JoJo Gomez, Choreographer, Accuses Daniil Gleikhengauz of Stealing Her Work

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
JoJo Gomez has accused Daniil Gleikhengauz of stealing her choreography for Bad Guy and using it for Alina's exhibition program:

This is the original piece by Jo Jo:

This is Daniil's work:

It's not Alina's fault - as far as people have been saying, she had no knowledge of this.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Call it what you will, inspiration and/or copying, appropriation and misappropriation is always happening and has always happened in figure skating. :COP:

Of course, in this instance, the difference being that a dance choreographer is accusing a fs choreographer of stealing her work. :watch:

The easiest thing of course would have been to simply credit and/or ask permission to use Gomez's work, especially when using the same Billie Eilish song. :drama:

Didn't Marie-France credit her inspiration for P/C's famous breakthrough fd skated to Mozart's Adagio for Piano & Orchestra Concierto No.23, to the Le Parc ballet choreographed by Angelin Preljocaj?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eCJWdsW_A P/C 2015 Worlds fd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgWQ8vE3iMQ Le Parc ballet

Last edited:

believed

Also worth noting that JoJo has said on her IG stories that eventually he did reach out to apologize to her. Still terrible of him to completely copy the entire introduction of her choreography though. Hopefully the choreography gets changed/Alina gets a new program.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Also worth noting that JoJo has said on her IG stories that eventually he did reach out to apologize to her.

I don't know how you found it -- I went to look, and she had like nine dozen stories up!

believed

I don't know how you found it -- I went to look, and she had like nine dozen stories up!
Some fans helpfully posted the relevant parts on twitter!

Edit: DG has also edited his original post with Alina with an apology at the end

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
She can’t not have seen the clip, though...

Daniil says right in his edited post that he showed Alina the clip and they loved it so they started working on the choreography. It’s definitely respecting someone else’s work but unfortunately not mentioning them until now. He did add that he’d love to work with her and even would pay for her to go to Russia, so I think it will blow over.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Daniil says right in his edited post that he showed Alina the clip and they loved it so they started working on the choreography. It’s definitely respecting someone else’s work but unfortunately not mentioning them until now. He did add that he’d love to work with her and even would pay for her to go to Russia, so I think it will blow over.

:lol: Better to ask first, and then shower praise. Instead they were inspired, copied/stole, were found out by the original choreographer and called out, and then they apologized, lavished praise and promised gifts. :rofl:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
:lol: Better to ask first, and then shower praise. Instead they were inspired, copied/stole, were found out by the original choreographer and called out, and then they apologized and lavished praise, promised gifts. :rofl:

JoJo has a lot of skaters already following her- this might be her ticket into a whole new world of choreography. All might not be bad :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
JoJo has a lot of skaters already following her- this might be her ticket into a whole new world of choreography. All might not be bad :)

Yep, seeing the original choreographer's work is all good. All praise to Gomez! :respec: Daniil & Alina however, hmmm. :lol:

If a lot of skaters were already following Gomez, she didn't need Daniil copping her work in order to be introduced to possibly a fs choreography career (if she's even interested). It's something Gomez would first need to want, and then she'd need to work with skaters she's truly inspired by, using the right music, etc., etc.

Let's see if Gomez takes Daniil up on the offer of working with him! He probably needs her more than she needs him at this point. :p

But yep, alls well that ends well.

Last edited:

starrynight

So many skaters have programs inspired off So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With The Stars routines.

Although I’ve noticed that plenty of those dancers/choreographers work regularly with skaters. I wonder if they contact the choreographer first before creating the skating programs?

Tinami Amori

This is crazy for many reasons:
- This means that every Ballet and Opera company, Broadway production, and music video producers can complain about "skaters using parts of their choreo in their routines".

- Some of these moves are present in Billie Eilish original video, so it's hard to tell who copied what from whom. Skaters and stage dancers copy moves from music videos.

- JoJo Gomez also did a choreo to Ariana Grande's "7 rings" which Medvedeva is skating to in her show number. And the moves are similar.

... and the most disturbing issue, which many russians on their sites are talking about, is that JoJo Gomez has no idea who Zagitova is, and not following her shows in Japan (where she skated this routine only few times, and it has not been published until now).

But a group of Medvedeva fans (the same who have been posting a barrage of hate against Alina, and threats of physical harm and insults, on Alina's site), have formed a solid base to take Alina and Eteri's team down, and they watch Alina's every move, and try to cause as much harm as possible, very possible with help of Medvedeva's agent, given there are certain professional methods used. They are the ones who made sure that JoJo Gomez gets the video.

I will not post pages and pages of nasty threats which are sent to Alina on daily basis from Medvedeva fans (they are not hiding that they are), but quite few of them are criminal, like "throwing acid in her face", calling to do and wishing "to break her legs", and notes saying "i went to church today, to pray for you and Eteri to have misery for the rest of your life".

All this is just because Alina won Olympics from Medvedeva, and Medvedeva's fans can't stand it. They say so in their messages. I have copies of it all, but will not flood this message unless someone wants to see them.

