Jason Brown: "I believe that love will always win, and every story will unfold differently for each individual..."

Sylvia

TBD
Shared on his social media just now (❤️):
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP_stVqHtzb/
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1403466946708967428

🏳️‍🌈 #pridemonth

I’ve grown up surrounded by beautiful, creative, strong, proud, successful, and supportive LGBTQ+ role models. Whether it be family members, coaches, skaters, teachers, friends, or others I’ve had the privilege of crossing paths with, my perception of what it’s like to be LGBTQ+ was far from one dimensional.

I’ve always found it impossible and, truthfully, dangerous to paint or stereotype any one group with a singular brushstroke. The diversity of people I’ve met along my journey has shown me that everyone is so individually themselves. No experience or personality is the same, simply people finding their identity, their voice, and owning their truths in their own unique ways.

I’ve always been shown the beauty in embracing love in every form. I never questioned my own sexuality or even thought much about it because it didn’t matter. I am who I am, and have always been fortunate to be surrounded by people who made me feel like that was enough.

I realize that so many confront a different reality. History hasn’t always been kind, and the fight for equality and acceptance is an ongoing one. There is no doubt that my life’s been enhanced because of the people around me who’ve had the courage to stand up and share a piece of who they are with the world...and for that I say thank you.

I believe that love will always win, and every story will unfold differently for each individual. Mine unfolds a bit now. I’m gay, and that’s a story still being written...

starrynight

Love Jason. He's always been one of the good guys in skating. When the sport gets bogged down in drama and that undercurrent of negativity, he is a literal ray of sunshine always.

Wishing him every happiness, because he really does deserve it.

Equality movements and acceptance really does prove its importance when it means someone like Jason can live a happy life. What a deep shame it would be if the world was such that it cut down someone like him.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I am so heartened to see more and more skaters 'coming out'. I hope they don't have to worry about the USFSA blackballing them anymore. I really think that the more visibility and openness of gay athletes helps to foster more acceptance and tolerance. It should. I was reading an article that said that 70% of Americans support gay marriage now, compared to only 21% in 1995. After the SCOTUS ruled in favor of GM in 2016 (?) there was a flood of marriages. I was married in 2017 and my rightwing mother wouldn't even acknowledge it or congratulate us. My father used to be the homophobic one who didn't even use the Bible as a crutch for his bigotry and he was happy for us. Now my mom is coming around after several years and sees my marriage is just (well ALMOST) as legitimate as my sister's. She might have religious reservations, but well, I'm Christian and live a Christian lifestyle, and I think she and now 70% are seeing that the sky didn't fall, people aren't trying to marry their dogs or typewriters and all those other idiotic things that rightwing idiots were predicting/threatening. This has been a great month for Pride this year. So much support and love all over the place. It does get better, people.

starrynight

I think that as people become more familiar with things that idea of the 'scary other' dissipates.

I think for a lot of people, as things have become more open in the modern parts of the world, they've come to know gay cousins, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, family friends, work colleagues etc and just realised that they are normal people like everyone else. It's that sort of soft change that happens over time.

Yuri

Jason is simply an amazing, charismatic skater who has a wonderful skating quality of edge work and spins that is unmatched these days. While I can't say that I am shocked, kudos to him for making his announcement as an eligible skater in an Olympic year! I am very much looking forward to seeing him skate again in person in Nashville.

Sylvia

TBD
And here is Karina Manta's third tweet of the day :): https://twitter.com/KarinaMantras/status/1403491694251692033
Looks like I’m going to be happy crying for a WHOLE DAY!

Love you, @jasonbskates. It’s hard to imagine my life in this sport without your positive influence. I’m sure for years and years to come other young skaters will be saying the same.
They've been friends since he trained in Colorado - throwback to her Instagram post/photo of them from April 2014: https://www.instagram.com/p/nTwv3wGXTy/
Repost from the wonderful, @jasonbskates who made an incredible Gatsby at prom #prom2014 #gatsby

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Good for Jason! Some people may struggle to understand why gestures like this still matter at a time where the world is becoming more accepting, but I think we can see how much it matters when we see how few figure skaters completing at the highest levels are publicly out. It was only in 2018 that the first out figure skaters competed in the Olympics.

