Joshua Farris: Not Allergic To Gold - the Uber thread!

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
So proud of Josh! He has always been flexible and a great jumper, so thrilled to see him come I to his own now! I love the long stretched lines in his camel spins, I used to worry his leg length would make him forever gawky, but everything looks so great and elegant now! :swoon:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Josh will push Jason to have to be a better skater. Josh can match him in PCS but is the bigger jumper when he's on. This is the best thing that could happen to US Mens skating.
Heh, they've been pushing each other since they were practically babies. I remember watching a video of them at a JGP event banquet--they went past every dish on the table and Josh stated whether he could eat it or not. (He couldn't eat most of it.)

I hope he has an awesome worlds to cap off the season that is on a DEFINITE and pronounced upward trajectory.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Heh, they've been pushing each other since they were practically babies. I remember watching a video of them at a JGP event banquet--they went past every dish on the table and Josh stated whether he could eat it or not. (He couldn't eat most of it.)

I hope he has an awesome worlds to cap off the season that is on a DEFINITE and pronounced upward trajectory.

I remember an article a few years ago where Jason said he admired Josh's flexibility when they were younger and that's why he worked on his own. Love the mutual admiration between them!

DreamSkates

Josh as of now is the most complete skater the US has in Men's. Artistic and a powerful jumper with one of the best 3axels in the business. People have been waiting for him to finally make a move but setbacks always have slowed him down but maybe now he's coming into his own. If so he will be challenging for Worlds medals soon.

Agree! and it is so wonderful to see him skating with emotion, and enjoying what his accomplishments. Maybe he's the next great US skater.

DreamSkates

I have to say, Jason-Josh-Jeremy was my best case scenario for Men's. I want Jason and Josh to make Worlds together like they planned, and for Jeremy to have one more Worlds...(OK, I'm a bit sentimental with Jeremy).
Anyway, I thought Josh was just sublime, so easy to watch (and easy on the eyes...) And I can't wait to see his LP! He promised us that it would leave us in tears, and I don't doubt it!

It's awesome that these 2 friends went to 4 CC together and are headed to Worlds as well.
Maybe Jeremy will do what Todd Eldredge did - he had a couple years of struggle and people told him to quit. Well, he dug in his heels and came back to win World gold.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I'm so happy for Josh. As a fan, I always thought he was the most complete U.S. men's skater since watching him on the JGP. Now if only Richard Dornbush could get his act together...

Agreed. I've always hoped the 2018 Olympic team could be Josh, Ricky, and Nathan Chen - what a formidable team that would be! Though I will say I'm warming up to Jason a lot and think his high components are deserved, so if he can get that 3a consistent and start putting a quad out there I will totally stand by him being a leading man.

floskate

Vacant
I thought Josh skated wonderfully here. As a John Curry uber, I get a bit sniffy sometimes when commentators bandy about comparisons but when Nicky Slater did so this weekend after his FS I just said 'yes' out loud in reply. His sit and camel spin positions are just glorious. About time we saw a great skater that also had great basic spin positions. Paddy and Dai, for all their qualities just didn't have that going on. It seems like generations since we saw quality placement like that! Best wishes to Josh for Worlds. I'll be rooting for him :cheer:

vesperholly

I thought Josh skated wonderfully here. As a John Curry uber, I get a bit sniffy sometimes when commentators bandy about comparisons but when Nicky Slater did so this weekend after his FS I just said 'yes' out loud in reply.
That was a great comment and I hope it reaches Josh's ears somehow. Having recently rewatched Curry's Olympic winning skate, aaaalmost. :)

Sylvia

TBD
I thought Josh skated wonderfully here. As a John Curry uber, I get a bit sniffy sometimes when commentators bandy about comparisons but when Nicky Slater did so this weekend after his FS I just said 'yes' out loud in reply.
Josh's 4CC competition videos - British Eurosport:
Short Program
Free Skate

Gala exhibition: "When I was your man" (Bruno Mars)

Interesting tidbit about the "rubber band" he was seen using in practices at Nationals and 4CC: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...joshua-farris-is-using-it.94931/#post-4463715

begin34

Interesting tidbit about the "rubber band" he was seen using in practices at Nationals and 4CC: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...joshua-farris-is-using-it.94931/#post-4463715

Wow, that's intense. I wonder if the ISU has any safety measures concerning what skaters can bring and use on practice ice?

