ISU Communication No. 2388: Entries/Participation 2022 Olympics in Singles, Pairs & Ice Dance

Sylvia

TBD
Nebelhorn Trophy, Oberstdorf / GER, 22. – 25.09.2021 - copied out from the final 2 pages (pp. 13-14) of the Announcement document: https://eislauf-union.de/files/user...021_OWGQualifyingCompetition_Announcement.pdf

OWG Qualification (* = extra spot countries are hoping to obtain)
Nation (75 total) Men Ladies Pairs Ice Dance

Andorra AND 1 1 1 1
Argentina ARG 1 1 1 1
Armenia ARM 1 1 1 1
Australia AUS 1 1 1 1
Austria AUT 1 1* 0 1
Azerbaijan AZE 1 0 1 1
Belarus BLR 0 1 1 1
Belgium BEL 1 1* 1 1
Bosnia and Herzegovina BIH 1 1 1 1
Brazil BRA 1 1 1 1
Bulgaria BUL 1 0 1 1
Cambodia CAM 1 1 1 1
Canada CAN 1* 0 0 0
Chile CHI 1 1 1 1
China CHN 0 0 1* 0
Chinese Taipei TPE 1 1 1 1
Croatia CRO 1 1 1 1
Cyprus CYP 1 1 1 1
Czech Republic CZE 0 0 0 1
Denmark DEN 1 1 1 1
DPR Korea PRK 1 1 1 1
Estonia EST 0 0 1 1
Finland FIN 1 0 1 1
France FRA 1* 1 1 0
Georgia GEO 0 0 1 1
Germany GER 1 0 0 0
Great Britain GBR 1 0 1 1*
Greece GRE 1 1 1 1
Hong Kong HKG 1 1 1 1
Hungary HUN 1 1 0 1
Iceland ISL 1 1 1 1
India IND 1 1 1 1
Indonesia INA 1 1 1 1
Ireland IRL 1 1 1 1
Israel ISR 0 1 1 1
Italy ITA 0 1 0 1*
Japan JPN 0 0 1* 0
Kazakhstan KAZ 1 1 1 1
Kyrgyzstan KGZ 1 1 1 1
Latvia LAT 0 1 1 1
Liechtenstein LIE 1 1 1 1
Lithuania LTU 1 1 1 0
Luxembourg LUX 1 1 1 1
Malaysia MAS 1 1 1 1
Mexico MEX 0 1 1 1
Moldova MDA 1 1 1 1
Monaco MON 1 1 1 1
Mongolia MGL 1 1 1 1
Morocco MAR 1 1 1 1
Netherlands NED 1 0 1 1
New Zealand NZL 1 1 1 1
Norway NOR 1 1 1 1
Peru PER 1 1 1 1
Philippines PHI 1 1 1 1
Poland POL 1 1 1 0
Republic of Korea KOR 1* 0 1 1
Republic of North Macedonia MKD 1 1 1 1
Romania ROU 1 1 1 1
Russia RUS 1* 0 0 0
Serbia SRB 1 1 1 1
Singapore SGP 1 1 1 1
Slovak Republic SVK 1 1 1 1
Slovenia SLO 1 1 1 1
South Africa RSA 1 1 1 1
Spain ESP 1 1 1 0
Sweden SWE 0 0 1 1
Switzerland SUI 0 1 1 1
Thailand THA 1 1 1 1
Turkey TUR 1 1 1 1
Turkmenistan TKM 1 1 1 1
Ukraine UKR 0 1 1 0
United Arab Emirates UAE 1 1 1 1
United States of America USA 1* 1* 0 0
Uzbekistan UZB 1 1 1 1
Vietnam VIE 1 1 1 1

Excerpts from pages 5-6 of the Announcement:

Entries for the purpose of qualification to the Olympic Winter Games have priority.
Special attention must be given to the following:
a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice
Dance couples.
b) ISU Members who need to qualify in a discipline (have not yet earned the right to participate in that
discipline at Olympic Winter Games 2022 or who can earn an additional spot as indicated in ISU
Communication 2388) will be allowed to enter only one competitor/couple into the respective discipline.
c) All ISU Members who need to qualify in a discipline and wish to enter their one competitor/couple in the
respective discipline will be accepted, even if the total number of entries for the respective discipline
exceeds the numbers as mentioned in paragraph a).

