Japanese Figure Skating 2016/17 season news, national team, updates

Miki89

Satoko made the right choice. Hope she has a speedy recovery, though next year her place as no. 1 at home may not be so secure with Marin's arrival to seniors.

I feel a bit underwhelmed with ladies skating lately. It seems to be that the art of holding positions or extensions has been lost. This is very apparent to me whenever I rewatch Kwan's programs or other skaters from that era. Or Mao, especially her earlier programs. I believe this is the long-term consequence of COP and getting rid of the spiral requirement. Even charismatic and musical skaters such as Marin and Eun Soo don't hold positions like they used to. I think current programs are missing a bit of the magic as a result.

I'm not as outraged about the outcome as many are. Skaters with more difficult content won even under 6.0. (given that they have the reputation and federation support already). Tara won over MK. Irina at her peak was not getting second marks that far off MK's. Not to mention Plushenko. However, what I do realize is that I find skaters back then more interesting and exciting in general. Athletic skaters like Ito still did moves in the field. Even hot mess programs from Irina and Plushenko were entertaining to an extent. The problem is not just backloading but a code of points system that hinder skater from showing of their unique personalities and style. Therefore, good well balanced programs still lack the magic of a Kwan or Lulu program, and obvious code whoring programs are just plain boring without the enjoyment that one might get from seeing a weird, voidy program that showed off personality and charisma, if not artistry.

eurodance2001

This is a huge chance for countries on the bubble to retain 3 spots like the US. Satoko barring major disaster was a guaranteed top 5; Rika has been struggling this season and is prone to downgrades.. Wishing Satoko a speedy recovery..

leigh466

Wow. Cannot believe this does not deserve its own thread, but I guess it's against the rules.

Josh78

Such bad timing for this to happen -- I was so hoping to see her "Planets/Star Wars" FS one more time -- I'm crossing fingers NOW that she decides to KEEP it for the Olympic season, because I STILL believe, that skated at it's BEST, she has a very real shot to WIN!

all_empty

Tough break for the Japanese ladies after the SP.

Looks like Wakaba went mostly clean but got dinged a bit on PCS versus the top ladies.

Rika Hongo played it smart and went for the easier 3T+3T, but the second jump was underrotated.

Mai Mihara took a fall deduction and doubled the 3F, gaining 0 points. I'm confident she'll come roaring back in the free, but not sure if it'll be enough.

With a clean FS, I think Mai can jump ahead of everyone between herself and Higuchi, but if they finish 9+10, they're still way off the magic 13.

On another note, Korea has a very good chance of having two skaters in their home Olympics, with Dabin sitting in 11th.

Spun Silver

I was crushed for Mai. Such a wonderful skater and almost all went well until the very end. Pretty much no way to get 3 spots now. Terrible luck for Mao.

all_empty

Mai came back as I predicted, but it's a shame that they'll only have two ladies at Pyeongchang and Milan.

It's going to incredibly, incredibly competitive at Japanese Nats.

I think the early frontrunners are Mai, Marin and Satoko.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Happy to see Mai's strong comeback! Mai actually did Mao Asada of Sochi. :drama: :kickass:

ETA:
I really wish JSF will be politicking for TWO ladies (at least) next season. Their biggest mistake of this fiasco is that they mostly politicked for Satoko these two seasons.

Last edited:

ioanna

I don't think they politicked for anybody, not even for Satoko. If they had, Satoko would have placed higher at last year's Worlds.

I expect that to change with Marin.

Last edited:

all_empty

I'm wondering if the JSF debated sending Kaori Sakamoto to senior worlds over Rika Hongo.

She was really solid all season long, but beaten by Hongo at Nationals and had to withdraw from the Asian Games due to illness.

I'm pretty sure she would've placed well -- perhaps her and Mai combined could've gotten 3 spots.

The Japanese now face what the Russians did four years ago; many Olympic-caliber athletes to choose from but only two spots. I think consistency will factor a lot into their selection, which would favor someone like Miyahara.

But they also like their "stars" and Honda fits that bill.

