Joshua Farris: Not Allergic To Gold - the Uber thread!

dinakt

If Josh skates his SP with the same intensity and outward projection as he is showing in his practice ( link in K&C), he will take the SP up a few notches, and will lift himself to another expressive level, as well.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Really bummed out with Josh's SP today - from the looks of that fall on the 3A, I am glad (and surprised) he didn't injure his elbow or shoulder. I really hope he has a great FS and moves into the top 10.

Overall, I'm not too worried - this is his first worlds and he just turned 20. But next year's Nationals will be stressful considering that the U.S. men have probably lost the 3rd spot.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
You're underestimating the power of Schindler's List, ilovepaydays. The judges proved at 4CC they'll shower that with marks even if it's not clean. I'm confident he is going to really show his talent tonight. And when that happens, he'll rocket up that leaderboard. It's not over yet!

ilovepaydays

You're underestimating the power of Schindler's List, ilovepaydays. The judges proved at 4CC they'll shower that with marks even if it's not clean. I'm confident he is going to really show his talent tonight. And when that happens, he'll rocket up that leaderboard. It's not over yet!

I'm crossing my fingers and toes (also for Adam and Jason). Between this and the ladies final, it's going to be a stressful Saturday morning.

Sylvia

TBD
Josh finished 11th in his Worlds debut (13th in SP, 10th in FS) with a total score of 223.04.

His FS scores:
10 Joshua FARRIS USA 149.52 72.60 77.92 7.71 7.46 7.79 7.86 8.14 1.00 #9
He landed 6 of 8 planned triples, including both 3A, with a fall on his opening 4T<, to move up several spots to 11th overall (which should guarantee him 2 Grand Prix assignments).

Here are Josh's quotes after his free skate today (published in the USFS fanzone Worlds blog):
(on his mentality today) I have had a lot of good skates and a lot of bad skates so after I skated my short program I talked to my coaches Christy (Krall) and Damon (Allen) on the bus. Christy sat next to me and I starting crying a little bit. She shared some incredible words of wisdom and really helped me prepare for today. I didn’t want to replicate what I’ve done in past competitions after a bad short program. It was far from perfect but it was a step.

(on next goal) The number one thing I need to work on is my mental strength.
After his SP:
13 Q Joshua FARRIS USA 73.52 38.12 36.40 7.29 7.07 7.18 7.36 7.50 1.00 #16
(on short program) My expectations definitely were not how I skated. I’ve been training well and I was expecting to do the same, if not better, that I did at Four Continents. I’m pretty disappointed in my short program. I have had a lot of success with it this year to this point.

I was nervous but no more than I normally am. That fall did surprise me. In the air I didn’t think I was going to fall. It shook me up a bit but I really tried to refocus. The fact that I muscled out the rest of the program was an improvement for me because there are times in the past I would have fallen on all my jumps in that situation.

(on free skate) In previous competitions, when I had skated poorly or not up to par in the short program, I let it carry into my free skate. My goal is to move past that. I am growing up and I want to show maturity after a poor skate.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Aww Josh. I think he showed much improved mental strength this week. To pull off the flip-toe combination after that crazy fall on the quad spoke volumes about how far he's come. I think everything he's learned this season is going to help catapult him to an all new level of skating next season. Lord, please keep him healthy. The sky is the limit!!

dinakt

Aww Josh. I think he showed much improved mental strength this week. To pull off the flip-toe combination after that crazy fall on the quad spoke volumes about how far he's come. I think everything he's learned this season is going to help catapult him to an all new level of skating next season. Lord, please keep him healthy. The sky is the limit!!

All of this, especially the last two sentences:)
Because I love his skating so much, I worry about all the hard landings. He lands on the toe pick quite a bit, which has to be brutal.
Hope he keeps strengthening his ankles and takes great care of himself.

Allskate

I think everything he's learned this season is going to help catapult him to an all new level of skating next season.

ITA. NHK caused him to take a new approach to his skating. He dealt with that. He learned not to do too many double toes, while learning that he really does have the capacity to win Nationals and to compete well at international competitions like Four Continents. He dealt with new boots and new blades at a very bad time in the season. And now he knows what it's like to compete at Worlds, which is a whole different experience. He can draw on that. I hope he gets some good assignments and invitations in the fall. I think it would be foolish for the USFSA not to see his potential.

seabm7

Because I love his skating so much, I worry about all the hard landings. He lands on the toe pick quite a bit, which has to be brutal.
Hope he keeps strengthening his ankles and takes great care of himself.

I'd like to ask a technical question. Why does landing on the toe pick is hard on the skater's leg?

ilovepaydays

ITA. NHK caused him to take a new approach to his skating. He dealt with that. He learned not to do too many double toes, while learning that he really does have the capacity to win Nationals and to compete well at international competitions like Four Continents. He dealt with new boots and new blades at a very bad time in the season. And now he knows what it's like to compete at Worlds, which is a whole different experience. He can draw on that. I hope he gets some good assignments and invitations in the fall. I think it would be foolish for the USFSA not to see his potential.

I am starting to think (and hoping) he is one of those skaters like Denis Ten that needs a LOT of mileage. I believe last season and as well as this season he had to WD from a GP event. Yes, he won a silver at 4CC this year, but he also went last year as well.