4.2 Preliminary Entries
The preliminary entries must reach the Organizer by latest: July 1, 2021 by entering the information through ORS.
4.3 Entries by Name
4.3.1 Entries of Competitors
The Entries by names must be made ... not later than: Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Oberstdorf, GER)

Sylvia

TBD
I really hope Sweden will actually use the spots it qualified.
Fingers crossed! Anita Ostlund qualified for the 2018 Olympics via the Swedish Olympic Committee's "future promise" criteria so Nikolaj Majorov may be able get in that way as long as he continues to progress and show good results next season.
Uh-oh...

Majorov's mother, Irina Majorova, gave this interview to SE recently and there's no mention of the "future promise" criterion that allowed Ostlund to compete in PyeongChang:
Machine translated excerpts:
What is Nikolai's situation now?
- If about Josefin, the conversation immediately started, they say, she is of age, then Kolya [Nikolaj] was told - you are not so old, let's think about it. The federation has written an application for an Olympic scholarship special to prepare for Beijing. But he was refused, they say, you gain few points. But they would at least come and look at the conditions! It's like learning to dive without water. Logic in the style of "learn to swim - turn on the water."
Now everything depends on the results in the fall. At first he wanted to spit and finish, but then he decided that he had to fight in spite of these clever guys. But where do you get 258 points? We do our best, move 30 years later to another school, from Luleå south to Norrköping. It is very difficult, but we are working to get them. If we have a dad and a coach, and physical training, and SFP, and makes programs, I am a choreographer, prepare, massage, and at the same time a psychologist. We train on roller skates in the summer. Also sponsors themselves. Someone says - we want a lot, but we can do nothing. But look at the conditions!
But Nikolaj intends to score these 258 points?
- Yes, he is now at the training camp in Oberstdorf, he is preparing, thank God, they have been paid for. By the way, he had to show his vaccination passport. And I also went to get vaccinated yesterday. Because, quite possibly, soon they will not be allowed to compete without them. Another son, Alexander, who was not allowed to enter Pyeongchang, is currently working on vaccinations. He is a physiotherapist by profession, but passed it to a nurse and is now giving injections. There are queues - like in a mausoleum. We were brought up in the spirit of "first think about the Motherland, then about yourself." Maybe in our time this is no longer very necessary, but I think one can be proud of children.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Japan has confirmed they will not send a second pair to Nebelhorn Trophy (Olympic pair spots are open for 3 countries to win):
Re-posting here from the Japanese news thread:
Although Miura/Kihara earned Japan the right to compete for a second Olympic pairs spot, as there is no additional pair, JSF will only use one spot.
Countries with pairs at 2021 Worlds hoping to qualify an Olympic spot at Nebelhorn (in order of finish):
CHN (3rd spot), GEO, BLR, ISR, FRA, CRO, NED, GBR (eta on 7/15 to add France)

Will a North Korean pair show up at 2021 Nebelhorn like Ryom/Kim did in 2017?

Other countries that may send a pair to Nebelhorn besides Sweden?

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Japan has confirmed they will not send a second pair to Nebelhorn Trophy (Olympic pair spots are open for 3 countries to win):
Re-posting here from the Japanese news thread:

Countries with pairs at 2021 Worlds hoping to qualify an Olympic spot at Nebelhorn (in order of finish):
CHN (3rd spot), GEO, BLR, ISR, CRO, NED, GBR

Will a North Korean pair show up at 2021 Nebelhorn like Ryom/Kim did in 2017?

Other countries that may send a pair to Nebelhorn besides Sweden?
Spain - Isn't Laura Barquero back on the ice with a new partner? Switzerland had a team trying to make the Worlds TES minimums last season.

Sylvia

TBD
Spain - Isn't Laura Barquero back on the ice with a new partner?
Yes, Laura Barquero & Marco Zandron (released to Spain late last year) train in Bergamo, Italy. I assume he can get Spanish citizenship in time if they can qualify an Olympic spot?

Panja

What about France? Cleo Hamon and Denys Strekalin did manage to skate the FS at Worlds but ended as 20th. Not enough for a direct Olympic spot I think as in Pairs the ISU rule differs with having the top 20 skating the FS, and not the top 16. There's another pair as well.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @Panja - I accidentally omitted France from my pairs list yesterday (just edited my post #94 above to add FRA).
Switzerland had a team trying to make the Worlds TES minimums last season.
Yes, Alexandra Herbrikova & Nicolas Roulet competed at 2021 Challenge Cup in The Hague. Last month they announced on their joint Instagram account that they will be performing as an adagio pair on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas cruise ship: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQb72Y4n-4x/

Last edited:

Karen-W

Thanks, @Panja - I accidentally omitted France from my pairs list yesterday (just edited my post #94 above to add FRA).

