Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I assume that it would take time to find an appropriate security team though
Well, yes, it would, but that doesn't mean he couldn't pay for it.

Royals have visited Victoria before, since the Royals usually stay at Government House where the Lieutenant-Governor lives. So it's not like they were living in an area where no one had any experience in providing security for the royal family.

Last edited:

Judy

L

Except for the fact that if Harry lives in UK costs would be less for security. A lot less.

So once again where is Harry’s responsibility not to move somewhere that expensive?

Furthermore Charles willl not live forever. Which means he cannot fund Harry and Meghan forever. The majority of those funds belong to the Duchy and when he dies legally the Duchy will belong to William.

Now William has his own kids to worry about to take care of and maybe be would rather use those funds to set up trusts for Louis and Charlotte.

Furthermore many in UK are not happy that the Duchy is going to the Prince of Wales. But Charles uses a lot of those profits to fund charities to his credit.
I’m confused. He is not funding Meghan and Harry.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
At a cost of 12,000 pounds per day (someone upthread said that I think?) it won’t last long especially once the kids get in school as costs will rise then.

Harry said that they have to work to pay for their security costs.
Oh bummer. The have to work to pay for their security. How dreadful.
I wish some of you would do the math. Harry supposedly inherited $30 million. If full time security costs about $2 million a year, that's about 15 years coverage. (The bulk of the money would be earning interests during that time so a little longer.) And that's if he were willing to use his money for only security, not living expenses. This is a young family so in 15 years Archie & the new baby will still be children.

OTOH Charles is not only fabulously wealthy, part of that is sustainable, so that he will never run out of money even if the monarchy ended tomorrow. He only has 2 children & one of them has his own source of riches. Harry is his son. What does Charles plan to do, take it with him? No, Harry is not entitled to part of his father's income but I would think Charles would want to make sure his child is safe. It's not Harry fault that he is a target to crazed fans. And Charles not only is not willing to help, he pulled his support when they are most vulnerable & refused to take his child's calls. IMO Charles is the only one who really comes off bad in this interview.
Harry is an adult with a family of his own. He needs to live like an adult. He is not Prince Charles responsibility.

When so many people in his country are actually suffering Harry whining that his fortune is not enough is rediculous.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I’m confused. He is not funding Meghan and Harry.
Nope. Not anymore. The money Charles receives is from the Duchy of Cornwall. The farmers who work hard for their money which is then titled to the Prin e wouldbe hard pressed to be thrilled about supporting his son's high life style in Mendocino.
I bet Harry could get a good deal on a nice place in Cornwall!

Oreo

Under what circumstances would US taxpayers pay for royal security? Seems odd?
US taxpayers do in an indirect sort of way. I worked for an event planner when Prince Andrew came to town for three days on an unofficial visit along with other trustees of a Canadian school. The US State Department was there as a "courtesy," which they do whenever royalty comes to the country. One of the reps said she was there in Las Vegas when Harry did his strip poker and had to deal with the fallout of that. On the Andrew visit, the Met was there as well as the local police department.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But at this point 4-6 people round the clock for a couple of homebodies - one of whom is weapons trained and experienced I might add - seems to overdo it.

Plus now they are living in a gated community, which they weren't before. FWIW their house near Victoria was very close to a provincial park, which is public land. That didn't seem a particularly security-conscious choice, being located near land that is open to anyone who wants to go there.

I would guess also that if people like Oprah are their neighbours in the gated community, there is some level of security for all of the homeowners, above and beyond what the individual homeowners might have in place.

nylynnr

Nope. Not anymore. The money Charles receives is from the Duchy of Cornwall. The farmers who work hard for their money which is then titled to the Prin e wouldbe hard pressed to be thrilled about supporting his son's high life style in Mendocino.
I bet Harry could get a good deal on a nice place in Cornwall!
Harry was left something like $13.8 million by his mother, as well as another $10 million, perhaps more, by his great-grandmother. He received these sums outright upon achieving a certain age (30, I think). The couple has added to this chest with their Netflix and Spotify deals. I thought this was the money that is being spent to sustain them?