So maybe he needs a "practice run" at these things. The good news is that it appears that 1) his coaching situation is working well, and 2) he is learning from these experiences and improvements are there (for example the 2T problem that he prevented from happening again in the Worlds FS).

Keep in mind that almost NONE of the past world and Olympic medal winners were fantastic at every new competitive experience. In fact, many were god awful at their debuts at nationals, first GP events, worlds, etc. Yes, Jason and Adam did better at this Worlds, but it makes sense. Adam has significantly more international experience. And while Jason and Josh are the same age and started competing at senior internationals at the same time (2013-2014), Jason did both of his GP events both seasons, has a couple of GP medals, and has competed at the Olympics. That increase in experience can give a lot to a skater.

This next season will be very telling, not just about Josh, but for ALL of the U.S. skaters that finished in the top 4-5 at this year's Nationals.

dinakt

I'd like to ask a technical question. Why does landing on the toe pick is hard on the skater's leg?
It's been decades since my last jump:))), and I am not really qualified.
My understanding is that one lands on bottom toe pick but immediately sequences to the whole blade for flow- out and shock absorption, with a flexible knee bent acting as a shock absorber, as well. If the toe pick is jammed into the ice at a too wide of an angle the flow out is compromised, and there's nothing to soften the impact of landing. Also, that might mean that the body is out of alignment, which, combined with a hard hit, makes for a stronger jolt; more dangerous for ankle, knee and hip.
Now if somebody corrected me or elaborated I would be grateful.

Last edited:

seabm7

My understanding is that one lands on bottom toe pick but immediately sequences to the whole blade for flow- out and shock absorption, with a flexible knee bent acting as a shock absorber, as well. If the toe pick is jammed into the ice at a too wide of an angle the flow out is compromised, and there's nothing to soften the impact of landing. Also, that might mean that the body is out of alignment, which, combined with a hard hit, makes for a stronger jolt; more dangerous for ankle, knee and hip.

Thank you!

Marco

That boot problem turns out to be quite costly for him at Worlds. I can see him placing 4th and much closer to Ten if he had skated like he did at 4CCs.

Still, this has to be a fruitful season for him - first time to Worlds and medalling at 4CCs. He is going to be taken seriously by judges for his PCS from now on and starting next season he needs to skate solidly in the GPs, and the PCS will automatically come for him the way they did for Brown.

misskarne

This, and as well, because the point of impact is smaller and doesn't "absorb" as well, the ankle is very unstable and can roll or even break. This is what happened to Joshua in that first trip to Greensboro.

I wonder if the blinders are part of a process to correct this.

Wow! Polina in that dress certainly doesn't look sixteen!

And of course, Josh. :swoon:

Here's a fun little fancam: Josh chilling with his guitar. Christy does not alert him to the camera, with predictably adorable results.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Josh is officially the new age sensitive man of figure skating. I would say it was corny but he pulls it off well and the whole shy guy thing he has going on is adorable :biggrinbo

DBZ

He really has a great singing voice.

He should create his own Youtube channel someday. I'm sure he could get lots of subscribers with his skating fanbase.

jenniwren12

He really has a great singing voice.

He should create his own Youtube channel someday. I'm sure he could get lots of subscribers with his skating fanbase.

He could collaborate with the ShibSibs...they could produce his music video :swoon:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Club & Benefit Ice Shows thread in GSD:
Josh Farris is listed as performing in the Coon Rapids,MN Ice Fantasy Show April 25 & 26: http://coonrapidsicecenter.com/iceshow.htm

However, someone tweeted a photo of him after the ME shows, and his arm was in a sling, so I hope he's okay!!
You must be referring to the group photo posted on the Maine club's website: http://www.northatlanticfigureskating.org/spring-ice-show/

Nice fan photo here: https://twitter.com/LmaMaine/status/587102974083739649/photo/1

misskarne

I saw that photo too, TanithandBenFan. To my totally untrained unmedical eye it doesn't look too bad; maybe just a precaution for some soreness, or even a mild shoulder sprain. Remember he mentioned that his shoulder hurt after the SP at Worlds.

dinakt

I saw that photo too, TanithandBenFan. To my totally untrained unmedical eye it doesn't look too bad; maybe just a precaution for some soreness, or even a mild shoulder sprain. Remember he mentioned that his shoulder hurt after the SP at Worlds.
Sigh. Could my one wish for the upcoming skating year- forget the programs, they'll be what they'll be, forget the jumps- be to see Josh entirely injury- free?

Last edited:

dinakt

Good news are good! Congrats to Josh and his family:)

Last edited:

dinakt

It is off season. This is an off season post. Hopefully somebody somewhere will have info about how Josh is doing, when he works with Jeff, if he is competing this summer etc.
This is to confess my favorite Josh program moment of the year.
4CC, SP. https://youtu.be/iCnJ3u3j7cM a wrist flick at 1:50
:))) That makes me sound borderline nuts, but it's when I see this, an un-choreographed, un-self-conscious added gesture to accentuate the music that I know the skater is in the "performance zone", and I fall in love.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information