Yes, Alexandra Herbrikova & Nicolas Roulet competed at 2021 Challenge Cup in The Hague. Last month they announced on their joint Instagram account that they will be performing as an adagio pair on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas cruise ship: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQb72Y4n-4x/
From the US Pairs discussion... Jessica Pfund and Josh Santillan appear to have completed the waiting period and will be skating for Switzerland. Not sure if he is able to get a Swiss passport before the Olympics should they compete at Nebelhorn and win a spot but they're certainly another team in the mix.

Sylvia

TBD
From the US Pairs discussion... Jessica Pfund and Josh Santillan appear to have completed the waiting period and will be skating for Switzerland. Not sure if he is able to get a Swiss passport before the Olympics should they compete at Nebelhorn and win a spot but they're certainly another team in the mix.
Pfund/Santillan will make their international debut for Switzerland at Cranberry Cup next week and their goal is to attain the TES minimums for 2022 Worlds since he isn't eligible for Swiss citizenship (edited to clarify) this season (link to read their July 22nd blog update): https://joshica.net/blog/uncategorized/dont-call-it-a-comeback/

"The Phlippine Skating Union has chosen to provide equal opportunity and process for our skaters who have expressed their interest to compete [at 2021 Nebelhorn Trophy]." PSU's Olympic Qualifier Evaluation, part 1 (virtually judged) results were announced yesterday, August 6:
PSU uploaded the video on their YT channel (38 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu8r3-7R7jw
Through the Philippine Skating Union Olympic Qualifier Evaluation, Christopher Caluza, Edrian Celestino and Michael Martinez will showcase their short and free-skate programs in an unedited footage that have been previewed virtually for assessment by international judges. The scores will then be combined with an in-person event which will vie the seat to get the country's lone slot at Nebelhorn Trophy, the last qualifying event for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Pfund/Santillan will make their international debut for Switzerland at Cranberry Cup next week and their goal is to attain the TES minimums for 2022 Worlds since he isn't eligible for Swiss citizenship (link to read their July 22nd blog update): https://joshica.net/blog/uncategorized/dont-call-it-a-comeback/
Actually, it doesn't say anything about Josh's eligibility for Swiss citizenship, rather that their goals are Euros and Worlds. It seems to me they're taking one season at a time so who knows whether they're aiming, instead, for Milan.

nimi

Bad news from Belarussia... If this is accurate, looks like we won't see BLR skaters in Nebelhorn:

The Ministry of Sports Imposed a Ban on the Travel of Belarusian Athletes Abroad
According to tribuna.com, the Ministry of Sports has ordered to exclude funding for participation in commercial competitions and training camps from the budget.

Earlier, a screenshot of the correspondence was published on Andrei Krauchanka's personal Instagram page, claiming that the ban applies even to trips at the expense of athletes.

Panja

Bad news from Belarussia... If this is accurate, looks like we won't see BLR skaters in Nebelhorn:

The Ministry of Sports Imposed a Ban on the Travel of Belarusian Athletes Abroad
Is Figure Skating a commercial sport? And Nebelhorn is an Olympic qualification competition, not a commercial league competition like in football. And there's only a bit of prize money involved for the winners of the Challenger series. Just some questions which weren't answered in the link to the complete article. It would be a pity if the Belarussians can't come

Karen-W

Is Figure Skating a commercial sport? And Nebelhorn is an Olympic qualification competition, not a commercial league competition like in football. And there's only a bit of prize money involved for the winners of the Challenger series. Just some questions which weren't answered in the link to the complete article. It would be a pity if the Belarussians can't come
I would say probably, yes, it does include figure skating. If the Winter Olympics were being held in a westernized democracy then I would also expect them to refuse to participate so that they don't run the risk of another high-profile defection like they had a few weeks ago in Tokyo.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
They had some pretty good skaters at Worlds 2021 in Stockholm. Isn’t Oleg Vasiliev one of the main coaches? I seem to recall seeing him at Stockholm.

Andrea82

Did Belarus qualify in any discipline so far? Do they have any likely contenders?
They qualified in Men.

They are (were) among the favourites to take one of the last Ladies spots. They didn't get at 2021 Worlds because their skater, Viktoriia Safonova, pulled out after a positive Covid test.

