ISU Communication No. 2388: Entries/Participation 2022 Olympics in Singles, Pairs & Ice Dance

Colonel Green

Regarding pairs, I don’t think China is a safe bet to be top three, if it’s Wang & Huang they end up relying on. They don’t have consistent triples and have had a number of events where they (mainly she) fell 3-5 times.

Where are Tang & Yang, who we didn’t see at all this season?

Sylvia

TBD
I really hope Sweden will actually use the spots it qualified.
Fingers crossed! Anita Ostlund qualified for the 2018 Olympics via the Swedish Olympic Committee's "future promise" criteria so Nikolaj Majorov may be able get in that way as long as he continues to progress and show good results next season.

Coach Simon Briggs included the #onestepcloser hashtag in his tweet today as a reminder that Natasha McKay still has to meet the "BOA [British Olympic Association] enhanced criteria": https://twitter.com/s1briggs/status/1377695502477709320
Since there is so much talk about the men and Nebelhorn...
6. France (Ponsart - is he still skating? If not, France and Australia swap spots as Siao Him Fa is behind Kerry)
Ponsart is listed as France's men's alternate for World Team Trophy. He finished ahead of Adam Siao Him Fa at the French challenge competition last Dececmber and behind him at Nationals in early February.
ETA: Ponsart won the silver at the Tallink Hotels Cup in February 2021 and Siao Him Fa will get a chance for a new ISU SB/PB at WTT in April.

Michael Christian Martinez has started his comeback for the Philippines (currently training in New Jersey) and, last I heard, Christopher Caluza plans for next season to be his last. If Edrian Paul Celestino is still training in Montreal, it'll be interesting to see who shows up at Nebelhorn Trophy to try and get an Olympic men's berth for PHI.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The competition for the men should be fascinating. I think Ponsart really isn't in consideration unless Adam suffers another injury that he's coming back from. Remember, he came back from 24th in the Euros short and quite nearly salvaged two spots for France after Aymoz's meltdown, coming up just short in 11th place. The odds seem likely he will at least hit one of the two programs very successfully -- but that's true of almost all of them, right?

The situation for Russia, for me, would be to just send the most consistent man as of early next season. The separation the Federations are going to have to make in their minds is to not send the one with the most potential, but the one most likely to just get the spot. Let the fight for who actually claims those spots happen throughout the fall and early winter. For that reason, and since Roman Sadovsky has really not had much of a chance to show he can be consistent, I'm wondering if Canada will again pass him by in the fall for Nguyen just to get the spot confirmed. Nam is much more steady in his scoring and results. But as we all know, a lot can and will change over the summer.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Russian men are going to be fun:
Aliev, Samarin, Ignatov, Mozalev, Kondratuk, Danielian to name a few. Which of them will be in shape in September and which will be `saved' for the `real' event and for later? Wil the one who will be in a top shape in September grab that spot or will they decide after the nationals/Euros? Will Kolyada/Semenenko be considered automatically or will they have several re-skates between these 6 to decide who goes to Oberstdorf and then between 8 of them to decide who goes to the Olympics? Am not even sure the ladies hunger games will be more fun than the men in Russia next year

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Aliev, Samarin, Ignatov, Mozalev, Kondratuk, Danielian to name a few. Which of them will be in shape in September and which will be `saved' for the `real' event and for later? Wil the one who will be in a top shape in September grab that spot or will they decide after the nationals/Euros? Will Kolyada/Semenenko be considered automatically or will they have several re-skates between these 6 to decide who goes to Oberstdorf and then between 8 of them to decide who goes to the Olympics? Am not even sure the ladies hunger games will be more fun than the men in Russia next year
Russia will wait for nationals. I agree with Tony, that they'll send whomever can make the top 7 which is pretty much any of them. My guess is that it will depend on the Russian test skates since they occur before Nebelhorn. Whoever skates best there, apart from Kolyada and Semenenko, they'll send to Germany. As for who will get the Olympics spot, Nationals is the test. They can use Europeans or if it didn't happen again for some reason, the RC final.

Cherub721

YEAH!

