Kaetlyn Osmond retires from competition

Colonel Green

The skater that handed Zagitova her only loss that year. Glad she will go out on a high
Technically she was one of four skaters to beat Zagitova on that particular day.

Canadian ladies’ skating was in the dumps for two years after Joannie left the stage, at which point she emerged like a bolt from the blue to make things exciting again.

And then we had all those years where it looked like she’d never be allowed to be healthy enough to realize her potential.

Finally, the skate gods made it up to her in her last two competitive seasons (and her last two competitions, especially). It was a bumpy ride to glory, but she made it.

I figured based on her interviews in recent months that this was coming. She’s sounded very content with what she’s accomplished already, which is wonderful for her, as even many skaters with more big titles don’t get that — but it’s not a recipe for continued motivation to compete, given how gruelling that is.

Tinami Amori

She always beat Zagitova in the SP more than once.
Technically she was one of four skaters to beat Zagitova on that particular day.
No, not always... ;). Plus, her FS scores often dropped, and except for Worlds 2018, she has not beat Zagitova in face to face that year, not in GPF or in GP-France. She also lost Nationals to Daleman that year.

To be fair, Osmond was 4th in SP at 2018 Worlds, and came in first because both Kostner and Zag had not just made regular mistakes, but had major meltdowns. Had they all skated clean, or with minor mistakes, the scores might have been different. Her medals are all just, however. no questions.

Colonel Green

To be fair, Osmond was 4th in SP at 2018 Worlds, and came in first because both Kostner and Zag had not just made regular mistakes, but had major meltdowns. Had they all skated clean, or with minor mistakes, the scores might have been different. Her medals are all just, however. no questions.
That was my point. The free skate at Worlds was a triumph for Kaetlyn (especially given how exhausted she apparently was), but I don’t really think of it has handing Alina a loss; Alina had a really rough event, and finished behind four skaters, not just Kaetlyn. To date, the only person I would characterize as having “handed her a loss” at the senior level would be Rika at the Grand Prix Final.

Unrelatedly, whatever disappointments Kaetlyn had in her later years, she had a knack for saving her best work for the bigtime. She was never left like (for instance) Patrick Chan mourning those perfect programs at 2013 TEB that he desperately needed a few months later. Her best events were 2017 Worlds, the 2018 Olympics, and 2018 Worlds.

coppertop1

Oops, I didn't realize I said always. I meant also

That was my point. The free skate at Worlds was a triumph for Kaetlyn (especially given how exhausted she apparently was), but I don’t really think of it has handing Alina a loss; Alina had a really rough event, and finished behind four skaters, not just Kaetlyn. To date, the only person I would characterize as having “handed her a loss” at the senior level would be Rika at the Grand Prix Final.

Unrelatedly, whatever disappointments Kaetlyn had in her later years, she had a knack for saving her best work for the bigtime. She was never left like (for instance) Patrick Chan mourning those perfect programs at 2013 TEB that he desperately needed a few months later. Her best events were 2017 Worlds, the 2018 Olympics, and 2018 Worlds.

Definitely. Kaetlyn peaked when at the most important events, which is the time to do it. She was a clutch skater. I also think losing her national titles to Gabby Daleman helped motivate her and lit a fire under her.

Osmond4gold

She was the real deal and the total package if there ever was one. I feel blessed to have seen her compete live and watched as the audience were left spellbound by her natural jumping ability, speed, power, grace, musicality and presentation. For me, Edith Piaf and the Black Swan can now officially retire, as others will always pale in comparison.

What a wonderful ride it has been...thank you Kaetlyn!

Last edited:

shutterbug

I was expecting the formal announcement would be coming, but it's still tough to see in black and white. My girl. :fragile: :wuzrobbed In my nearly 50 years in and around the sport, she is the only female skater I have ever genuinely ubered. I will miss her big, bold, beautiful skating, and the joy and positive energy she brought to every competition. It has been such a privilege to follow along on her competitive journey. I wish all the best things in the world for her as she moves on to the next chapter. :cheer2:

Finsta

That’s sport though. If so and so skate clean they would’ve won, but didn’t. Nothing can change what happened. That’s like saying if Rika had skated clean at worlds she would’ve won. But she didn’t. That’s sport. It is not incorrect that Osmond gave Zagitova her only loss. And those other skaters too.

The main point: Osmond is a gorgeous skater and deserves the best after competition skating.

paskatefan

Not surprised by the announcement, but I will absolutely miss Kaetlyn in competition, but thrilled that she went out on a high note after such a marvelous competitive season. Still hope we get to see her in shows (in the USA, please). All the best to her! :cheer2::encore:

aftershocks

Banned Member
To be fair, Osmond was 4th in SP at 2018 Worlds, and came in first because both Kostner and Zag had not just made regular mistakes, but had major meltdowns. Had they all skated clean, or with minor mistakes, the scores might have been different.