Their pair has some chances. I would say their Ice Dance teams have no chances.

Sylvia

TBD
The Philippine Skating Union is having their 3 men compete virtually and in person for the Nebelhorn spot:
After the Olympic Qualifier Evaluation first round (virtual judging):

2014 & 2018 Olympian Michael Christian Martinez currently is in Russia training with Nikolai Morozov but is/was dealing with an injury. He shared this video of landing triple Axels in practice on August 6: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSO2D68KWgp/

Edrian Celestino recently won the Quebec Summer Championships Senior Men's event with good scores: 71.98 (SP), 119.82 (FS), 191.80 total ("Round 2 is where the skaters join a separate competition and the scores will be combined with the virtual evaluation."): https://www.instagram.com/p/CSVVNThp1rQ/

Christopher Caluza placed 10th at Cranberry Cup this past weekend and the joy he showed while skating was appreciated by the audience. :) He scored 62.59 (SP), 105.31 (FS), 167.90 total in Round 2.

Alisson Krystle Perticheto (PHI) had the TES minimums for 2021 Worlds but unfortunately had to withdraw (her ISU PB total is 139.70). I don't know anything about her current skating status.

Sofia Frank, who will turn 16 on October 6 and qualified for USFS' International Selection Pool last season as a junior and this year as a senior, is now officially representing the Philippines. Her summer club competition high SP score is 57.96 (landed 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 2A at Glacier Falls) and 110.99 in her Cup of Colorado FS this past weekend where she was credited with landing 7 clean triples (3Lz+3T, 3F [clip of opening jumps shared via her Instagram] 3Lo+2T+2Lo, 2A, 3T, 3Lz, 3S+2T), plus received level 4s for her step sequence & 2 spins.
Here's a clip of Sofia's fun/upbeat SP to "Last Dance" by Donna Summer (final minute as filmed by Jordan Cowan in Colorado Springs back in May; she competed as a junior until Glacier Falls): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgeuk7GliaE

ETA:

Entries by name for Nebelhorn Trophy are due "not later than: Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Oberstdorf, GER)."

Last edited:

VGThuy

I can’t believe the Martinez/Caluza “rivalry” is still going on. I still remember all the hubbub from two Olympics ago.

Panja

Put Ernestino in the mix, and you've got the traditional two dogs fighting over a bone and the third perhaps running away with it. It's an expression in my country, not that I'm comparing any of these guys literally with dogs!!!!!

I saw Caluza skate (by way of the live stream) and he really was very happy and joyful last weekend. As @Sylvia says, this joy was appreciated by the audience and not only those who were present on location. I actually clapped behind my computer screen!

FSWer

The official document is published! And it's no April Fool's Day joke! :D

The entries for the Beijing 2022 were assigned according to the result of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 and the designated Qualifying Event Nebelhorn Trophy which will take place on September 22-25, 2021 in Oberstdorf (GER). The full list of entries is available in ISU Communication 2388. Link (7 page PDF):
Qualified directly from 2021 Worlds:
* = Chance for additional entry/quota place at OWG Qualification (Nebelhorn Trophy)

MEN (23)
USA 2 + 1*
JPN 3
RUS 2 + 1*
CAN 1 + 1*
FRA 1 + 1*
KOR 1 + 1*
ITA 2
CHN 1
GEO 1
SUI 1
EST 1
BLR 1
LAT 1
CZE 1
MEX 1
UKR 1
SWE 1
ISR 1

LADIES (24)
RUS 3
USA 2 + 1*
BEL 1 + 1*
JPN 3
AUT 1 + 1*
KOR 2
AZE 1
CAN 1
EST 1
SWE 1
NED 1
BUL 1
GER 1
GEO 1
CHN 1
CZE 1
GBR 1
FIN 1

PAIRS (16)
RUS 3
CHN 2 + 1*
CAN 2
USA 2
ITA 2
JPN 1 + 1*
AUT 1
GER 1
HUN 1
CZE 1

ICE DANCE (19)
RUS 3
USA 3
CAN 3
ITA 1 + 1*
GBR 1 + 1*
ESP 1
POL 1
CHN 1
LTU 1
FRA 1
GER 1
JPN 1
UKR 1

Remaining spots available to be filled by countries at 2021 Nebelhorn Trophy (including those going for a 2nd or 3rd spot):
Men: 7
Ladies: 6
Pairs: 3
Ice Dance: 4