And there is a difference between the skating community being aware and being publicly out. It matters that queer people stand up and be counted. The more of us there are, the harder it is to discount or ignore us and the easier it is for other queer people, including queer kids to exist in the world. And "everyone knows" doesn't count the same.

Congrats to Jason! Today he made a huge difference and I hope he feels great!

Finnice

Jason has been one of my favourites from GPF in Sochi 2012. I spoke with him, a great person. I have always rooted for him, even though I see the lack of big jumps. If a person can jump or throw or lift but is a missbehaving eezit, no fandom from me.

Japanfan

:confused: :confused: I have no idea what 1984 has to do with Jason coming out? Also I don't think Jason has gone by "Jay" anywhere.

He said 'love always wins', but it doesn't, unfortunately. In 1984 two lovers were forced to betray each other.

Kind of a pointless point to make, I regret making it actually. But my gut reaction was 'I wish it always did'.

Japanfan

This is a book of fiction though.
Yes, I know. But I found it entirely believable and possible - brought to mind all the people who have been prevent from marrying a person for reasons of class, culture or ethnicity. Girls sold into marriage as young as age 12.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Did the sins of your youth inform your current dim view of promiscuity?
I never have taken issue with a bit of youthful catting around,dear. However the time inevitably arrives for all of us to mature and act our age and uphold the sanctity of marriage. My "dim view" is held by hundreds of millions around the world. I pray your inquiry is not a rather clumsy form of projection.

And back on topic: if Jason is happy,so am I. His skating exudes freedom,joy and virtue—something exceedingly scarce in today's hellscape that is the code of points. His most recent programs reminded me why I initially fell in love with this sport years ago.

-BB

Sylvia

TBD
Canada's Jeremy Ten (who retired from competition in June 2015) posted his public coming out message yesterday on his Instagram and because he uses the #LoveAlwaysWins hashtag at the end I decided to post his link/copy out his story in this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQM8rRhJ2w9/

I am a son, I am a brother, I am an Uncle, and I am a gay man. 🌈
I know that this might not come as a surprise to many (if any) of you, but I have never officially said the words “I am gay” on any of my social media platforms. It is not because I am ashamed of my identity. I love who I am. But it is because I have never been able to say those exact words to the 2 most important people in my life, my own parents. Chinese culture is so deeply rooted in tradition and “traditionally”, men don’t fall in love with other men. However, that is a narrative that is quickly changing and I want to help drive that change forward.
Throughout my childhood & teenage years, I have been fortunate to have the most amazing & supportive friends and brother that have lifted me up through every stage of my self discovery... and last night, I finally came out to my parents. Although they’ve “always known,” it still wasn’t necessarily easy for them to hear. After a lengthy conversation as a family about culture, religion, values, & traditions, to hear them say, “We still love you & we just want you to be happy” at the end of it all was like a weight I had been carrying for 17 years of my life had finally been lifted off my shoulders. My only wish is that I had done this sooner.
I know it is too late to be the #outandproud athlete I have always wanted to be for you but I know it’s not too late to contribute to the positive change & representation needed for the next generation of LGBTQ+ athletes.
I want to say thank you to my friends @ka2sh, @pauldpoirier, @joejohnsonice, @karinamanta @ericradford85, @jasonbskates, & @adaripp for empowering me with their stories. I’d also like to thank all of our LGBTQ+ heroes & idols that have fought for our rights paving the way for us to live our truths.
I am no different than you. I have had crushes, I have had my heart broken, I have hopes & dreams, & just like you, all I’ve ever wanted is to love & to be loved in return.
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
#LoveAlwaysWins #LoveIsLove #HappyPride #AlphabetFamily #RainbowFamily #Gay #Gaysian #Lgbtq #Pride #ComingOut

Also, Jeremy posted on June 4 that he is "now a licensed realtor and have joined with Oakwyn Realty [in Vancouver] to embark on this new and exciting career path" (his most recent professional skating job was the role of “VI” on Cirque du Soleil’s “AXEL” before the p*ndemic struck): https://www.instagram.com/p/CPt3eZzp3De/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information