Marco

I'm wondering if the JSF debated sending Kaori Sakamoto to senior worlds over Rika Hongo.

She was really solid all season long, but beaten by Hongo at Nationals and had to withdraw from the Asian Games due to illness.

I'm pretty sure she would've placed well -- perhaps her and Mai combined could've gotten 3 spots.

The Japanese now face what the Russians did four years ago; many Olympic-caliber athletes to choose from but only two spots. I think consistency will factor a lot into their selection, which would favor someone like Miyahara.

But they also like their "stars" and Honda fits that bill.

I forget what the alt. team is. Did Kaori have senior TES minimum for Worlds? Why couldn't Marin have been born earlier? :(

mikeko

I forget what the alt. team is. Did Kaori have senior TES minimum for Worlds.

It looks like the last international competition Kaori participated as a senior is 2015 Asian Open Trophy. Were its TES valid? And I think it had already passed the entry deadline when Satoko decided to withdraw.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Message from Mao
突然ですが、私、浅田真央は、フィギュアスケート選手として終える決断を致しました。今まで、長くスケートが出来たのも、たくさんの事を乗り越えてこれたのも、多くの方からの支えや応援があったからだと思います。ソチオリンピックシーズンの世界選手権は最高の演技と結果で終える事ができました。その時に選手生活を終えていたら、今も選手として復帰することを望んでいたかもしれません。実際に選手としてやってみなければ分からない事もたくさんありました。復帰してからは、自分が望む演技や結果を出す事が出来ず、悩む事が多くなりました。そして、去年の全日本選手権を終えた後、それまでの自分を支えてきた目標が消え、選手として続ける自分の気力もなくなりました。このような決断になりましたが、私のフィギュアスケート人生に悔いはありません。これは、自分にとって大きな決断でしたが、人生の中の1つの通過点だと思っています。この先も新たな夢や目標を見つけて、笑顔を忘れずに、前進していきたいと思っています。皆様、今までたくさんの応援、本当にありがとうございました
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170410-01805741-nksports-spo

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Is this info already posted here? I forgot.

Dreams on Ice (Team Japan exhibition show)
Date & Place: July 7, 8, 9 at Shinyokohama
Cast: Keiji Tanaka, Takahito Mura, Kazuki Tomono, Mitsuki Sumoto, Shun Sato, Mai Mihara, Wakaba Higuchi, Rika Hongo, Marin Honda, Kaori Sakamoto, Yuna Shiraiwa, Rion Sumiyoshi, Sumire Suto / Francis Boudreau Audet, Emi Hirai / Marien De La Asuncion, Jingu Ice Messengers
Guest: Nathan Chen
http://www.onice.jp/top.html

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
At WTT's gala show, before Kanako Murakami skated, it was announced "this is her final performance as a competitive skater" at the rink. So Kanako just retired.
https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/856025506382204930

It was nice she had an event after finishing a season for saying good-bye in front of fans. On the final moment she turned her tears into a "Kanako smile".

ETA:
screen captures
https://twitter.com/GOEplus5agetyau/status/856033807555624960

article
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1812256.html

Last edited:

Dobre

At WTT's gala show, before Kanako Murakami skated, it was announced "this is her final performance as a competitive skater" at the rink. So Kanako just retired.
https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/856025506382204930

It was nice she had an event after finishing a season for saying good-bye in front of fans. On the final moment she turned her tears into a "Kanako smile".

Oh, Kanako. I will never forget the first time I saw her. At 2010 Skate America in the polka dot dress. How can there be no copy of this SP performance on youtube? She won the competition. Her smile was unforgettable then also.

This copy from NHK will have to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8Hw5pbwhs

J

Jeschke

It's great Kanako got her farewell-skate :encore:
A pleasure it has been with her.
So much promise. Unfortunately she could not totally live up to it.
Nice to see her leave with a big smile :respec:

Side note: Did the other japanese ladies got such farewell-performances @rosewood ? Shizuka, Miki, Fumie, Yukari?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information