Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyushka

Are rescue chickens not a thing in the US? They very much are in the UK. The chickens are rescued from battery farms which usually have the chickens in appalling conditions.
They are in my area of the US (well, backyard chickens and ducks in general are very popular). A lot of rescue chickens around here are unwanted roosters as a lot of towns ban people from keeping roosters. Some people around here have full on chicken bachelor pads. As far as the fanciness of their coop, there are some insane chicken mansions out there. Usually it's people with carpentry skills building elaborate coops for themselves but I've heard of wealthy people dropping $10k+ for a custom coop. I keep a few hens and it's a fun hobby.

Judy

But not impossible.

The latest poll I read showed that Canadians didn't want the Governor General replaced and wanted the duties to fall to a Public Servant.

Plus, the Indigenous people would probably love to re-open those treaties for re-negotiation. Many are already in re-negotiation regarding land claims.

I would argue that there can be no true reconciliation with Indigenous people with the Monarch as Head of State in Canada due to historical trauma caused by colonization

A more updated article but no it won’t happen.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I definitely believe MM that she didn't know what she was getting herself into. I'd guess she thought she had a handle on it, some of it softened through her husband, but she didn't understand all of the unspoken assumptions. I'd bet that she assumed that because of her professionalism, and having worked and been successful in a competitive and cutthroat field, she would be able to figure it out and learn quickly, actors having to be chameleons and all, but it was way too much. I don't think she was naive: I think she thought it out, but got it very wrong.

This. We've been told repeatedly how intelligent Meghan is, and in the spirit of the latest turn this thread has taken, she's also no spring chicken :lol:

To say she was totally unprepared is ridiculous. She dated Harry long enough and goodness knows he's focussed on the bad and the ugly as much as the good, and she's had her own family issues and a failed marriage to learn from too. Even before she got to know him she would have known of the tragedies of Diana's life just like the rest of the world, and like any decent actress would have researched her role, and it's not like there aren't mountains of material out there, starting with Diana's own accounts of life in that family.

I think @kwanfan1818 just hit the nail on the head. Meghan thought she had this - perhaps to the point of turning a blind eye to a lot of red flags and not asking more questions and not taking advantage of the resources available to her and in the process ticking off a lot of people - and she was dead wrong.

And let's also put some of the blame, if there is blame for Meghan not knowing what she was in for, squarely on the shoulders of her husband. I've long thought part of Harry's attraction to Meghan is that she was so outside the life he was born to, and thus both a way to define himself as an individual, and an eventual escape route from the life he hated.

Parsley Sage

Yes, why didn't she ask Harry what his day to day life was like?
Her BFF Jessica is the daughter in law of a former Prime Minister. Why didn't she get some tips from the Mulroney's about meeting royalty?

I would also like to know why Harry didn't load her in the car and take her to the hospital when she was suicidal? Call the therapist he himself saw for 7 years starting in his late 20's? Call Meghan's Midwife/OBGYN? Didn't he say he was ashamed and didn't tell anyone in his family about it?

Jenny

From the Bloc
Her BFF Jessica is the daughter in law of a former Prime Minister. Why didn't she get some tips from the Mulroney's about meeting royalty?
My guess, based on what is publicly out there about her and some additional :sekret: from people who have worked with her, is that Jessica Mulroney's contributions to Meghan's preparations would have leaned on the side of the reasons Meghan got it so wrong.

mella

If I can dare to criticize the Queen :lol:, I am disappointed that she asked the Commonwealth to "pre-agree" to name Prince Charles as its leader after her death. It could have been an incredibly powerful statement to encourage a leader of the Commonwealth from the developing world, to suggest rotating leadership, or anything other than Charles for that matter.
Indeed.
Even though they made a point to praise the Queen and say she's always been lovely to Meghan and they have no complaints with her?
I believe so yes. Because in the same way that some in this thread have done, parts of the media here consider that criticising the institution is the same as criticising the queen herself. And in fact that criticising any members of the family is the same as criticising her. Because she is the head of the institution and the family.

My take would be that if you are the head of such a disfunctional institution and family (they are disfunctional - we didn't need this interview to know that)... then the criticism is well earned. I'm not sure how widely held that view is here in the UK though. Within my circle across age, race, gender and religion its pretty consistent but I don't think that necessarily gives a snapshot of views across the UK.

I do think though that some of the suggestions in this thread about how most/lots of Brits think/want x, y, z are wide of the mark. They should keep in mind that what they know is what the press says and that should no more be treated as gospel of what a majority of Brits think than should be my small cross section of friends, family and work colleagues.

Parsley Sage

Can you imagine the :argue: if he did?

I assume he didn't do that because of all the media that would be all over it.
From what I understand, the british media is restricted into what they can report about medical situations.
BP could have released a statement "The Duchess of Sussex has been admitted to XYZ hospital due to pregnancy complications"

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Really? :rolleyes: Your assertion has nothing to do with the facts.
The money for the Duchy is earmarked for the eldest living son of the ruling Monarch. They inherit it at birth.
The Duchy of Cornwall is a well-managed private estate, which was established by Edward III in 1337. The revenues from the estate are passed to HRH The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall, who chooses to use them to fund his public, charitable and private activities and those of his family.

