Karen Chen Withdraws from 2019 US Nationals

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Indeed. Karen is young, she's been injured and realizes after that Challenge competition and further training that she isn't ready fore more compeitition. No one can see the future. I hope she can give it another go.
She wasn't just injured, she was a mess. I read through her bio to see what her injury was.............everything and then some. She had a deep bruise to her thigh after a collision during a practice. Boot problems that became legendary. Trainer hopping. Program ditching.

I saw Karen at SOI....she was breath taking. Way too many excuses (even if they are real issues). Perhaps she should find something to do that is not so taxing on her body.

Carolla5501

She wasn't just injured, she was a mess. I read through her bio to see what her injury was.............everything and then some. She had a deep bruise to her thigh after a collision during a practice. Boot problems that became legendary. Trainer hopping. Program ditching.

I saw Karen at SOI....she was breath taking. Way too many excuses (even if they are real issues). Perhaps she should find something to do that is not so taxing on her body.

Like pretend to be an expert on a message board hiding behind a made-up name? She’s done a lot more than I expect you’ve ever accomplished on skates.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

On top of all of that, Mother Nature seems to have taken over.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don’t think Karen was mentally ready to be an Olympian and her career will be non existent because of it. Posting a reason why she possibly wouldn’t skate well before she even skated, and dragging a sponsor through the mud at the same time is really telling. I don’t believe her intentions were hostile, but that was a huge mistake.

She didn't drag her sponsor through the mud. She didn't name her boot sponsor or insult them in the Instagram post she made about the problems with her skates. It was the boot sponsor, Avanta, who blew the whole thing up and insulted *her*. Here is Avanta's post which includes Chen's original post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf9GSS7H2nQ/

And yes, Avanta's post is still up on the web despite the message several months ago here at FSU saying that the post was "in the process of being removed" :rolleyes:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

A) injuries aren't always just one thing. Body mechanics are a tricky thing- one problem can cause you to overcompensate somewhere else. Jumping and turning 3 times isn't natural and if something is a little off with your body and/or equipment it can all get worse. I know some people never struggle but some do and its hard to get the train back on track. Even our Olympic champion is having some huge struggles at times this season. I am surprised that you are surprised that this can happen or think this is a fake injury because whatever terrible research you did isn't conclusive.

B) If something is a "real issue", then how is it also an excuse? What are you trying to say? It feels like you are enjoying these problems and somehow feel triumphant rehashing stuff from a year ago to make the point that this skater is just flaky or whatever.

C) Karen was a National champion a couple years ago. Sure, everyone should have a backup plan. But that doesn't change that she could still have a lot more of a future in this sport. How much money and time do you need to spend to get to National champ and 4th in the world? And you feel like you are qualified to judge that she should just stop now because she has had some problems? GMAFB.

Sorry this post is confrontational, but it is hard to see the narrative you are trying to create. What is so wrong with, "that's a bummer, better luck next year"? Which many are saying/have said. What are you gaining by being so nasty about her? Its just so mean and uncalled for. And I'm glad she was breathtaking at SOI. Sounds like a nice time.

GOOD LUCK KAREN. She have given us some absolutely stunning performances on occasion! I look forward to those who are competing this year, but hope Karen is happy with her career as it stands, and is able to continue if she wishes.

Re: the boot stuff, that post by Avanta was super nuts, even if Karen did mangle her boots on her own. If she had posted that pic saying #avantasucks or #avantaproblems then I could sorta get it. But #bootproblems does not assign blame to the maker. Way overreaction there IMO.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
A) injuries aren't always just one thing. Body mechanics are a tricky thing- one problem can cause you to overcompensate somewhere else. Jumping and turning 3 times isn't natural and if something is a little off with your body and/or equipment it can all get worse. I know some people never struggle but some do and its hard to get the train back on track. Even our Olympic champion is having some huge struggles at times this season. I am surprised that you are surprised that this can happen or think this is a fake injury because whatever terrible research you did isn't conclusive.

B) If something is a "real issue", then how is it also an excuse? What are you trying to say? It feels like you are enjoying these problems and somehow feel triumphant rehashing stuff from a year ago to make the point that this skater is just flaky or whatever.

