Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

I read that Meghan felt that she needed to go as a mother. As long as she knows what a privilege it is that she can do it (which I can't comment on because I don't know her but I like to give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she does), I have no problem with her doing it. I don't believe going would make a difference to me but I'm not a mother and it obviously does to her. So, since she can afford it, why not go? It's not like she and Harry have given us the impression that they normally don't care about kids. To the contrary.
Additionally, what Meghan does or doesn't do is probably the least of the problems in Uvalde.

becca

If Meghan wants to come here to Texas she can. I do think the community has way more things to worry about than what she does.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If Meghan wants to come here to Texas she can. I do think the community has way more things to worry about than what she does.
The people in the article seem pleased to have her. Plus she was actually working, not standing around giving the royal wave to her subjects. There is work to be done there and having another body to do it is helpful.

becca

The people in the article seem pleased to have her. Plus she was actually working, not standing around giving the royal wave to her subjects. There is work to be done there and having another body to do it is helpful.

Honestly I wasn’t trying to criticize her. Mine was ambivalence.

I am past caring to much what Meghan Markle is up to.

Royals have I am sure a lot of expectations in their visits.

This being said I do hope what happens in uvalde leads to some major changes.

JJH

I was happy to read that their arrival received some cheers. Daily Mail comments are relentless with disapproval and calls for rotten eggs and vegetables to be thrown at them (and worse) Are the comments on daily mail real or are they bots?

canbelto

I was happy to read that their arrival received some cheers. Daily Mail comments are relentless with disapproval and calls for rotten eggs and vegetables to be thrown at them (and worse) Are the comments on daily mail real or are they bots?

Daily Mail is infamous for its bot comments.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Daily Mail is infamous for its bot comments.

Yes. Provocative bot comments = more people sharing the article with "OMG look what this person said" = more website hits.

Just one of the many reasons why the Daily Mail is one of the most visited websites in the world....

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
A million years ago, my granddaughter was maybe 3 ish. Two boys much older. Well, Melanie couldn't pronounce "truck" she replaced the t with a f. Oh and the boys would egg her on and laugh. Well it was rather hilarious.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It wouldn't be a fairy tale without an evil stepsister.

There is always someone a family choose to be the scape goat.

In this incident Meghan has been named the evil step sister and given the role of scape goat. Although I believe that whoever Harry chose to marry, would be that person.
Well, she certainly deserved that. For some reason, she did not think that Royal Protocols did not apply to her.
I would love to know her thought process. I cannot believe that Harry didn't explain the dos/and dont's. Perhaps it was his

A Southern California the land of the do what feels good. i was a bad idea? He just kept serving her up on a platter.
live in
Was he being Subversive? " tending or intending to subvert or overthrow, destroy, or undermine an established or existing system, especially a legally constituted government or a set of beliefs. "

No one gave her princess lessons? British Royalty is an established institution. You are either going to join it or not, but you aren't going to change it.

Harry behaves in a passive aggressive manner .
Passive aggression stems from deep anger, hostility, and frustration that a person, for whatever reason, is not comfortable expressing directly. When dealing with passive-aggressive behavior, it’s important to understand that beneath all of those snide remarks lies a deep unhappiness and sadness.

And I think it must be difficult to live in William's shadow. To always be second. And Kate and William seldom make a mistep. And those children. OMG! And Kate an William seem to be doing a fabulous job with their kids. Louis on the Royal Balcony.....
There are some very funny videos to watch. He is a character. At one point he tries to get his grandmothers attention by pulling on her coat. :)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A million years ago, my granddaughter was maybe 3 ish. Two boys much older. Well, Melanie couldn't pronounce "truck" she replaced the t with a f. Oh and the boys would egg her on and laugh. Well it was rather hilarious.

What does this have to do with what you posted and what I responded to?

puglover

I am personally very happy that Harry and Meghan and their children are there and, I would imagine, a good deal of that is due to their love for the Queen and her love for all of her family. H & M have lives they seem to greatly enjoy in the U.S. but Harry has been very close to his grandmother and I think if he had not been there for this very special time for her he would have come to regret it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Well, she certainly deserved that. For some reason, she did not think that Royal Protocols did not apply to her.

I can't begin to count the ways that the linked article is uninformed or just plain wrong. But to choose just one example, there is a very good reason why Royals don't close their own car doors. It's for security. They can't see everything that's going on around them, and they might need to make a quick departure because of a possible threat. If they've shut the car door, that temporarily cuts off that route of escape. That's why their security is in charge of opening and closing their car doors.

ballettmaus

Harry is a grown man. He can make his own decisions. How dare Meghan have independent thoughts! William and Kate are living in the past. Their Caribbean tour was a disaster and so tone deaf.
I wouldn't say William and Kate are living in the past per se, I think the BRF as an institution is living in the past and holding on to protocols that are outdated and in desperate need of updating and education and this is past on from generation to generation. It's mind-blowing to think that William was the first heir to the throne who was allowed to remain in the line of succession even though he married a commoner and it's sad and infuriating that Charles didn't have the guts to say to hell with it all, I'm marrying Camilla whether you like it or not. I don't think he was raised that way but if he'd done that, he could have spared a lot of people a lot of suffering (and while Harry would not be Harry, I do think that this includes what Harry and Meghan went through. Things would have been very different had Charles been able to stand up for himself and the British monarchy might already be closer to the 21st century if he had).

