Karen Chen Withdraws from 2019 US Nationals

Sylvia

TBD
Here's her 2-part tweet:
with a broken heart, I’ve decided to sit out Nationals this year. While I’m extremely disappointed, this season I’ve learned to put my health first. I had planned to come back strong and confident at Nationals, but I know that putting that determination towards recovery and...
preparing for next season is ultimately the best decision I can make to reach my goals. I’ll miss being in Detroit, but I’m excited to cheer my teammates on!
It's nice to see she is getting support from fans on Twitter. ETA that she has posted the same message on her IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOVDa_HciY/

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I think that this is it for her, unfortunately
In this case i am not even 90% sure that this is it. She can still come back if she dives into skating with "Gold 2022 and nothing else" in mind.

I did read in an interview that she is applying to universities (not posting the interview, because it's about boots).
Karen said the University of Michigan is a possibility but she also will explore schools on the East Coast and the University of California campuses.

concorde

Poor Karen. Talk about a rollar coaster ride she has had. When she is "on" she is spectucular!

She can still come back if she dives into skating with "Gold 2022 and nothing else" in mind.

I thought awhile back she announced that she would not be completing this quad.

insideedgeua

I certainly wouldn’t write her off completely. She’s been back on ice and doing consistent triples.

In my opinion she’s just not quite ready at this point. If I had to guess, I’d say another 3-6 months would make a big difference. That said, Skating is full of ups and downs and I can’t ptedict the future, so who knows. I really do hope she’s able to find her way back to her top form.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
:rolleyes: She didn't say she was never coming back. She wouldn't be the first US lady to have a couple of bad seasons and then come back and do even better than before (coughAshleyWagnercough).
I think it's different for Karen though. I love her skating but it seems to me that her body can't handle the demands of being an elite figure skater and that's a hard nut to crack. Remember she has issues with the discs in her spine as well as the foot issue(s).

Tinami Amori

Maybe.. but then why would she consider skating at 2019 nationals?

anywhoo... this girl has some of my favorite Exhibition numbers, where she pays respect to her Chinese heritage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Y-bzrkJlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHQBVavigk

I kind of like it that P. Edmunds, N. Chen, K. Chen, won their National title, made it to the Olympics, earned medals at GP and other events, but when time comes @ 18/19 years of age, they are going to college. That's is normal healthy life imo.

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai has been quoted saying this after the Olympics.
I certainly wouldn’t write her off completely. She’s been back on ice and doing consistent triples.

In my opinion she’s just not quite ready at this point. If I had to guess, I’d say another 3-6 months would make a big difference.
Thanks for the info.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No surprise after her weak showing at her recent autumn challenger event in Estonia.

Wishing her well in her future endeavors, whether or not they include skating. 💕

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I'm sorry. I haven't been keeping up. Was Karen injured? What happened to her. I will definitely miss her at Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm sorry. I haven't been keeping up. Was Karen injured?
Karen was dealing with a foot injury last September (her right foot was pictured in a walking boot on her IG) and subsequently withdrew from the U.S. International Classic and both her Grand Prix events. She attempted to make her season debut at Tallinn Trophy in late November but withdrew after the SP (52.93, 9th place; jumps were 3Lz+1T, 2A, 3Lo fall).

FiveRinger

Karen was dealing with a foot injury last September (her right foot was pictured in a walking boot on her IG) and subsequently withdrew from the U.S. International Classic and both her Grand Prix events. She attempted to make her season debut at Tallinn Trophy in late November but withdrew after the SP (52.93, 9th place; jumps were 3Lz+1T, 2A, 3Lo fall).
Thank you! :)

concorde

Maybe.. but then why would she consider skating at 2019 nationals?

anywhoo... this girl has some of my favorite Exhibition numbers, where she pays respect to her Chinese heritage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Y-bzrkJlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHQBVavigk

I kind of like it that P. Edmunds, N. Chen, K. Chen, won their National title, made it to the Olympics, earned medals at GP and other events, but when time comes @ 18/19 years of age, they are going to college. That's is normal healthy life imo.

The way I remember the comment is she would start the quad but not be completing it. At the time I thought it probably had to do with giving her younger brother (an ice dancer) a chance to reach his goals (meaning the parents could not afford to have 2 elite skaters). So I don't think I have the wrong skater.

I agree that 18-19 and done is not a bad approach. National champion, Olympian - nice stuff to include on a resume regardless of age.

Frida80

The way I remember the comment is she would start the quad but not be completing it. At the time I thought it probably had to do with giving her younger brother (an ice dancer) a chance to reach his goals (meaning the parents could not afford to have 2 elite skaters). So I don't think I have the wrong skater.

I agree that 18-19 and done is not a bad approach. National champion, Olympian - nice stuff to include on a resume regardless of age.

That was definitely Mirai that said that. During all of late season, she said that she would be continuing for a few seasons but not going out for another Olympics. Karen has said nothing about just two years. She has mentioned that the cost was a concern.

Carolla5501

I think that this is it for her, unfortunately
good thing you aren’t part of her team

I think it's different for Karen though. I love her skating but it seems to me that her body can't handle the demands of being an elite figure skater and that's a hard nut to crack. Remember she has issues with the discs in her spine as well as the foot issue(s).

Perhaps we should leave medical diagnosis to medical professionals?

UGG

I don’t think Karen was mentally ready to be an Olympian and her career will be non existent because of it. Posting a reason why she possibly wouldn’t skate well before she even skated, and dragging a sponsor through the mud at the same time is really telling. I don’t believe her intentions were hostile, but that was a huge mistake.

Carolla5501

I don’t think Karen was mentally ready to be an Olympian and her career will be non existent because of it. Posting a reason why she possibly wouldn’t skate well before she even skated, and dragging a sponsor through the mud at the same time is really telling. I don’t believe her intentions were hostile, but that was a huge mistake.

Her sponsor also drug her through the mat. And I think perhaps it’s time for me to add someone else to my ignore list. This post was just trashing because it made you feel good.

Spun Silver

She's not frozen in time with that one mistake forever. In a season when Michal Brezina made it to the GPF, I'd hope we fans would have the humility to admit that we don't know the future for any skater. Good luck to her!

skatfan

She's not frozen in time with that one mistake forever. In a season when Michal Brezina made it to the GPF, I'd hope we fans would have the humility to admit that we don't know the future for any skater. Good luck to her!

Indeed. Karen is young, she's been injured and realizes after that Challenge competition and further training that she isn't ready fore more compeitition. No one can see the future. I hope she can give it another go.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
ITA with others here. Karen is young, and I hope to see her return in the future. Just because she's withdrawn now doesn't mean it's the end. It's left up to her, and whatever she decides to do, I wish her the very best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information