ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The rink in Oberstdorf has very high ceilings and I'd guess air circulation is good there. I doubt that with 3 to 5 skaters on teh ice there is a big risk of aerosols being in the air for a long time.
Something to keep in mind about rinks: they have certain standards they have to meet for air quality because of the equipment used to keep the ice frozen. I wonder if that would help with keeping the virus disappeared?

77 countries to be exact. ;)
I swear they had over a hundred NGB (I saw a list once). If so how can they be in only 77 countries?

gkelly

Most countries have separate federations for figure skating and speed skating?

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
With the countries closing borders or requiring 14 days quarantine before leaving housing, the only way I can see it happens is if all events were held in one county. All skaters and judges self isolate for 14 days and stay until all events are completed.

Even then if one of that community get C-19 another 14 days starts.

I'm glad it's not up to me.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
With the countries closing borders or requiring 14 days quarantine before leaving housing, the only way I can see it happens is if all events were held in one county. All skaters and judges self isolate for 14 days and stay until all events are completed.

Even then if one of that community get C-19 another 14 days starts.

I'm glad it's not up to me.

Too much to worry about.

ISU should just crown Miss Bradie Tennell the 2020-21 Grand Prix Final Champion.

Im pretty sure you guys all agree with me anyway.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I’m too full from over eating to see if this has been posted elsewhere but here’s a kind of cool article

“Figure skating gets back on track”

Training centres around the globe have reopened the past three weeks and more are getting set to do so starting May 25 — all with tight restrictions re the number of skaters permitted on the ice at one time along and strict rules re cleaning and sanitizing processes.

In the U.S., some rinks (the ones we know of) are open in Colorado, Alaska, Texas and Florida, with more scheduled to reopen on May 25. The World Arena in Colorado Springs commenced operations on May 4 — strictly limited to its coaches and their students. Only 10 people are permitted on the ice at same time. After a two-month break, Marina Zoueva′s International Skating Academy in Estero, Florida, reopened May 21, with strict social distancing measures in place. ″We just have to be careful for each other. We have to help each other stay healthy and still keep working,″ Zoueva said.

Debbie S

I posted this in the reopening rinks thread: https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/considerations-competitions-and-events

And this is just for club/qualifying comps in the U.S. As someone very involved with the planning of my club's comp (which we canceled this year), I don't see how a comp could be run with what they're recommending: only in-state officials (otherwise, travel/quarantine concerns), no food/hospitality area for officials, outdoor check-in (might be nice on a beautiful day but how often do we have perfect weather?), no locker rooms, limiting size of event and practice ice groups. Health screenings. Long-enough breaks between events to sanitize the judges stand. And of course the financial considerations.

I can't see how a large event like Regionals or even Sectionals could be run like that. October is a long way away, maybe things will radically improve all across the country by then, who knows. And then consider an int'l comp, with all those issues plus int'l travel and dealing with different countries' policies.

kalamalka

I'm not expecting JGP#1 to take place in Richmond at the end of August. BC is being pretty clear that requirements for 14 day self-isolation for international travelers should stay in place for some time - even though we are doing very well at limiting new cases and at contact tracing, and even though there has not been the kind of "lockdown" that most other places have experienced. The prohibition of gatherings over 50 people, and of conventions, large concerts, etc. is also expected to be in place until there is either a vaccine or an effective treatment. The sport has not yet received approval for its "Return to Play" plan, which it needs before any local training can resume, and the draft plan has a limit of 10 people on the ice or in the rink at a time - and no parents in the building.

JGP in general seems more problematic than the GPs this year for several reasons (although it would be a surprise if even the GP series is able to carry on as scheduled):
  • the season is earlier - late Aug-early Oct vs late Oct-Nov
  • lots more athletes per event
  • given the age of the athletes, they're more likely to have a parent travelling with them
(OTOH, we know that most of them don't have many spectators anyway)

The international travel restrictions that will still be in place for many countries make it hard to see how international skating events can happen in the fall, given that every event has people coming from and returning to so many countries with different travel rules, and most if not all of the hosting countries are likely to have different rules in place for travellers from different parts of the world.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
idk what your problem is but i think most skaters want to get back to the rink and compete again.