Athletes quota (figure skating) at OWG 2022:
Men Single Skating 30
Women Single Skating 30
Pair Skating 19 (38 athletes)
Ice Dance 23 (46 athletes)

ETA:

From the OWG Qualification Timeline on page 7 of the document (dated 4 December 2019): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...tion-systems-3/22994-figure-skating-v1-0/file

Confirm 1 September 2021 NOCs qualified through the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 to confirm use of allocated quota places to ISU (for example, if JPN decides not to use their 2nd pairs spot because they have no 2nd pair to send to Nebelhorn).
DO WE HAVE A LIST OF NAMES OF SKATERS IN EACH DISCIPLINE THAT QUALIFIED?

Sylvia

TBD
Two news releases from the Philippine Skating Union (Aug. 20) - Edrian Paul Celestino & Sofia Frank will go to Nebelhorn Trophy:

Twenty-three-year-old Edrian bested out two other male elite athletes based on combined scores from the virtual competition of PHSU Olympic Qualifier Evaluation and the in-person competition of the Quebec Summer Championships. He is now training for the Nebelhorn Trophy, the Olympic qualifier event to be held at Oberstdorf, Germany on September 22-25.
“I think the one thing that I really look forward to is to be able to showcase my talent to the world and to also try to inspire upcoming generations that want to pursue figure skating. I think that’s one thing I look forward to in the coming years,” Edrian said.
Just like Edrian, up-and-coming athlete Sofia Frank will be competing at the Nebelhorn Trophy next month. The sixteen-year-old is the latest addition to the Philippine National Pool.
“I think I really need to work on getting more consistent and working on my artistry and components on getting higher marks… and my spins also in getting those levels and just making sure where everything is where it needs to be,” Sofia explains.

Andrea82

Incidentally, at the of Nebelhorn Trophy, there will be also the "draw by number" (I've never understood why they call it "draw by number" rather than "draw by country") of the Olympic judging panels in Oberstdorf.

13 countries will be drawn for each discipline.
The draw is structured by steps:

1. They start by drawing among Federations which earned Olympic spots in that discipline at 2021 World Championships.
2. If they are not enough (so if they are less than 13), they will complete the panel by drawing the remaining countries among countries which earned Olympic spots in that discipline during the Nebelhorn Trophy
3. If it is not enough, they will make a further draw among countries which had skaters in that discipline at 2021 World Championships.

Based on 2021 World results the situation is as follows

Men: step 1 will be enough. 18 countries earned Olympic spots at last Worlds. However, Georgia Georgia has only 1 ISU judge and she is currently suspended. So I suppose they can't enter the draw by number.
So they will draw 13 among: USA, Japan, Russia, Canada, France, South Korea, Italy, China, Switzerland, Estonia, Belarus, Latvia, Czech Republic, Mexico, Ukraine, Sweden, Israel.

Women: step 1 will be enough. 19 countries earned Olympics spots in Stockholm (but one of them is Georgia). It would leave drawing 13 out of: Russia, USA, Belgium, Japan, Austria, USA, South Korea, Azerbaijan, Canada, Estonia, Sweden, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Germany, China, Czech Republic, Great Britain and Finland.

Pair: they will certainly need step 2 and maybe even 3. 10 countries will have a judge based on spots earned so far: Russia, China, Canada, USA, Italy, Japan, Austria, Germany, Hungary and Czech Republic.
Countries which will qualify at Nebelhorn will get a judge. However, if China earns a third spot or Georgia earn one of the last 3, ISU would need to open up the draw further (those not earning a spot at Nebelhorn among Belarus, Israel, France, Croatia, Netherlands, Great Britain) to finalise the panel.

Ice Dance: in practice, no draw will be needed. At 2021 Worlds, exactly 13 countries qualified for Olympics and therefore (if they enter the draw by number) they will get a judge: Russia, USA, Canada, Italy, Great Britain, Spain, Poland, China, France, Lithuania, Germany, Japan and Ukraine.

Last edited:

Andrea82

We may not have to worry about Belarus. I see they have not withdrawn from JGP this week and their Fed also sent a judge to Courchevel.
Also I noticed that in track and field Belarussian athletes took part to meetings around Europe yesterday and today (including Diamond League in Switzerland).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
As expected, Alysa Liu and Vincent Zhou are going to Nebelhorn Trophy - link to USFS' press release today (Aug. 30):

Skate Canada will send Roman Sadovsky (his name appeared on their International Assignments page this past Friday).