Semenko isn't guaranteed anything. The way the Russians are, I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear anything about him again. I vaguely remember that young man who took Voronov's Olympic spot in 2010. He had a good skate in Vancouver IIRC then he broke a blade in competition and disappeared forever.

Maybe Semenenko doesn't really exist and was a CGI phantom Russia sent in to get that third potential spot.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm absolutely delighted for Donovan, Mexico, and for you, @Braulio!

I confess myself a lot nervous for Brendan at Nebelhorn, eyeing off that list of bigger countries vying for the additional slots at Nebelhorn. He's going to have to make sure he's on his A-game.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Semenko isn't guaranteed anything. The way the Russians are, I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear anything about him again. I vaguely remember that young man who took Voronov's Olympic spot in 2010. He had a good skate in Vancouver IIRC then he broke a blade in competition and disappeared forever.

Maybe Semenenko doesn't really exist and was a CGI phantom Russia sent in to get that third potential spot.
Borodulin. You are welcome

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes, we should all thank Tony for explaining it in a way that made sense and was consistent with the ISU communication.
Thank you; hope it truly helped the people who were confused and/or read the alternate scenario. Even though I have no serious relationship to any of the skaters or coaches involved, I just wanted to reiterate to them that the rules are the rules, regardless of what they were told or how they were feeling based on other info they had read-- they had qualified for their country. And I'm happy the ISU did it fairly quickly. Not Monday as I had heard, but also not April 11th.

And now I have a 5-month head start on being prepared for the misinterpreted/confused info coming from Nebelhorn.

Evilynn

((Swedish skating dudes))
Fingers crossed! Anita Ostlund qualified for the 2018 Olympics via the Swedish Olympic Committee's "future promise" criteria so Nikolaj Majorov may be able get in that way as long as he continues to progress and show good results next season.

Majorov is hoping he'll get in on that criteria, the other option is to score as many points as Semenenko did at Worlds, since the Swedish Olympic Committee's other criteria is "At least 8th place at Worlds, or achieving the same points at another competition".

Taljegård didn't think that it would be impossible to reach that score if she adds and nails her hardest jumps, but I'm guessing the best chance of any Swedish skater being sent is Majorov (if he does well next season) for being promising.

Colonel Green

So the spots currently in danger of being given back, I believe, are Sweden’s (due to their athlete criteria) and Lithuania’s dance spot (if Allison doesn’t get citizenship). Any others?

Alilou

Ubercavorter

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Then the SOC is the Grinch. Makes no sense.
The Swedish Olympic Committee’s priority is medal potential or future medal potential. They are paying for the athletes to go to the Olympics and if they feel that the athletes are not a good investment that’s their priority. It goes against Olympic values, but it makes complete sense.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The Swedish Olympic Committee’s priority is medal potential or future medal potential. They are paying for the athletes to go to the Olympics and if they feel that the athletes are not a good investment that’s their priority. It goes against Olympic values, but it makes complete sense.

Minding the Swedish people’s tax “dollars”...and they pay a lot.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It would certainly cut the costs of hosting athletes if more countries used this criteria. :lol:

Carolla5501

I think the problem with that though is it discourages people from even trying. So if people don’t even try to go into the sport because I have to be a medal contender to get to the Olympics they may not ever get a contender.

If a young athlete with potential gets discouraged when they figure out this policy and doesn’t stay at it, they may never reach their full potential. So they might have been a medal contender but because this policy didn’t give them an intermediate goal of the 2022 Olympics on their way to the 2026 Olympics they quit in 2020 and you never had an Olympic contender.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think the problem with that though is it discourages people from even trying. So if people don’t even try to go into the sport because I have to be a medal contender to get to the Olympics they may not ever get a contender.

If a young athlete with potential gets discouraged when they figure out this policy and doesn’t stay at it, they may never reach their full potential. So they might have been a medal contender but because this policy didn’t give them an intermediate goal of the 2022 Olympics on their way to the 2026 Olympics they quit in 2020 and you never had an Olympic contender.
Weirdest thing just happened here. I got a notification that you quoted a post of mine, clicked on it and was taken to this post. But you quoted allezfred :confused: :lol:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
When my daughter was briefly training in England, there was BOA standards in place they called it the “eddy eagle” rule. Is that still in place for Olympic standards for British athletes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information