Was there no provision made for Edward, Andrew, or Anne? Has all support gone to Charles & nothing for his siblings? Are they living in poverty? Whether it's from the Duchy or other means all of them received lands & money. Andrew's splashy lifestyle probably needed extra support at times. BTW Andrew's daughters were styled Princesses even though they are not in the direct line.

The suggestion was made in this thread that Charles might set up trusts for Charlotte & Louis. Is there something barring Charles from securing the future for Archie & the new baby? Harry & William have inherited money from Diana, equally I hear. Is there any reason why Charles' private fortune won't go to both his kids? Maybe it will, maybe he loves his sons equally. Some of you seem to think Harry's kids deserve nothing.

Re the fancy chicken coop: way to find another thing to pick at. I guess they should apologize for making sure coyotes can't get in. And lazy Meghan built a seat in there - damn her for wanting to sit her pregnant body down.

Re: curtsy - I've seen people curtsy all my life but I don't have the first clue on how to do it gracefully. I've never practiced it. The 1st time I would probably bob up & down or even fall over. Of course Meghan should have known by osmosis.

Judy

I don't think it will happen anytime soon but once enough people want it, it will happen.

The will of the people to choose their form of Government will eventually prevail.
I don't think it will happen anytime soon but once enough people want it, it will happen.

The will of the people to choose their form of Government will eventually prevail.
Honestly the priority is always about dealing with Quebec and their govt 😩😩😩. I don’t expect that people living outside Ottawa to really understand that but 😖😖😖.

becca

I think they might. The rest of the family seems to prefer having leaks and lies go through the tabloids. There's probably a reason for that. I can't imagine that Charles and Camilla would fare very well in an interview, especially if they couldn't dictate the questions and follow up questions. I'm not sure that the Queen would come off very well, either.

Imagine this line of questions for Charles (with Camilla present): After years of tabloid press about you cheating on Diana, the two of you divorced. She was not given security by the royal family and she was hounded relentlessly by the tabloids and was killed with the paparazzi in pursuit. Your young son, Harry, had to follow her casket while millions of people watched. Do you worry that Harry will have to do something similar with his wife and son? Do you worry that Harry himself might die? Do you think that your family has anything to do with why he isn't safe? Because you are his father and the Queen is his grandmother? Because your family trotted him out for the public since he was born? Because of the things the Firm or the Institution has said or not said to the tabloids?

Also, why is Harry hurt and unhappy with you?

Or, what do you think of your mother's advisers? Why does she need advisers to tell her whether to keep plans to see her grandson? Will those same people be your advisers when you are King? Who is really running the royal family? What is it that you think you contribute?

Or, is it true that the palace hosts parties for the tabloids? Why?

Or, do you think it is you or Harry who has done more to obtain goodwill for the monarchy?

Or, have you ever heard anyone discuss Meghan's race or Archie's race? What was said? What did you say?
My understanding is Diana was offered security and declined it because she didn’t want the royal family in her business.
If they had a softball interview like the one Oprah gave Meghan & Harry, then I'm sure they'd think twice about it before passing, lol.

Both of their children are American citizens as they are the children of an American citizen. I'm not sure if Archie would be considered a "natural born citizen" since he was born in the UK and his parents were working royals at the time. The new baby, by virtue of being born in the US, will be a "natural born citizen". And the only reason this would matter is if Archie grows up and decides to run for US President. But, regardless, both children are entitled to US passports and are as American as me and my entire family (except my cousin-in-law who is of Japanese herit
Really? :rolleyes: Your assertion has nothing to do with the facts.
The money for the Duchy is earmarked for the eldest living son of the ruling Monarch. They inherit it at birth.
Yes Charles
Was there no provision made for Edward, Andrew, or Anne? Has all support gone to Charles & nothing for his siblings? Are they living in poverty? Whether it's from the Duchy or other means all of them received lands & money. Andrew's splashy lifestyle probably needed extra support at times. BTW Andrew's daughters were styled Princesses even though they are not in the direct line.

The suggestion was made in this thread that Charles might set up trusts for Charlotte & Louis. Is there something barring Charles from securing the future for Archie & the new baby? Harry & William have inherited money from Diana, equally I hear. Is there any reason why Charles' private fortune won't go to both his kids? Maybe it will, maybe he loves his sons equally. Some of you seem to think Harry's kids deserve nothing.

Re the fancy chicken coop: way to find another thing to pick at. I guess they should apologize for making sure coyotes can't get in. And lazy Meghan built a seat in there - damn her for wanting to sit her pregnant body down.

Re: curtsy - I've seen people curtsy all my life but I don't have the first clue on how to do it gracefully. I've never practiced it. The 1st time I would probably bob up & down or even fall over. Of course Meghan should have known by osmosis.
Harry is in a multimillion dollar mansion it’s hardly living in poverty. He has a 30 million dollar mansion.