Alina, on the other hand, has not taken this to the press or made any public complains.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Please spare us your partisan, conspiracy-theory take @Tinami Amori! :rolleyes: I don't care whether it's valid or partially made-up OTT nonsense. :duh: My God, the Russian mafia, media, trolls, ubers, fandoms, and the entire backbiting Russiya social network. Why can't they just concentrate on finding a way to get Mikhail Kolyada to consistently jump start and live up to his talent, and get Samarin some ballet lessons and a heaping injection of graceful artistry??? Sending out an all-points-bulletin for Alexander Pushkin to make some poetic sense of it all. :drama: :violin:

Meanwhile, please spare us the ballerina wannabe (hating on Med vs hating on Zag) Russian ladies teenybopper wars. :argue: Where's hari kari icon when it's needed?! :scream:

Tinami Amori

Please spare us your partisan, conspiracy-theory take @Tinami Amori! :rolleyes: I don't care whether it's valid or partially made-up OTT nonsense. :duh: My God, the Russian mafia, media, trolls, ubers, fandoms, and the entire backbiting Russiya social network.
I won't spare you, because it is true, and there are printed/saved screens that prove it. Too bad you don't read Russian, or I would gladly make you head spin, more than it usually spins. ;)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I won't spare you, because it is true, and there are printed/saved screens that prove it. Too bad you don't read Russian, or I would gladly make you head spin, more than it usually spins. ;)

The only reasons it's too bad I don't speak Russian is because I can't read Pushkin in the original nor converse with interesting Russian skaters in their language at events or on Instagram, not that I would ever be following any of the crap you are referencing! :blah:

By this point both Alina and Janny are heads-and-shoulders classier and more level-headed than any of their OTT warring fans.

Tinami Amori

The only reasons it's too bad I don't speak Russian is because I can't read Pushkin in the original nor converse with interesting Russian skaters in their language at events or on Instagram, not that I would ever be following any of the crap you are referencing! :blah:

By this point both Alina and Janny are heads-and-shoulders classier and more level-headed than any of their OTT warring fans.
The crap i am referencing is not "between fans", it is an organized effort to take down a skater, just because she won over their favorite.

Alina, yes, is classy, she chose to ignore it, never complains, and its been happening for over a year now.
As far as the "other side", there are facts that she and her agent very cleverly encourages it, so let's just say that "every little thin thread seems nothing by it self, but when put together, it weaves a strong carpet".

This is what Medvedeva's blogger-fan (and now her friend) posted about Alina, threatening to smash her face. English translations right on the instagramm page (warning..... not Pushkin). her name is Elena Rodina, and she formed an anti-Zagitova coalition.

Medvedeva is her friend, and when asked to do something about her, replied "my fans are fine people" and they shared a train car ride to Nationals. Here they are together.

Rodina is running a hate group against Zagitova. They invade Zagitova's personal account, other fan accounts, pay for the "dirt on Zagitova" in some on-line publications.

Many Russians are talking about it, and Medvedeva was asked many times, but is not doing anything to stop this woman. Instead she is "liking" some of the "hate comments".

Tinami Amori

My new favorite game is to try and figure out how a thread can be turned into a Janny hate post before it happens. Because I've just accepted it's going to happen at this point.
"Janny" is "friends" with people who constantly threaten and insult Alina. These people are talking about throwing acid in Alina's face and wishing evil.
"Some day you'll get your faces splashed with acid"
"I wish you to rot alive"
English translation: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8nTFKzUYAA67kr.jpg:large

When asked why Medvedeva won't do anything about it, she replied "i love all my fans, don't care what they do and say". here is the link: https://pp.userapi.com/c845122/v845122097/1b42a8/a2VCVmA8xUM.jpg

Medvedeva knows how this group of fans will act. She's been notified many times.
She started the hate against Zagitova's "Bad Guy" programme and this current scandal, when she intentionally posted on her IG, that "oh, this is my favorite music" after Alina announced this programme. While you can't take a comment such as "oh, this is my favorite music" to court, it is a given, that Med-fans will attack Alina about this issue. She also gave a video interview repeating that it's her favorite music.

Alina was attacked, not just on instagram by few posts, but massively by "mad fans" and
Med's agent" sent it to the press, and articles like "Zagitova stole Med's favorite music" were all over.

This was an intentional provocation from Medvedeva's side. And there is a lot more, it just did not make the "int'l news".

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If Medvedeva has fans who are targeting Zagitova in an organized way, I think she should tell them she doesn't endorse or appreciate their actions. Just like I thought Kim should have told her fans that she doesn't endorse or appreciate their actions, etc. etc.

Tinami Amori

If Medvedeva has fans who are targeting Zagitova in an organized way, I think she should tell them she doesn't endorse or appreciate their actions. Just like I thought Kim should have told her fans that she doesn't endorse or appreciate their actions, etc. etc.
Yes, she should, and she has been asked to do so. Instead of doing so, she got angry at those who asked her. I posted one of her replies above:

Poster is asking her about Rodina's post "to hit Zagitova's face and calling her a whore".
"Evgenia, what do you think of your fans, like Elena Rodina, who are sending Alina threats of physical harm, send her constant hate messages, and hold daily organized meetings of their sect to implement Zagitova-hate. Why do you socialize with them, and take fotos? Please do not remove my question and reply, or it maybe necessary to seek help from public channels. thank you in advance for your reply."

Medvedeva replied: "I love all my fans, and have no idea what they do and say to others. I don't think your tone of voice is appropriate."

In another situation, when asked about "IG issues", she replied "My fans are adequate people" (can't find link now).

Medvedeva, while not doing any attacks directly, is very much enjoying this, and giving "clever answers and general comments" to avoid dealing with this directly. The fact that she is not just IG-friend, but in real life friends, with woman who is not even hiding a fact of "wanting to hit Zagitova in the face", is one of many situations, and one of the few that has "any proof". There are many many more, but they are hard to show "quickly".

zebraswan

Oh for god's sake...Zhenya has nothing to do with Daniel stealing choreo. I realize facts make no difference to a mentally ill lunatic, but do the mods even care about this constant thread hijacking? By the way, I guess his programs are free to anyone who wants them now. Just copy whatever you like, no attribution is required. Why do we even need other choreographers? Just recycle everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information