit of this uneducated, rude person in the lower 48, who is "her"?

pat c

You're not a helicopter parent. :)

I'll add, a lot of parents don't bother to find out anything about their coaches either.

AnnM

Rape is assault and violence. What happens when someone is accused of a violent attack?

Are they allowed to continue to work until a trial? Are they allowed to interact with potential victims? (I really don't know)

For an at-will employee, which is the most common type of employment, it's really up to the employer whether someone can continue working for the company.

As for interacting with victims, the court will usually put a no contact or a no negative contact order in place during the pendency of the case, and that same type of order is a typical condition of sentencing, probation, or parole. A criminal restraining order can also be filed.

ETA: If you mean potential victim as in any other possible person who could be a victim, it really depends on the specifics of the case. It's not unusual for those accused of child sexual abuse to be prohibited from having unsupervised contact with minors while a case is pending (tailored to the facts of the case).

Last edited:

skateblessing

I´m happy they WD for the sake of the other athletes, but it surely with a bad taste in the mouth reading Nikolaj claiming the allegations are false and he is going to prove it and Laurence indirectly saying she believes him in the statement.

It´s like they are trying to build image to be caring people choosing to WD because of the others athletes...

Willin

While I agree it was best for them to withdraw, Laurence should be ready for all of the hate.

Yes, maybe she does know him as a "man of integrity, respect and kindness," but do you really think it's a good idea to go that route in your statement. People are two-faced - so I could totally believe she only knows him as a nice person. But she does realize that it makes it sound like she is discounting the survivor, right?

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
While I agree it was best for them to withdraw, Laurence should be ready for all of the hate.

Yes, maybe she does know him as a "man of integrity, respect and kindness," but do you really think it's a good idea to go that route in your statement. People are two-faced - so I could totally believe she only knows him as a nice person. But she does realize that it makes it sound like she is discounting the survivor, right?
I couldn’t disagree with you more.
if a testimony is enough, then what is the point of any investigation or any due process? I think if anyone aside from his parents is allowed to take his side, especially during this investigation it’s her. If she, while being in a relationship with him for many years, now can quickly switch to thinking that he’s capable of something like this, who has she been sharing her privacy with and what does this say about her? It would be shocking if she was anything else, but believing in his innocence at this point. I think it’s deeply problematic that so many think that heinous acts are committed by monsters, who have it written all over the face all the time. Some of the most monstrous acts in human history were done by devoted fathers, beloved, husbands, and greatest of brothers. Women are also capable of horrible things as well it’s just statistically ect.

Colonel Green

I´m happy they WD for the sake of the other athletes, but it surely with a bad taste in the mouth reading Nikolaj claiming the allegations are false and he is going to prove it and Laurence indirectly saying she believes him in the statement.

It´s like they are trying to build image to be caring people choosing to WD because of the others athletes...

At the end of day, clearly Laurence does believe him (or is trying to; no real point in trying to guess her exact mindset), since she is still with him — both personally and professionally. I think everyone would assume that by her conduct. I don’t think she loses anything by saying as much.

Not really surprising, either, given that she has invested ten years of her life plus her plans for her future in Nikolaj. That’s not something people will easily walk away from, generally.

skateblessing

At the end of day, clearly Laurence does believe him (or is trying to; no real point in trying to guess her exact mindset), since she is still with him — both personally and professionally. I think everyone would assume that by her conduct. I don’t think she loses anything by saying as much.

Not really surprising, either, given that she has invested ten years of her life plus her plans for her future in Nikolaj. That’s not something people will easily walk away from, generally.
Yeah it´s not really surprising considering their relationship but it´s seems unwise. She could have left that sentence out. Say something about that they wait for the investigation to be done or something and that the investigation would serve justice or something.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Yeah it´s not really surprising considering their relationship but it´s seems unwise. She could have left that sentence out. Say something about that they wait for the investigation to be done or something and that the investigation would serve justice or something.
Well she sort of said that as well..

Debbie S

Yep, whether or not SC asked them to WD, these statements are carefully crafted to make Nik into a sympathetic figure.

And I see Guillaume has liked both posts. Given the response to the allegations against Coughlin and others, I suspect most in IAM are aligned with Laurence's statement.

Willin

Exactly my point. Regardless of what you think about everything else - due process and all that - it is received very, very poorly when you discount any victim's statements. And while the rest of the statement was fine, that one particular sentence is going to get her a lot of hate.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yep, whether or not SC asked them to WD, these statements are carefully crafted to make Nik into a sympathetic figure.

And I see Guillaume has liked both posts. Given the response to the allegations against Coughlin and others, I suspect most in IAM are aligned with Laurence's statement.
This where it may get ugly for the accuser, if people seem to rally around the accused.

Anyone who believes there should be due process for the accused should also believe there should be due process for the accuser and hold their tongues until the process is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information