If, if, if... :rofl: If Michelle Kwan had beat 3-loop/ 3-loop Tara Lipinski in '98 and 3/3 jump URing Sarah Hughes in '02, wowza, would MK be even more of a boffo :kickass: icon! :glamor:

Probably not! Because it was in part how MK handled her Olympics gold medal losses that further endeared our Kween to the masses. :D Now (beyond all the record gold medals and perfect scores), MK is a :kickass: Public Diplomacy phenom, and a Political Presidential Campaign Surrogate Extraordinaire, among numerous other achievements and honors beyond figure skating !!! Maybe one day soon, MK will take on an important role in a newly revived and well fumigated White House! Clean the reeking swamp, indeed!
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100126220801/conearth/images/9/90/Broom_icon.png
[If only Hillary Clinton had beaten Trump's you know what!!! :(]

IOW, it always is what it is what it is, and what it will be. Good luck to Osmond in all her future endeavors! :watch:

BTW, it truly only matters where Kaetlyn Osmond ended up overall at 2018 Worlds, and as we know, that was on top of the podium!!!
http://vocm.com/wp-content/uploads/...orld-CHampion-Figure-Skating-Skate-Canada.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/03/23/22/wire-2565096-1521842742-702_634x415.jpg

Osmond also will always own her silver medal at 2017 Worlds! :D
http://vocm.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Kaetlyn-Osmond-Silver-Medal-Skate-Canada.jpg

aftershocks

Banned Member
... the Black Swan can now officially retire, as others will always pale in comparison.

I agree that no one else needs to tackle it... That said, years into the future, who knows? Whoever does try another version, need not bother unless they are planning to truly bring it! Ashley Wagner's Black Swan, was surely an inspiration for Kaetlyn's. And in any case, Kaetlyn was only just getting there with her interpretation. There was still so much more for her to explore and refine with that program. :encore: Although, looking back again at K's 2018 Olympics fp, it was pretty g'd**n special and probably her best performance to Black Swan. This actually should be the 2018 Olympic gold medal winning ladies performance, IMHO. It was brilliant!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3PtbMLY9vY

Ashley's 2012 Black Swan inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_Fgh4Qwb4 (not better than Kaetlyn's interpretation, but certainly a ground-breaking catalyst)

I am seriously bummed that no one in figure skating has enuf creative oomph, vision, promotion savvy, thoughtful caring for fans and retired skaters, along with mucho big pockets connections to produce great ice shows in North America! Remember what Brian Boitano was able to wrought with great collaborators in bringing us the Emmy-award-winning HBO production of Carmen on Ice post 1988 Olympics!!! Why not a Black Swan on Ice extravaganza, starring Kaetlyn Osmond and Jeremy Abbott?!!! Why not??? :wuzrobbed :( Remember, you read the idea here first. ;)
How's this for some inspiration! :kickass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebdLsi032sQ Katarina Witt in a Carmen on Ice sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRy0_31zny0 full Carmen on Ice

puglover

Kaetlyn was such a joy to watch live as she bombed down the ice and flew into those big jumps coming out on such strong edges. IMO that is not often given the credit it deserves. I am so thrilled she has enjoyed success beyond her wildest dreams and now she can get on with other dreams. She seems to have been really busy since she stepped back from competition so I doubt she will be short of opportunities for as long as she wants them.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
A career for the ages ends at 23:
https://www.cbc.ca/playersvoice/ent...nsaFtODV4UG4-EOZGRoMXHApC8tDrwqH2Y0q0ndnn_w8c
"Some people don’t understand why I am doing this. Perhaps they think that I am scared of the talent rising in the figure skating community. This is not the case. I made the decision for myself, fully. I can’t say there was a specific moment or conversation that helped me decide to stop competing. It was more a series of events, starting back in 2014."

TV interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roe...gjNoTNO_y5im8-7QWCBhlZluePw471RPa-v9NKZHY6Vl0

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
She could have bombed at every other event, but being the first Canadian woman to win Worlds since 1973 is enough to make her one of Canada's best female skaters ever. (Although I'm glad she won some other things too ;) ). She's also been so important in showing that you don't have to live in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto or have a "famous" coach to do well in Canadian skating.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

She could have bombed at every other event, but being the first Canadian woman to win Worlds since 1973 is enough to make her one of Canada's best female skaters ever. (Although I'm glad she won some other things too ;) ). She's also been so important in showing that you don't have to live in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto or have a "famous" coach to do well in Canadian skating.

I see a lot of the same qualities in Aurora Cotop. She has that natural power Kaetlyn used to her advantage.

Japanfan

I still remember when she first came on the scene at Canadian Nationals - or the first time she made it to the television broadcast.

Rob Black said "She's the real deal". I could see it was true as I soon as saw I her skate, and it held true for her whole career.

I am sure going to miss her.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information