Am I not supposed to want to go Skate America? 🙄

So the fact that 100k people are dead in the US and hundreds of thousands more overseas doesn’t make you pause to consider that mass gatherings might not be in everyone’s best interest at the moment?

starrynight

I think we can all appreciate that that everyone wants skating again. (Otherwise people wouldn’t be posting here) Wanting that is not the same as not caring about the world situation or not wanting to do the responsible thing???

If humans didn’t want to better themselves, we’d still be sitting in caves.

Come on, everyone needs to peace out.

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
So the fact that 100k people are dead in the US and hundreds of thousands more overseas doesn’t make you pause to consider that mass gatherings might not be in everyone’s best interest at the moment?

um Skate America is in 5 months. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. that's a long time from today.

Come on, everyone needs to peace out.

THANK YOU.

Some of you people need to get out more and get a life and stop with the knee jerk outrage. being upset about the corona deaths but wanting to go to vegas and watch skating in 5 months is NOT mutually exclusive.

greenapple

If Skate America happens, presumably the world will be in a much better place. So that's a good thing.
For sure. Staying positive and looking ahead - thinking about the fun things one wants to do and being optimistic that the world will be in a better place, is a healthier mindset than that of the pessimists who are critical of the optimists. I also want to go to Skate America so let the optimism prevail!

Bigbird

If it happens, I highly doubt it’ll be with significant numbers of spectators. I can’t see people returning to normal travelling habits by then, not without a vaccine.
People want to be in Crumpville? People want to travel in and around Crumpville? The global epicenter of this thing? Right before Trexit? This pandemic might be the least of our worries. Sigh.

Marco

If the fall season and the GPs do not happen but the championships season does, the ISU will need to readjust all those minimums. Also, the skaters will not have had a chance to compete under the new rules (the "q"s, pre-rotation and full blade assist, etc) by the time the championships happen and may be in for some rude / shocking awakenings.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
THANK YOU.

Some of you people need to get out more and get a life and stop with the knee jerk outrage. being upset about the ********* deaths but wanting to go to vegas and watch skating in 5 months is NOT mutually exclusive.

I'm pretty sure most of us were responding to the tone of your initial post. "THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL SKATE AMERICA" is massively different to expressing a hope that we get part of the season. It's very aggressive and and the girls' weekend comment only made it look even more self-centred.

Yes, October is five months away. The virus is running rampant in the US with its own citizens fighting efforts to control it in the name of freedom. I see no chance of an international Skate America this year.

D

Deleted member 221

idk what your problem is but i think most skaters want to get back to the rink and compete again.

Am I not supposed to want to go Skate America? 🙄

You're supposed to wear sackcloth and ashes while furiously calculating all the ways you could possibly die from covid-19 if you set foot outside your home. Breaks only allowed to microwave your mail.

Hope you get to go to Skate America after all. :respec:

Lizziebeth

The hope for the JGP doesn't look good to me. There are so many entrants. The only thing that works in their favor is the fact that the audience is usually very small.

Bellanca

um Skate America is in 5 months. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. that's a long time from today.
Now you’ve done it! :drama: :lol: Absolutely no future optimism allowed. Entertaining good thoughts? Feeling positive? Nyet! Please, leave all pleasantries (and a good-natured sense of humor) at the door. Why, nothing short of being in a constant state of perpetual anger, exercising wide-sweeping assumptions, moral superiority and outrage will suffice. Watch out for copious amounts of projection. ;) Plus, this is very important, remember to use plenty of CAPS and drop numerous F-bombs to get your point across. 😁 Not believing? Just wait a few minutes (or keep posting) and you’ll see. ;)

ETA: seriously though, welcome to FSU. 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information