ISU Skating Awards (for 2022 calendar year) voting open from Dec. 15-31, 2022

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's press release today (Dec. 15, 2022): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...and-a-new-category-announced?templateParam=15

... because the 2022 ISU Skating Awards were postponed, the Selection Commission changed the criteria, which take into account the results, performances, costumes and programs in the calendar year 2022 that include the ISU Championships (European, Four Continents and World Championships 2022), the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series 2022 (individual events and Final).

The shortlisted Skaters, Coaches and Choreographers are presented across six Award Categories (open for online voting), while the “Lifetime Achievement Award” and the brand new category “Special Achievement Award” will be determined by a Commission decision.
Public: Fans can cast one vote per user in each of the following categories: Most Valuable Skater, Best Costume, Most Entertaining Program, Best Newcomer, Best Coach, Best Choreographer.

ISU Skating Awards online voting platform (registration required): https://www.isu-skating-awards.com/

ETA the link to the press release listing all the nominees (from Karen's post #5 below): https://cdn2.isu.org/images/files/Media-News-Events/ISU-News/2022/ISU Skating Awards 2023 - List of candidates.pdf

Last edited:

Andrea82

Nice to read all the names of the costume designers (except for the two costumes whose creator is still mysterious)

VGThuy

I don't get the period from which they're pulling their nominations from. Wouldn't it make more sense to have these at the end of the figure skating season and hold these awards in the early summer? I guess they're afraid the nominees/skaters wouldn't be available to attend at that time, but combining the second half of one season and the first half of another is just strange. Could a program and its choreographer be nominated twice even if there are minor season-long adjustments made?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Interesting nominees…such as Scherbakova as Most Valuable Skater. Will Russians be allowed to vote? 😈

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I find it bizarre that there are only 5 "Best Newcomers"? :confused:

There's more than one reason why I created this thread in the Trash Can. :D
I don't even understand the choices they gave us for Best Newcomer... Levito and SmirSiia, but no McInMim or Malinin? Rinka Watanabe but no Kao Miura?

And, apparently, no new ice dance teams made enough of a splash either last season or this season to warrant consideration. Which makes sense since you have to work very hard to climb the ranks of ice dance and you don't just wind up even top 5 at a GP in your first senior season, but it's ridiculously dumb to not take that into consideration at all.

Orm Irian

I don't even understand the choices they gave us for Best Newcomer... Levito and SmirSiia, but no McInMim or Malinin? Rinka Watanabe but no Kao Miura?
Malinin competed in Seniors for the first time in 2020, didn't he? Host spot at Skate America? That probably means he's not eligible.

Karen-W

Malinin competed in Seniors for the first time in 2020, didn't he? Host spot at Skate America? That probably means he's not eligible.
I dunno... if so, that's sort of dumb since that was an almost entirely domestic event due to the pandemic.

Of course, him not being nominated in that category makes it VERY easy for me to vote for Safina/Berulava. 4th at a fully contested Euros and 4th at Worlds, even with the Chinese & Russians absent, is pretty impressive. Singlehandedly earned Gerorgia two spots at both events this season, which they will use for two good teams!

Sylvia

TBD
I voted for Chock's designs for C/B's "alien & astronaut" free dance costumes :): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cme11GsPPLb/
Excerpt:
My vision was to have an exoskeleton created on my dress. I wanted Evan to have a sleek, futuristic astronaut suit complete with gloves to protect from extreme cold on Planet Ice.🧊😉

Here are some early sketches of the alien and astronaut, as well as some photos of the finished product. These costumes will forever be one of my favorites and most memorable.

Karen-W

I voted for KanaDai's RD costumes from last season. I liked ChoBat's alien & astronaut costumes, but I felt, at least on TV, that they were rather muted in color, so they weren't my favorites.

Sylvia

TBD
Announcement of the finalists by the ISU yesterday (Jan. 19): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...s-of-the-skating-awards-2023?templateParam=15

Most Valuable Skater:
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who promoted Figure Skating – due to a successful competition season, creating (social) media attention and engagement in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted).

Anna SHCHERBAKOVA (RUS)
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA)
Nathan CHEN (USA)

Posted by the Ukrainian federation on January 6, 2023 (https://ufsf.com.ua/22299-2/): "Russian figure skater Anna Shcherbakova will remain a contender for the ISU Most Valuable Figure Skater award, but will not be admitted to the award ceremony if she receives the required number of votes. ..."
Translation (Jan. 19): https://fs-gossips.com/anna-shcherb...d-but-wont-be-admitted-to-the-award-ceremony/

Best Costume:
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple presenting a costume for the first time in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted) reflecting creativity, fashion, style and originality.

Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - Free Dance 2021/22 - Designed by: Madison Chock
Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - Short Program 2021/22 - Designed by: Satomi Ito
Loena HENDRICKX (BEL) - Free Skating 2021/22 - Designed by: Natalia Koma

Most Entertaining Program:
Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple for the music selection, expression, creativity, contemporary implementation, originality and overall performance presented for the first time in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted).

Donovan CARRILLO (MEX) - Short Program 2021/22
Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - Short Program 2021/22
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) - Rhythm Dance 2021/22

Best Newcomer:
Honors a young talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully for the first time in ISU Events on the Senior level in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted).

Isabeau LEVITO (USA)
Niina PETROKINA (EST)
Rinka WATANABE (JPN)

Best Choreographer:
Honors the choreographic work of a Choreographer who successfully inspired one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples. Program must have been performed for the first time in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted).

Shae-Lynn BOURNE
Marie-France DUBREUIL
Benoit RICHAUD

Best Coach:
Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted) with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples.

Rafael ARUTYUNYAN
Stéphane LAMBIEL
Patrice LAUZON

Excerpted from: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards

The recipients of the two following Award categories will be announced on February 5th, 2023 during the ISU Skating Awards ceremony:

Lifetime Achievement Award:
Honors a Figure Skating legend having achieved great success and popularity and is considered as a role model for the Figure Skating World.

Special Achievement Award:
Honors a Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who makes history by successfully performing a new / special / unique element or move or achieves something extraordinary at an ISU Event in 2022 (GP 2021 accepted) and pushes the boundaries of the sport.

The winners in each category will be decided through a vote by the 2023 ISU Skating Awards star-studded Jury, made up of six former Figure Skating Champions, whose names will be unveiled soon.

The winners announcement and Awards-giving ceremony will take place on February 5th 2023 in Zurich during a special show held in collaboration with Art on Ice. For the first time ever, the ISU Skating Awards will be staged live in front of an audience and simultaneously broadcasted on the Skating ISU YouTube channel. The celebrities Johnny Weir – Figure Skater and Commentator – and Elma Smit – Sports Reporter and TV Presenter – (read here) will form a unique duo to host this year’s show, promising to provide viewers with exclusive insights interviews and backstage content of the 2023 ISU Skating Awards Nominees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information