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
If anything good comes out of this circus may it be the end of Piers Morgan. I don't know much about Alex Beresford but what a calm voice amidst all the shouting in that segment. Shame Piers threw his toys out of the pram and interrupted him.
So the first good thing to come from this interview :)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

Judy

I believe there are a lot of issues with the royal family and in any organization anywhere in the world .. there is always someone at the top. That is the Queen. All the fiascos dating back into history ... giving all your attention to the monarchy but not your children. I don’t think Charle’s will be much better either.

mjb52

I think the "why do we care" question is a really interesting one that applies to a lot of things. Why do we care so much about who wins a skating competition? Why do we care about celebrities in general? I think about this a lot, because I do care and find it interesting and I often wonder why. To some extent, because it let's us work through issues that affect us in a slightly distanced way? Obviously how people respond to Harry and Meghan has a lot to do with how they see obligations to family, racism, authority, and a host of other things. We are drawn to skaters because we like their skating for sure but when people become really connected to a particular skater it probably relates to other factors as well. There's definitely a reason I rooted for Bobek/Bowman/Harding (pre-scandal). I like rebellious people who don't conform. As I get older though, I have seen how the kind of personalities I am drawn to have changed. So the psychological factors behind why Americans care so much about the royal family are interesting to think about.

Polaris

^Yeah but the Royal Family doesn't even belong to America. And we're talking about international relations here (sort of), not figure skating. Again, I find it bizarre for Americans to think they have a say in the matters of a foreign institution. Americans calling for the abolishment of the British monarchy is only slightly less baffling than Americans calling of the abolishment for the Saudi, Swedish, or Thai monarchies.

Polaris

Piers Morgan is such human garbage. Why did he ever have such a big megaphone? It's gross.

Because no matter how garbage or gross or transphobic you may think he is, he has enough listeners, which translates to attention and $ for networks. Grossness sells these days. Fox News / Murdoch empire is the biggest megaphone out there.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
US taxpayers do in an indirect sort of way. I worked for an event planner when Prince Andrew came to town for three days on an unofficial visit along with other trustees of a Canadian school. The US State Department was there as a "courtesy," which they do whenever royalty comes to the country. One of the reps said she was there in Las Vegas when Harry did his strip poker and had to deal with the fallout of that. On the Andrew visit, the Met was there as well as the local police department.
Protecting rulers and ex-rulers costs everyone a lot, whatever country they come from. In the USA:

Even before Trump took office, he was costing $1 million a day in security. There were secret service agents for all his children and grandchildren.

And all our ex presidents have secret service details.

wickedwitch

^Yeah but the Royal Family doesn't even belong to America. And we're talking about international relations here (sort of), not figure skating. Again, I find it bizarre for Americans to think they have a say in the matters of a foreign institution. Americans calling for the abolishment of the British monarchy is only slightly less baffling than Americans calling of the abolishment for the Saudi, Swedish, or Thai monarchies.
Hypothetically, if a monarchy perpetuates systematic racism, hate, and classism (among other things), why shouldn't outsiders have an opinion on it? Should we not care about something just because it isn't within our borders?

And it's not like it precludes caring about things within our borders.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Hypothetically, if a monarchy perpetuates systematic racism, hate, and classism (among other things), why shouldn't outsiders have an opinion on it? Should we not care about something just because it isn't within our borders?

And it's not like it precludes caring about things within our borders.
And it is not like anyone in the UK needs to do what we say, or even knows what we say :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm not sure how much Harry and Meghan helped themselves with this interview, especially since so many people already had their minds made up. But, unlike the rest of the family, at least they spoke directly to an interviewer instead of just gutlessly - and perhaps dishonestly - working through the trashy tabloids. It seems pretty obvious that the rest of the family is going to the media, too, but just in other ways.
I think it might change some things. For me, the fact that Meghan was suicidal and couldn't get help changes a lot of things.

I struggle to see how the royal family can even justify their existence once the Queen has gone.
Maybe that's why she hasn't stepped down and given the crown to Charles?

Oh who knows I don’t care about Trump. Six months isn’t a lifetime.
So you'll bleat on and on about how horrible some celebrity -- whose choices impact you not at all -- is and how they are entitled and should pay for their own security (which they are, btw) but it's okay for Trump to waste taxpayer's dollars on security for people who aren't entitled to it -- something that directly impacts you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information