Charles had shelled out millions upon millions for Harry and Meghan.

But apparently according to Harry and Meghan this support was not enough.

By moving to the United States they skyrocketed their security costs. Like astronomical levels and are looking to monetize their titles.

I am quite sure Charles is going to leave Harry and Meghan an inheritance but to say they are living in poverty is frankly insulting and to say they should bare no responsibility for their choices would be wrong too.

It they had chosen to remain in the UK the security question might be a different question.

Edward and Anne are working royals. There. Has been no interviews from them about how their children got slighted deserve to be treated like Harry and William etc. Or how they were mistreated. Edward was very much a spare of a spare his whole life.

In fact the opposite Edward and Anne both said no to their children being styled HRH and have fought for their kids to be private citizens.

They also seemed to understand that their children can not be HRH and then be private that there isn’t half in half out.

canbelto

I made the mistake of reading the daily mail comment section...what an unpleasant rabbit hole of pure hatred towards Meghan.

It's pretty well known DailyMail comments sections are actually trolls. Their comments section for any article is filled with hateful comments to drive up traffic.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
becca said:
but to say they are living in poverty...

Disgusting! I never said that. You love to misquote people & then pretend to be appalled. I said about Elizabeth's other children "are they living in poverty". I didn't mention H&M in that sentence.

becca

Disgusting! I never said that. You love to misquote people & then pretend to be appalled. I said about Elizabeth's other children "are they living in poverty". I didn't mention H&M in that sentence.
But what is the implication? The words living in poverty should never be described because Harry and Meghan are not.

The queens other children are working royals and are the ones who are now picking up the slack with Andrew and Harry and Meghan are gone.

Their children do not have paid security. And never once has either Anne or Edward given an interview complaining about their place in the family even though no doubt they have had less opportunities than William and I bet less opportunities than Harry too.

Edward and Anne have no doubt in many ways turned out the best of the Queens children.

Jenny

From the Bloc

She's not stupid, she'd know she'd need to curtsy at the very least on formal occasions with the Queen and potentially other royalty that she would eventually meet. And she's an actress, she knows how to rehearse.

skategal

Bunny mama
Meghan said she knew she would have to curtsey on formal occasions but not in private which makes sense because who would ever think you need to curtsey to your grandmother-in-law in private, casual settings?

She met the Queen by happen-stance when it wasn't planned so had to have a quick lesson beforehand by Harry as she hadn't had a need to practice the curtsey at that point.

Judy

Quebec always wants to separate. It's a running theme throughout Canadian history. But just under half of them, so it doesn't happen.
It almost did and I had to go through that in Ottawa working at RBC and people panicking and moving their money. However, the province holds a lot of power over any prime minister. Lots of power.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It almost did and I had to go through that in Ottawa working at RBC and people panicking and moving their money. However, the province holds a lot of power over any prime minister. Lots of power.
Yeah, I'm from Ottawa, father is French-Canadian and most of his family voted to separate. I am familiar with it.

becca

Directly because of Colonialism by the British Crown.

Moving away from a constitutional monarchy would help with that.
Okay. But didn’t Quebec also kind of start due to colonialism by the French? It the people of Quebec want to separate it’s up to them. But will they be better of separate.

The only reason I am saying this is that the human race all of it had been about conquering and war.

There was plenty of in North America before the French and the British got there. Hopefully as humans we have evolved but historical rights are never gone be fully righted.

I can totally get why Commonwealth countries may want a different head of State though.

Polaris

I believe so yes. Because in the same way that some in this thread have done, parts of the media here consider that criticising the institution is the same as criticising the queen herself. And in fact that criticising any members of the family is the same as criticising her. Because she is the head of the institution and the family.

My take would be that if you are the head of such a disfunctional institution and family (they are disfunctional - we didn't need this interview to know that)... then the criticism is well earned. I'm not sure how widely held that view is here in the UK though. Within my circle across age, race, gender and religion its pretty consistent but I don't think that necessarily gives a snapshot of views across the UK.

The fish rots from the head down. The Queen is absolutely responsible for how her company is run. She was willing to protect her pedophile son Andrew, but didn't raise a finger to help her grandson and wife, which speaks volumes.

MsZem

I see the sea
From what I understand, the british media is restricted into what they can report about medical situations.
BP could have released a statement "The Duchess of Sussex has been admitted to XYZ hospital due to pregnancy complications"

Yay because that wouldn't have caused a national scare or anything... :shuffle:
They could have made it sound like she needed observation due to difficulties during her pregnancy, which everyone would have assumed meant something like Kate's hyperemesis gravidarum. Or they could have said something closer to the truth, as it's hardly unprecedented for members of the BRF to get treatment for mental health challenges.

I have no doubt that Meghan was suffering, and it seems like a lot of people let her down. It must have affected her perceptions and relationships during and after the pregnancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information