C) Karen was a National champion a couple years ago. Sure, everyone should have a backup plan. But that doesn't change that she could still have a lot more of a future in this sport. How much money and time do you need to spend to get to National champ and 4th in the world? And you feel like you are qualified to judge that she should just stop now because she has had some problems? GMAFB.

Sorry this post is confrontational, but it is hard to see the narrative you are trying to create. What is so wrong with, "that's a bummer, better luck next year"? Which many are saying/have said. What are you gaining by being so nasty about her? Its just so mean and uncalled for. And I'm glad she was breathtaking at SOI. Sounds like a nice time.

GOOD LUCK KAREN. She have given us some absolutely stunning performances on occasion! I look forward to those who are competing this year, but hope Karen is happy with her career as it stands, and is able to continue if she wishes.

Re: the boot stuff, that post by Avanta was super nuts, even if Karen did mangle her boots on her own. If she had posted that pic saying #avantasucks or #avantaproblems then I could sorta get it. But #bootproblems does not assign blame to the maker. Way overreaction there IMO.
I am neither accusatory nor am I trying to create a narrative. And yes body mechanics are complicated.

Try to favor your knee it's going to show up somewhere else
Boot products...when it is easy to see who the boot maker is...is bad form. I wish her well. I don't think we will see her back though. I wish there was a viable pro circuit for her.

skatfan

I am glad you are giving us the benefit of your vast knowledge of Karen, her issues, and her prognosis for the future. If only the rest of us had your unique perspective! :rolleyes:

Clutz

Banned Member
Like pretend to be an expert on a message board hiding behind a made-up name? She’s done a lot more than I expect you’ve ever accomplished on skates.

Does anyone know where Karen Chen is? I somehow can see Carolla5501 standing over her "she puts the lotion on her skin or else she gets the hose again". You're BSC

Japanfan

Boot products...when it is easy to see who the boot maker is...is bad form.

I never knew that boot makers were supposed to be confidential.

This whole situation was just a series of unfortunate circumstances.

As has been rehashed at length in the earlier thread, the bootmaker's behaviour was unacceptable - very unprofessional, regardless of whether the company felt the situation unfair to it. And behaving unprofessionally probably tarnished its image and reputation, which could well cost it business.

kwanatic

I'm relieved Karen withdrew TBH. It was clear from Tallinn that she is nowhere near ready to make a convincing return at nationals. More importantly I'm glad she's taking the time to complete heal this injury. Rushing back too soon isn't going to help her at all. Nothing is going on with the US women right now...she has time to take the season off, heal, regroup, get back in shape and then show up at the summer events ready to throw down.

Karen has so much talent but there always seems to be something holding her back. 3 years of boot problems, on going injuries, etc. I am curious to see what a healthy Karen with no boot problems can do. I wish her a speedy recovery.

UGG

Her sponsor also drug her through the mat. And I think perhaps it’s time for me to add someone else to my ignore list. This post was just trashing because it made you feel good.

Made me feel good about what? That Karen isn’t competing at nationals? Lol ummm ok 🙄

Carolla5501

Made me feel good about what? That Karen isn’t competing at nationals? Lol ummm ok 🙄

I assume you get your thrills belittling others. Otherwise there’s no way you would have been so quick to judge and assume you know everything about Karen based on your “knowledge”

UGG

I assume you get your thrills belittling others. Otherwise there’s no way you would have been so quick to judge and assume you know everything about Karen based on your “knowledge”

It’s just my opinion it has nothing to do with thrills. This whole board is filled opinions and armchair philosophy. 🤷‍♀️ I have posted here for 14 years and although not as regular as others, I have never been a dissing thrill seeker lol

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Boot products...when it is easy to see who the boot maker is...is bad form.

FFS. You most certainly are trying to "create a narrative" by posting inaccurate BS like this. The picture that Chen posted on Instagram is a close-up of one part of the boot's sole. There is absolutely no way to tell from that photo who the bootmaker is.

"Bad form" is the bootmaker outing itself by responding to her post and insulting her.

