Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

It depends on what the other books are. Maybe he wants to write a children's book or a fiction book. Or a self-help book that isn't a memoir. Unless they say, it's impossible to know at this point.
That makes sense. Would they all go through the same publisher, though? (Slightly related, I find it strange to call a book written by a youn(er) person memoir. I know that it's the term but I always associate a memoir with something that gets written once someone has reached old age and is looking back on their long life. Regardless of what he's been through already, it feels like Harry is far too young for a memoir).

How would the Windsor-Mountbattens know ANYTHING about those topics? The Art of the Grift Royale is more like it.
Harry, William and Kate established a mental health foundation, if memory serves. I also think Harry was actively involved in other causes. I certainly think mistakes have been made (on both sides) but I don't think it's fair to call him a grifter. The man has actively served his country in the military.

cygnus

How would the Windsor-Mountbattens know ANYTHING about those topics? The Art of the Grift Royale is more like it.
Here is a searchable list of the hundreds of charitable and service organizations that the royals are involved in. Some of them were created by the royals themselves (like The Princes Trust, created by Charles which has helped thousands of at-risk youth improve their lives), some are patronages. https://www.royal.uk/charities-and-...themes_target_id=24&field_world_region_value=

canbelto

The books could be children's books, or books on mental health struggles. Could be a coffee table book of Diana pix too. Harry surely must have some never-before-seen photos of Diana.

mjb52

I wish so much that Harry had been able to stay involved with the Invictus Games. It seemed to truly come from his heart and to give him a sense of purpose.

MLIS

He is still involved with Invictus, that was specifically not one of the patronages that was given to him by the Queen, and at the time she took back his patronages it was made clear that he would still be patron of Invictus. How involved he is with it currently, I don’t know, but that would be his choice, not the royal family’s. He is still listed as patron on the website (https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/foundation/governance/) and there are inspirational quotes from him all over the site.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
IIRC he did a video announcement last month saying when the next one would be (2023) - he seems to be very much still involved.

mjb52

That's good to know, I thought he had to step back from it when they did their step away from being royals.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I never understood taking the military titles. Does the Queen think no one will remember his military service? I think he earned every title & that it was petty to take them away.

Parsley Sage

I never understood taking the military titles. Does the Queen think no one will remember his military service? I think he earned every title & that it was petty to take them away.
Even the honourary titles in the branches that he didn't serve in? Those were the titles she took away, not the ones from his Army service.

MLIS

The titles and patronages the Queen took away were honourary appointments she had asked him to hold on her behalf, in her name. When he was not going to be a working royal, she reassigned those patronages to members of the family who are working royals, who work on her behalf. Any military rank he earned by serving, he kept, as any retired service member would. He also kept Invictus and Sentebale, initiatives he started and was patron of in his own name, not on behalf of the Queen.

taf2002

Even the honourary titles in the branches that he didn't serve in? Those were the titles she took away, not the ones from his Army service.
OK. But he's not allowed to wear his uniforms for events. That came out during his grandfather's funeral.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
OK. But he's not allowed to wear his uniforms for events. That came out during his grandfather's funeral.
And so none of them ended up wearing a military uniform so Harry wouldn't feel awkward:

I am starting to see a clear pattern with Harry. He doesn't like the consequences of the choices he makes. I suspect that family did a lot of coddling and protecting Harry throughout life and in the end they were just enabling his behaviour and it's all backfired now. He really does seem like a lot to deal with at times.

Tesla

Whippet Good
And so none of them ended up wearing a military uniform so Harry wouldn't feel awkward:

I am starting to see a clear pattern with Harry. He doesn't like the consequences of the choices he makes. I suspect that family did a lot of coddling and protecting Harry throughout life and in the end they were just enabling his behaviour and it's all backfired now. He really does seem like a lot to deal with at times.
Huh? Did you get that from the article? Because I didn’t.

ballettmaus

This is a question from someone who basically doesn't know much about the military but would he have had the uniform in question? As in, are all uniforms the same or would he have had uniforms to match his highest rank and would have needed to get a different one, now that he doesn't hold those ranks anymore?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'd hope the Royals would be more worried about Andrew dishonouring the uniform than Harry.

Speaking of Andrew, and of books, People magazine has a big splashy article about Fergie and her historical novel coming out in September. Andrew is totally downplayed other than that she says he is a great co-parent (the Epstein connection is briefly mentioned) and the fact that she lives in his house is somehow missing from the story....

starrynight

My understanding is that regular retired servicemen and women don't wear old uniforms at events once they have left the services. At events (such as Remembrance Days etc), they would wear a suit or formal clothes with their medals and pins etc. I have a friend who is a retired army officer and that's what he wears.

MLIS

I am not a military expert, but my understanding is that retired members of the military (in the UK, at least) do not, generally, wear uniforms to events. A Google search was inconclusive, basically what I found said it’s not forbidden, but it’s not generally done. So as Harry is not actively serving, and does not hold any honorary appointments at this time, it would not have been considered “appropriate” for him to be in uniform at the funeral (he would not have been the only one, Peter Philips and the Earl of Snowdon both walked in the procession and they have no military background). But there was some talk that it would be a shame for the only grandson who has actually seen active service to not wear a uniform when others who have “only” honorary appointments would be. I think a huge part of the strife between Harry and his family boils down to the Queen, Charles, and William saying “this is how it’s always done” and Harry saying either “But I don’t wanna do it that way” or “but do we have to do it that way just because we always have?” Should Harry have been allowed to wear a uniform even though it’s technically not the “done thing”? I could argue it either way, honestly.

And there was also talk about Andrew wanting to wear a uniform he hasn’t actually “earned” yet (he was supposed to be promoted but that was deferred when he stepped back from public view … because, you know, he’s a sex offender). It seems the Queen said “screw it, none of you wear one” (I’m probably not quoting her directly). I’m not sure I blame her.

starrynight

Those peacock uniforms are just Royal fancy dress to add to the pomp and pageantry of offical events. Outside of that, none of them have any personal claim to dress like that.

taf2002

This is a question from someone who basically doesn't know much about the military but would he have had the uniform in question? As in, are all uniforms the same or would he have had uniforms to match his highest rank and would have needed to get a different one, now that he doesn't hold those ranks anymore?
Both Harry & William wore military dress for both weddings. At every military funeral I've been to that were headed by military chaplains the chaplain wore his uniform whether he was still active service or not. I went to a retired officer's funeral on 7-14 & the chaplain that served with him conducted the service. He was in his 80's. I really don't think he was still active.

ETA: re coddling, William is the poster child for that.

ballettmaus

Well, that seems wrong, that Harry wouldn't have been allowed to wear the uniform because he's not actively serving anymore, especially since he was so active in the military and left due to security concerns, if memory serves.

taf2002

I read this morning that palace staff went in & removed & packed up all of H&M's belongings. IDK if that's true. Did anyone else read about this? If so, the pettiness continues.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I read this morning that palace staff went in & removed & packed up all of H&M's belongings. IDK if that's true. Did anyone else read about this? If so, the pettiness continues.
I read about it but I think in all likelihood they have been asked to do that!

MLIS

I read about that, but I never dreamed it wasn't at his request. It was personal belongings he had left at Windsor, pictures and things. The article I read said they were to be shipped to California. I expect he asked for it to be done. When they first left, it was with the idea that they would split their time between the UK (Windsor) and California. Now it seems clear that any return visits he makes will be quick and likely alone most of the time, he doesn't need to maintain a home in the UK. There are loads of places he can stay, after all. Frogmore was convenient during These Times, because he could quarantine away from the rest on arrival, but presumably in the future that won't be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information