I definitely think Harry had an advantage growing up because I would imagine that he had more liberties and was able to become a more independent person.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They both had one the day before as well. Maybe it's currently in hat fashion?
And Boris Johnson's wife. They all look ridiculous and they will look back in 20 years and either laugh or be embarrassed like we were about 80s fashions.

I would love to know her thought process.
I find it pretty amusing that you think Cosmopolitan is a definitive source for royal protocols.

But that said, I don't think she did think that Royal Protocols did not apply to her. But if she did, her thought process was probably that the royal institution is outdated, ridiculous, and needs to be shaken up a bit.

And if the BRF would seriously have been damaged by some of the silly stuff on this list then it really does need to go.

It's mind-blowing to think that William was the first heir to the throne who was allowed to remain in the line of succession even though he married a commoner and it's sad and infuriating that Charles didn't have the guts to say to hell with it all, I'm marrying Camilla whether you like it or not. I don't think he was raised that way but if he'd done that, he could have spared a lot of people a lot of suffering
It's not just Charles though. I don't think Camilla even seriously considered marrying him because she also was raised that way. So they'd both would have had to be able to throw off their upbringing to have made that happen.

skatfan

Harry is a grown man. He can make his own decisions. How dare Meghan have independent thoughts! William and Kate are living in the past. Their Caribbean tour was a disaster and so tone deaf.
This. That Caribbean tour was a huge mistake for William and Kate. The photo of of them shaking hand with black children through a fence was eye popping.

becca

This. That Caribbean tour was a huge mistake for William and Kate. The photo of of them shaking hand with black children through a fence was eye popping.
But in fairness I don’t they arranged that.

I don’t think anything Meghan did before the interview was really damaging.

That interview though was damaging IMO.

Harry was an equal part of course.

MsZem

I see the sea
William and Kate are living in the past.
Well, yes, literally - the monarchy is an historical institution, no matter how much of an effort has been made to modernize it.

They would have had some input, but there are people whose job it is to plan these things, and those people are not William and Kate.

I feel like both Harry & Meghan and William & Kate (I was temped to use initials as though they were ice dance teams :lol:) are doing the best they can, but they have very different roles and very different lives.

mella

Well, yes, literally - the monarchy is an historical institution, no matter how much of an effort has been made to modernize it.

They would have had some input, but there are people whose job it is to plan these things, and those people are not William and Kate.

I feel like both Harry & Meghan and William & Kate (I was temped to use initials as though they were ice dance teams :lol:) are doing the best they can, but they have very different roles and very different lives.
If the royal family are going to continue to preside over the commonwealth they have a responsibility to employ a team who collectively have a clue about the countries they are visiting and the cultural temperature of those places and the world in general. Whether that be W&K (;)) C&C, the Queen herself or the "men in suits" of the institution. Someone needs to get a grip on it.

W&K were the face of that trip. They have a responsibility to think about what they're doing at the very least.

Imo the photo of the children behind the fence had unfortunate optics but it seems likely it was an impromptu walkabout after a planned engagement. It happens. Could it have been avoided- probably but it would have been worse had they appeared to refuse to engage.

What i can't give the benefit of the doubt on are 1. the colonial style drive through that was clearly deliberately designed to reflect the Queen's visit of nearly 70 years ago.
2. the complete lack of understanding/ acknowledgement of what Bob Marley really stood for that seems likely given that part of the visit. Or maybe the irony was deliberate.

I'm not saying they're not doing their best (W&K personally in the context of their knowledge and experience) but the institution needs to do better and they need to be part of that.

The difference with H&M is that they're not part of the institution any more. If they cock it up they don't have a global population that they owe a responsibility to.

I find it interesting that Charles attended events when Barbados removed the Queen as Head of State and whilst not pitch perfect he did a far better job of being a respectful presence imo. And those were more challenging circumstances I would argue. Never thought I'd see the day I'm came out in favour of Charles.
Eta: it seemed like the Canada visit made some attempt at sensitivity to the First Nations history as well? Although if I had to guess I would imagine they felt it did not go far enough.

Sorry this should probably be in the Royals thread!

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Honestly, I think Great Britain should take the opportunity of the Jubilee to say: "Thank you for your long & successful service, Your Majesty, but you are a difficult act to follow, and let's allow your reign to stand as the best possible end to this instititution." and simply abolish the whole thing. :saint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information