Some nice fancams:
Gala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PajRvZZRNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOH-gA4JzBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE5LubpRgI4
Practice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yReiOsnflKs
FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtSJdmBXOc

Last edited:

Jammers

You can't teach what Josh has when he skates. He feels the music like very few skaters i have ever seen.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Absolutely fabulous article about Josh from FSOnline with very insightful comments from him!

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2015/03/02/joshua-farris-living-in-the-moment/

About his exhibition at nationals:

“I did not know that I was going to have to do the exhibition,” Farris laughed, “I was not expecting any result whatsoever, because skating can be so political sometimes. I thought that they were going to hold me down because of my NHK performance."​

Bless the honesty. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Nick McCarvel's Josh Farris article was published on March 10: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015...is-voice-farris-just-realizing-full-potential

Here's last week's 30-minute Google hangout video on YouTube:
#WhatsUpWorldTeam - Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim, Josh Farris

Tweeted by Lynn Rutherford today:
Brutal honesty from @joshDfarris on media call. On why success comes now: "I had to grow up a little bit, I was immature." #WCShanghai (1/3)
He & coaches considered putting quad in short, but delay due busted blades & new boots ended that plan. (2/3)
Plans quad in free; feels he can "contend with the top." Hopes [Jeff Buttle] will choreograph for him next season

ETA:

Here's Michelle Kennedy's article based on the teleconference call: http://www.examiner.com/article/propelled-by-disappointment-joshua-farris-breaks-through

Last edited:

dinakt

Hopefully Josh's teleconference is posted in its entirety; please post when it's on, whoever sees it first.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt from the end of this article (subtitled "Farris remains focused despite broken blade, believes he can contend" by Lynn Rutherford) published today: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/19/113481028
Looking ahead: Farris hopes to have Buttle choreograph a new free skate for him for next season. He will keep his "Give Me Love" short, in keeping with Allen and Krall's system of alternating new routines.

"The first year, you get confident with a program," Allen said. "Also, next season, Josh will have the quad in his short. Keeping ["Give Me Love"] will make it an easier transition."
Team Farris will decide this week whether Josh "will wear his new boots in Shanghai or compete in his old boots with the new blades."

Last edited:

dinakt

Josh has gotten a lot of coverage lately. Which is excellent, but I hope he does not read any of it! He needs no more pressure than he already puts on himself.
I am ambivalent about the SP being kept for another year; sometimes it is easier to get something new than to revise something highly successful. Also, if he does one new program a year, does his team plan to keep that trend till the Olympics? Maybe now is the time to experiment with two new programs, so that all options are open by 2018.
Wishing Josh solid Worlds. Better than solid:) Really looking forward to seeing him skate again.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'd like to see him try a Latin-themed program again. The concept of Libertango was good, but his projection just wasn't quite there yet. With his new-found self-confidence and extra projection, PLUS an audience who would be much more receptive to that kind of theme (since Josh is now considered hot-hot :swoon:), it could work really, really well.

jenniwren12

I'd like to see him try a Latin-themed program again. The concept of Libertango was good, but his projection just wasn't quite there yet. With his new-found self-confidence and extra projection, PLUS an audience who would be much more receptive to that kind of theme (since Josh is now considered hot-hot :swoon:), it could work really, really well.

Ooh I second this! Next year should be a total departure from SL in style and expression (though I do love that program), and there's nothing wrong with bringing a little sex...:D

Allskate

IMO tangos often don't work for singles skaters, especially those who have more fluid skating styles. But, maybe some music that is just Latin tinged like Santana. I'd rather see Josh do a sexy blues program than a tango. He seems to like using pop music, so he could probably find a more contemporary blues-influenced song to use.

dinakt

IMO tangos often don't work for singles skaters, especially those who have more fluid skating styles. But, maybe some music that is just Latin tinged like Santana. I'd rather see Josh do a sexy blues program than a tango. He seems to like using pop music, so he could probably find a more contemporary blues-influenced song to use.
I'd love it. Agree that Liebertango was rather ideal in theory, and it was good, but now, or in a few years, it might be a totally different animal. Santana would be great, blues would be great...
I will happily settle for joyful in one program, in any genre. The second one can be emo- never good to wander too far from one's roots, lol.
This year's programs are bull's eye.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information