ETA:
Entries by name for Nebelhorn Trophy are due "not later than: Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Oberstdorf, GER)."
Hopefully the initial entries will be published tomorrow for both the Olympic qualifying competition & ISU Challenger Series event.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over these posts from the Russian women's news thread since some are or may be relevant here:
Maria Talalaikina is going to represent Italy starting from this season (will move there and train with Angelina Turenko), Anastasia Gubanova is switching to ETA correction on Aug. 31 GEORGIA Armenia (she is staying in Russia and with Rukavitsin)
Adding both Talalakina and Gubanova to Nebelhorn could really shake things up. How many open spots are they fighting for? 6? Well, now with them, Alysa, Kurakova, and who else? This looks like it will be a good competition now.
Technically 6 but probably 7 since Sweden seems fairly likely to give its spot back; maybe even 8, if the British Olympic Committee gets really tough with McKay.
Paganini, Meite if she is back yet, not sure who else...
Mae is just now getting back on the ice
ETA:

FigureSkatingGeorgia confirmed on their Instagram account on Aug. 31 that Anastasia Gubanova will represent their federation ("Welcome Anastasia Gubanova to #TeamGeorgia!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CTPGvpBIB3Q/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nikolaj Majorov (SWE) fights for his Olympic dream (Aug. 26): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...fights-for-his-olympic-dream?templateParam=15
Relevant excerpt:
“My strategy is nothing different from all the others seasons. I give it 100% on all competitions and hope for the best that Swedish Olympic Committee will send me to the Olympics,” Majorov said.
Indeed, earning a quota place at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships is not quite enough for the Swedish NOC to send a Skater to the upcoming Olympic Winter Games in Beijing (CHN). Majorov – and also Josefin Taljegard, who placed 15th in Stockholm in what was her ISU World Figure Skating Championship debut – have to achieve a minimum score for the Swedish NOC. “The criteria is a score equivalent to the top 8 at Worlds,” Nikolaj explained. Evgeni Semenenko (RUS), who finished in eighth place in Sweden, scored 258.45 points. Nikolaj earned 192.79 points.
“I'm just going to do my best to reach it. I can't do more of what I'm capable of,” the Skater said. He knows it is a tough task, but he is going to give it all he has. “I will practice a 100% because it's not my choice if I go or not. That is all up to the Swedish Olympic Committee.”
His older brother Alexander, who enjoyed a long skating career, earned an Olympic quota place for the Olympic Winter Games in 2018, but was not sent, because he did not meet the strict criteria. However, he was selected for the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi in 2014 as part of the “future stars” program of the Swedish NOC that gives young athletes the opportunity to gain experience. Alexander had placed 18th at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013. He finished a respectable 14th in Sochi. He was 22 years old at the time.

Tobbe

Nebelhorn Trophy, Oberstdorf / GER, 22. – 25.09.2021 - copied out from the final 2 pages (pp. 13-14) of the Announcement document: https://eislauf-union.de/files/user...021_OWGQualifyingCompetition_Announcement.pdf

OWG Qualification (* = extra spot countries are hoping to obtain)
Nation (75 total) Men Ladies Pairs Ice Dance