Tinami Amori

FFS. You most certainly are trying to "create a narrative" by posting inaccurate BS like this. The picture that Chen posted on Instagram is a close-up of one part of the boot's sole. There is absolutely no way to tell from that photo who the bootmaker is.

"Bad form" is the bootmaker outing itself by responding to her post and insulting her.
Posting that foto on IG is only small part of the story. It does not matter if the IG foto does not show name Avanta.
Karen is a US top skater, people in skating know her boots are from Avanta. They were her official sponsors, and word gets around, especially if it is mentioned in the press.

Pre-olympic press coverage for Karen listed Avanta boots as her sponsor and mentioned in the articles.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...illed-with-slips-and-misses-for-skating-star/
Avanta boots named their Karen Chen specials, K1, K2, K3 and so on.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/30/karen-chen-has-another-cold-but-shes-not-panicking/
Chen also returns to the Bay Area at least once every two weeks because her bootmaker, Avanta, is located in Hayward, where her dad now lives.

Besides Karen's IG post, she also gave several interviews, specifically mentioning the boot problem, to major publications and reporters.
https://people.com/sports/winter-olympics-2018-karen-chen-boot-troubles/

... and then there were personal interactions between Avanta management and Karen's family.

VGThuy

I think with Karen's constant boot issues, nobody blamed the manufacturer for her issues but rather felt Karen was one of those people who may have some special physical issue that made boot fitting difficult for her OR she was highly accident prone with her boots. Mirai had similar boot issues as well and she actually named her former brand when speaking about moving on to another brand and singing her new brand's praises. Nobody really cared when she did that and her former brand ignored that comment and from what I can tell are still a top selling skating boot manufacturer. They didn't feel the need to act unprofessional and childish. Camden Pulkinen showed an image of a boot problem recently as well. In fact, skaters would show boot issues in the past to little-to-no controversy as nobody would reasonably blame the manufacturer as most people would think it was the skater overworking it or just unfortunate timing. Nathan Chen went public about going through a great number of boots and pacing them so they won't break down at the big comps like how they were taped and on their last legs at Worlds 2017. Nobody blamed the boot manufacturer nor did they give Nathan crap about being public about it on IG. 2001 Worlds did a huge segment about Kwan's boot coming undone during the Qualification round warm-up and Danny Kwan having to screw it back together in time for her to skate. She managed a 7 triple performance, and I don't remember people saying she was giving that boot manufacturer a bad name.

I honestly can see people being annoyed or critical of Karen if she was mostly at fault for the shape of her boot was in by the Olympics, if she was being immature with showing it, and was adopting a loser mindset to make people expect what would be a shoddy performance at the Olympics. I also would understand if a manufacturer would be annoyed if her family put them through hoops with nasty attitudes and decided not to work with them again. What I don't get is how anybody could DEFEND Avanta's behavior on social media and how they decided to react to Karen Chen and what they said about her. IMO, the things they said and the way they said it was indefensible and quite shocking to see people agreeing with a fully grown man and business owner acting like that. It says a lot about them to be quite honest, and nothing respectable. It was despicable and nothing else.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I don’t think Karen was mentally ready to be an Olympian and her career will be non existent because of it. Posting a reason why she possibly wouldn’t skate well before she even skated, and dragging a sponsor through the mud at the same time is really telling. I don’t believe her intentions were hostile, but that was a huge mistake.
A person (athlete or otherwise) can have motivations and intentions but in reality, an injury (or other circumstance) is a barrier to going forward. Writing her off because she didn't meet your expectations at the Olympics...? Any athlete can have an injury that doesn't heal in time for the current season, so that is not dragging a sponsor through the mud. There is always risk with this sport even in training to get ready for any competition.
Jason Brown for example. Give his journey some thought, and his result in the GP in France.

coppertop1

A skater announces their withdrawal and has a couple of bad seasons, so let’s write her off. People give up on skaters way too easily. Have all the naysayers forgot Mirai Nagasu struggled for several years before finding her way back and makings the Olympic Team last year?

insideedgeua

I wouldn’t write her off. It’s not like she’s sitting at home, she’s still training and working on elements with greater technical difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information