Andorra AND 1 1 1 1
Argentina ARG 1 1 1 1
Armenia ARM 1 1 1 1
Australia AUS 1 1 1 1
Austria AUT 1 1* 0 1
Azerbaijan AZE 1 0 1 1
Belarus BLR 0 1 1 1
Belgium BEL 1 1* 1 1
Bosnia and Herzegovina BIH 1 1 1 1
Brazil BRA 1 1 1 1
Bulgaria BUL 1 0 1 1
Cambodia CAM 1 1 1 1
Canada CAN 1* 0 0 0
Chile CHI 1 1 1 1
China CHN 0 0 1* 0
Chinese Taipei TPE 1 1 1 1
Croatia CRO 1 1 1 1
Cyprus CYP 1 1 1 1
Czech Republic CZE 0 0 0 1
Denmark DEN 1 1 1 1
DPR Korea PRK 1 1 1 1
Estonia EST 0 0 1 1
Finland FIN 1 0 1 1
France FRA 1* 1 1 0
Georgia GEO 0 0 1 1
Germany GER 1 0 0 0
Great Britain GBR 1 0 1 1*
Greece GRE 1 1 1 1
Hong Kong HKG 1 1 1 1
Hungary HUN 1 1 0 1
Iceland ISL 1 1 1 1
India IND 1 1 1 1
Indonesia INA 1 1 1 1
Ireland IRL 1 1 1 1
Israel ISR 0 1 1 1
Italy ITA 0 1 0 1*
Japan JPN 0 0 1* 0
Kazakhstan KAZ 1 1 1 1
Kyrgyzstan KGZ 1 1 1 1
Latvia LAT 0 1 1 1
Liechtenstein LIE 1 1 1 1
Lithuania LTU 1 1 1 0
Luxembourg LUX 1 1 1 1
Malaysia MAS 1 1 1 1
Mexico MEX 0 1 1 1
Moldova MDA 1 1 1 1
Monaco MON 1 1 1 1
Mongolia MGL 1 1 1 1
Morocco MAR 1 1 1 1
Netherlands NED 1 0 1 1
New Zealand NZL 1 1 1 1
Norway NOR 1 1 1 1
Peru PER 1 1 1 1
Philippines PHI 1 1 1 1
Poland POL 1 1 1 0
Republic of Korea KOR 1* 0 1 1
Republic of North Macedonia MKD 1 1 1 1
Romania ROU 1 1 1 1
Russia RUS 1* 0 0 0
Serbia SRB 1 1 1 1
Singapore SGP 1 1 1 1
Slovak Republic SVK 1 1 1 1
Slovenia SLO 1 1 1 1
South Africa RSA 1 1 1 1
Spain ESP 1 1 1 0
Sweden SWE 0 0 1 1
Switzerland SUI 0 1 1 1
Thailand THA 1 1 1 1
Turkey TUR 1 1 1 1
Turkmenistan TKM 1 1 1 1
Ukraine UKR 0 1 1 0
United Arab Emirates UAE 1 1 1 1
United States of America USA 1* 1* 0 0
Uzbekistan UZB 1 1 1 1
Vietnam VIE 1 1 1 1

Excerpts from pages 5-6 of the Announcement:

Entries for the purpose of qualification to the Olympic Winter Games have priority.
Special attention must be given to the following:
a) There will, in principle, be a total of 30 competitors in each individual discipline, 16 Pairs and 25 Ice
Dance couples.
b) ISU Members who need to qualify in a discipline (have not yet earned the right to participate in that
discipline at Olympic Winter Games 2022 or who can earn an additional spot as indicated in ISU
Communication 2388) will be allowed to enter only one competitor/couple into the respective discipline.
c) All ISU Members who need to qualify in a discipline and wish to enter their one competitor/couple in the
respective discipline will be accepted, even if the total number of entries for the respective discipline
exceeds the numbers as mentioned in paragraph a).

4.2 Preliminary Entries
The preliminary entries must reach the Organizer by latest: July 1, 2021 by entering the information through ORS.
4.3 Entries by Name
4.3.1 Entries of Competitors
The Entries by names must be made ... not later than: Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h (local time Oberstdorf, GER)
So for Women - Nebelhorn - the toughest competition for the six spots might be from:

Armenia - Gubanova - if the transfer goes through
Belarus - Safonova - if the government permits
Czech R
Estonia
France
Hungary
Italy - Talalaikina - if the transfer goes through, or someone else
Moldova - Gracheva . if the transfer goes through
Poland - Kurakova
Switzerland - Paganini
Ukraine
USA

Surely I have missed some countries?

Last edited:

Karen-W

So for Women - Nebelhorn - the toughest competition might be from:

Armenia - Gubanova - if the transfer goes through
Belarus - Safonova - if the government permits
Czech R
Estonia
France
Hungary
Italy - Talalaikina - if the transfer goes through, or someone else
Moldova - Gracheva . if the transfer goes through
Poland - Kurakova
Switzerland - Paganini
Ukraine
USA

Have I missed any hot country that might surprise?
Kailani Craine from Australia, Sofia Frank is now representing the Philippines (was on the USFS' ISP list previously), Cyprus - depending on whether they send Zingas or Kitromilis (who did very well at Cranberry Cup), possibly Emmy Ma from TPE if she is still skating.

Czech Republic's Brezinova has already qualified and doesn't need to compete at Nebelhorn, same with Estonia (Kiibus' finish at Worlds qualified them).

France - Meite is only just back on the ice apparently and their other women aren't likely to finish high enough unless they've improved significantly since WTT.

Hungary & Ukraine - huh? Not likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information